Thread: EM1 v3.0 firmware update

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: EM1 v3.0 firmware update

It's not official yet (I think), but apparently coming from Oly's own website ...
    However, use at your own risk !
    If in doubt - better wait for the official release on the 24th of February

OLY_E_109_3001_0000_0000.BIN

After downloading, you can now update the firmware via the SD card method.
    Yup, it worked for me, but please read the instructions carefully ...

- Rename the downloaded file to “E1092100.BIN”.
    - Copy the file into a folder called “DCOLYMP” (you have to create this) on the SD card.
    - Start the camera while pushing the OK button.
    - The red (AF assist) LED will go on for some time.
    - When the red LED is flashing on/off, restart the camera now and your all done.
    - Check firmware version in the menu, should read now 3.0 for the body.

Bart ...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in no rush ... I'll let others experiment until it's officially announced as available.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

You're absolutely right, Godfrey (this time ... ).

Besides, I can't notice much, if any, difference at all.
    Better wait a bit, folks !

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    You're absolutely right, Godfrey (this time ... ).

Besides, I can't notice much, if any, difference at all.
    Better wait a bit, folks !

Kind regards.
    Thanks Bart. Is there a document pointing out the changes?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Bart, where did you find the instructions for installing this firmware in an SD card directory, as opposed to through Olympus software and their (unique) USB cable, which I never seem to have with me? Is there a similar card installation process for lens firmware upgrades?

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Bart. Is there a document pointing out the changes?
    Here you go

OLYMPUS ADVANCES FLAGSHIP CAMERA WITH INCREDIBLE SEQUENTIAL SHOOTING SPEED
    Olympus Announces Firmware Version 3.0 for the Award Winning OM-D E-M1 with Improved Capabilities for Sequential Shooting.
    The award-winning flagship Olympus OM-D E-M1, featuring 5-axis image stabilization, TruePic VII image processor and tethered shooting, is now more impressive than ever before. With the introduction of new firmware Version 3.0, the weather-resistant camera is now capable of an impressive maximum 9 fps in the C-AF sequential shooting mode when using a Four Thirds or Micro Four Thirds lens, improving the ability to capture moving subjects.
    The newest firmware upgrade features an enhanced algorithm for phase-detection, raising the former C-AF sequential shooting speed of 6.5 fps to a maximum high speed of 9 fps. With this update, AF tracking performance is improved when using continuous-AF (C-AF) Sequential H mode. When set to C-AF, 37-point on-chip phase detection AF is used. Now, when capturing a quick-moving subject, photographers never need to miss the shot. A maximum 10 fps remains available when set to Single-AF (S-AF) Sequential H mode.
    The update also adds support for the latest Version 2.5 of the Olympus Image Share Android and iOS app. Users can now select Movie as a shooting mode, and record movies while viewing the Live View screen on a smartphone.
    The Olympus firmware Version 3.0 will be available in February 2015.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    Bart, where did you find the instructions for installing this firmware in an SD card directory, as opposed to through Olympus software and their (unique) USB cable, which I never seem to have with me? Is there a similar card installation process for lens firmware upgrades?

scott
    Hi Scott,

The problem is getting the actual firmware file.
    Olympus has automated the whole process through their camera updater.
    Some clever chaps managed to find the location on Oly's web site and described the manual process. But AFAIK it is not the official procedure.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Much as I dislike the fussiness of Olympus' recommended procedure, it does get you lens updates as well as camera updates. And it is not easy from Olympus' websites to find out when lens updates are possible/needed. So maybe I will stick with the standard methods.

scott

Post Thanks / Like

Just did the SD card method to update my E-M1 to 3.0. All good so far, when using CAF H, I see the extra "four thirds PDAF" sensor area light up. I guess the firmware enables the dedicated PDAF only mode usually reserved for adapting older four thirds lenses for use with micro four thirds lenses.

The CAF is better than before, but don't expect DSLR phase based performance yet

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

How much people talk about C-AF and AF-Tracking is always surprising to me. I have yet to find a use for it, with any camera.

What do you use it for?

G

Post Thanks / Like

hmm took this just yesterday using CAF

Untitled

Tried capturing shots of people moving torwards me with SAF, but with aperture at 1.2, the DOF is pretty narrow, and by the time the focus locks and shutter is released, focus may not be quite as precise.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    Just did the SD card method to update my E-M1 to 3.0. All good so far, when using CAF H, I see the extra "four thirds PDAF" sensor area light up. I guess the firmware enables the dedicated PDAF only mode usually reserved for adapting older four thirds lenses for use with micro four thirds lenses.

The CAF is better than before, but don't expect DSLR phase based performance yet
    Reactions found on the internet suggest that this firmware indeed improves CAF and tracking.
    I had no time yet to test this in the wild nor did I find any change in operation.
    Especially this "raising the former C-AF sequential shooting speed of 6.5 fps to a maximum high speed of 9 fps." puzzles me.
    In the menu it still says 6.5 fps max.
    Perhaps I'm missing something here ?

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    How much people talk about C-AF and AF-Tracking is always surprising to me. I have yet to find a use for it, with any camera.

What do you use it for?

G
    Hi there Godfrey,

agreed, CAF and Tracking are the two settings I use the least.
    Could be handy catching 'fast' moving targets (animals, children, cars, etc).
    But 99.8% of the time I'm shooting 'stationary' subjects.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

What do you use it for?

G
    I use it for example when the family is skiing, I use it if kids are running or riding the bike, thing s like that.
    But I havent used it much with the EM1 because the EM1 CAF did convince me so far and the EM1 S-AF is quite fast for S-AF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Reactions found on the internet suggest that this firmware indeed improves CAF and tracking.
    I had no time yet to test this in the wild nor did I find any change in operation.
    Especially this "raising the former C-AF sequential shooting speed of 6.5 fps to a maximum high speed of 9 fps." puzzles me.
    In the menu it still says 6.5 fps max.
    Perhaps I'm missing something here ?

Kind regards.
    the firmware 3.0 updates the CAF H and not the CAF L. CAF L (low speed burst) still will be at max 6.5fps but now the CAF H which would only pre AF the first shot in a sequence will now AF continuously using the PDAF feature on the E-M1.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

hmm, For those interested, using mft lenses I found that enabling C-AF for stills using single shot, ie non burst modes, the camera seems to default to using on chip PDAF sensors, and AF is really quite swift and efficient compared to using S-AF which tends to shimmer into focus at a rapid rate. What is interesting though is if AF lock is not acquired on the first try (eg horizontal lines) using C-AF, the lens will rack to the extents, and no acquire focus lock at all (identical behavior to my older DSLRs), whereas in S-AF it seems to use CDAF all the time, and always gets a lock.

So now I find myself using one myset for C-AF and one for S-AF depending on the situation. In good light and high contrast subjects I am torn to which mode to use. Both a very accurate, with the C-AF setting being more DSLR like.

Maybe Olympus should put an update that has a mode called SC-AF or hybrid AF, that will use PDAF when in good light and CDAF in low light or when PDAF fails to lock. It would makes things alot simpler

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Firmware Version 3.0 Details

The firmware version 3.0 update’s primary function is to boost maximum framerate from 6.5 fps to 9 when shooting in continuous AF mode.

With this update, AF tracking performance is improved when using continuous-AF (C-AF) Sequential H mode. When set to C-AF, 37-point on-chip phase detection AF is used.
    AF tracking during C-AF continuous shooting in continuous shooting H mode is supported.
    Previously, in continuous shooting L mode 6.5 frames per second was possible, but now taking a maximum of 9 frames per second in continuous shooting H mode is possible.
    * We recommend setting C-AF Lock as standard when using C-AF.
    OI.Share Ver. 2.5 is supported.
    Live view display when shooting movies is possible.
    Update Olympus E-M1 Firmware Update V3.0 via Digital Camera Updater
    Link to the instructions document: http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...tion_em1_e.pdf
    Last edited by Knorp; 24th February 2015 at 09:42. Reason: link not for the complete manual !
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I doubt the C-AF changes will do much for me, but the ability to stream video to the iPad or iPhone when shooting might prove useful. I'll try the update process from OV3 this evening.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I doubt the C-AF changes will do much for me, but the ability to stream video to the iPad or iPhone when shooting might prove useful. I'll try the update process from OV3 this evening.

G

Well, if you started taking pictures of hummingbirds it might.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Well, if you started taking pictures of hummingbirds it might.
    I like the notion, but I'm not sure I understand it.

In the little video I do, I like moving the camera around quite a bit. Having a decoupled viewfinder that's big enough to see easily would be neat. That's what I meant.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally had a moment last night to run the update with OV3. Updated both OV3 and the E-M1. It completed with no problems (yay!).

Tried my ZD 35 Macro and ZD 11-22 as well as the Summilux-DG 25. All seems well, the ZDs do focus a bit more snappily than before.

One thing I noticed and wonder about: is focus peaking a bit faster, more responsive, than it was before? I recall when I got the E-PL7 and turned on peaking it seemed snappier than the E-M1Śnow they seem about the same. All to the good. :-)

G

Post Thanks / Like

Finally had a moment last night to run the update with OV3. Updated both OV3 and the E-M1. It completed with no problems (yay!).

Tried my ZD 35 Macro and ZD 11-22 as well as the Summilux-DG 25. All seems well, the ZDs do focus a bit more snappily than before.

One thing I noticed and wonder about: is focus peaking a bit faster, more responsive, than it was before? I recall when I got the E-PL7 and turned on peaking it seemed snappier than the E-M1Śnow they seem about the same. All to the good. :-)

G
    I had installed the update earlier this week. So far I see no issues and all works fine. AF-C is just a breeze - follows nicely and almost never looses track, at least in decent light. I cannot praise AF-C and CH enough, as it really works admirably good - over the whole picture frame with m43 glass. Which is much better than any DSLR and also better than other mirrorless cameras like the Fuji XT1, which only allows tracking in the middle of the frame, where the 9 PDAF sensors are located.

All in all I am very happy with the EM1 and my lenses, especially the 2.8/40-150 and the 1.8/75.

I also see that Olympus takes Firmware updates serious, at least they are not behind others like Fuji who are always praised for FW updates of older models.

KUDOS Olympus!
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

G

Good to know, so the update to 2.2 improved ZD AF performance, and the 3.0 further improves it further?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    Good to know, so the update to 2.2 improved ZD AF performance, and the 3.0 further improves it further?
    Yes. 3.0 targets major improvement specifically for C-AF and tracking with FT lenses, but it seems to effect an overall AF performance improvement.

The improved peaking performance I didn't expect, but it's very nice!

G

Post Thanks / Like

I am really enjoying these major firmware updates for the E-M1. The improvements are quite noticeable, and once updated. It is like I am getting an upgraded camera.