Site Sponsors

Thread: Panasonic G1 Manual Focus

freefalling

Panasonic G1 Manual Focus

Hi,

I'd like to ask a question about using other than the two kitlenses with my brandnew G1 :-))
    If I would connect a Zuiko macro 35mm with the Panasonic adapter: does it autofocus (yes/not at all/ or just only slow)? And what happens to the MF assist functions. Is the loupe getting activated when I turn the distance-ring or not ? ((With other words: are the informations from the lens tranferred to the body or not))

Thanks Claus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Panasonic G1 Manual Focus

Quote Originally Posted by freefalling View Post
    Hi,

I'd like to ask a question about using other than the two kitlenses with my brandnew G1 :-))
    If I would connect a Zuiko macro 35mm with the Panasonic adapter: does it autofocus (yes/not at all/ or just only slow)? And what happens to the MF assist functions. Is the loupe getting activated when I turn the distance-ring or not ? ((With other words: are the informations from the lens tranferred to the body or not))

Thanks Claus

Hi Claus,
    With the 35mm macro, and as with all ZD lenses apart from 9-18, 14-42, and 40-150, there is no auto focus. It works in the same way as the 12-60 that I was using today for some first street shooting tests, ie the G1 focus dial is set on MF, then the first turn on the lens focus ring activates the zoom loupe.

By the way congrats on getting a G1 - I'm discovering new ways of using manual & ZD lenses each day. I will PM you later about your question on the 14-150 PL - I have been tied up all today.

Rich

freefalling

Hi Rich,
    thanks for the answer. That's what I hoped for ;-) . It's then clearly a benefit of using the Olympus lenses (instead all those coupled with contctless adapters). Allthough I did some tests with the 14-45 and achromatic near-lenses it would be very interesting to see the differences to the Zuiko 35 macro. Anyone using this on the G1 ?

Claus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rich s View Post
    Hi Claus,
    With the 35mm macro, and as with all ZD lenses apart from 9-18, 14-42, and 40-150, there is no auto focus. It works in the same way as the 12-60 that I was using today for some first street shooting tests, ie the G1 focus dial is set on MF, then the first turn on the lens focus ring activates the zoom loupe.

By the way congrats on getting a G1 - I'm discovering new ways of using manual & ZD lenses each day. I will PM you later about your question on the 14-150 PL - I have been tied up all today.

Rich
    There's more lenses which AF, the 25 Pancake and the SDM versions of the 14-54 and 50-200 should AF as well (I know the 25 does for sure).

All 4/3rds lenses apart from the Sigma's will activate the zoom function. The Sigma's won't because their focus rings are purely mechanical rather than focus by wire like the ZD, Panaleica and G lenses.

freefalling

Mawz ... thanks for the additional information !
    Claus

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, the ZD 25mm f2.8 does support CDAF, but not the 50-200mm SWD. Don't know yet about the 14-54 mk II.

Kind Regards

Brian