Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: worth of the kit lens?

  1. #1
    Senior Member back alley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    the frozen north
    Posts
    428
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    worth of the kit lens?

    i'd like to get a second body but have no need for a second kit lens.

    if i were to get another kit and try to try to sell the second lens..what do you think it might be worth?

    joe

  2. #2
    Senior Member Per Ofverbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: worth of the kit lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by back alley View Post
    i'd like to get a second body but have no need for a second kit lens.

    if i were to get another kit and try to try to sell the second lens..what do you think it might be worth?

    joe
    The sad facts are:

    1) At present, the kit lens can be mounted on one camera model only (the G1).
    2) That camera is sold only bundled with that same lens.

    In another thread here (forget which), someone asked his dealer if he could buy the G1 body only - yes, he could, for USD 60 less than the complete kit...

    Keep that lens as a backup, or wait for more MFT cameras to be introduced. They just might create a market for a very good and very compact zoom lens...

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: worth of the kit lens?

    If it is $60 less, I would go for it.

    I hear that the kit zoom already has been replaced with a version II, in Japan.

    FWIW, the EU (lowest) is from Warsaw, Poland (Saturn, Media Markt) for the kit at Euro 424 (20% vat included).

  4. #4
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: worth of the kit lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    In another thread here (forget which), someone asked his dealer if he could buy the G1 body only - yes, he could, for USD 60 less than the complete kit...
    That was me, and actually it was $60 Canadian. As I stated, I felt it was better to buy the full kit $750 Cdn to have the lens for future selling the camera as a kit. This was really a one-off offer as the dealer felt he would use the lens as a demo etc.

    Ciao,

  5. #5
    Senior Member back alley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    the frozen north
    Posts
    428
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: worth of the kit lens?

    thanks guys.

    i guess i need to decide just how much i want a second body. been thinking one for the upcoming 20/1.7 and one for an adapter mounted 35 zm lens.

  6. #6
    Lupo
    Guest

    Re: worth of the kit lens?

    I think, if the little Oly appears to be the G1 kit lens very hot.

  7. #7
    pip22
    Guest

    Re: worth of the kit lens?

    One thing intrigues me -- how did you guys know the OP was referring to the G1 kit lens? Nothing suggesting that in his first post? I mean, evidently he was otherwise he would have corrected you, but how did you know?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: worth of the kit lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by pip22 View Post
    One thing intrigues me -- how did you guys know the OP was referring to the G1 kit lens?(...)
    I guess many of us are focused on the G1? That's just how it is for the moment. I admit I didn't think of any other camera or kit lens reading the first post.

  9. #9
    JCdeR
    Guest

    Re: worth of the kit lens?

    I have 2 G1 bodies and had to buy them both with the 14-45 kit lens. I sold one for 125 which was my original asking price, it was sold after 3 hours on the forum.

    There were at some stage some "body only" G1's for sale in Europe, but went for 615 if my memory serves me well. The kit at that time went for 739

    I have the Panasonic kit lens permantly attached to my black G1 and M mount adapter to my Blue G1, works very well I must say, the results of both are very good and quite surprising.

  10. #10
    Senior Member back alley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    the frozen north
    Posts
    428
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: worth of the kit lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by pip22 View Post
    One thing intrigues me -- how did you guys know the OP was referring to the G1 kit lens? Nothing suggesting that in his first post? I mean, evidently he was otherwise he would have corrected you, but how did you know?
    it's in the micro 4/3 forum?

  11. #11
    Senior Member back alley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    the frozen north
    Posts
    428
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: worth of the kit lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by JCdeR View Post
    I have 2 G1 bodies and had to buy them both with the 14-45 kit lens. I sold one for 125 which was my original asking price, it was sold after 3 hours on the forum.

    There were at some stage some "body only" G1's for sale in Europe, but went for 615 if my memory serves me well. The kit at that time went for 739

    I have the Panasonic kit lens permantly attached to my black G1 and M mount adapter to my Blue G1, works very well I must say, the results of both are very good and quite surprising.
    that's my plan as well but i'm thinking about a red one.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •