The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No Longer a G1 owner . . .but

jonoslack

Hi There
Well, Tim arrived today and took away my G1.
I had a lot of fun with it using different Leica lenses, but, for me it fell seriously between stools.

If I want a pocket camera . . . the D-lux4 fits in my pocket
If I want a camera to take pictures of people in the evening - the M8 is it.
If it's raining I'll take the E3
If I'm going out walking, and I'm going to take a bag . . . then the A900 does it.

The problem (for me of course) was that the G1 didn't fit in my pocket, and if I'm carrying a bag, then there were better options.

Still, I thought the IQ was great, and I have real hopes for the olympus version - especially if the weatherproof rumours are true.

I've kept both my M adaptor, my 4:3 / micro 4/3 adaptor and my OUFRO.

My only real regret is not to be a member of the club you're all having such fun with!

A

azul123

I'd use G1 for when I want to use it for travelling on holidays... although I have to say I can't wait to see the Olympus version. Prefer rangefinder form all the while but can't stand waiting so bought the G1 to play with in meantime.

back alley

sorry for your loss ;)

i find it an excellent city camera, small enough and light. i prefer using a variety of bags depending on need/want for the day, so a small bag for the g1 works for me. i use wrist straps also so i never just hang a camera off the shoulder.

but i respect that we each have different needs and wants and that we are satisfied in many different ways as well.

joe

A

azul123

Azul, I thought you are a Nikon user? Have you started on RF?
Hey, long time to see. :salute:

Have an old rangefinder... that I kept and use occassionally, bought this in mint condition as it was the first camera my dad had use to teach me. Most recently used it on my India trip with B&W film.

I would love an Olympus m43 in rangefinder form and put on a Burgundy Luigi case, it would look stunning, don't you think?

Also, intend to use for travelling.. don't want to lug around heavy stuff when on trips. :D

You sure got some exotic lenses in your arsenal.

W

wblynch

I bought my G1 so I can get rid of a shelf of other cameras. I'm hoping to get down to a collection of one, where I don't have to choose.

Can man survive on only one camera?? :)

Brian Mosley

You're not fooling anyone Jono, I'm betting you'll be the first to own a G1HD :ROTFL:

At least until the Olympus micro M8 arrives :LOL:

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

You're not fooling anyone Jono, I'm betting you'll be the first to own a G1HD :ROTFL:
HI Brian
Absolutely not a chance - I'm not interested in video, and I'm not keen on the form factor . . . and I don't have any funny old lenses without a camera to fit them on!
At least until the Olympus micro M8 arrives :LOL:
Now - that's different - I'm still completely in favour of the 4/3 and m4/3 concepts, if Olympus come up with something interesting, then I'll be interested.
One thing I have proved though is that I'm really really really REALLY not keen on EVF viewfinders.

Hi Jono- I picked a G1 up last week, and will play with it and see where it goes, but I'm likely to end up where you did. For me, it's mostly not getting warm fuzzies using an EVF for still photography. It creates a sense of separation from the subject, combined with a self consciousness, like watching myself taking a picture, that I don't know if I'll get along with. The camera is a neat fellow though, with surprising IQ using SilkyPix, and that 14-45 is quite fine. I am looking forward to trying a few nikkors and M lenses with it. We'll see. best...Peter