The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nocticron Lens Shade

plinden

Do any of you Nocticron owners have this problem? My lens shade leaves a sticky residue on the lens barrel.

It looks like the adhesive on the band underneath the securing screw oozes out, in warm conditions, and the resulting goo attaches to the lens barrel. This makes it difficult to pull the shade off, and it leaves a residue. See the photos.

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do about it?

Thank you,
Peter

ricseet

I cleaned my off with water. Wonder what Pana was thinking by using sticky tape as a band aid. Very poor workmanship for such an expensive lens.

Snapshot32

I too have 'THE problem'. It's minor but a nuisance, when lower quality lenses have better shade/barrel connection.

My ideal is the Olympus m.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO Lens shade attachment, or the older Leica Summicron 35mm. The Summicron was similar to the m.Zuiko, but used a ringed groove on the barrel instead of a bayonet on the m.Zuiko. Of course the bayonet is needed for the petal shade for proper orientation.

Furthermore, ideally, a shock resistant plastic or better, nylon, rather than metal that transfers any shock to the lens body.

Methinks it was a design for the yearly vacation shooters, and lens strokers.

FWIW, adding and Arca L type bracket and a silicone hand bracelet around the shade helps keep the lens/body off hard surfaces.

My 3 cents <vbg>

Snapshot32

Any one get Panasonic to fix the lens shade oozing issue? May I ask what they did besides just cleaning everything?

[1] Do they have a new smarter real world design shade?
[2] Are they added a bayonet mount to the lens barrel 'a la' Oly 12-40 f2.8 Pro?
[3] Changing to a clip on design like the Summicron?
[4] Replacement with a quality plastic hood???

Any hints welcome before I send mine in. Just a cleaning is not the resolution. It's a bad shade and a bad connection.

Thank you for any forthcoming user/Pana solution.

Knorp

Having the lens for just two weeks, so far I didn't notice any issues.
However, with you guys experiences in mind I made sure not to over tighten that little screw and so preventing exsessive pressure on the tape.
There is amazingly little force required to safely keep the hood from moving and sliding off the lens barrel.
But with the temperatures down, only time will tell, that is till next spring/summer, if this meassure will work out alright ... :eek:

All the very best.

plinden

Panasonic wanted me to send in the whole lens to take a look. I needed the lens so I ended up buying a nice screw in hood from B&H. Peter

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Panasonic wanted me to send in the whole lens to take a look. I needed the lens so I ended up buying a nice screw in hood from B&H. Peter
A screw-in hood offers unbeatable protection for the lens. A good choice if you ask me :thumbup:

Knorp

A screw-in hood offers unbeatable protection for the lens. A good choice if you ask me :thumbup:
Agreed, for some other lenses I'm using B+W screw-in metal or rubber lens shades. Made of plastic or nylon would perhaps have been an even better solution. But alas ...

Kind regards.

Snapshot32

Small update in the shade / hood issue. Problem solved with a workaround.... (Which should not be for a lens' at that price point)

Sell the metal hood to a week-end shooter, and get a MATIN 67mm lens hood, which is plastic and bayonet adapter mounted, AND here is the secret!

Get a 1 cup (236ml) round Pyrex lid to use as a lens cover on top of the Matin hood..... Choice of red or green, maybe blue in some countries. Use Pledge or Butcher Block wax (Q-Tip application, let dry 15 minutes, then wipe clean) on the bayonet threads for easier removal/install of the shade on the screw in adapter.

Last edited:

zensu

I've had this same problem since I acquired this lens and it makes no sense. This is one of the best made lenses ever, period. Why the heck is the hood so poorly designed? I've called Panasonic USA and they won't comment on the hood other than to say send it in for repair. They won't give me an estimate on the cost of this repair. I think I will just find a hood on Ebay and toss this one in the trash unless anyone here has a better idea? :banghead:
Bobby

Knorp

I've had this same problem since I acquired this lens and it makes no sense. This is one of the best made lenses ever, period. Why the heck is the hood so poorly designed? I've called Panasonic USA and they won't comment on the hood other than to say send it in for repair. They won't give me an estimate on the cost of this repair. I think I will just find a hood on Ebay and toss this one in the trash unless anyone here has a better idea? :banghead:
Bobby
Sorry Bobby, no better ideas other than what I wrote last November.
And still going strong ...

Kind regards.

Knorp

The problem is with that self-adhesive tape and in particular the glue.
If you're thinking of looking for a replacement of the original hood, perhaps its worth trying to find other tape less prone to bleeding.
I'm sure that's what Panasonic's 'repair' is all about.
Problem is to find one-sided self-adhesive tape with the correct thickness.

All the best.

zensu

Sorry Bobby, no better ideas other than what I wrote last November.
And still going strong ...

Kind regards.
Thanks Bart!
Which B+W hood are you using? Ebay is like rolling the dice, sometimes you find something great, sometimes not. B+W sounds like a winner from the start. Most of my filters are B+W.
Bobby

scott kirkpatrick

Re:Lens Shade

Even the "ideal" lens shade that comes with the 12-40/2.8 Olympus lens can let you down. I popped the end cap loose on mine by putting the camera nose down in my car's cup-holder. Didn't reassemble it quite right, and now it no longer locks in place. Grrr (but it's mostly my fault).

scott

Knorp

Thanks Bart!
Which B+W hood are you using? Ebay is like rolling the dice, sometimes you find something great, sometimes not. B+W sounds like a winner from the start. Most of my filters are B+W.
Bobby
Hi there Bobby,

please keep in mind I'm still using the original hood ... ;)
But here goes: as the original hood is quite deep (67mm filter size), you should consider a tele-lens hood.

B+W nr.960 ø67mm Screw-In Aluminum Metal Telephoto Lens Hood (estimate 36 Euro)

Nb I've always ordered my lens hoods from Foto Huppert Germany.

Kind regards.

Last edited:

zensu

Hi there Bobby,

please keep in mind I'm still using the original hood ... ;)
But here goes: as the original hood is quite deep (67mm filter size), you should consider a tele-lens hood.

B+W nr.960 ø67mm Screw-In Aluminum Metal Telephoto Lens Hood (estimate 36 Euro)

Nb I've always ordered my lens hoods from Foto Huppert Germany.

Kind regards.
Is there a lens cap that will fit this hood? I've seen a Heliopan Tele lens hood that also includes a 67mm lens cap.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800780-REG/Heliopan_72067H_67_mm_Metal_Lens.html

I don't know if this will vignette on the P/L 42.5, have you heard anything about this hood?
Thanks, Bobby

Knorp

Is there a lens cap that will fit this hood? I've seen a Heliopan Tele lens hood that also includes a 67mm lens cap.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800780-REG/Heliopan_72067H_67_mm_Metal_Lens.html

I don't know if this will vignette on the P/L 42.5, have you heard anything about this hood?
Thanks, Bobby
Hi Tony,

I think the long hood is fine as it has more or less the same shape as the original hood.
Checked the B&H-link, but the lens cap is an extra $3.95 (Sensei - 67mm Center Pinch Snap-On Lens Cap).
Using my Nocticron without lens cap, but then it lives in a plastic bag.

Kind regards.

zensu

Hi Tony,

I think the long hood is fine as it has more or less the same shape as the original hood.
Checked the B&H-link, but the lens cap is an extra $3.95 (Sensei - 67mm Center Pinch Snap-On Lens Cap).
Using my Nocticron without lens cap, but then it lives in a plastic bag.

Kind regards.
I discovered that the original hood that comes with the 42.5mm F1.2 lens has a 77mm front opening on the lens hood so I'm sure to be safe that a 77mm lens hood with a step up ring 67mm->77mm to attach this to the lens threads would not vignette. Heliopan makes such a hood that also accepts a 77mm lens cap on the front of the hood.
This has caused me endless grief trying to get around this glue leaking oem hood so much so that I saying now "To heck with it! I'll just use the OEM Hood in situations where a lot of flare is present, clean off the glue when done, and keep it stowed away in normal light". :banghead:
Bobby

Knorp

I discovered that the original hood that comes with the 42.5mm F1.2 lens has a 77mm front opening on the lens hood so I'm sure to be safe that a 77mm lens hood with a step up ring 67mm->77mm to attach this to the lens threads would not vignette. Heliopan makes such a hood that also accepts a 77mm lens cap on the front of the hood.
This has caused me endless grief trying to get around this glue leaking oem hood so much so that I saying now "To heck with it! I'll just use the OEM Hood in situations where a lot of flare is present, clean off the glue when done, and keep it stowed away in normal light". :banghead:
Bobby
That's the spirit, Bobby :) Now go out and post some !

Kind regards.