Site Sponsors

Thread: Leica D-Lux (typ109) (Panasonic LX100)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica D-Lux (typ109) (Panasonic LX100)

HI There
    Bob has just done a great job of adding my d-lux review to the front page.

Being as it's a 4/3 camera - it seems that it probably belongs here as well as in the Leica forum:

The Leica D-Lux (Typ109)

It's a great camera - whether you settle for the Leica version or the Panasonic.

all the best

Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica D-Lux (typ109) (Panasonic LX100)

Nice review and the pictures are great. Waiting for this to be available, will surely buy one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jonathan,

For some time now I'd been looking for a nice small(ish) camera in the digital age that I just could grab and go with.

I had an LX3 but yearned for something with a bit more capability in its sensor. Something with a fine optic and sufficient DR that could produce reasonably good quality prints (13 x 19 in a nice frame) in color through ISO 800 and BW as high as the sensor could muster (noise is grain in my book so even bad shots are as good as the best of the film era.)

The Sony RX100 I, II, & (now) III didn't do anything for me, even with the impressive EVF of the III. (Also, is it the tastes of the folks behind the RAW processing but why do the colors on the images that I've seen here, flickr and elswhere look so garish with those cameras?) I liked the Fuji X100 series but, despite its wonderfully conceived hybrid finder still fell short of a view I had with an M6. Viewing through some I had the opportunity to hold in person still seemed like peering into a peephole for me and despite having an EVF to confirm things, the focusing accuracy was always a concern when speed might be needed. The Ricoh, as fine as some of the shots I've seen here have been, also seemed to be lacking with it's lack of VF.

What I like so far: IQ, AF speed, optics, heft, optional grip, price, reasonable silence, UX (Replacing "P" with double "A's" has always been nothing short of brilliant in my book). 4K capability. And the ability to create images that could lead to quality prints as large and as well as the best of the 35mm film era.

Dislikes: None that I can tell at this time. (And maybe time will tell.)

I think I've found my first Leica since the Digilux 2!

Thank you for a terrific review.

P
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

nice review and lovely pics captured with the new D-Lux. Love the clean body design. Do you know how much premium this new Dlux goes for compared to the LX100?

Post Thanks / Like

I REALLY like the 'fishing' photo!
    Ian.

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed the review, Jono. Thanks for sharing your findings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I enjoyed the review as well. Thanks for doing this.

Jim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the kind words!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

When I look back at the past 10 years or so, I find that probably my favorite photos were taken with a DLux4. Seems like this is that camera "all grown up." Great review as always.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    When I look back at the past 10 years or so, I find that probably my favorite photos were taken with a DLux4. Seems like this is that camera "all grown up." Great review as always.
    Hi Todd
    That's certainly what I thought about it too.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI There

Being as it's a 4/3 camera - it seems that it probably belongs here as well as in the Leica forum:

The Leica D-Lux (Typ109)

It's a great camera - whether you settle for the Leica version or the Panasonic.

all the best
    Hi Jono

Nice writeup. Is it possible Leica supplied you with a "super" sample?

Ming Thein has just posted his review and his assessment of the lens (based on 3 samples and using both the LX100 and DLUX9) is not quite as glowing as yours.

Vin

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono

I hope that you don't mind but here is another review of both cameras and as far as I know Ming Thein is not paid by either Panasonic or Leica. BTW I have the LX100!
    Opinion-review: the Panasonic LX100/ Leica D-Lux 109
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Hi Jono

I hope that you don't mind but here is another review of both cameras and as far as I know Ming Thein is not paid by either Panasonic or Leica. BTW I have the LX100!
    i like his reviews, but i was slightly disappointed not to see head-to-head comparison between leica and panasonic. afterall, the price quite similar this time in some part of the world.
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I formed an opinion from his review that there is nothing to chose between them in either image quality or handling. It was exactly the same with the Leica D2 and Panasonic LC1 many years ago now (in digital camera terms!) each sharing the same lens, sensor and processor.

It boils down to price, availability and just how much the "red dot" is worth to the photographer!
    Cheers, Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I formed an opinion from his review that there is nothing to chose between them in either image quality or handling.
    ?? How can the lack of a GRIP not affect handling? (Seems enough to do so that IIRC Leica again offers an add-on grip --for an add-on further cost.) It continues to amuse me to hear folks lauding the appearance of the Leica version, as though it's at all important to look at the tool (let alone that it looks good)! (I don't recall seeing such praise for the RX100's looks, but it's even more spare --if that's the ticket to beauty-- than the Leica!)

Ming echoes my musing that it would've been nice to see how the Sony 1" sensor would've played, perhaps w/like down-sizing for the multi-aspect handling to about 17-16-15mpix for the framings, and then Pany-Leica wizardry in perfecting the fast zoom (could they hold to LX7 range & speed?), with good stabilization. --noting that the LX7's 24-90eq. lens was an improvement over the LX5's (with slightly smaller sensor), though.

-d.

Post Thanks / Like

I formed an opinion from his review that there is nothing to chose between them in either image quality or handling. It was exactly the same with the Leica D2 and Panasonic LC1 many years ago now (in digital camera terms!) each sharing the same lens, sensor and processor.

It boils down to price, availability and just how much the "red dot" is worth to the photographer!
    i was always under the impression that the leica counterpart normally has some of their "leica secret sauce" in the jpeg output/processor. oh well....
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono

Hi There David
    Thank you for the link - I really like Ming's reviews, and this one is no exception. I'm certain that Ming isn't paid by either (nor am I by the way). I think there is a crucial difference of perspective between us, which is encapsulated in this quote of Ming's:

I realise my hesitation with the hardware has been one of expectation: approach it thinking it’s a compact and you’ll be pleasantly surprised; approach it with the expectations that it’s going to match the best of M4/3 and perhaps come close to a GR and you’re going to be slightly disappointed on the image quality front.

I quite agree with him, but of course, I was approaching the camera as a compact - I didn't expect it either to match the best of M4/3 (why should it, it costs less than most of the good M4/3 lenses?). I didn't expect it to match the image quality of the GR either (why should a 24-75 zoom on a smaller sensor match a fixed focal length lens on a larger one?).

As far as the lens is concerned - he talks about disappointment with ACR conversion of the RAW files (with the Leica by renaming the camera). I didn't have any kind of RAW support whilst I was using the camera - so I relied on the JPG results, which seem to me to be very good. I do have the RAW files, so that I can have another look when they're properly supported (perhaps it's too early to criticise RAW files until there IS proper support).

I think we just came from the camera from a different angle - Personally I can't see why one would compare it to a Ricoh GR (I have one and it's lovely) - if you want a zoom there are always compromises to be made.

As for the grip, and differences from the Panasonic - unlike Ming I didn't have a Panasonic to compare with (they weren't available) - I had no problem holding the camera without a grip - the thumb pad on the back seemed to be fine . . . but I'm the person who was happy with a Leica T with no strap for 3 months! Certainly I had no problem carrying the camera without a strap, and I had no issues shooting with it one handed either.

I'd love to know whether Leica change the colour processing - but I'm afraid I don't know (either way)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lambert View Post
    Hi Jono

Nice writeup. Is it possible Leica supplied you with a "super" sample?

Ming Thein has just posted his review and his assessment of the lens (based on 3 samples and using both the LX100 and DLUX9) is not quite as glowing as yours.

Vin
    Hi There Vin
    I had an early sample - but they certainly wouldn't have sent me a "super" sample (experience has taught me that nobody gets special treatment like that).

As for Ming's fine review - see above - I think we were coming to the camera from different angles; I was expecting a sterling successor to the excellent D-Lux 6 - it appears Ming was hoping for a replacement for his Ricoh GR.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everybody!
    many thanks of Jono for his review, very well done!
    just one question to you, where is possible to download a pdf manual of the camera? (D Lux of course)
    thanks in advance for the replies

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There Vin

As for Ming's fine review - see above - I think we were coming to the camera from different angles; I was expecting a sterling successor to the excellent D-Lux 6 - it appears Ming was hoping for a replacement for his Ricoh GR.
    Which seemed to be a doomed comparison from the start. A GR is for a particular shooter and in sincerity I really don't think that someone who loves the GR is the target audience for this camera.

I'm traveling with the LX100 and GM1 with 35-100 zooms as my two bodies. Works well but boy do I wish the GM1 had the controls of the LX100.
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com

Post Thanks / Like

I quite agree with him, but of course, I was approaching the camera as a compact - I didn't expect it either to match the best of M4/3 (why should it, it costs less than most of the good M4/3 lenses?). I didn't expect it to match the image quality of the GR either (why should a 24-75 zoom on a smaller sensor match a fixed focal length lens on a larger one?).
    While I get the comparison to an "equivalent" u43 like the GM1/kit setup, like you I really don't understand bringing the GR into the discussion other than for an apples to celery comparison. I suppose if you can crop the GR image to a 75mm equivalent FOV and have the same quality as coming out of the LX100 you can do that, but otherwise you're back at the age old prime vs. zoom conundrum.

I'm going to go mess with one of these. As I said before, I found the DLux4 to be a special camera in my hands for whatever reason. I've still got an RX100ii in the house which is OK but never had thrilled me. Maybe the typ109 will get a fire burning...

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the lens is concerned - he talks about disappointment with ACR conversion of the RAW files (with the Leica by renaming the camera). I didn't have any kind of RAW support whilst I was using the camera - so I relied on the JPG results, which seem to me to be very good. I do have the RAW files, so that I can have another look when they're properly supported (perhaps it's too early to criticise RAW files until there IS proper support).
    Hi Jono,

Are you saying that Ming's assessment of the lens is related just to ACR/raw?

His opinion is: "For now, the lens is excellent in the centre, outresolving the sensor at all apertures but not so great at the edges."

With your sample, you say "The lens is pretty much sharp from corner to corner at all focal lengths and apertures, and seems to me to have no obvious weak spots."

Does the lens perform better in JPG? Or is it possible you have an exceptional sample from Leica?

Vin

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The jpegs have lens corrections built in. Ming changed the EXIF to open them in ACR. Means he had no lens correction profile. Without the correct profile no corrections are made.
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The jpegs have lens corrections built in. Ming changed the EXIF to open them in ACR. Means he had no lens correction profile. Without the correct profile no corrections are made.
    OK, that makes sense. I'll find out from Ming whether his assessment was based solely on raw or whether he also examined the JPG's.

Post Thanks / Like

Which seemed to be a doomed comparison from the start. A GR is for a particular shooter and in sincerity I really don't think that someone who loves the GR is the target audience for this camera.

I'm traveling with the LX100 and GM1 with 35-100 zooms as my two bodies. Works well but boy do I wish the GM1 had the controls of the LX100.
    I don't think he necessarily thinks the LX100 was going to replace his GR. I think he spoke of both approaches- from the pro side and as a nice compact camera. What I see in the review in the conclusion is that 50/50 changing perspective depending on who is looking at it. I don't see anything wrong with that.

As for the GM1- just get the GM5 :-) The GM1 controls are just bad (my opinion). The GM5 fixed a lot of it.

- Ricardo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post

As for the GM1- just get the GM5 :-) The GM1 controls are just bad (my opinion). The GM5 fixed a lot of it.

- Ricardo
    Yeah....it's just money....but who is counting.

Seriously. The difference between GM1 controls and GM5 controls makes no difference as they much more similar to each other than to the LX100

Post Thanks / Like

When I change the EXIF to GX7 to open in LR, all the distortion correction is done identically to the in-camera JPEG. I have no idea why this happens. When I open the same RAW file in C1, no corrections are made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    When I change the EXIF to GX7 to open in LR, all the distortion correction is done identically to the in-camera JPEG. I have no idea why this happens. When I open the same RAW file in C1, no corrections are made.
    LR is honoring the correction profile data. That's all. C1 is not.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    LR is honoring the correction profile data. That's all. C1 is not.

- Ricardo
    And what correction profile is assumed for the (body spec) "GX7" such that it happens to work (correctly or otherwise) on the particular and unmatched 24-75eq @sub-m4/3 sensor'd LX100?

-d.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I received the promotional free automatic lens cap today from Panasonic UK. It works extremely well for a freebie but it necessitates removing the front retaining ring of the lens which means the lens can only retract completely without a filter attached. It's no big deal and I will try a slimline filter to see if that will work.

The lens cap does provide some protection to the lens both when extended and retracted but not so much as a filter does! I am very conscious that a damaged front lens element, means the camera is unserviceable....I can't just remove it and replace the lens!
    Cheers, Dave

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I received the promotional free automatic lens cap today from Panasonic UK. It works extremely well for a freebie but it necessitates removing the front retaining ring of the lens which means the lens can only retract completely without a filter attached. It's no big deal and I will try a slimline filter to see if that will work.

The lens cap does provide some protection to the lens both when extended and retracted but not so much as a filter does! I am very conscious that a damaged front lens element, means the camera is unserviceable....I can't just remove it and replace the lens!
    After using the camera in the field for a week, I'm trying to decide what to do. Actually considering the leather case and a slim filter. In that setup I would leave the lens cap at home. I want to see what the leather case covers on the back to see if it messes up the ergonomics in any way. I use a simple little wrist strap by Joby that is turning out to be one of my best cheap purchases ever.
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

this is the strap at under $10...it it's light and stays out of the way and will tighten up for safety

http://www.amazon.com/Joby-JB01271-P...by+wrist+strap

Attachment 84320

Attachment 84321

Attachment 84322

Post Thanks / Like

Ming has confirmed that his assessment of the lens was based on examining both JPEG and raw files.

FYI, here's the thread:

Lambert says:
    November 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM
    Ming, quick question. Was your assessment of poor lens performance in the outer zones based purely on examining the raw files or did you also examine JPEGs? Perhaps since you imported them into ACR as GX7 files, lens optimisation was not applied.

Ming Thein says:
    November 15, 2014 at 4:19 PM
    Both. I suspect there are some sample variation issues at play too because of decentering and differences between cameras.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lightroom 5.7 is out with RAW support for the D-Lux and LX100. Yeah!

Last edited by Terry; 19th November 2014 at 05:10.
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

this is the strap at under $10...it it's light and stays out of the way and will tighten up for safety

Amazon.com : Joby JB01271-PWW DSLR Wrist Strap (Charcoal) : Camera Wrist Strap : Camera & Photo

Attachment 84320

Attachment 84321

Attachment 84322
    Hi Terry, I have one of These but I dont like it tightens up - it takes allways a Little time to get out of it when being done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI There

The Leica D-Lux (Typ109)

all the best
    Hi Jono

Great review. Even without words, the 72 pictures really tell the story. If you can live with12mp Particularly for cropping, this looks like a super camera for what its design intended. Too bad there is not a lower priced option for the camera without lightroom as i, and many, already have it.

thanks so much

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some quick test shots with the D-LUX. All shots at 400 iso. I like it so far and sold my x100s for it

Post Thanks / Like

After using the camera in the field for a week, I'm trying to decide what to do. Actually considering the leather case and a slim filter. In that setup I would leave the lens cap at home. I want to see what the leather case covers on the back to see if it messes up the ergonomics in any way. I use a simple little wrist strap by Joby that is turning out to be one of my best cheap purchases ever.
    Hi Terry. Have you figured out a case solution? I have the Leica version and would like a case that covers the back--similar to the case for the Lumix GF1.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes,
    I've figured out a lot. Right now I have both the LX100 and D-lux

I bought what was supposed to be a good Hoya filter and it destroyed the IQ. Thought my camera was defective for a bit but taking off the filter solved that. Returned to B&H.

The Panasonic case does NOT fit on the Leica. The rounded edges on the D-lux do add mm to the design and the bottom of case just doesn't fit.

The Leica half case I'm trying to wrap my arms around because I don't know how you get to the card and battery. I looked at it in the Leica brochure and it looks the same as the one for the older D-lux cameras but it goes over the strap lugs but there are no snaps to take it on and off.

I'm pretty sure that I'm keeping the Leica....there is definitely a bit of sample variation on the cameras but overall I think my Leica is a bit better sample and there are only so many brick walls I will photo.

Other than that, this camera and my brain go very well together.....

If anyone knows how these cases "work" I'm all ears

Attachment 84626

Attachment 84627

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry,
    I don't think there's any way to get to the card and battery without nearly removing the case by twisting it forward and sliding it up the straps. Ugh.

Perhaps Luigi will craft one with a cutout. I'll bet that Gariz will make one.
    Brad Husick

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    Terry,
    I don't think there's any way to get to the card and battery without nearly removing the case by twisting it forward and sliding it up the straps. Ugh.

Perhaps Luigi will craft one with a cutout. I'll bet that Gariz will make one.
    I think I read Gariz will have a Panasonic version at the end of December.

The official Panasonic version does not go over the strap lugs, screws into the tripod socket and gives you a new socket for a quick release plate.

For me it is either a leather half case or a grip and for about the same price, I'd rather have a Gariz half case.

Post Thanks / Like

Putting the Leica case on with the included Leica strap ( the one that came with the D-Lux ) looks like a tight fit. Like using Luigi's straps with the protectors on and his cases on a M* body. I do like the included strap though.

I do like the camera a lot. I've had several variations of the D Lux and LX cameras. I currently have the LX3 which I like a lot too. Nice full body case I wish the D Lux had. Same problem with batteries though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just got mine today and I do like it. The ability to grab frames from 30fps 4K video is quite cool. Here's an example from tonight. The lighting was very poor and this was at ISO 2500.

Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like

So, just curious who still has their 109/100. I still have the Leica 109 and I like it thus far. Testing the lens I did find the corners to be not as sharp as in the middle. Oh well, I never did test like that until I read Ming's review.

I've paired it with a Lumix GX-7. Both share the same battery which is nice.

Still looking for a full body case. Gariz finally got one on ebay but it's a half case.

Something else I was wondering about. The grip for the Leica. Is it metal or plastic? Same for the lens cover thing that opens when the lens is extended.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I still have my 109. Gariz case is on the way.
    Brad Husick

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have both but keeping the 109. Haven't ordered a case for it yet. Ended up out of town for a while so haven't sold the LX100 yet....looked at the Red Gariz case last night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    I agree. I still have my D-Lux 4. I just couldn't let it go. Maybe I will sell this and get the new version. I have to say though, the lens on the little D-Lux 4 is tack sharp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi all,

I bought this little camera and it is my first digital camera beside P&S.
    Why I waited sooo long to get into the digital world and chose this particular camera ?

1) Because there is some sort of "traditional settings". I never get confortable with "menus", many press on the same button, back and forth. Here a glance at the top of the cam and I know the mode, the aperture, the speed, lovely, simple the way it should.

2) It is small enough to get in jacket pocket, a small waist pouch, you just have it with you.

3) Fix zoom lens with wide aperture, you avoid changing lenses and have no dust problem.

4) It has a very good viewfinder & back screen which is not a touch screen, that's a + for me, no accidental wrong settings. Because you see once you have adjusted a few parameters corresponding to your style, you are done. For example, the first I made was to limit auto-iso to 1600. Focusing with a screen finger tap ? Not precise at all, this cam has a much better device inside.

5) This camera benefit from the many improvements made during these last ten years and they numerous. One I like very much is the square format 1:1. Again with a glance you know where you stand and you don't need to deep into menus to change it.

6) You can print an A3 size with this cam with a much better quality than what we could get from the best 35mm.

After nearly fifty years of photography, having had so many cameras from 35 to LF, this little beast fulfill my needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A quick picture made with it

Mum&son - GetDPI Image Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My Blog | Music | flickr
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post