Site Sponsors

Thread: LX100 and GM5

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LX100 and GM5

Well, they're here and quite exciting. Hooray for EVF's! As someone old enough to be affected by presbyopia, I applaud.

The LX100 looks to be the camera that I was looking for/hoping for way back in 2000 when I first started looking at digital. The Panasonic LC1 (2004) almost lured me. Time will tell if the lens delivers, but this configuration could handle about 85% of the shots I take.
    Best regards,
    John.
    http://jburnett.ca
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: LX100 and GM5

I pre=ordered the LX100 early this AM. I did own the Digilux 2 and this is the closest replacement since that camera. Love the aperture on the lens, shutter speed dial and a whole host of other features....along with the simplicity.
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The LX100 looks like a winner to me... great use of the 4/3rds sensor and a lovely design.

I'll look forward to trying it out.

Thanks for the heads-up John.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I totally agree. The camera is solid (mg++ body) and seems to hit the sweet spot of a Goldilocks size but with amazing optics (very fast well into the upper mm of its range) and capability (4K? Seriously???). Plus, the built-in EVF and the 'analog' controls on the top-deck and lens barrel are simply superb.

I've been pondering a second, smaller camera when I didn't want to take out my 6D for grab and go occasions and this Lumix fills the bill. (And the price isn't too shabby either).

Looks like there will be a Leica badged version as well but no time delay before roll out!

P
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post

Looks like there will be a Leica badged version as well but no time delay before roll out!

P
    Have you seen any news on the Leica one and when it is due to be released?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Have you seen any news on the Leica one and when it is due to be released?
    The Leica rebadged DLUX Typ 109 should be announced today. Same camera but with the obligatory Leica sharp edges and grip removed (which is available, as usual, for purchase separately).

Post Thanks / Like

@John Burnett: I think I can concur about presbyopia

A really nice pair from Panasonic.

I do wish the GM5 could have had the top deck that the LX100 has.
    Interchangeable lenses with those controls in a small package would have been nice.

I give up trying to find an image of the LX100 alongside something else for a size comparison.
    Last edited by Tim; 15th September 2014 at 17:34.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would love to see that size compare if you find one. It looks like a great second camera.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    I would love to see that size compare if you find one. It looks like a great second camera.
    camerasize.com

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Compact Camera Meter
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a thought:
    The LX100 seems to be an amazing machine for day-to-day photography. So much so that I would rarely need anything else, and when I do, I could cary a GM5 in addition with a super WA and/or telephoto lens. Still, the combo with 2-3 extra lenses (7-14 plus the new, ultracompact 35-100 and the Zuiko 45mm f/1.8) won't be much over a kilogram in total.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Here's a thought:
    The LX100 seems to be an amazing machine for day-to-day photography. So much so that I would rarely need anything else, and when I do, I could cary a GM5 in addition with a super WA and/or telephoto lens. Still, the combo with 2-3 extra lenses (7-14 plus the new, ultracompact 35-100 and the Zuiko 45mm f/1.8) won't be much over a kilogram in total.
    Exactly what I plan but will be using my GM1 as I don't see the need to upgrade it.

I have both the 7-14 and 9-18 and already to choose from and already carry it with he Zuiko 45. Been waiting for the tele zoom....no longer need to carry the 20mm. I have some other fast primes like the 25 f1.4 and the Zuiko 75mm....and since the prices on the E-M5 have dropped so much I can keep the E-m5 for things where I need a tripod or sports where I do have the 12-35 and 35-100 f2.8 lenses.

Was going to move fully to Fuji but the LX100 will keep me in m4/3 (I like shooting 4:3 better than 3:2 anyway)
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah - I like the clean lines of the Leica but then will need to get a handgrip or half case so in addition the the extra $300 price tag on the camera you got the extra accessory cost.

3yr vs 1yr warranty and Lightroom.

But same delivery timeline of November

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah - I like the clean lines of the Leica but then will need to get a handgrip or half case so in addition the the extra $300 price tag on the camera you got the extra accessory cost.

Terry,

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. Despite the better price and probably equal output of the Lumix version in this series, the grip (and cleaner lines to a certain extent) that Leica has done in the past on their versions has made for a more appealing form factor for me.

And with this camera's additional mass and size I would guess the combination would be quite good. (But I never liked the pop-on evf as much as I liked the usefulness.)

I haven't had a Leica since my D2 died and I have been itching to get one again. (Okay, I admit it, I'm red dot slut. )
    P

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Terry

Another good thing is DNG raw file format and if the user interface turns out to be as clean as other Leica's, this camera is going to be hard to resist even at the higher price.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul_Kerfoot; 18th September 2014 at 18:49.

Post Thanks / Like

Darn. I really like the LX100 feature set and design, but I think the GM5 will be my calling. I still like small, and low light options. If I was a wide angle photographer that would work with the LX100.

I don't understand why Panasonic includes in-raw camera dev in LX100 (finally!) but not on the GM5 :-(

Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love the idea of the LX100 but the GM5 has more versatility - smaller size, more pixels. I must be missing something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    Darn. I really like the LX100 feature set and design, but I think the GM5 will be my calling. I still like small, and low light options. If I was a wide angle photographer that would work with the LX100.

I don't understand why Panasonic includes in-raw camera dev in LX100 (finally!) but not on the GM5 :-(

Ricardo
    I love the idea of the LX100 but the GM5 has more versatility - smaller size, more pixels. I must be missing something.
    I'm with you guys. The LX is a nice design but is quite large, with limited zoom. The GM5 will be a much more useful tool to someone who has a selection of m4/3 lenses already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'm with you guys. The LX is a nice design but is quite large, with limited zoom. The GM5 will be a much more useful tool to someone who has a selection of m4/3 lenses already.
    Like most designs, it works for some and not others. I have a raft of M4/3 lenses and carry a variety of different "kits". Yet, a few years ago, I tried supplementing them with an LX5. That didn't really work out because a) I like less noise at ISO 800/1600, b) no viewfinder and the external EVF was very low-res, and c) I found it just a bit too small in operation. OTOH, I found the lens range to be adequate for a camera I always took "just in case", and the general IQ was excellent for that size of sensor.

So, for me, the LX100 seems to address all these issues -- in spades!
    Best regards,
    John.
    http://jburnett.ca

Post Thanks / Like

The GM5 looks really nice BUT

1) the LX100 is available also from Leica and then shoots DNG in RAW
    2) the EVF is much higher resolution (I do not understand why the strategy of so many different EVFs at all)
    3) has a much faster lens
    4) is overall a much more pocketable camera and no need to carry separate glass
    5) I anyway gave up on m43 some time ago, so no real lust to get into this system again

I always loved my DLUX's and I am pretty sure this will be an adequate renewal of my DLUX line of cameras.
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post

2) the EVF is much higher resolution (I do not understand why the strategy of so many different EVFs at all)
    5) I anyway gave up on m43 some time ago, so no real lust to get into this system again

I always loved my DLUX's and I am pretty sure this will be an adequate renewal of my DLUX line of cameras.
    HI Peter
    I like 43 (now my only non-Leica system, although I do have some FE lenses).

A couple of points with respect to the Leica LX100 'clone' though:

1. It probably will shoot .RWL files rather than DNG files
    2. the price difference . . . . . . . . .. this time it's tiny (at least in the UK)

Here:
    LX100 = 799
    D-Lux = 825 (including LR5 and longer warranty).

3. Pocketable . . . the GM5 is actually quite a lot smaller:

Camera Size GM5 / LX100

Both interesting cameras

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post

Ricardo
    Hi Ricardo,

I also don't understand why Panasonic didn't install the EVF they put into the LX100 either which is why I'm going for that (well actually the Leica D Lux variant).

P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Peter

2. the price difference . . . . . . . . .. this time it's tiny (at least in the UK)

Here:
    LX100 = 799

Camera Size GM5 / LX100

Both interesting cameras
    Hi Jono,

you are very right with the size!

WRT DNG - I read this somewhere, cannot remember where. But really would love DNG!

I probably prefer the Leica LX100 version more though as it sure will keep its value much better than any Lumix camera

Actually the Leica costs around €1000.- versus €899.- for the LX100 - so also minimal price difference in Austria. Plus there came 3 years warranty with the Leica, which is more than the LX100 warranty.

All the best

Peter
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Hi Ricardo,

I also don't understand why Panasonic didn't install the EVF they put into the LX100 either which is why I'm going for that (well actually the Leica D Lux variant).

P
    That one to me is easier to see - size. The GM5 is smaller than the LX100.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post

#3 is a moot point- just put a faster lens on the GM5. It can change lenses, no? :-) You also don't have more reach beyond 75mm equivalent on the LX100, you can get more on the GM5.

Depends on which lens you put on it. With the Panny pancakes the Gm5 should still be more pocketable.

I really like Panasonic included in-raw camera development on the LX100. I wonder if the Leica version of it has this. Also from what I am seeing the LX100 is easier to hold/carry than the Leica version.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey... this is not the "If I could only have one camera for the rest of my life" thread. This is Getdpi. The LX100 is of course the not-so-compact-superfast-normal-zoom for the supercompact GM5. You are supposed to buy both of these cameras, not one or the other

This combo is what you will carry around when you can't be bothered to get the big, bulky M/Df/S/H5D/Linhof etc. (pick one or more alternatives) out of your custom designed, air conditioned camera cabinet

One camera... humphhh...

Although I don't own any of the super-cameras mentioned above, I do own too many cameras of different sizes, stored in assorted dry cabinets around my home and office, and my use of the LX100/GM5 combo (if and when I can afford it) will be exactly as described above, so while I'm joking, I'm not really...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I liked about the gm1 is that you can use the zoom outside and than in the evening you just bring the 17/1.8.
    I never put any other lens on it.
    If I bring more than 2 lenses or longer range I would rather use a bigger m43 body.
    Now that the LX100/Leica have such a fast lens I would probably prefer the all in one LX100 solution for a small camera.

I am intersted how good the fast zoom lens holds up to the interchangable m43 lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Now that the LX100/Leica have such a fast lens I would probably prefer the all in one LX100 solution for a small camera.

I am intersted how good the fast zoom lens holds up to the interchangable m43 lenses.
    Hi Tom
    So am I - so much so that I do plan to get hold of a D-Lux (seems to me that the small price difference and 3 year warranty make the D-Lux a no-brainer over the Panasonic.

Just this guy you know
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tom
    So am I - so much so that I do plan to get hold of a D-Lux (seems to me that the small price difference and 3 year warranty make the D-Lux a no-brainer over the Panasonic.
    The only thing that doesn't make a D-lux brainer to me is that grip. The D-lux seems to have the "handles like soap bar" of the Sony RX100, the Panasonic has a grip. On the other hand AFAIK all the finishes on the D-Lux are metal, the LX100 I read somewhere has some plastic in the ring or something.

My 2nd other interest is to see if Leica will do in-raw camera development. It's about time Panasonic does this, and this is the first camera that I know of they have that does it.

Finally would be interesting to find out if Leica tweaked the JPEG engine like the older LX5 or LX3 did. Way better JPEG colors than Panny even if Panny has gotten better over time.

- Ricardo

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tom
    Let us know what you think when you have it. I find it surprising how they achieved to make such a fast lens in this size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Peter

Here:
    LX100 = 799

Camera Size GM5 / LX100

Both interesting cameras
    Not such a great difference in the UK now Jono!
    LX100 = 699.99 including built in handgrip free collapsible lens cap and two years warranty and available now. (LCE)
    DLux 825, grip extra 59, 3 years warranty and Lightroom and not available yet.

I have bought my LX100 at the above prices as adding a grip to the DLux prices just made the difference too great. I need neither the red dot nor Lightroom. It is a delightful little camera to use with all the main user controls available as analogue switches, sliders or buttons but also very customisable if preferred. It could never replace my m4/3 compact system cameras, but that is not what this little beauty is about!
    Last edited by dhsimmonds; 7th November 2014 at 06:23.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Have you seen the image samples on DPreview? The GM5 samples are clearly superior to the LX100.

I don't know if it's processing, or a lack of it, but I haven't seen a really high IQ image from the LX100 yet. And I so much want this camera.

If anyone can point me to some good LX100 samples, I'd appreciate it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

have you looked at Jono's samples from the Leica? Everything should be the same except for jpeg processing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not...and I can't seem to find them. Do you by chance have a link?

Thanks.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Terry. Those are indeed some of the better examples I've seen.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will try and post some this week from Ireland.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious what the thoughts are of the owners ( those that use them ) of the LX100/D Lux since we've had them for a while.

I'll start by saying that I really like my D Lux. I like everything about it. But after reading Ming Thein's review and his comments on the lens I had to take a more careful look at my camera, specifically, the lens. Now, the only time I've seen corner to corner sharpness from a lens wide open was with the Sony RX1 and the Sony 55/1.8. And I've seen my share of soft corners with many lenses. The corners of this camera's lens isn't soft. Not as sharp as in the middle, but not a deal breaker. I'd say slightly less sharp! The D Lux doesn't have to go in the front pocket of my jeans ( no camera ever had ), so it's size isn't a factor either. I've read about the flare issue but have experienced yet.

Just curious about other owner's experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Joining this thread; interested in both cameras (as I have so many 4/3rds lenses).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
    Just curious what the thoughts are of the owners ( those that use them ) of the LX100/D Lux since we've had them for a while.

I'll start by saying that I really like my D Lux. I like everything about it. But after reading Ming Thein's review and his comments on the lens I had to take a more careful look at my camera, specifically, the lens. Now, the only time I've seen corner to corner sharpness from a lens wide open was with the Sony RX1 and the Sony 55/1.8. And I've seen my share of soft corners with many lenses. The corners of this camera's lens isn't soft. Not as sharp as in the middle, but not a deal breaker. I'd say slightly less sharp! The D Lux doesn't have to go in the front pocket of my jeans ( no camera ever had ), so it's size isn't a factor either. I've read about the flare issue but have experienced yet.

Just curious about other owner's experience.
    I really like my LX100 for some subjects. It is great to pick up quickly, take to a party, snap the grandchildren etc. It will never replace my E-M1's and Oly pro lenses for serious work but it is great as a second camera. I have even used it on an assignment for PJ work where it was essential to secrete a camera about my person and only reveal it after securing the confidence of the people concerned.

The subsequent raw images were perfectly adequate for editorial needs. (phew!)

I hope that this helps?
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com