The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX100 and GM5

JBurnett

Well, they're here and quite exciting. Hooray for EVF's! As someone old enough to be affected by presbyopia, I applaud.

The LX100 looks to be the camera that I was looking for/hoping for way back in 2000 when I first started looking at digital. The Panasonic LC1 (2004) almost lured me. Time will tell if the lens delivers, but this configuration could handle about 85% of the shots I take.

Terry

I pre=ordered the LX100 early this AM. I did own the Digilux 2 and this is the closest replacement since that camera. Love the aperture on the lens, shutter speed dial and a whole host of other features....along with the simplicity.

Brian Mosley

The LX100 looks like a winner to me... great use of the 4/3rds sensor and a lovely design.

I'll look forward to trying it out.

Thanks for the heads-up John.

Cheers

Brian

peterb

I totally agree. The camera is solid (mg++ body) and seems to hit the sweet spot of a Goldilocks size but with amazing optics (very fast well into the upper mm of its range) and capability (4K? Seriously???). Plus, the built-in EVF and the 'analog' controls on the top-deck and lens barrel are simply superb.

I've been pondering a second, smaller camera when I didn't want to take out my 6D for grab and go occasions and this Lumix fills the bill. (And the price isn't too shabby either).

Looks like there will be a Leica badged version as well but no time delay before roll out!

P

lambert

Have you seen any news on the Leica one and when it is due to be released?
The Leica rebadged DLUX Typ 109 should be announced today. Same camera but with the obligatory Leica sharp edges and grip removed (which is available, as usual, for purchase separately).

Tim

@John Burnett: I think I can concur about presbyopia

A really nice pair from Panasonic.

I do wish the GM5 could have had the top deck that the LX100 has.
Interchangeable lenses with those controls in a small package would have been nice.

I give up trying to find an image of the LX100 alongside something else for a size comparison.

Last edited:

JMaher

I would love to see that size compare if you find one. It looks like a great second camera.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's a thought:
The LX100 seems to be an amazing machine for day-to-day photography. So much so that I would rarely need anything else, and when I do, I could cary a GM5 in addition with a super WA and/or telephoto lens. Still, the combo with 2-3 extra lenses (7-14 plus the new, ultracompact 35-100 and the Zuiko 45mm f/1.8) won't be much over a kilogram in total.

Terry

Here's a thought:
The LX100 seems to be an amazing machine for day-to-day photography. So much so that I would rarely need anything else, and when I do, I could cary a GM5 in addition with a super WA and/or telephoto lens. Still, the combo with 2-3 extra lenses (7-14 plus the new, ultracompact 35-100 and the Zuiko 45mm f/1.8) won't be much over a kilogram in total.
Exactly what I plan but will be using my GM1 as I don't see the need to upgrade it.

I have both the 7-14 and 9-18 and already to choose from and already carry it with he Zuiko 45. Been waiting for the tele zoom....no longer need to carry the 20mm. I have some other fast primes like the 25 f1.4 and the Zuiko 75mm....and since the prices on the E-M5 have dropped so much I can keep the E-m5 for things where I need a tripod or sports where I do have the 12-35 and 35-100 f2.8 lenses.

Was going to move fully to Fuji but the LX100 will keep me in m4/3 (I like shooting 4:3 better than 3:2 anyway)

Terry

Yeah - I like the clean lines of the Leica but then will need to get a handgrip or half case so in addition the the extra $300 price tag on the camera you got the extra accessory cost.

3yr vs 1yr warranty and Lightroom.

But same delivery timeline of November

peterb

Yeah - I like the clean lines of the Leica but then will need to get a handgrip or half case so in addition the the extra $300 price tag on the camera you got the extra accessory cost.

Terry,

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. Despite the better price and probably equal output of the Lumix version in this series, the grip (and cleaner lines to a certain extent) that Leica has done in the past on their versions has made for a more appealing form factor for me.

And with this camera's additional mass and size I would guess the combination would be quite good. (But I never liked the pop-on evf as much as I liked the usefulness.)

I haven't had a Leica since my D2 died and I have been itching to get one again. (Okay, I admit it, I'm red dot slut. :) )
P

Hi Terry

Another good thing is DNG raw file format and if the user interface turns out to be as clean as other Leica's, this camera is going to be hard to resist even at the higher price.

Paul

Last edited:

raist3d

Darn. I really like the LX100 feature set and design, but I think the GM5 will be my calling. I still like small, and low light options. If I was a wide angle photographer that would work with the LX100.

I don't understand why Panasonic includes in-raw camera dev in LX100 (finally!) but not on the GM5 :-(

Ricardo

JMaher

I love the idea of the LX100 but the GM5 has more versatility - smaller size, more pixels. I must be missing something.

Glenn

Darn. I really like the LX100 feature set and design, but I think the GM5 will be my calling. I still like small, and low light options. If I was a wide angle photographer that would work with the LX100.

I don't understand why Panasonic includes in-raw camera dev in LX100 (finally!) but not on the GM5 :-(

Ricardo
I love the idea of the LX100 but the GM5 has more versatility - smaller size, more pixels. I must be missing something.
I'm with you guys. The LX is a nice design but is quite large, with limited zoom. The GM5 will be a much more useful tool to someone who has a selection of m4/3 lenses already.

JBurnett

I'm with you guys. The LX is a nice design but is quite large, with limited zoom. The GM5 will be a much more useful tool to someone who has a selection of m4/3 lenses already.
Like most designs, it works for some and not others. I have a raft of M4/3 lenses and carry a variety of different "kits". Yet, a few years ago, I tried supplementing them with an LX5. That didn't really work out because a) I like less noise at ISO 800/1600, b) no viewfinder and the external EVF was very low-res, and c) I found it just a bit too small in operation. OTOH, I found the lens range to be adequate for a camera I always took "just in case", and the general IQ was excellent for that size of sensor.

So, for me, the LX100 seems to address all these issues -- in spades!