The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just got a blue one

V

Vivek

Guy to get close-up you need the adapter which has the goggle part that wouldn't fit. We haven't been able to try the OUFRO yet to see what that does. For macro seeems like the Oly 50 macro is the one so far.
Yes, in addition to the OUFRO (I want hear what Jono (as well as everyone else) thinks if it is worth the $65/- I cost him.;)), the Oly 50mm and 35mm macros should do quite well.

Once I find some time, I will write more on the perfect (to me that is) macro option for the m4/3rds.

Last edited:

jonoslack

(I want hear what Jono (as well as everyone else) thinks if it is worth the $65/- I cost him.;)), the Oly 50mm and 35mm macros should do quite well.
HI Vivek
The Zuiko 50mm is great on the G1 (nicely balanced as well). What little time I spent with the OUFRO was promising - but of course, the range in focus is pretty limited.
Whatever, I'm collecting my G1 on the way home this evening (from a friend who was trying it out), and I'll try and do some tests in the next day or so.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay the Baby blue has arrived. Darn need to go back to college and get a engineering degree to set this thing up. LOL

Need how to turn some stuff OFF. LOL

To bad there was not a preferred menu setup so us newbies can get it going. LOL

Oh and Leica lenses have arrived from Leica for the workshop and Jack has John's adapter so i can try out a bunch of leica glass on this trip.

Jonas

Guy to get close-up you need the adapter which has the goggle part that wouldn't fit. We haven't been able to try the OUFRO yet to see what that does. For macro seeems like the Oly 50 macro is the one so far.
I had the ZD 50/2 Macro and used it with my E-510. Optically it is great for anyone wanting good resolution, neutral bokeh and high contrast. All that sounds good and many images from this lens are also very good. But... in the long run I found the images from the ZD50/2 Macro boring. I missed some soul in the images, there was no lens personality talking to me. That is perhaps only me.

Mechanically I totally disliked the lens. The lens is very much in need of a focus limiter. (That doesn't matter though when used with the G1 as we get manual focusing only anyway.) The feel when focusing manually is bad. The focus jumps a little when doing small adjustments. When switching direction the lens jumps a little (not holding the optical axis firmly at place).

For macro use I very much prefer the OM90/2 Macro which is just as "sharp" and mechanically very good. It also doubles fine as a fast long (to me equiv 180mm is long) tele lens.

So, I got in love with the ZD50/2 for a period. Then my feelings cooled off. I can fully understand many praise the lens. Thinking about it I may be one of the few not seeing it as a masterpiece.

regards, /Jonas

Guy Mancuso

Before I forget i would like to thank one of our great forum members for helping me acquire a very slightly used baby Blue G1. Also she is just one great lady and just finished giving her a nice lighting class last Sunday. Cindy Flood your the best and love having you as a friend and forum member. also special thanks to Terry TEBNewYork for helping me sell my 520 and being a great friends as well.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Does this mean Cindy is no longer shooting with the G1? I like to see her images.
Thanks, John.
No, no, no, no, no. I won't be parting with mine any time soon (besides, mine is black). :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
My friend wanted to sell hers, and Guy wanted to buy.... Fedex made it happen! Now Guy has "baby blue" and we can all look forward to G1 photos from the Moab workshop next week. I wish I could be there.

P

psurfer

I had the ZD 50/2 Macro ...
... The feel when focusing manually is bad. The focus jumps a little when doing small adjustments. When switching direction the lens jumps a little (not holding the optical axis firmly at place).
Jonas, that's what I was worried about (see my post from Jan. 22 in Jono's thread cf Zuiko to 75 cron to Zeiss). http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5163

I assume all examples of the ZD will mf w/the same degree of precision, or lack thereof... But I've not heard many complain about it -maybe they don't care, or haven't used a good manual macro, or don't want to criticize such a highly regarded lens? I'd still like to get more opinion before plunking down cash for lens And adptr.

Last edited:

Jonas

J
I assume all examples of the ZD will mf w/the same degree of precision, or lack thereof... But I've not heard many complain about it -maybe they don't care, or haven't used a good manual macro, or don't want to criticize such a highly regarded lens? I'd still like to get more opinion before plunking down cash for lens And adptr.
Hi,
Unfortunately I have tried one copy of the lens only. Maybe other copies are better, or worse, I can't say.

I had the E-510 for nearly a year. I spent quite some time at the Olympus SLR forum over at DPR. Many of the regular posters there are a bit touchy about possible (or impossible) imperfections when it comes to Olympus cameras and Zuiko lenses. I don't know why exactly... they are very quick to assume all sort of errors with what usually is called "Canikon" stuff... ;)

So, I have seen the problem with jumpy focusing mentioned a couple of times only. I can't count how many times I have read that the lens is the best ever produced, by anyone. I don't know exactly what to make out of that and you probably have better ask people you trust.

I read your question in Jono's thread. Maybe he replied somewhere, the thread is long and I just glanzed through it. The lens is a bargain and many have it, some more opinions on this should surface.

regards, /Jonas

jonoslack

Jonas . . psurfer
with respect to the 'focus by wire' on the Zuiko 50mm.
Having also used lots of macro lenses with 'real' manual focusing, I do understand what you're saying . . but I can't say that I've ever found it a problem. Of course one does feel one step removed, but even so.

I don't have any axes to grind, the macro lens I'm currently using is a sony one, the bokeh is lovely, the focusing is just a tad slower than the Zuiko, and a bit noisier too. You pays your money . . . .

The Nikon 105 VR is fast and accurate and big and heavy . . .

Terry

When I was at the camera shop a few weeks ago I asked to try the 50 macro. The demo one I put on the camera was a mess and the focus was mushy and very loose. Then they brought out a new one. The difference was night and day.

Jonas

When I was at the camera shop a few weeks ago I asked to try the 50 macro. The demo one I put on the camera was a mess and the focus was mushy and very loose. Then they brought out a new one. The difference was night and day.
Hmm. Sample differences or an abused demo copy? That's hard to tell. What I know is that I bought my ZD50/2 new and that the guy buying it from me had no complaints. Whatever that tells us. Maybe it is best buying it in a good shop allowing you to try it on the camera before paying. Bring a tripod and get close...

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Bill, I picked Bob up late afternoon yesterday from the airport for the Moab trip and he played with my Royal Blue G1, he liked it. i think we maybe starting a G1 revolution here. Certainly is fun , too many darn features but looking forward to bolting on some Leica glass this week and giving it a run for it's money.