The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus' m4/3rds system

V

Vivek

Would I be right in assuming to build an adapter for Pen F "all" you need is:

Pen F -> OM -> 4/3rds -> MFT?

Or is the Pen F -> OM adapter rare and expensive enough to mean its better to get a dedicated adapter?

I think the whole thread is a waste.:banghead:

Hey, I put in a lot of effort to disclose how simply you can make your own adapter!

No, do not wait for me make an adapter for sale. Not gonna happen, ever.:LOL:

K

kiloran

<-- makes note that sarcasm rarely works in print ;)

And has an extension ring set on the way ;)

K

kiloran

Sweet :)

Just picked up a Pen F and a collection of lenses on eBay, looking forward to playing...

monza

Very cool, Kiloran. :)

The Pen lenses are very well built and so tiny. I don't think I'll ever have to decide what lenses to take on a trip, they are so small, I'll take 'em all. :)

Came across wallpaper on the Olympus site, listing a 40mm f/3.5 Macro for the Pen F. It's the only reference I've ever seen about this lens. The 38/3.5 Macro is rare enough...does anyone know anything about the 40 Macro?

http://www.olympus.co.jp/jp/fun/wallpaper/camera/dl.cfm?id=137&type_id=1&la=en

V

Vivek

No clue about the 40/3.5, 1:1, Macro.

The 38/3.5 Macro does not go to 1:1 and would reach about 1:2 on its own. It is superb lens (sharp, high contrast, etc). It is one my all time favorite macro lenses (out of a several dozen) from any system.

There are no flowers around so I cracked a nut. :D

38/3.5 Zuiko Macro, f/11, 4s tripod, cable release, suitable lighting

and photographed a small (<1cm long) pendant.

38/3.5 Zuiko Macro, f/16, 6s tripod, cable release, suitable lighting

As is the case with most macro shots, lighting is the key. There are literally dozens of macro lenses I can mount/use on the G1 but the size and performance of the 38/3.5 can't be beat.

Something else that is very unique about the 38/3.5 is that this is the only lens that can be mounted DIRECTLY (with a shim, as I mentioned previously) and without an adapter and can be used for infinity to close ranges. This is possible because of the long focus helicoid in the macro lens.:thumbs:

Will

Anyone heard any news on when Olympus are planning to launch their own m4/3rds body?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Anyone heard any news on when Olympus are planning to launch their own m4/3rds body?
Any day now, at least according the rumormongers at the British Journal of Photography.

But since it appears neither of its two models will have EVF, I declare it DOA. :lecture:

Most likely at PMA.

W

wblynch

But since it appears neither of its two models will have EVF, I declare it DOA. :lecture:
Perhaps Olympus will sell twice as many lenses as m4/3 cameras?

G! owners seem mighty thirsty for lens choices.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
The point of the m4/3 for me is not the OEM's lenses but rather all the great legacy lenses out there. To use them, one must have EVF and I would prefer a body that doesn't look like a Faux-dSLR. Olympus seems to have forgotten it's great PEN had view finder which let you see that the lens saw and to focus that lens.

"No matter how capable it may be, any camera you have to hold out in front of you like a tourist is not cool."
Dean Forbes

monza

For me too. Except for any wide primes they might release. I'd prefer a 10mm prime over the 7-14 zoom.

But the jury is still out on what Olympus will do. They might surprise.

m3photo

Re: Primes

For me too. Except for any wide primes they might release. I'd prefer a 10mm prime over the 7-14 zoom.
I'll second that. A 10.5mm f2 which is as good as the original Zuiko 21mm f2 would be perfect. I really think that although the kit zooms are surprisingly good, this little camera and its sensor would be an ideal match to a good range of fast primes - which is really why we're all out hunting for them on Ebay while we wait for Panasonic to produce them!

monza

Nice macro shots, Vivek. :)

I've been finishing up my extension tube adapter setup for Pen F lenses for the G1. I removed the black ring on the bayonet to which the lens attaches. This eliminates a tab, and enables the preview button on the lens to stop down to the preset aperture.

Focus wide open, press the preview button right before firing the shutter to stop down. This makes Pen F lenses much easier to work with than adapted M lenses, which of course have never needed a depth of field preview.

V

Vivek

Thanks, Robert. :)

The adapter I show does not have that black ring (well, I received one set of extension rings without that) and allows for the lens depth of preview button to be used for stopping down. I have another adapter that does have the ring. This is useful for using a macro lens when used with a cable release.

V

Vivek

As with all other pen F lenses, the 38/3.5 Macro also makes an excellent fit for the m4/3rds mount.

G1, pen F 38/3.5, f/3.5, mirror reflection

Bokeh from this lens on digital (as opposed to film) is creamy smooth.

clay stewart

The point of the m4/3 for me is not the OEM's lenses but rather all the great legacy lenses out there. To use them, one must have EVF and I would prefer a body that doesn't look like a Faux-dSLR. Olympus seems to have forgotten it's great PEN had view finder which let you see that the lens saw and to focus that lens.

"No matter how capable it may be, any camera you have to hold out in front of you like a tourist is not cool."
Dean Forbes
I thought that way, when I first got the GX100, so I got the external finder, which pretty much sucked for me. Then I got to liking the LCD for framing and later got the GRD2.

I think for things like street shooting, looking like a tourist tends to put people at ease. I came to really like framing on the LCD, as a much more casual and discreet way of shooting. I guess for me it all depends on how easy the LCD is to see in the daylight.