The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Yes, I think I would be able to live with this lens

silver92b

I finally decided to go for it and placed my order online a few days ago. I sold my 50-200, my PL 12-35 f2.8, a couple of Voigtlander lenses and I'm selling the E-P5 and a couple of other native Oly lenses. The PL 35-100 f2.8 will probably be next.

The O-M1 is really quite good and the 12-40 f2.8 is very, very good. I expect the 40-150 f2.8 to be even better. I can't wait..... Now if only my friend would quit showing me Leica M's for sale....

Knorp

What will be pretty interesting is that it focuses as close as 70 cm.
And that for a '300 mm' lens ...🔬

Kind regards.

silver92b

Much as I like the PL lenses (I've owned the PL25f1.4, 12-35 f2.8, 35-100 f2.8, 100-300, 14-140, 20f1.7 and more, I was blown away by the 12-40 f2.8. When I read that the 40-150 f2.8 is so good, I will be trilled to have it, and I don't think I'll miss the Pany lenses.
The 25f1.4 was superbly sharp and rendered beautiful pictures, but it did not seem to get out of my bag too much... The 20f1.7, for all the hype, was a disappointment for me. It would just not autofocus worth a damn in my E-M5. The other Pany lenses were very good and I really enjoyed them. I would never have thought to get rid of them until I got the E-M1 with the 12-40f2.8.

Based on my experience with the E-M1 and the 12-40, I can say that the 40-150 will almost round off my M43 system completely :D. I will try to get my hands on the 1.4 TC as soon as I can and might try to get the 7-14 lens when it appears. In the meantime, I still use the Olympus 9-18 ED 4/3 lens with the adapter. If I really need a longer reach, I will try to find a manual tele.

bcf

Hi Peter
I didn't think anyone would be that interested in my reasons, but if you are, it boiled down to two things . . .
1. 12mp wasn't enough to crop (and especially shooting events etc. I like to use a fixed lens and crop). Also foliage in landscapes wasn't good enough.
Jono, do you think that 16mp is enough to crop, while 12mp was not? I agree it is more pixels, but not that many. This being said, it might be enough to make a difference.

JMaher

The lens looks great and I did break down and pre-order it. However I wish I could have my cake too... more megapixels, etc...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The lens looks great and I did break down and pre-order it. However I wish I could have my cake too... more megapixels, etc...
I am convinced more MP will come already next year - I guess the new EM5? And maybe a year later the EM2 (EM3)?

24MP with same DR and high ISO performance as current EM1 would be all I would ever wish for! But even 20MP would be sufficient I think.

jonoslack

Jono, do you think that 16mp is enough to crop, while 12mp was not? I agree it is more pixels, but not that many. This being said, it might be enough to make a difference.
HI Bernard
I rather like 24mp as a 'perfect' compromise between usability and croppability . . . .but the 12mp problem was in conjunction with all the inherent disadvantages of full frame - bigger kit - much bigger lenses (and not as good as the recent µ43 lenses).

So - I can live with 16mp, but I'd like 24. Yes - I think it's just enough to make a difference (when combined with all the other advantages).

bcf

HI Bernard
I rather like 24mp as a 'perfect' compromise between usability and croppability . . . .but the 12mp problem was in conjunction with all the inherent disadvantages of full frame - bigger kit - much bigger lenses (and not as good as the recent µ43 lenses).

So - I can live with 16mp, but I'd like 24. Yes - I think it's just enough to make a difference (when combined with all the other advantages).
Thanks Jono. Makes sense!

Knorp

Just received notice from Olympus NL - lens will be available starting December ...

:sleep006: :sleep006: :sleep006:​

The good news is that it will be this year ... :grin:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
To all who want to know in this m43 forum and thread:

Today I sold all my Nikon gear (D800E and bunch of good glass) in order to make the hopefully final jump into mirror less! I am getting the EM1 kit next week plus the 1.8/75 and ordered the 2.8/40-150 including TC1.4. Actually this lens was the main initiator for this move.

In parallel I am working with the wonderful Fuji XT1 (I love the files from this camera) but it is a totally different beast than the EM1, especial WRT the lenses. I intend to use it more with high speed primes like the 1.4/23 and the 1.2/56 which are both outstanding and almost as good as Leica glass (if not better in some regards) - I know I might be killed for this opinion .....

Anyway I am now fully on mirror less - I did think very long about that move, but finally I almost never used the D800E and its 36MP (was in most cases too much) and in many occasions the lenses combined with my not so careful photography style (I like to shoot fast) did not deliver the real goods of this high MP count sensor. Maybe also an IBIS would have helped here, but as we all know this will not happen with Nikon DSLRs. Maybe in a future mirror less FF Nikon system? So I am confident I made the right decision and will not regret this in future.

Cannot wait to put the 2.8/40-150 on my EM1 - hopefully before December this year ;)

Geoff

FWIW, looking for something smaller for travel and to keep up with my son's birding photography. This system and lens really appeals. First one I've seen in a long time that seems to hit the sweet spots.

Knorp

:OT: You know what: living with that 40-150/2.8 is easy-peasy, but I'm wondering if I would be able to live with that 300/2.8 ... :ROTFL:

:chug:

All the very best.

Elderly

There is a new firmware out (2.1) for the EM-1 which claims to improve the focus performance for this lens ........ or so I read on the internet!

Knorp

There is a new firmware out (2.1) for the EM-1 which claims to improve the focus performance for this lens ........ or so I read on the internet!
Is it the official release ? There's is a so called firmware leak around.
Interestingly, reading the blog it seems possible to load the firmware by SD-card.
Not going to try this myself, so I'm looking for a volunteer aka Cavia Porcellus ... :grin:

All the very best.