The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Zuiko 40-150 f2.8

jonoslack

Until very recently, it was favorite granddaughter Scarlett who hogged Jono's lenstime, with her delighted smile. More of her would be welcome anytime.

scott
Sorry Scott, Scarlett lives further away (25 miles) and she isn't so often available. She is coming to stay this weekend though, so there should be more snaps then. She's scampering about these days giving everyone the runaround.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But I've never come across a charmingly imperfect zoom. This one however seems reliably and predictably good, without any obvious vices.
That's right, zoom lenses should be perfect, leaving no doubt that it will produce a perfectly good result at any focal length, any aperture and any distance. Olympus has a tradition for this, at least since the launch of 4/3 (14-35 f/2.0, 7-14 f/4.0 etc.) and they seem to walk along the same path with m4/3.

For imperfection, I find the pre-digital Nikkor AF lenses perfect. Perfect imperfection so to say. Luckily, most of them are dirt cheap compared to their computerised younger brothers. I'll be out on the beach today with the old 300mm :p

I'm keeping the GH1 and the 75mm btw. The camera isn't worth much and the lens is my favourite walk-around thing. I'm also keeping the PanaLeica 14-50mm and plan to purchase a (hopefully cheap) E-M1 when monies allow. One doesn't sell the best lenses mankind has seen :)

Knorp

Question for Jono:
- do you use the lens with or without the tripod-collar ?
- how does this affect handling ?

TIA

Kind regards.

jonoslack

Question for Jono:
- do you use the lens with or without the tripod-collar ?
- how does this affect handling ?

TIA

Kind regards.
Hi Bart
Without. I lent my tripod to someone a while back and can't remember who!
So I took the collar off. I don't know how it affects handling as I haven't shot with it on!

scott kirkpatrick

The examples and discussion of using the new 40-150 to capture friendly critters, adorable grandchildren, and slow running gentlemen got me thinking about what DO i really need circa 300m focal lengths for? So I did some experiments with an 180mm Elmarit-R on an E-P5. Once I got the 5-axis IBIS tuned in to the actual focal length, it's not that hard to hand-hold, and critters of the feline persuasion abound in our neighborhood:

The extreme compression and perspective that you get with 360 mm effective is always fun:

Long lenses see things that you aren't aware of when framing a scene. Here I discovered a gentleman soaking up the last golden rays of the afternoon sun in a nice soft couch in the middle of heaps of dirt, stone, and construction supplies:

And the species that really dominates our city, more than the cats, is the rooftop solar hot water unit, pronounced "Dude Shemesh" in Hebrew. It's a white barrel for the water, next to a flat plate heat collector. See how many you can count in this photo:

One last thing that you can do with a very long lens, is see the bigger pieces of sculpture in the gardens of the Israel Museum after it has closed for the day:

scott

jonoslack

Hi there
Here are a couple of shots taken on a chilly walk this morning - all with the 40-150 - exif should be intact

jonoslack

Hi There
I'm more and more impressed with this lens, not only is it great to use and beautifully designed - but lots of the shots seem to me to have a real presence about them. Sorry - same old subjects, but hopefully you'll get a feel for it. Exif should be intact

NB - some of these are cropped slightly - but otherwise unprocessed

Knorp

How does it handle, Jono ? Is it like the R80-200 ?
I can handle quite well my R70-210 for longer time.
So I'm wondering how this beasty behaves.

TIA

Kind regards.

jonoslack

Hi Bart
Well, I think it handles beautifully - I haven't checked the specs, but I guess it weighs about the same as the 80-200. The retractable lens hood is masterful and works really well, as does the snap focus and manual focusing.
As you know I'm an old man, and thus weak and flimsy, but I've managed to carry the E-M1 and lens in one hand for several hours without wilting too badly.
I haven't adjusted the AF - it seems really precise to me. But I haven't checked it, and I don't think I set such high standards as you - however, it does seem to focus on what I point at

Knorp

Hi Bart
Well, I think it handles beautifully - I haven't checked the specs, but I guess it weighs about the same as the 80-200. The retractable lens hood is masterful and works really well, as does the snap focus and manual focusing.
As you know I'm an old man, and thus weak and flimsy, but I've managed to carry the E-M1 and lens in one hand for several hours without wilting too badly.
I haven't adjusted the AF - it seems really precise to me. But I haven't checked it, and I don't think I set such high standards as you - however, it does seem to focus on what I point at
Thank you, Jono. Not really considering you as a flimsy old man, it's still good to know that despite the lens' apparent bulk it doesn't wear you out. My lost R70-180 was all a bit different to carry around single handed. Great exercise, though ! Fact is that Oly has put in a lot of effort making the AF very precisely adjustable. Did you see that menu option ? You can spent days working on that. I suppose they didn't do that for entertainment. So that's why I'm asking. Oh well, hope to find out for myself anytime soon ... :rolleyes:

All the very best.

les

Jono,
An off topic question, I'm completely ignorant on dog breeds, so what are your cute twosome?
Have enjoyed your recent reviews - hope these dreich days you've been having pass soon....

regards

stickan1

I got this lens (and the 12-40 + EM-1) last week and I am quite happy with it and the way it works together with the IBIS. It is possible to use it hand held at speeds down to 1/10 sec.