The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus' m4/3rds system

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I have a GR-DII and only use the LCD for Macros. I find the CV 28/35 minifinder perfect for my style. Different views.

But you are using both cameras with autofocus, are you not? I can not see trying to focus a manual focus lens while holding a camera out in front of you and just using the LCD.

clay stewart

Actually with the GRD2, I used MF quite often, since the camera worked faster and the DOF of the small sensor gave a pretty broad range of DOF at F4. I can see how using longer MF lenses would be difficult without the VF though. I guess I'm hoping Oly releases a few AF primes, because I do like using the LCD for framing street photography. Hopefully Olympus will have two versions, so everyone is happy.:)

D

doubledan

Actually with the GRD2, I used MF quite often, since the camera worked faster and the DOF of the small sensor gave a pretty broad range of DOF at F4. I can see how using longer MF lenses would be difficult without the VF though. I guess I'm hoping Oly releases a few AF primes, because I do like using the LCD for framing street photography. Hopefully Olympus will have two versions, so everyone is happy.:)
With the G1, I'm finding that the longer MF lenses are actually easier to focus on the LCD than the wider ones -- and that the wider ones, say at 5.6, usually work well enough with set-it-and-forget-it zone focusing. The trick with the G1's LCD, at least for me, is not to hold the camera at arms length but rather tilt the screen and press the camera against the abdomen, as some of us did with Rollei and Yashica TLRs; and to use magnification. You can get pretty fast at this, with practice, but one neat thing is that for many kinds of shooting, you don't need to be fast: it's so discreet that people are not put on guard by what you're doing, so you can develop a nice flow and take your sweet time.

monza

First, thanks to Vivek for providing this excellent Pen F extension tube adapter idea. Using that as a basis, I came across a micro 4/3 flange designed for astrophotography by a company called Hutech:

http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/borg/parts/index.htm

The flange has a 49.8mm screw thread. The Pen F extension tubes have a 50mm screw thread. They don't mate exactly, but it's close enough. :)

Referring to the photo above, take part D, and the Hutech flange, screw them together, presto, instant Pen F to G1 adapter! No grinding required, and no shimming!

I tightened both parts together as close as they would mate (it's a very tight, secure fit) and it focuses a bit past infinity. Unscrewing a partial turn will dial in infinity, so it matches infinity on the lens. I suppose some sort of set screw or Loctite could be used to secure the two pieces exactly at infinity, but I think I'll just tighten them to the max, and live with it until a commercial adapter is available.

A commercial adapter will also allow the aperture and distance scale to be right side up on the lens.

One other thing: if you look at the photo, there is a black ring on part D. If this ring is removed, it allows the lens to stop down to preset aperture by pressing the preview button on the lens. Focus wide open, press preview to meter stopped down & before taking the photo. Quick and easy.

V

Vivek

A commercial adapter will also allow the aperture and distance scale to be right side up on the lens.
This is why all the grinding by trial and error took place.:)

You could place a thin spacer inside the Hutech m4/3rds mount to get the right infinity focus distance and the correct orientation. A bit of work but is well worth it.

I would secure the two rings with the right kind of (metal) epoxy once everything is in place.

monza

Here is the back side of the extension tube part D with the back ring removed.

40/1.4 on the camera.

V

Vivek

Robert, You need to take that lens outside to give it a spin.:)

V

Vivek

Here is a sample shot taken with the 40/1.4 (this is tinkered to get more light through but essentially the same lens) wide open.

monza

G. Zuiko 20/3.5 @ f/3.5, click for full size.

100% (that's me in the eyeball). Very impressed with the Pen F lenses!

W

wblynch

Monza, very nice.

What do you use for scanning your negatives?

Thanks

V

Vivek

Vivek, a 1.2 mod on a 1.4?
Robert, It is "super charging" the f/1.4 to f/1.2. I won't give any details here as that is painted as promoting the value of existing gear by some(deleted) folks.
In fact, I am done with any useful gear related contribution here.

Pay-per-view from now on! :D:ROTFL:

Please let's cut out the insulating comments, I don't feel like chasing around editing these posts as i just did. Guy

The rules are clearly defined
3) Arguing, rudeness, generally poor or negative behavior will be dealt with at moderator discretion as they see fit. This may result in the offending post(s) or entire thread(s) being deleted with or without explanation, and/or the offending poster(s) being banned or having their accounts suspended or erased. Note that broader topical and emotional latitude is tolerated in the "Sunset Bar" forum, but decisions on thread or post appropriateness remain at moderator discretion there as well.