Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 148

Thread: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like
    With best regards, K-H.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    I am actually pretty interested.

    - Ricardo

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    I am actually pretty interested.

    - Ricardo

    Me too.
    With best regards, K-H.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Me too.
    Add me to the list !

    As for electronic shutter, 1/20 sec. Is the limit. (Read that on a Spanish review, in DSLRmagazine or Quesabesde)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    I'm tempted (but I have three perfectly good bodies already).

    Has anyone seen a description of how the 40 MPx process works? From the B&H descriptive article, I see that you turn off image stabilization, lock the camera to a tripod, and take 8 pictures at sensor shifts 1/2 pixel apart. Why 8? I would think 4 are needed, so maybe the next 4 are for averaging to reduce noise background.

    scott

    (edit): Have a look at http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-om-d-e-m5-ii/4 , where they give a pretty detailed discussion and compare M5II output with Nikon 810. It turns out that the Olympus system shifts 4X by a whole pixel step to sample all four Bayer filter values!, then it shifts half a pixel in both x and y directions in a single step and repeats the 4X process at that new origin. In the comparison, the 810 has some horrible Moire, which the M5II eliminates, but the resolution of the 810 is better.

    (second edit): Check out further comparisons at http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...s-e-m5-iiA.HTM . Dave Etchells (who is an imaging engineer) explains a bit further. The comparisons are with D810 and Sony R7s. The whole process takes about a second to happen.
    Last edited by scott kirkpatrick; 5th February 2015 at 04:34. Reason: found answer to question
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #7
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    I'm tempted (but I have three perfectly good bodies already).

    Has anyone seen a description of how the 40 MPx process works? From the B&H descriptive article, I see that you turn off image stabilization, lock the camera to a tripod, and take 8 pictures at sensor shifts 1/2 pixel apart. Why 8? I would think 4 are needed, so maybe the next 4 are for averaging to reduce noise background.

    scott

    (edit): Have a look at Olympus OM-D E-M5 II First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review , where they give a pretty detailed discussion and compare M5II output with Nikon 810. It turns out that the Olympus system shifts 4X by a whole pixel step to sample all four Bayer filter values!, then it shifts half a pixel in both x and y directions in a single step and repeats the 4X process at that new origin. In the comparison, the 810 has some horrible Moire, which the M5II eliminates, but the resolution of the 810 is better.

    (second edit): Check out further comparisons at Olympus E-M5 II Review: Now Shooting! . Dave Etchells (who is an imaging engineer) explains a bit further. The comparisons are with D810 and Sony R7s. The whole process takes about a second to happen.
    I have read these two reviews and some others during the last hours and I think that DPreview 1) hasn't used the optimal lens for their shots. 2) the raws looks softer than the jpegs, as if they were in need of further contrast and sharpening. 3) they used PS or LR for conversion, while Adobe has not yet issued a definitive support for that camera.
    I found that the Imaging Ressource samples were much more convincing. Surprisingly good in fact.

    Still the number of situations were you will be able to use the 40mb resolution aren't particularly common. Any small winds moving foliage, any moving waters will ruin your effort. And what about changing skies with clouds ? Forget about streets unless you are only looking at the higher floors (and provided no one show up at a window or a balcony... No flapping drying laundry, no flags.. Etc..
    May be it will gain some new customers for Adobe CC : those wanting to take out blurred things from the HI Res scenes..
    Last edited by Annna T; 5th February 2015 at 09:36. Reason: Sorry for all the typos : my ipad absolutely wants to replace o with i and adds other tricks too
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Any wind shaking your tripod ... as well might ruin the 40 MP shot.

    I think the real improvement seems to be their IBIS with better sensors.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Thinking about the 40MPx -- effective in JPG, it's 64 MPx in RAW -- I can understand why it blows away the D810 in Moire resistance but does not keep up as well in sharpness. It's because the process starts with 4 full pixel distance displacements, each one putting a different Bayer filter element in front of the virtual pixel where the data is accumulated. That gives an honest 24 bit Foveon-like color signal at every pixel with no aliasing. Then they repeat the four steps displaced in both the x and y directions (i.e. at 45 degrees) by a half-pixel. If you wanted to get the best information about contours to a sub-pixel resolution, you would take three images, the original shot and one displaced in x by half a pixel, then one displaced in y by the same. A 45 degree contour aligned in the +x+y direction would not be seen at all with this single displaced set of images.

    Rendering the 64 MPx raw files requires software that nobody seems to have -- I would expect all the reviews are based on in-camera jpegs.

    scott

  10. #10
    Senior Member kweide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Na, i we go for the E-M1 mk II
    __________________________________________________
    Part of the Wonderland
    see more ( NSFW ) on : http://www.klaweide.de
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,995
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    It'll be perfect for stills under controlled conditions, but the improved IBIS is probably its most interesting asset.

    All the best.
    Bart ...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    It'll be perfect for stills under controlled conditions, but the improved IBIS is probably its most interesting asset.

    All the best.

    Thanks Bart also for this pointer EE-1 Dot Sight - New | Olympus.

    That EE-1 Dot Sight should be very useful with the 300/4 lens coming later this year.
    With best regards, K-H.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Add me to the list !

    As for electronic shutter, 1/20 sec. Is the limit. (Read that on a Spanish review, in DSLRmagazine or Quesabesde)
    You mean electronic shutter goes to 1/16,000... I guess you are talking about the 40 MP mode?

    - Ricardo

    PS: My interest with this camera has nothing to dow with the 40 MP mode, as it does nothing for my photography, but the electronic shutter :-)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Here's how Hasselblad does the pixel-shifting stuff to reach 200 MPx in their $45k H5D 200C MS digital CCD MF cameras, released last summer: http://www.hasselblad.co.uk/media/48...heet_en_v2.pdf .
    They start with the same four shots spaced one pixel apart. I think of that as just lifting the Bayer filter up and shifting it each time so that you get 4X as much color information. That's their 4-shot option. The 6-shot option then takes a single exposure with the chip shifted half a pixel to the left and another with the chip shifted half a pixel up. If you really wanted perfect non-interpolated color and twice the linear resolution, I guess this would take 12 shots (4x3), but even the H5 doesn't have buffers that big...

    scott

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Well, this camera looks real nice but I want to play with some raws on sharp lenses. There's nothing particularly wrong, but I have really become more and more sensitive to the effects of an anti- alias filter now that I have been using AA-less cameras for a while and as hard as I try to look for detail, there is this "micro smear" that seems to kill some details. It's been always there on AA cameras in general.

    So the question it, at least for night shots, at what point the necessity to do more noise reduction on a smaller sensor matches this one with the AA filter.

    Ah well, will wait for more raws.

    - Ricardo

    PS: Iridient can open the RAW files of this camera. It's not officially supported but the current unofficial support is actually pretty decent color/exposure wise, so we can start seeing some raw files. It certainly does not support the high-res mode.

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,995
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Those files are huge ...
    What will support the 64M RAWs ?
    What about your SD cards ?

    When shooting in RAW+JPEG mode, the camera will save a 40M JPEG file, a 64M RAW (ORF) file and a 16M RAW (ORI) file. 64M RAW images may be processed using Photoshop CS4 and later with a required plug-in.
    One shot ... 120M
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #17
    Member bavanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Raist,

    From what I have been reading it sounds like the new Em-5 mkII does not have an anti aliasing filter.

    Aaron

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Quote Originally Posted by bavanor View Post
    Raist,

    From what I have been reading it sounds like the new Em-5 mkII does not have an anti aliasing filter.

    Aaron
    Thanks Aaron- do you have a link with an official Olympus statement or specs sheet where it mentions it? Thanks, much appreciated.

    - Ricardo

  19. #19
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,868
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    From what I know already the EM5 and the EM1 do not have AA filters!

    So why would Olympus go back to AA filters in a newer model?

    Peter

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    I know the EM-1 doesn't have one, but I was never able to fully corroborate the EM-5 doesn't have one. Do you have a link that proves the E-M5 does not have an AA filter?

    The look on the shots I am seeing of the EM5 MKII seems like it has one.

    Now, why would Olympus go from EM-1 with no AA to EM5 MKII with one? Simple- it can be part of a way to draw the line between the two tiers. It's like with the old 4/3rds - even though the e-620/e-420 used a "similar sensor to" the high end E's, the higher tier always had an extra something.

    Basically, if it has no AA filter, why is it nowhere on the specs or marketing materials? I certainly could have missed something.

    - Ricardo

  21. #21
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,868
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    I know the EM-1 doesn't have one, but I was never able to fully corroborate the EM-5 doesn't have one. Do you have a link that proves the E-M5 does not have an AA filter?

    The look on the shots I am seeing of the EM5 MKII seems like it has one.

    Now, why would Olympus go from EM-1 with no AA to EM5 MKII with one? Simple- it can be part of a way to draw the line between the two tiers. It's like with the old 4/3rds - even though the e-620/e-420 used a "similar sensor to" the high end E's, the higher tier always had an extra something.

    Basically, if it has no AA filter, why is it nowhere on the specs or marketing materials? I certainly could have missed something.

    - Ricardo
    Ricardo,

    unfortunately I do not have a link proving that the EM5 has no AA filter. But what I read in the past about the EM5 made me believe that it does not. And I never found the EM5 files crippled by an AA filter - meaning that I do not see any difference between the EM1 and the EM5 I own.

    Sorry if I cannot be of more help

    Peter

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    So here you go, from Imaging-Resource review on the E-M1, the E-M5 *did* have an AA filter:

    "Olympus says that it has also improved noise performance of the sensor versus that in the E-M5, and removed the optical low-pass filter for better per-pixel sharpness. Like any OLPF-free camera -- and they're becoming increasingly common -- that's going to increase the risk of moiré patterning, false color, and other such artifacts, however."

    It's cited as one improvement of the E-M1 over the E-M5. So it's quite possible at this tier Olympus may want to keep that in to both separate the high end and this tier, and to avoid issues with customers who may not know how to deal with color moire when it shows up.

    - Ricardo

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Thanks for the reply. It looks like the EM-5 MKII has one. Still trying to double check. Thanks again.

    - Ricardo

  24. #24
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Pekka Potka a photographer from Finland was able to use the new E-M5II for a few hours.
    He has some interesting remarks/review in his blog. In particular, he made a few comparisons between the Hires mode and the D810 using test charts and he also analyzed the effect of movements at different shutter speeds (using a clockwatch), still testing the Hires mode. I think it is worth reading.


    Pekka Potka remarks on the E-M5II

  25. #25
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,868
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    If the EM5II really has an AA filter it becomes finally less interesting to me.

    So please - if you figure out, let us know.

    Many thanks

    Peter

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Pekka Potka a photographer from Finland was able to use the new E-M5II for a few hours.
    He has some interesting remarks/review in his blog. In particular, he made a few comparisons between the Hires mode and the D810 using test harts and he also tested the effect of movements at different shutter speeds (using a clockwatch) when using the Hires mode. I think it is worth reading.


    Pekka Potka remarks on the E-M5II
    Thanks for the link Anna. I checked this out. This mode doesn't do much for me, but those who are studio photographers/product photographers can sure make something great out of it.

    - Ricardo
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    So I was able to get a response from one of the guys that worked with Olympus making one of the promotional videos on the E-m5 MKII, that the E-M5 MKII has no AA filter. He told me it's one of the first things he asked them when he started to work with them. :-)

    He's been very generous and shared some raw files, I am going to examine those closely.

    Here's his reply with the thread at dpreview.

    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55248294

    - Ricardo
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    After examining some raw files, I can find a few (3-4) that have more of the detail I was looking for. I am getting closer to preorder with the F1.8 25mm prime (one of my very favorite focal lengths- 50mm) and if it work, start selling everything else.

    Not jumping just yet but almost :-)

    - Ricardo

  29. #29
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,868
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Video seems to be pretty amazing

    https://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/20...ng-wilderness/

    Peter

  30. #30
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,868
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    So I was able to get a response from one of the guys that worked with Olympus making one of the promotional videos on the E-m5 MKII, that the E-M5 MKII has no AA filter. He told me it's one of the first things he asked them when he started to work with them. :-)

    He's been very generous and shared some raw files, I am going to examine those closely.

    Here's his reply with the thread at dpreview.

    Re: Does the E-5 MKII sensor have or does not have an AA filter?: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

    - Ricardo
    Ricardo,

    excellent news!

    Peter

  31. #31
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,868
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    After examining some raw files, I can find a few (3-4) that have more of the detail I was looking for. I am getting closer to preorder with the F1.8 25mm prime (one of my very favorite focal lengths- 50mm) and if it work, start selling everything else.

    Not jumping just yet but almost :-)

    - Ricardo
    Looks good! I am actually close to order one too ....

    How fast things can change

  32. #32
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Does anybody know when the OM-D E-M5 Mark II is supposed to ship?

    BTW, if one orders the EE-1 Dot Sight from Olympus it says will ship in March.
    However Amazon says it will ship in April. Olympus charges tax, Amazon doesn't in my state.
    With best regards, K-H.

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    In the USA, Feb 27, 2015. Supposedly.

    - Ricardo
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #34
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    There is an interesting review of Thom Hogan at SansMirror

    It includes a rant on the bad habit of Olympus engineers to rearrange buttons with each new models. You can read between the lines that he would have preferred to get the new HIRES trick in an E-M1 Mk 2. While with the E-M5mk2 the change between the two bodies (E-M1<>E-M5II) isn't smooth if you want to use both in the same shooting or alternatively.

    Personnally, I'm happy that they offered in this new tricks and other improvements (electronic shutter and better EVF) in the E-M5 shape because that body fits my hands better and I don't care for PDAF.

    But he has a point when it comes to rearranging the buttons. I'm not sure about the positioning of the AEL/AFL button for instance... Although the rest seems more ergonomic than the previous model. Anyway, each time a new body is issued some changes are clear improvements, but other less so. Given the number of iterations of their different models, they should have found a set of basic configurations for each model line and hold onto them.

    In the same line of thoughts previous flashes won't be compatible without the EP2 multiport.

    So what do you think of the Sansmirror review ?
    Last edited by Annna T; 8th February 2015 at 00:00.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    I think any smearing is due to the display of JPEGs, which always look pretty awful when uploaded onto the web, usually at a diminished quality setting.

    I am pretty sure this camera has no AA filter.

    Looks like a great little camera, but launch price in UK is high at £899. Anyone know what the Mk I was priced at launch? The new one has new features, but so did the Sony A7II, which is the same price as the old one, just about.

  36. #36
    Member bavanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    HI Raist,

    Sorry for the long pause in response. At imaging resources here for em5 vs em5II and here for em1 vs em5II you can see they call out that the em5II has no anti alias filter. And that the em1 does not have an anti aliasing filter either.

    Aaron

  37. #37
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    I think any smearing is due to the display of JPEGs, which always look pretty awful when uploaded onto the web, usually at a diminished quality setting.

    I am pretty sure this camera has no AA filter.

    Looks like a great little camera, but launch price in UK is high at £899. Anyone know what the Mk I was priced at launch? The new one has new features, but so did the Sony A7II, which is the same price as the old one, just about.
    Here is a link to the announcement of the E-am5 @DPreview back in February 2012. You will find the Olympus press release and the prices indicated in that release, plus under it, a few "street prices" added by DPreview.

    The launch price of the E-M5 II seems about 10% higher. However it is a little early to know what the real street price of the E-M5 II will be.


    Price of the E-M5 I indicated by DPreview in the announcement :

    Estimated Street Price in the US :
    $999.99 (Body only, available in Black and Silver)
    $1,299.99 (Black or Silver body with black M.ZUIKO Digital ED 12-50 mm f3.5-6.3 EZ lens)
    $1,099.99 (Black body with black M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42 mm f3.5-5.6 II R lens)

    And a little lower concerning Europe :

    MSRP EU: € 1099 (Body only) UK: £1149.99 EU: € 1299 (with M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3) (there is no UK price indicated for body only)
    NB : Don't forget that EU prices always include the VAT of around 20%, while US prices never include it.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  38. #38
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,995
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    And a little lower concerning Europe :

    MSRP EU: € 1099 (Body only) UK: £1149.99 EU: € 1299 (with M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3) (there is no UK price indicated for body only)
    NB : Don't forget that EU prices always include the VAT of around 20%, while US prices never include it.
    My dealer also advertises this kit: € 1799 - EM5-mkII with M.Zuiko 12-40 Pro
    Bart ...

  39. #39
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    Well, this camera looks real nice but I want to play with some raws on sharp lenses. There's nothing particularly wrong, but I have really become more and more sensitive to the effects of an anti- alias filter now that I have been using AA-less cameras for a while and as hard as I try to look for detail, there is this "micro smear" that seems to kill some details. It's been always there on AA cameras in general.

    So the question it, at least for night shots, at what point the necessity to do more noise reduction on a smaller sensor matches this one with the AA filter.

    Ah well, will wait for more raws.

    - Ricardo

    PS: Iridient can open the RAW files of this camera. It's not officially supported but the current unofficial support is actually pretty decent color/exposure wise, so we can start seeing some raw files. It certainly does not support the high-res mode.
    RPP can also open and process high res ORF files (64 MP) and the one I tried from ImagingResource look very impressive when output as a 16 bit tiff to LR.
    Carl
    Gallery

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    There is an interesting review of Thom Hogan at SansMirror

    It includes a rant on the bad habit of Olympus engineers to rearrange buttons with each new models. You can read between the lines that he would have preferred to get the new HIRES trick in an E-M1 Mk 2. While with the E-M5mk2 the change between the two bodies (E-M1<>E-M5II) isn't smooth if you want to use both in the same shooting or alternatively.
    Personally, I'm happy that they offered in this new tricks and other improvements (electronic shutter and better EVF) in the E-M5 shape because that body fits my hands better and I don't care for PDAF.

    I would care for PDAF unless the contrast AF is so fast that I don't care (I don't do tracking AF, so I am ok with that too).

    Silent Shutter is *the* feature that is making me look at the camera, as a camera with this feature set *and* silent shutter is what I see works for what I normally do.


    So what do you think of the Sansmirror review ?
    Well, his is not a review, he doesn't have the camera yet. I think he points out valid things on the controls and most importantly, menus- but some of the changes they did now AFAIk were because users wanted it differently. Though I would say Olympus has been around for long enough that they should have figured this out by now. I will never understand when they first did the E1 (great) and later the E-3/E-5 interfaces which were over complicated messes, imho.

    Putting the super control panel up is great. It's like they were ashamed of it for a while and tried to go after a Canon interface - that never made sense to me. I find the super control panel great- just improve on its metaphor. Make it a super duper great super control panel. :-)

    - Ricardo

  41. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Quote Originally Posted by bavanor View Post
    HI Raist,

    Sorry for the long pause in response. At imaging resources here for em5 vs em5II and here for em1 vs em5II you can see they call out that the em5II has no anti alias filter. And that the em1 does not have an anti aliasing filter either.

    Aaron
    I knew about the E-M1 not having it. Anyway, I was able to verify already, though I wish Olympus would put this on their specs. It's a pro, not a cons. At least let people officially know :-)

    Thanks for the follow up.


    - Ricardo

  42. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    After careful examination of some raw files made available to me, I decided to preorder with F1.8 25mm Olympus prime (probably my favorite focal length along with anything 150mm+).

    When I get it, I will put it through its paces for my night shooting. If it works great, I'll start selling a bunch of stuff. If it doesn't, it goes back and keep my Nikon 1 for this year and wait for the Fuji X-E3 next.

    I really don't care about brands much anymore. I have some preferences but I care about my photography now more and more. Much more.

    - Ricardo
    Last edited by raist3d; 8th February 2015 at 20:38.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  43. #43
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  44. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    can't believe there's no trade up program for current em5 users

  45. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    does it say anywhere that the old grips for EM5 could be used on the Em5 2 or not?

  46. #46
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    does it say anywhere that the old grips for EM5 could be used on the Em5 2 or not?
    Yes and no : the E-M5 grip was a two parts one and There was no was no way to buy only the upper (horizontal) part.

    The E-M5 II isn't compatible with the horizontal part of the E-M5 grip. But you can buy the two parts of the E-M5 II grip separately and the bottom (vertical) part of the grip is the same as that of the E-M5 I.

    So this isn't completely a bad news : 1) you need a new horizontal grip but 2) you can buy only the upper (horizontal) part, if you already have the bottom (vertical) part of the E-M5 grip, or if you don't want/need the vertical battery grip.

  47. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Question- can the battery holder grip be used by itself without having to attach the upper grip?

    thanks

    - Ricardo

  48. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    when will this baby ship!

  49. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    In USA apparently Feb 27, 2015.

  50. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    145
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    Question- can the battery holder grip be used by itself without having to attach the upper grip?

    thanks

    - Ricardo
    I don't think so, the contacts are in a different position.

    geb

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •