The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G1 Manual Focus

F

freefalling

Hi,

I'd like to ask a question about using other than the two kitlenses with my brandnew G1 :))
If I would connect a Zuiko macro 35mm with the Panasonic adapter: does it autofocus (yes/not at all/ or just only slow)? And what happens to the MF assist functions. Is the loupe getting activated when I turn the distance-ring or not ? ((With other words: are the informations from the lens tranferred to the body or not))

Thanks Claus

rich s

Hi,

I'd like to ask a question about using other than the two kitlenses with my brandnew G1 :))
If I would connect a Zuiko macro 35mm with the Panasonic adapter: does it autofocus (yes/not at all/ or just only slow)? And what happens to the MF assist functions. Is the loupe getting activated when I turn the distance-ring or not ? ((With other words: are the informations from the lens tranferred to the body or not))

Thanks Claus

Hi Claus,
With the 35mm macro, and as with all ZD lenses apart from 9-18, 14-42, and 40-150, there is no auto focus. It works in the same way as the 12-60 that I was using today for some first street shooting tests, ie the G1 focus dial is set on MF, then the first turn on the lens focus ring activates the zoom loupe.

By the way congrats on getting a G1 - I'm discovering new ways of using manual & ZD lenses each day. I will PM you later about your question on the 14-150 PL - I have been tied up all today.

Rich

F

freefalling

Hi Rich,
thanks for the answer. That's what I hoped for ;-) . It's then clearly a benefit of using the Olympus lenses (instead all those coupled with contctless adapters). Allthough I did some tests with the 14-45 and achromatic near-lenses it would be very interesting to see the differences to the Zuiko 35 macro. Anyone using this on the G1 ?

Claus

mawz

Hi Claus,
With the 35mm macro, and as with all ZD lenses apart from 9-18, 14-42, and 40-150, there is no auto focus. It works in the same way as the 12-60 that I was using today for some first street shooting tests, ie the G1 focus dial is set on MF, then the first turn on the lens focus ring activates the zoom loupe.

By the way congrats on getting a G1 - I'm discovering new ways of using manual & ZD lenses each day. I will PM you later about your question on the 14-150 PL - I have been tied up all today.

Rich
There's more lenses which AF, the 25 Pancake and the SDM versions of the 14-54 and 50-200 should AF as well (I know the 25 does for sure).

All 4/3rds lenses apart from the Sigma's will activate the zoom function. The Sigma's won't because their focus rings are purely mechanical rather than focus by wire like the ZD, Panaleica and G lenses.

F

freefalling

Mawz ... thanks for the additional information !
Claus

Brian Mosley

Yes, the ZD 25mm f2.8 does support CDAF, but not the 50-200mm SWD. Don't know yet about the 14-54 mk II.

Kind Regards

Brian