The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EM1 v3.0 firmware update

Godfrey

Well, if you started taking pictures of hummingbirds it might. :D
I like the notion, but I'm not sure I understand it.

In the little video I do, I like moving the camera around quite a bit. Having a decoupled viewfinder that's big enough to see easily would be neat. That's what I meant.

G

Godfrey

Finally had a moment last night to run the update with OV3. Updated both OV3 and the E-M1. It completed with no problems (yay!).

Tried my ZD 35 Macro and ZD 11-22 as well as the Summilux-DG 25. All seems well, the ZDs do focus a bit more snappily than before.

One thing I noticed and wonder about: is focus peaking a bit faster, more responsive, than it was before? I recall when I got the E-PL7 and turned on peaking it seemed snappier than the E-M1—now they seem about the same. All to the good. :)

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Finally had a moment last night to run the update with OV3. Updated both OV3 and the E-M1. It completed with no problems (yay!).

Tried my ZD 35 Macro and ZD 11-22 as well as the Summilux-DG 25. All seems well, the ZDs do focus a bit more snappily than before.

One thing I noticed and wonder about: is focus peaking a bit faster, more responsive, than it was before? I recall when I got the E-PL7 and turned on peaking it seemed snappier than the E-M1—now they seem about the same. All to the good. :)

G
I had installed the update earlier this week. So far I see no issues and all works fine. AF-C is just a breeze - follows nicely and almost never looses track, at least in decent light. I cannot praise AF-C and CH enough, as it really works admirably good - over the whole picture frame with m43 glass. Which is much better than any DSLR and also better than other mirrorless cameras like the Fuji XT1, which only allows tracking in the middle of the frame, where the 9 PDAF sensors are located.

All in all I am very happy with the EM1 and my lenses, especially the 2.8/40-150 and the 1.8/75.

I also see that Olympus takes Firmware updates serious, at least they are not behind others like Fuji who are always praised for FW updates of older models.

KUDOS Olympus!

mazor

G

Good to know, so the update to 2.2 improved ZD AF performance, and the 3.0 further improves it further?

Godfrey

Good to know, so the update to 2.2 improved ZD AF performance, and the 3.0 further improves it further?
Yes. 3.0 targets major improvement specifically for C-AF and tracking with FT lenses, but it seems to effect an overall AF performance improvement.

The improved peaking performance I didn't expect, but it's very nice!

G

mazor

I am really enjoying these major firmware updates for the E-M1. The improvements are quite noticeable, and once updated. It is like I am getting an upgraded camera.