The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus' m4/3rds system

jlm

Workshop Member
i have a pen FT with a 42mm f1.2 lens, same as in your opening shot; did you mention that lens? it looks like it would need an adapter...

V

Vivek

I love that mushroom shot, Vivek, it's an absolutely wonderful image.

Thank you, Steen. The 42/1.2 is magical. :)

i have a pen FT with a 42mm f1.2 lens, same as in your opening shot; did you mention that lens? it looks like it would need an adapter...
Yes, great lens.:thumbs: One of my favorites. Even more useful than my 50/0.95.

All pen F lenses need an adapter (barring one). Yes, I use them all with an adapter that is also described.

D

doubledan

Question for Vivek:

I am fascinated by the possibilities of PEN F lenses on the G1, but I have a basic (stupid) question: how does one calculate the equivalent focal length?

(I know that it's 2X for the Leica M and Canon rf lenses I enjoy using on the G1, but is it the same for the PEN lenses?)

Keep up the interesting work!

Dan

monza

I'll take this, Vivek. :)

First, there are no stupid questions. :)

Yep, to get the effective 35mm field of view for any lens on a G1, just use 2x by the focal length.

D

doubledan

I'll take this, Vivek. :)

First, there are no stupid questions. :)

Yep, to get the effective 35mm field of view for any lens on a G1, just use 2x by the focal length.

Thanks for the quick response, Monza. As I suspected, it means there's no way just yet to have what many of us want -- a reasonably fast wide prime for the G1 without vignetting.

(Actually, there are stupid questions, and I could give many examples, but I appreciate your kindness.)

monza

Yep. In any case, the widest Pen F lens is 20mm, which isn't even all that wide on a Pen F. But it is a great tiny option until the 20/1.7 Panasonic lens comes out.

I guess if one puts a Pen F on a Panasonic that makes it a Pan F.

D

doubledan

Yep. In any case, the widest Pen F lens is 20mm, which isn't even all that wide on a Pen F. But it is a great tiny option until the 20/1.7 Panasonic lens comes out.

I guess if one puts a Pen F on a Panasonic that makes it a Pan F.
Very good. Meanwhile, though, I've been using ZM 21/2.8, which is superb on the G1 but still about 1 stop too slow, not as easy to focus as longer lenses, and not quite wide enough for reliable zone focusing under some conditions.

The 20/1.7 Panasonic should be great (even if it isn't "great"), but I still hope for something like a 12 or 14 f2 with autofocus. If the latest rumor is correct, maybe the closest we'll come in the near future is an Olympus 12-45 zoom at f2.4 on the wide end. That would be a rather bulky lens, I imagine.

V

Vivek

The focal lengths remain the same and as I mentioned in the opening post, the pen F 42/1.2 is the perfect portrait lens for the m4/3rds sensor. Let me reiterate that this lens was tested to be the fuzzy one in the pen F line-up!:shocked:

Pen F 42/1.2, G1, f/1.2, 1/50s, ISO800

W

wblynch

The focal lengths remain the same and as I mentioned in the opening post, the pen F 42/1.2 is the perfect portrait lens for the m4/3rds sensor. Let me reiterate that this lens was tested to be the fuzzy one in the pen F line-up!:shocked:
Vivek,

Is there an Olympus Pen-F forum for those of us interested in more info?

Thanks, Bill

V

Vivek

Bill, It would be difficult to find an Olympus (not digital) forum nowadays. I linked Skip Williams' site (in the other thread) that has some pen F literature.

John Foster has written the complete book on Olympus Pen F (http://www.biofos.com/pub/index.html). I have only thumbed through this book. It is superbly done. Unfortunately, I was not on time to buy a copy for myself and it is now out of print.

If there is enough interest, John will bring out another print, I am sure. Drop him a line.

Michael, Thanks!:)

W

wblynch

Thanks Vivek and Monza !!

I emailed John Foster and asked to be added to any interest list or waiting list he may be building for a future printing.

Last edited:

monza

Here is something that might be of interest.

I just received these two Oly Pen F lenses from KEH, a 38/1.8 and a 100/3.5.

Since everyone with a G1 has a kit lens, you know what size it is. I thought I'd show just how tiny these Pen F lenses are.

For reference, the 38mm cost me $17 and the 100 was $62. (Yes, they wanted more for a body cap than the 38mm.)

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Wow, that 38mm f1.8 is a beauty - I'll give you $40 for it!:ROTFL:

Have you got an adapter for m4/3rds?

Kind Regards

Brian

K

kiloran

Would I be right in assuming to build an adapter for Pen F "all" you need is:

Pen F -> OM -> 4/3rds -> MFT?

Or is the Pen F -> OM adapter rare and expensive enough to mean its better to get a dedicated adapter?

mawz

Would I be right in assuming to build an adapter for Pen F "all" you need is:

Pen F -> OM -> 4/3rds -> MFT?

Or is the Pen F -> OM adapter rare and expensive enough to mean its better to get a dedicated adapter?
Unless the PenF->OM adaptor has optics, it would be macro only (Given the formats and registers involved, I would assume that adaptor is actually an OM->PenF adaptor for using OM lenses on PenF, going the other way would not work very well).

For PenF->m43, you'd want a dedicated adaptor since the register of PenF's is shorter than 4/3rds.

K

kiloran

Unless the PenF->OM adaptor has optics, it would be macro only (Given the formats and registers involved, I would assume that adaptor is actually an OM->PenF adaptor for using OM lenses on PenF, going the other way would not work very well).

For PenF->m43, you'd want a dedicated adaptor since the register of PenF's is shorter than 4/3rds.
Yep, its the other way round, d'oh! Oh well, we'll just wait for Vivek to start the production line ;)

W

wblynch

So...

Was Olympus prescient when they named it the Pen FT ? (4/3) ;)

Good thing they didn't name it the P'FT. They might never have sold one :D

monza

I'm following Vivek's lead from earlier in this thread and fabricating my own adapter out of Pen FT extension rings. I'm thinking I will probably not get it precise enough, so I'll buy a commercial adapter when they become available. :)

I'll post a photo of the 38 on the G1 later tonight.

Last edited: