The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Zuiko 40-150 f2.8

jonoslack

HI There - worth it's own thread for a little while.
It seems like the lenses are arriving - I got mine this morning, and WEX seem to still have some in stock (without the adapter).

Of course, it's raining here (and anyway I'm supposed to be working), but I managed to take the dogs out for half an hour at lunchtime - really dark and dreek, but here are a couple of snaps to get it going.

First impressions are that it's just lovely - handling feel etc. (oh, and it doesn't seem to leak either!).

1600 ISO

500 ISO

1600 ISO

All the best

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jono,

Very nice! What was the subject, er, canine distance? Lovely bokeh...

--Matt

ptomsu

Workshop Member
HI There - worth it's own thread for a little while.
It seems like the lenses are arriving - I got mine this morning, and WEX seem to still have some in stock (without the adapter).

Of course, it's raining here (and anyway I'm supposed to be working), but I managed to take the dogs out for half an hour at lunchtime - really dark and dreek, but here are a couple of snaps to get it going.

First impressions are that it's just lovely - handling feel etc. (oh, and it doesn't seem to leak either!).

All the best
Lovely shots Jono! Enjoy .....

Elderly

They have a lovely 'quality' Jono -
can I presume that you were seeing what it could do at 150mm @ f2.8?

jonoslack

Hi there. the close up of Matty was at
79mm. the other two at 150. No cropping so they were a reasonable distance away. All at f2.8.

The bokeh looks good doesn't it. those piles of leaves can easily look busy.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Too nice Jorgen?
Yes, it looks almost perfect; very sharp, excellent bokeh etc., but it may lack "bite". Don't misunderstand me. For most purposes, it seems to be as perfect as a lens can be. Maybe I just love imperfections, but the transition from in focus to OOF... there isn't really a transition, is there? The sharpness just fades away without a trace :)

jonoslack

Yes, it looks almost perfect; very sharp, excellent bokeh etc., but it may lack "bite". Don't misunderstand me. For most purposes, it seems to be as perfect as a lens can be. Maybe I just love imperfections, but the transition from in focus to OOF... there isn't really a transition, is there? The sharpness just fades away without a trace :)
Hah! You sound like a man who's just sold off all his m43 gear and bought a D810! (I understand why and have even been tempted).

My favorite lens over the last five years has been the Leica 75 summicron APO. That's been accused of being 'clinical'.

I like imperfect lenses too (Zeiss 50 f1.5 sonnar leaps to mind). But I've never come across a charmingly imperfect zoom. This one however seems reliably and predictably good, without any obvious vices.

Knorp

Looking fab so far, also from what I've seen elsewhere.
Bokeh is pretty smooth. This is one fine lens !

Congrats Jono and thanks for posting some samples.
Trust we'll see more shots coming days :)

Kind regards.

MGrayson

And just when I was about to think that Sony wasn't so terrible after all...
;)

Matt

jonoslack

And just when I was about to think that Sony wasn't so terrible after all...
;)

Matt
HI There Matt
Me to - exactly - The a7 ii looks like a fine machine, but those full frame lenses are never going to be quite like the Zuiko µ43 lenses. . will the extra resolution and ff make up for it? I'm afraid I might have to find out, but I suspect that it won't.

MGrayson

Hi Jono,

I look forward to your findings!

m43 already does portraits beautifully, with two stellar 45-ish primes. I have two other use cases - wide angle landscapes/architecture and sports/action (ok, old guys playing touch football). The former is where Sony has a big edge. The latter nobody seems to do well other than the big Canon/Nikons. But if the 40-150 can track slow running gentlemen with that kind of background blur, it will at least let me put one heavy system away. Of course, an A7 with a 70-200/4 is a pretty light package, even if it doesn't have quite the reach of the 40-150.

One goes around and around. :loco:

Best,

Matt

scott kirkpatrick

Hmmm. While I wait, I may lash my APO-Elmarit-R 180 onto the E-M1 or the E-P5 and go looking for the local wildlife. Much harder to use than the new Olympus Pro but it will be an interesting contest for "bite." I might even be able to track slow running gentlemen.

scott

jonoslack

Hmmm. While I wait, I may lash my APO-Elmarit-R 180 onto the E-M1 or the E-P5 and go looking for the local wildlife. Much harder to use than the new Olympus Pro but it will be an interesting contest for "bite." I might even be able to track slow running gentlemen.

scott
Hi Scott
Hardly a fair comparison (360 vs 300 / Leica vs Olympus). Neither will be missing much bite I think.

Sadly (or not) I sold my lovely APO Elmarit 180 (it was worth too much considering it's small amount of use). It would be nice to do a comparison, but that's no reason to keep a lens.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the 40-150 though - it's carefully and beautifully designed (collapsing lens hood - snap focus with scale)

docmoore

Jono,

You have to quit using Matty as a subject...could take a pinhole camera and make a series of astounding pictures with him as a subject...in fact might be a decent series for you ... pinhole cap on the M240.....

Seriously, most of what you image looks great so we have to rely on your subjective emotive response to the lenses or cameras as I have yet seen you take a picture that does not work.

Even with the A7S :ROTFL:

Damn you Bob Moore!

Regards,

Bob

scott kirkpatrick

Jono,

You have to quit using Matty as a subject...could take a pinhole camera and make a series of astounding pictures with him as a subject...
Until very recently, it was favorite granddaughter Scarlett who hogged Jono's lenstime, with her delighted smile. More of her would be welcome anytime.

scott

jonoslack

Jono,

You have to quit using Matty as a subject...could take a pinhole camera and make a series of astounding pictures with him as a subject...in fact might be a decent series for you ... pinhole cap on the M240.....

Seriously, most of what you image looks great so we have to rely on your subjective emotive response to the lenses or cameras as I have yet seen you take a picture that does not work.

Even with the A7S :ROTFL:

Damn you Bob Moore!

Regards,

Bob
Hah! Well, I'll take the compliment even though it's undeserved (and thank you), but it's worth mentioning that Matty is a bitch........

As for the A7s, it was a total winner in my book. Excellent camera, but the obvious time to use it was instead of my rangefinders, and I like shooting with rangefinder cameras.
I've still got an order for the A7ii as well, but this lens does seem like something of a 'home run' for Olympus . An equivalent lens on the A7 would be huge (should it exist)