Site Sponsors

Thread: G1 attached to my Leica Televid 77 Spotting Scope

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

G1 attached to my Leica Televid 77 Spotting Scope

So my Leica capera adapter came, and while I'm still waiting on my T mount to 4/3rds adapter, I realized I had a T mount to Nikon, and a Nikon to 4/3rds, so I was able to cobble it all together for some initial -- very initial -- testing.

First off, there was some play in the 4 mounts used, plus I need a better plate for the scope, and admittedly I was too lazy to get my larger tripod out as it's packed for Moab. Plus it is a gray, overcast day, so not a lot of light. Anyway, no doubt this set-up can do a bit better, but here is an very early shot just to try it out.

First the set-up. Note the 4 adapters from scope to camera; Leica scope to T mount, T mount to Nikon F, Nikon F to 4/3rds, 4/3rds to G1:

Next, the scene as it appears shot with the G1, kit lens set to normal or 25mm. The hose on the house across the street is about 50 meters away:

Next, the full frame on the G1, same shooting position as above as seen through the scope, straight from the camera:

Finally, here is an actual pixel crop from the above image. I realize it isn't super sharp, but then I don't know what sharp from a 1000mm tele on the G1 is supposed to look like:

Anyway, I think it shows some promise, so stay tuned for more to come AFTER Moab and after I get the T to 4/3rds adapter.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G1 attached to my Leica Televid 77 Spotting Scope

Cool.

Can't help but notice that your G1 lens setup resembles your outside plumbing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fortunately, that's my neighbor's outside plumbing, not mine
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Lupo

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    So my Leica capera adapter came, and while I'm still waiting on my T mount to 4/3rds adapter, I realized I had a T mount to Nikon, and a Nikon to 4/3rds, so I was able to cobble it all together for some initial -- very initial -- testing....
    In Germany I would have long been arrested.

either because of the telescope in the neighborhood,
    or of the crooked pipes.

Lupo

Fortunately, that's my neighbor's outside plumbing, not mine
    Oh, sorry

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just realized this is actually an 1100mm f10 lens when used this way, so equivalent to about a 2200mm effective tele on the G1(!)
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo View Post
    Oh, sorry

Don't apologise - he's only saying that - it is his plumbing really . . . . you can tell because, as David pointed out, it looks so much like his camera setup!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

The Street Shooter's Dream!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope you put that thing away at night.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

yehh, Jack...your neighbor needs a back-flow prevention devise on his irrigation system...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So my Leica capera adapter came, and while I'm still waiting on my T mount to 4/3rds adapter, I realized I had a T mount to Nikon, and a Nikon to 4/3rds, so I was able to cobble it all together for some initial -- very initial -- testing.

First off, there was some play in the 4 mounts used, plus I need a better plate for the scope, and admittedly I was too lazy to get my larger tripod out as it's packed for Moab. Plus it is a gray, overcast day, so not a lot of light. Anyway, no doubt this set-up can do a bit better, but here is an very early shot just to try it out.

First the set-up. Note the 4 adapters from scope to camera; Leica scope to T mount, T mount to Nikon F, Nikon F to 4/3rds, 4/3rds to G1:

Next, the scene as it appears shot with the G1, kit lens set to normal or 25mm. The hose on the house across the street is about 50 meters away:

Next, the full frame on the G1, same shooting position as above as seen through the scope, straight from the camera:

Finally, here is an actual pixel crop from the above image. I realize it isn't super sharp, but then I don't know what sharp from a 1000mm tele on the G1 is supposed to look like:

Anyway, I think it shows some promise, so stay tuned for more to come AFTER Moab and after I get the T to 4/3rds adapter.

You, my friend, are a MAD MAN!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just realized this is actually an 1100mm f10 lens when used this way, so equivalent to about a 2200mm effective tele on the G1(!)

Awesome set-up! The Televid is as heavy or heavier than some of the 1000mm mirror lenses.

olyinaz

Exactly Jack! Don't apologize at all for that image quality!

At any rate, unless the Leica is advertised as having a flat field at the focal plane (not common) you can probably improve upon your image quality at the corners and gain a bit of extra speed by using a focal reducer/field flatter in the image train. I know that Tele Vue makes a .8 model that gets good reviews and also William Optics has one. The key is to get one that's optimized for the focal length of your scope.

Cheers,
    Oly

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm... should I consider this for street photography? Jack, can you do me a favour?
    Take a stroll through the city with this setup mounted on a BushHawk, and see if you get arrested