The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Soon 40 mpixel µ43 images ?

V

Vivek

Admittedly, I was quite fond of the G1's swivel panel, but also found it rather delicate and fragile and always feared it would break off any moment.
Too me the E-M1 solution seems more robust although less flexible.

Like with the new Sony A7 II-series I'm holding off for now and biding my time to see what more is to come in the next 1 or 2 months or so.

Kind regards.
Hi Bart, Having taken one (G1) apart, i can tell you that it is quite robust.

I gave the A7II a pass even before it went on sale. It is A9 or A7sII. :)

k-hawinkler

Hi there K-H,

I found the E-M1's on/off switch position also a little quirky at first, but got used to it and basically prefer it over the odd placement of the original E-M5 switch.
That really was a stupid idea ! What were they thinking ... :loco:

All the very best.

Hi Bart,

I agree. The original E-M5 switch was very odd.
I still use both my E-M5 and E-M1, one with 12-40, the other with 40-150 lens.
The E-M1 is one of my favorite cameras, in part due to its generally excellent user interface
- apart from the placement of the on-off switch. :D
It forces me to use a second hand to operate that switch.
But, I can take pictures with just one hand. ;)

Knorp

Hi Bart, Having taken one (G1) apart, i can tell you that it is quite robust.

I gave the A7II a pass even before it went on sale. It is A9 or A7sII. :)
Vivek, I hear you, but I'm not settling for anything less than an A9r or an A7rII ... :p

:chug:

Kind regards.

ggibson

Looks nice, although it looks like they removed the built-in flash from the E-M10. I'm definitely curious about the 40MP capability.

Totally agree on the on/off switch--I like it to be accessible with my right hand in order to save battery. Seems like Olympus has packed so many custom buttons on the E-M5II, they had to move it to the left (better position than before, I suppose).

V

Vivek

Vivek, I hear you, but I'm not settling for anything less than an A9r or an A7rII ... :p

:chug:

Kind regards.
I understand your position, Bart. But, I would look for more DR in a future cam. With that in mind, as I mentioned above, I am thinking of a few practical uses for the EM-5II. I don't have any system lenses left, except a zoom and the 20/1.7. There are a plethora of tiny adapted lenses though.

I did not notice the on/off switch until recently. What a place! :eek:
(Not a deal breaker for me)

Annna T

G1 alike! My favorite! :)

I am already sold based solely on that!
Before getting the E-P1.. etc, the E-M5 and A7r, I thought fully articulated was the best. But since I'm using those flip-up displays, I've come to like them. I'm only uncomfortable when taking shots in portrait modes and most of the time under these situations one can just use the EVF. I've come to think that the flip up display is easier to use in most situations, because a) you don't have that screen at the side. It won't mix with the neck strap, b) it is inline with the lens.

Annna T

Did you see that LCD rear panel ?
More than the LCD (I've got accustomed to the flip-up ones), my eyes are attracted to the EVF : it seems bigger than that of the E-M5 ? Hopefully it is the same one as on the E-M1 and VF4. That would be a good update IMO.
It seems like a good idea to have moved the PASM wheel to the left side of the body. And the two most used wheel seem better positioned than on the E-M5. But I'm not so sure about the AEL/AF position : it seems a little too far to the left, so I don't think it will fall easily under one's thumb.

I'm happy that they didn't increase the body size too much. From what you can see here, at least : Dicahub

V

Vivek

That is for you. I am just putting up with the tilt LCD as there is no choice.

I even wanted to put the G1's mechanism for my NEX-7. The cable from NEX is short so, that was not possible. :(

Before getting the E-P1.. etc, the E-M5 and A7r, I thought fully articulated was the best. But since I'm using those flip-up displays, I've come to like them. I'm only uncomfortable when taking shots in portrait modes and most of the time under these situations one can just use the EVF. I've come to think that the flip up display is easier to use in most situations, because a) you don't have that screen at the side. It won't mix with the neck strap, b) it is inline with the lens.

Annna T

Looks nice, although it looks like they removed the built-in flash from the E-M10. I'm definitely curious about the 40MP capability.

Totally agree on the on/off switch--I like it to be accessible with my right hand in order to save battery. Seems like Olympus has packed so many custom buttons on the E-M5II, they had to move it to the left (better position than before, I suppose).
The number of times I'm activating the on/off switch makes its position rather irrelevant to me. Much more important is where they stick the AFL/AEL button.

jonoslack

I'm right with you here - I prefer flip up - I get vertigo with a completely articulated display . . . actually I agree about all your posts - I quite like the on/off switch on the left, but I want to be able to get to the AEL with my thumb.

mmbma

i personally cannot wait for this one. my only complain for m43 has been image quality for stills. product shots and telephoto landscape would really benefit since the m43 system has two superb macro lenses and really affordable super telephoto options.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The "Panasonic style" LCD has one big advantage: The screen can be turned in towards the camera. That gives better protection, and for me, who rarely used the LCD other than for shots taken from weird angles, it meant one less disturbance. All the information is available in the viewfinder anyway.

raist3d

The 40 MP mode could make for a very nice killer small product / studio shooting camera. This doesn't benefit the photography I do but it's nice to have.

What I *really want* is an electronic shutter option.

- Ricardo