The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

Annna T

got mine today. pure class. HOWEVER, i am dissapointed that the old grips for my EM5 cannot work on the mark ii...no reason for it other than greed. Olympus just moved the tripod mount screw hole so the old grips cannot fit.
From what i see in the pictures, the mk2 is also slightly larger than the mk1; so it isn't only the tripod hole that has changed position.

But this may interest you : the two part grips can also be had separately and the lower battery part is the same as that of the mk1. Problem : it isn't yet in stock and no delay is indicated.

jonoslack

Mmm, you've seen the chrome version ? It's sooo lovely ...
Particularly with that wonderful Z100/2.0 ... [SIZE="+2"]😈[/SIZE]
I have seen it - and it is lovely . . . but I haven't found the right 100 f2 yet - but it would still look lovely with my 50 f1.2.

jonoslack

I'm certainly guilty of GAS, but reading this forum makes me feel almost reasonnable.
I think that I should get rid of most of the Canon system, now that I have an A7r. Three systems, that is just too much for one person... Canon sensors lacks DR and Sony A7 series are lacking lenses, plus most of the recent lenses issued are huge.. So apparently, MFT is still in a sweet position and may have the best compromise between size and IQ/Performance.
I'm normally here to make everyone feel better - and I have 4 systems (Leica M, T, A7ii and E-M1). The Leica M is still my squeeze, but I agree - I think MFT is still in a sweet position and that it has the best compromise between IQ/Size/Ergonomics/functionality.

I'll probably end up with an E-M5ii . . . but I do like the E-M1, and just now two bodies is a bit of an extravagance (and there's a lens or two I'm thinking of).

So I'll wait a bit. . . . . (perhaps) :)

mmbma

From what i see in the pictures, the mk2 is also slightly larger than the mk1; so it isn't only the tripod hole that has changed position.

But this may interest you : the two part grips can also be had separately and the lower battery part is the same as that of the mk1. Problem : it isn't yet in stock and no delay is indicated.
really? i have the two part grip. Does it mean I can buy only the middle grip and use my old bottom battery grip as an attachment?

Annna T

really? i have the two part grip. Does it mean I can buy only the middle grip and use my old bottom battery grip as an attachment?
Yes : here is the two parts grip : https://www.topd.ch/fr/shop/MULTIMEDIA/Fotografie-Video/Fotozubehoer/Batteriegriffe/HLD-8-Batteriehalter-fr-E-M5M2-Fr-mehr-001174960
And here the upper part only https://www.topd.ch/fr/shop/MULTIMEDIA/Fotografie-Video/Fotozubehoer/Batteriegriffe/HLD-8G-Batteriehalter-fr-E-M5M2-Der-HLD-8-G-Power-001174961

As you can see, the upper parts is smaller at the bottom, so that it can fit the battery part of the E-M5 mk1.

HLD-8G is the middle part and HLD-8 the complete two parts grip. There is also an L bracket/Grip available with an Arcaswiss type of attachment for the tripod. This smaller grip has no added button. https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/olympus-ecg-2-l-bracket-handgriff-kamera-zubehoer-3515985?pcscpId=1

As for prices, they are in Swiss francs, given the changing rate and the fact that our prices always include an 8% VAT, they are more or less equivalent to US$

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

I tell myself that I don't have GAS.

I don't obsess over small enhancements that might make my life different. But somehow, I've acquired M's ([240], -9, -8, as well as a nice -2) and lenses for them. Oh, and an E-M1 along with an E-P5 that I use with its flip-up VF4 finder and the Oly 60/2.8 macro, and an E-PL5 for loan-out. And a Ricoh GR along with its GR-D1, 2, 3, and 4 predecessors (the D1 may not still work). And Hassy Superwide and V500 bodies with a Phase One 39 MP back for them (the last of the great CCD backs that take long exposures). Can't seem to let go of any of them. I just bought a larger bag that has room for all the OM-D E-M1 stuff, including the big zoom lens, and space left over for the E-M1 Vii that I've (mentally) ordered.

It must be just impulse buying. The single spouse discretionary purchase threshold is a little too high in our family.

scott

PS: I hope everyone has seen this incredible demonstration of what all those pixels are good for.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

I tell myself that I don't have GAS.

I don't obsess over small enhancements that might make my life different. But somehow, I've acquired M's ([240], -9, -8, as well as a nice -2) and lenses for them. Oh, and an E-M1 along with an E-P5 that I use with its flip-up VF4 finder and the Oly 60/2.8 macro, and an E-PL5 for loan-out. And a Ricoh GR along with its GR-D1, 2, 3, and 4 predecessors (the D1 may not still work). And Hassy Superwide and V500 bodies with a Phase One 39 MP back for them (the last of the great CCD backs that take long exposures). Can't seem to let go of any of them. I just bought a larger bag that has room for all the OM-D E-M1 stuff, including the big zoom lens, and space left over for the E-M1 Vii that I've (mentally) ordered.

It must be just impulse buying. The single spouse discretionary purchase threshold is a little low in our family.

scott

PS: I hope everyone has seen this incredible demonstration of what all those pixels are good for.

Thanks Scott. A wonderful example!

k-hawinkler

Here is a high resolution shot from last Saturday, February 28, 2015.
It had snowed over night.
I finally could process the .ORF file with the Photoshop plugin.
Software Download | Olympus High Res Shot Raw File Photoshop Plug-in | OLYMPUS IMAGING

The 2304x1728 image

The 4608x3456 image is here: http://winklers.smugmug.com/2015-02-29-E-M5-II-12-4028-PRO/i-Zth3c3w/0/O/P2280015_4608x3456.jpg

The 9216x6912 image is here: http://winklers.smugmug.com/2015-02-29-E-M5-II-12-4028-PRO/i-FnQfLjT/0/O/P2280015_9216x6912.jpg

jonoslack

Looking Good K-H
I must get my tripod back from Tim :)

Here is my first picture with my camera (reverse gas clearly a complete failure)

Norfoik Sunset
E-M5ii 12-40

k-hawinkler

Looking Good K-H

Here is my first picture with my camera (reverse gas clearly a complete failure)

Norfoik Sunset
E-M5ii 12-40

Thanks Jono. You got a great start with a terrific combo! :thumbs:
Congratulations. My E-M5 II is a keeper for sure. :cool:

k-hawinkler

It's lovely isn't it - beautifully made and fun to use. No Buyer's remorse here!
Exactly! My favorite camera right now.
I am blown away by the fantastic high res performance!
Didn't expect that at all. The improved IBIS must make that possible.
I also like very much the image quality, certainly in good light.
AWB seems spot on most of the time as well.
Fun, fun, fun!

Annna T

Looking Good K-H

Beautifull tree Jono ! I love it.

Mine (E-M5 II) arrived this morning, only two days after the delivery if the 40-150mm & 1.4 TC converter.. I can't believe it was so fast. I had to wait from early March to mid-August of the first E-M5 and from mid-december to the 2th March for the telezoom :)

That makes a lot of gear to test and play with ! I was busy to-day, but will try to post some comparisons till the end of the week. I do also have an A7r.. That will be interesting. :D

Last edited:

scho

My E-M5 and lenses also just came in today. Tried a few HR raw shots around the house and processed all with the plugin for Photoshop using default settings. Exported 64 MP tif files to LR, converted to jpegs, and uploaded to flickr. Click to download originals. Beautiful little camera and even nicer lenses. Will take me awhile to figure out the menu system. Where did they bury the item for continuous file naming? Mine keeps resetting after turning off the camera.

scott kirkpatrick

Here is a high resolution shot from last Saturday, February 28, 2015.
It had snowed over night.
I finally could process the .ORF file with the Photoshop plugin.
Software Download | Olympus High Res Shot Raw File Photoshop Plug-in | OLYMPUS IMAGING

The 2304x1728 image

The 4608x3456 image is here: http://winklers.smugmug.com/2015-02-29-E-M5-II-12-4028-PRO/i-Zth3c3w/0/O/P2280015_4608x3456.jpg

The 9216x6912 image is here: http://winklers.smugmug.com/2015-02-29-E-M5-II-12-4028-PRO/i-FnQfLjT/0/O/P2280015_9216x6912.jpg
Not too hard on the eyes, BUT when I downloaded the largest version and scanned around at full size, I see there are what look like over-sharpening effects. For example, the halo around each wire in the fencing below the fence railing. Does the same effect happen when you ask the camera to give you the 40 MPx direct OOC jpeg? Did you keep both the ginormous raw file and the OOC jpeg?

scott

k-hawinkler

Not too hard on the eyes, BUT when I downloaded the largest version and scanned around at full size, I see there are what look like over-sharpening effects. For example, the halo around each wire in the fencing below the fence railing. Does the same effect happen when you ask the camera to give you the 40 MPx direct OOC jpeg? Did you keep both the ginormous raw file and the OOC jpeg?

scott
Many thanks Scott. Indeed, you are correct. I over-sharpened. My mistake. Sorry about that.
I don't see any halos in the OOC JPG or the image derived from the .ORF file when I use default values except for adjusting WB from 5300 K to 6000 K.

This is the OOC JPG with wrong WB of 5300 K http://winklers.smugmug.com/2015-02-29-E-M5-II-12-4028-PRO/i-XHPr3Tg/0/O/P2280015_OOC_JPG.jpg
And this is the image from .ORF with WB set to 6000 K http://winklers.smugmug.com/2015-02...RO/i-9ZqRs6F/0/O/P2280015_9216x6912_Scott.jpg

But you can see for yourself.
Here are the OOC JPG and .ORF file. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ntipficfpswt70i/AABeVttOOAtkenTlLOm9j8nBa?dl=0

PS: CORRECTION.

It appears the halos are generated by smugmug not by my processing after all.
I checked the images on my computer and they don't show any halos I can detect.

k-hawinkler

The place where the Hilltoppers live in NM. ;)

E-M5 II + Sigma 19/2.8

Very strange. I can edit the .ORF high res files with PS CS6.
But ACR doesn't recognize the regular .ORF files.
What am I missing? I don't want to deal with PS CC!

scho

Very strange. I can edit the .ORF high res files with PS CS6.
But ACR doesn't recognize the regular .ORF files.
What am I missing? I don't want to deal with PS CC!
I have both CS6 and CC 2014 and can't open either HR or regular .ORF files with either version. Using Mac OS 10.10.2.:(