The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

k-hawinkler

Thanks K-H. I have the plugin installed and use it with CS6. I thought you were trying to use ACR to open the files. Is 10.10.3 still in beta?
Yup, still in beta. I signed up for it.

The plugin seems to only open the high res files but not the regular ones of the E-M5 II.
ACR doesn't open any of the E-M5 II files. CS6 just opens the .JPG files.
That's my experience.

marlof

(Those are my favorites : the 12-40mm F2.8, the 75mm F1.8 and the PanaLeica 25mm F1.4).
You're describing the bag I'm planning to take on a trip to China later this year (with the 40-150 + TC that just arrived). Two bodies: EM1 and EM5. I have two of the latter, but might replace those (and the 12-50 and 75-300 II which won't get much use with the 12-40 and 40-150 here) for one Mark II. Like you, I mostly prefer the body size of the EM5 over the EM1. The latter is a natural fit for the 40-150 though. I use it without the grip, which I did receive for free due to a promotion here. As with the EM5, I think these grips make these cameras oversized.

scott kirkpatrick

PS: CORRECTION.

It appears the halos are generated by smugmug not by my processing after all.
I checked the images on my computer and they don't show any halos I can detect.
I don't blame smugmug -- I've taken your OOC jpegs and the jpegs shared by Robin Wong in his reviews and looked at each of them at "actual size" in Preview on a nice big screen, e.g. 100%. Olympus seems to have put in a little sharpening, appropriate for web viewing or prints of a moderate size, in their OOC jpeg recipe. It gives rise to a halo extending about 2-3 pixels around each vertical or horizontal straight wire in your snowy porch picture. It is also visible at edges between regions of solid differing colors in Robin's pictures, such the hamburger buns, and lettuce leaves. Once we get some experience with the humongous .ORF raw files, it should be possible to sharpen only as is required.

So who has seen shareable example of full RAW .ORF high resolution files from the M5 II?

scott

jonoslack

We Went to Crufts
These are all with the 40-150 (I think)

Jenni and Sooty (best young dog)

Radka and Suzie (3rd best bitch)

Blue

Gasti - best dog - runner up best of breed

Blue - runner up best bitch

I shot ORF+jpg - but these were all processed from jpg (easier right now)

The camera did really well in disgusting lighting and very fast moving action (these dogs are FAAAAAST!)

jonoslack

Here are a couple from today
I've just re-discovered the dinky 14-150 - a dead cert on the E-M5ii (such a small and powerful combination).

SpringTime?​

k-hawinkler

I don't blame smugmug -- I've taken your OOC jpegs and the jpegs shared by Robin Wong in his reviews and looked at each of them at "actual size" in Preview on a nice big screen, e.g. 100%. Olympus seems to have put in a little sharpening, appropriate for web viewing or prints of a moderate size, in their OOC jpeg recipe. It gives rise to a halo extending about 2-3 pixels around each vertical or horizontal straight wire in your snowy porch picture. It is also visible at edges between regions of solid differing colors in Robin's pictures, such the hamburger buns, and lettuce leaves. Once we get some experience with the humongous .ORF raw files, it should be possible to sharpen only as is required.

So who has seen shareable example of full RAW .ORF high resolution files from the M5 II?

scott
Thanks Scott. Could you please post a 100% crop of my OOC JPG image demonstrating the effect? Also, I made available the .ORF file. When/if you develop your own JPG from it what do you get? TIA.

I would like to clearly see and understand your observations. Thanks.

scott kirkpatrick

Dog show @Jono -- How can the best dog only be the runner-up for Best of Breed? Incidentally, did you add flash or maneuver some lights into place to get the nice headshots on the dogs in what looks like a pretty dark setting?

C-AF or S-AF?

scott

scott kirkpatrick

Here's what I hope will be a 100% crop from the fence wire shot, Which I understand was rendered in camera as a super fine resolution jpeg after taking one of the magic 40 MPx shots with the E-M5 II:

What I see on my editing display is a white area surrounding each of the wires, horizontal, vertical or hexagonal. Let's see if works in web display.

scott

jonoslack

Dog show @Jono -- How can the best dog only be the runner-up for Best of Breed? Incidentally, did you add flash or maneuver some lights into place to get the nice headshots on the dogs in what looks like a pretty dark setting?

C-AF or S-AF?

scott
Mostly S-AF - you should have thought harder Scott (I'd have bet on you) - because the best bitch won best of breed :)

No light manouvering, no flash, disgusting light :)

k-hawinkler

Here's what I hope will be a 100% crop from the fence wire shot, Which I understand was rendered in camera as a super fine resolution jpeg after taking one of the magic 40 MPx shots with the E-M5 II:

What I see on my editing display is a white area surrounding each of the wires, horizontal, vertical or hexagonal. Let's see if works in web display.

scott

Hi Scott, many thanks indeed. I am marveling at your excellent eye sight and skillful observations.
Of course, you have correctly identified the white areas surrounding each of the wires, horizontal, vertical or hexagonal.
I can see them now as well.
Before I got fooled by some transient display feature of smugmug that has nothing to do with the phenomena you have described.
Enough of that though.

What I have done is look in detail at the following 4 images and extract 200% 1024x1024 crops.
Here they are:

• OOC JPG

• This image is derived from the high res .ORF file with CS6 and the Olympus plugin.
• Apparently some sharpening is baked into the plugin.
• No further processing

• This image is derived from the high res .ORF file with Iridient and sharpening applied by Iridient

• This image is derived from the high res .ORF file with Iridient and no sharpening applied.

- I have also tried the Olympus Viewer 3. But it cannot display correctly yet a hi res image with full resolution.

So it appears sharpening has something to do with the white features you have pointed to.
Thanks again for being so accurately observant and pointing it out. Thank you.

PS: I took then the last unsharpened image and sharpened it with Nik. Also enhanced contrast a bit.

The full resolution image is here: http://winklers.smugmug.com/2015-02...dient_7296x5472_unsharpened_Nik_sharpened.jpg

Scott, please let me know if you can see any of the white stripes. TIA.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

:worthless:And now the structure behind the image!

Full 9216x6912 resolution image here: http://winklers.smugmug.com/2015-03-07-E-M5-II-42512/i-jmZCbCM/0/O/_3070024_CS6_9216x6912_B%26W_000_Neutral_024_Full_Contrast_and_Structure_^2_.jpg

Detail

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

Hi Scott, ....
• This image is derived from the high res .ORF file with CS6 and the Olympus plugin.
• Apparently some sharpening is baked into the plugin.

• This image is derived from the high res .ORF file with Iridient and sharpening applied by Iridient

• This image is derived from the high res .ORF file with Iridient and no sharpening applied.

- I have also tried the Olympus Viewer 3. But it cannot display correctly yet a hi res image with full resolution.

PS: I took then the last unsharpened image and sharpened it with Nik. Also enhanced contrast a bit.

The full resolution image is here: http://winklers.smugmug.com/2015-02...dient_7296x5472_unsharpened_Nik_sharpened.jpg

Scott, please let me know if you can see any of the white stripes. TIA.
That last version is pretty nice. Haloes are gone. You hit the right sharpening approach with your Nik setting (in photoshop terms there are two parameters to play with, size and strength, and both matter).

But I suspect that the best approach with these 40 MPx or 64 MPx images will depend on the image itself. Your dark grey wires against a snowy background are an invitation to form haloes (just as they naturally give rise to double line bokeh). Olympus probably cooked what they felt was a good typical setting into their OOC jpeg formula, and then cranked it up a bit to be on the safe side for early web reviews. I hope they dial it back a bit once we all trust them and they can trust us to only sharpen when it is needed.

Note that the oversampled images will need some sharpening. Each pixel that has sampled all four Bayer filter values (sometimes the two greens differ) gets true color information but draws it from twice the original pixel spacing. Signal processing algorithms ("deconvolution") can correctly move image information below the Nyquist spatial frequency (that means stuff that varies smoothly over at least two pixel spacings) back to where it belonged. But high frequency information, which would be aliased anyway, and noise end up contributing to blur.

Look at the experiments with the 100 MB RAW files that Dave Etchells (who knows about this stuff) did at Imaging Resource. He used a beta ACR and found things were a little soft. Then he added some sharpening that seemed just right for his fabric and typeface test image. The results beat a Nikon 810 and held up OK against a Pentax 645.

I'll play with trial Iridient and whatever files I can find and hope that Capture One comes through soon in 8.2 or 8.3. That's my preferred tool, and they are the ones who have handled Fuji's funky files best.

scott

scho

A HR shot of my silver maple tree using the 12-40 on the E-M5 II. This image has a lot of fine textural detail. Processed in Olympus HR plugin for Photoshop with default settings and then exported 64 MP tif file to LR. I only added light adaptive pre-sharpening in the NIK plugin and then exported a slightly cropped jpg to Flickr. If anyone would like to try alternative processing the original HR ORF file is available for download from my dropbox. I'm also interested in suggestions for alternative processing/sharpening workflows for these HR image files.