The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Occasional shutter lag EM5 and Nissim Di466

I have had my EM5 set at a fixed ASA of 200 and am using manual exposure.

I have the Nissim on the hot shoe.

I am using the Nissim in its 'normal' mode (ie no red/green/blue light).

Yesterday when I pressed the shutter button there was a delay of almost a second before it took the picture. It is not the first time this has happened.

I struggled through the shoot and when I got home I repeated the set up:-

Fixed ASA

Manual Exposure

Nissim on the hotshoe.

Now there is no delay when I press the shutter.

Summary. 10.30 am problems. 11.30 problems gone away!

PLEASE. What am I missing?

Tony

I have tried long and hard to simulate the shutter delay.

The way I can replicate it is by setting the flash to red-eye removal mode.

What I did not say, as it did not seem relevant at the time, was that all the shots where I had the problem were shots where I was using the flash as a fill - primarly outdoors or in well lit interiors.

What you can't see as a photographer is the red-eye pre-flashing. That was probably causing the delay. My subject would never have thought of mentioning it as he is not a photographer and he will see the pre-flashes often when his pals take pictures.

I cannot say this is 100% the answer. But it does give me something to look for if it every happens again.

Tony

Knorp

Hi there Tony,

good job figuring out yourself what may have caused this shutter lag.
I'm sorry nobody here including me were able te help you with this.
Hope you are on the right track.

All the best.