The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 - Zuiko 50mm Leica 75 'cron Zeiss 50 sonnar and oufro

V

Vivek

So, when I've finished having my fun, I guess this will be off to the sale section, and with a pretty low picture count into the bargain!
If you can beat the plummeting prices, please do not list it but send me a PM. :)

T

terryc

With all do respect and with all sincerity, the G1 is what it is.

However I honestly am not sure what it means that Leica lenses lose their "character" when used on the G1 as opposed to the M8.

I saw similar comments when the M8 first arrived on scene when compared to M film cameras. I suppose and some have done so, you could argue the moment you put a UV/IR filter on an M lenses (for use on the M8) you affect it's inherent quality, etc.

For the sake of full disclosure I own two M8's and have many Leica lenses - my first M8 was purchased Nov. 9th 06, the second one mid December 06.

I want to stress that this is not meant to be confrontational or some exuberant defence of putting M lenses on any camera but a Leica. :)

Best regards. Terry.

V

Vivek

As long it (the lens) fits, and as long as I own a lens, I will mount it on any camera that I wish. :ROTFL:

X-mas (Russian state) circus with the Summicron wide open, on the G1.

Would have been mighty difficult for me with that lens on a Leica camera. A RF veteran might disagree but I am speaking for myself. :)

Last edited:

jonoslack

HI Terry

However I honestly am not sure what it means that Leica lenses lose their "character" when used on the G1 as opposed to the M8.

I saw similar comments when the M8 first arrived on scene when compared to M film cameras. I suppose and some have done so, you could argue the moment you put a UV/IR filter on an M lenses (for use on the M8) you affect it's inherent quality, etc.

For the sake of full disclosure I own two M8's and have many Leica lenses - my first M8 was purchased Nov. 9th 06, the second one mid December 06.

I want to stress that this is not meant to be confrontational or some exuberant defence of putting M lenses on any camera but a Leica. :)

Best regards. Terry.
Point taken - I'm absolutely up for putting leica lenses on any camera they'll fit on . . . . Of course, my point of view is entirely subjective, and on that basis unproveable.

I suspect that the truth of it is that I simply like the look of files taken with a camera with no AA filter . . . and possibly I also have an affection for the 'feel' of those Kodak sensors.

I'm especially vulnerable here, as I find it quite irritating when people bang on about film being better than digital :rolleyes:

Vivek - lovely shot - as far as being able to take it with a rangefinder - assuming you didn't need the 'magnification' factor of the slightly smaller sensor, then of course you could have taken it. Rangefinders are rather good at that kind of low light thing . . .

you could look at Robmacs auto iso thread

cam

if i had a G1, i would be doing exactly the same thing as everybody else -- putting on any lens i could :D

regarding the loss of character, that is my own personal opinion as a lover of glass. and i do think the sensor size is probably the biggest factor. i, myself, shoot on an Epson R-D1 which is not as good as the M8 which is not as good as an M film camera at showing the magic of a lens. the G1 is now the smallest sensor and it shows. at least to me.

i do not mean to ruin anybody's fun as many are obviously enjoying playing around. after all, you can never truly suppress good glass!

V

Vivek

Thanks John ( you could invite Bill to come over here to give his take), Peter and Jono. :)

Peter, It was shot at 1/200s, ISO400. I set the speed manually as the lighting was (colors and the amount) was changing constantly and rapidly. The final colors are processed to resemble what it actually looked like.

Jono, Yes. Rangefinders are good at many things. :)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

i do not mean to ruin anybody's fun as many are obviously enjoying playing around. after all, you can never truly suppress good glass!
Well said! Why ruin it by "coding", eh?;)

wolverine

Jono,
What adapter are you using? I have the oufro 16469 and it does not fit on my adapter. There is difference in a flange size (lack of knowledge of correct term - there are four of these on the leica m lens mount). Thanks, Frank

V

Vivek

Frank, Check if you are lining up the mounts correctly (red dots with red dots).

The OUFRO (or the numbered one)' s mount is just like any M lens. No difference at all.

jonoslack

Jono,
What adapter are you using? I have the oufro 16469 and it does not fit on my adapter. There is difference in a flange size (lack of knowledge of correct term - there are four of these on the leica m lens mount). Thanks, Frank
HI Frank
Mine doesn't have any number I can see - it just says OUFRO
but as Vivek says - they should mount okay on any Leica M / m4/3 adaptor (mine certainly does).

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Frank is correct. The OUFRO does not fit in the Milich adapter. One of the "cams" is too big for the hole in the adapter. John is working on a revision. According to JBHIII, there is some difference in tolerance to Leica lenses. My OUFRO and my Leica branded 90mm LTM to M adapter both do not fit in the Milich M to G1 adapter at the moment. The rest of my Leica M-mount lenses do (35 lux pre, 50 lux pre, 90 cron pre.) Terry said that her 50 lux pre does not fit.

Frank is correct. The OUFRO does not fit in the Milich adapter. One of the "cams" is too big for the hole in the adapter. John is working on a revision. According to JBHIII, there is some difference in tolerance to Leica lenses. My OUFRO and my Leica branded 90mm LTM to M adapter both do not fit in the Milich M to G1 adapter at the moment. The rest of my Leica M-mount lenses do (35 lux pre, 50 lux pre, 90 cron pre.) Terry said that her 50 lux pre does not fit.
In fact, there are three different M lens mount "flavours". This is because of the keying-in mechanism for the finder frames. The difference is indeed the length of one of the bayonet "claws" (or, segments of flange, or whatever...).
The one closest to the milled-out bayonet lock position is shortest for those lenses that use the 35/135 position (where the selection lever on the camera front is pointing a little away from the lens), a bit longer for 50 lenses (lever straight up), and longest fot the 90 frame (lever pointing slightly inward to the lens).

If one looks inside the mount on the camera body, the little nubbin that governs the selection lever and the frames is visible, and that´s what is pushed into different positions by this bayonet claw.

I happen to have the complete set of LTM-to-M adapters for the three frames, and only the 35/135 one can be mounted properly on my Novoflex adapter. Since the frame keying isn´t used, it doesn´t really matter which adapter I use for which lens (on the G1), but I can understand why some mounts have this problem and some don´t.

The "final" solution: all adapters should be designed so they accept the 90 mount without problems; then everything else should work, too.

I don´t own an OUFRO, but I bet this is at the root of the problem there, too.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
In fact, there are three different M lens mount "flavours". This is because of the keying-in mechanism for the finder frames. The difference is indeed the length of one of the bayonet "claws" (or, segments of flange, or whatever...).
The one closest to the milled-out bayonet lock position is shortest for those lenses that use the 35/135 position (where the selection lever on the camera front is pointing a little away from the lens), a bit longer for 50 lenses (lever straight up), and longest fot the 90 frame (lever pointing slightly inward to the lens).

If one looks inside the mount on the camera body, the little nubbin that governs the selection lever and the frames is visible, and that´s what is pushed into different positions by this bayonet claw.

I happen to have the complete set of LTM-to-M adapters for the three frames, and only the 35/135 one can be mounted properly on my Novoflex adapter. Since the frame keying isn´t used, it doesn´t really matter which adapter I use for which lens (on the G1), but I can understand why some mounts have this problem and some don´t.

The "final" solution: all adapters should be designed so they accept the 90 mount without problems; then everything else should work, too.

I don´t own an OUFRO, but I bet this is at the root of the problem there, too.
Per, Thank you for this detailed explanation of the tolerances.

I still wonder why my Leica 50 pre-ASPH fits in the Milich adapter and Terry's Leica 50 pre-ASPH doesn't.