The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EM1 v3.0 firmware update

Knorp

It's not official yet (I think), but apparently coming from Oly's own website ...
However, use at your own risk !
If in doubt - better wait for the official release on the 24th of February :lecture:

OLY_E_109_3001_0000_0000.BIN

After downloading, you can now update the firmware via the SD card method.
Yup, it worked for me, but please read the instructions carefully ... :)

- Rename the downloaded file to “E1092100.BIN”.
- Copy the file into a folder called “DCOLYMP” (you have to create this) on the SD card.
- Start the camera while pushing the OK button.
- The red (AF assist) LED will go on for some time.
- When the red LED is flashing on/off, restart the camera now and your all done.
- Check firmware version in the menu, should read now 3.0 for the body.

:watch:

Godfrey

I'm in no rush ... I'll let others experiment until it's officially announced as available.

G

Knorp

You're absolutely right, Godfrey (this time ... :p).

Besides, I can't notice much, if any, difference at all.
Better wait a bit, folks !

Kind regards.

scott kirkpatrick

Bart, where did you find the instructions for installing this firmware in an SD card directory, as opposed to through Olympus software and their (unique) USB cable, which I never seem to have with me? Is there a similar card installation process for lens firmware upgrades?

scott

Knorp

Thanks Bart. Is there a document pointing out the changes?
Here you go :)

OLYMPUS ADVANCES FLAGSHIP CAMERA WITH INCREDIBLE SEQUENTIAL SHOOTING SPEED
Olympus Announces Firmware Version 3.0 for the Award Winning OM-D E-M1 with Improved Capabilities for Sequential Shooting.
The award-winning flagship Olympus OM-D E-M1, featuring 5-axis image stabilization, TruePic VII image processor and tethered shooting, is now more impressive than ever before. With the introduction of new firmware Version 3.0, the weather-resistant camera is now capable of an impressive maximum 9 fps in the C-AF sequential shooting mode when using a Four Thirds or Micro Four Thirds lens, improving the ability to capture moving subjects.
The newest firmware upgrade features an enhanced algorithm for phase-detection, raising the former C-AF sequential shooting speed of 6.5 fps to a maximum high speed of 9 fps. With this update, AF tracking performance is improved when using continuous-AF (C-AF) Sequential H mode. When set to C-AF, 37-point on-chip phase detection AF is used. Now, when capturing a quick-moving subject, photographers never need to miss the shot. A maximum 10 fps remains available when set to Single-AF (S-AF) Sequential H mode.
The update also adds support for the latest Version 2.5 of the Olympus Image Share Android and iOS app. Users can now select Movie as a shooting mode, and record movies while viewing the Live View screen on a smartphone.
The Olympus firmware Version 3.0 will be available in February 2015.

Knorp

Bart, where did you find the instructions for installing this firmware in an SD card directory, as opposed to through Olympus software and their (unique) USB cable, which I never seem to have with me? Is there a similar card installation process for lens firmware upgrades?

scott
Hi Scott,

The problem is getting the actual firmware file.
Olympus has automated the whole process through their camera updater.
Some clever chaps managed to find the location on Oly's web site and described the manual process. But AFAIK it is not the official procedure.

Kind regards.

scott kirkpatrick

Much as I dislike the fussiness of Olympus' recommended procedure, it does get you lens updates as well as camera updates. And it is not easy from Olympus' websites to find out when lens updates are possible/needed. So maybe I will stick with the standard methods.

scott

mazor

Just did the SD card method to update my E-M1 to 3.0. All good so far, when using CAF H, I see the extra "four thirds PDAF" sensor area light up. I guess the firmware enables the dedicated PDAF only mode usually reserved for adapting older four thirds lenses for use with micro four thirds lenses.

The CAF is better than before, but don't expect DSLR phase based performance yet ;)

Godfrey

How much people talk about C-AF and AF-Tracking is always surprising to me. I have yet to find a use for it, with any camera.

What do you use it for?

G

mazor

hmm took this just yesterday using CAF

Untitled

Tried capturing shots of people moving torwards me with SAF, but with aperture at 1.2, the DOF is pretty narrow, and by the time the focus locks and shutter is released, focus may not be quite as precise.

Knorp

Just did the SD card method to update my E-M1 to 3.0. All good so far, when using CAF H, I see the extra "four thirds PDAF" sensor area light up. I guess the firmware enables the dedicated PDAF only mode usually reserved for adapting older four thirds lenses for use with micro four thirds lenses.

The CAF is better than before, but don't expect DSLR phase based performance yet ;)
Reactions found on the internet suggest that this firmware indeed improves CAF and tracking.
I had no time yet to test this in the wild nor did I find any change in operation.
Especially this "raising the former C-AF sequential shooting speed of 6.5 fps to a maximum high speed of 9 fps." puzzles me.
In the menu it still says 6.5 fps max.
Perhaps I'm missing something here ?

Kind regards.

Knorp

How much people talk about C-AF and AF-Tracking is always surprising to me. I have yet to find a use for it, with any camera.

What do you use it for?

G
Hi there Godfrey,

agreed, CAF and Tracking are the two settings I use the least.
Could be handy catching 'fast' moving targets (animals, children, cars, etc).
But 99.8% of the time I'm shooting 'stationary' subjects.

Kind regards.

Paratom

What do you use it for?

G
I use it for example when the family is skiing, I use it if kids are running or riding the bike, thing s like that.
But I havent used it much with the EM1 because the EM1 CAF did convince me so far and the EM1 S-AF is quite fast for S-AF.

mazor

Reactions found on the internet suggest that this firmware indeed improves CAF and tracking.
I had no time yet to test this in the wild nor did I find any change in operation.
Especially this "raising the former C-AF sequential shooting speed of 6.5 fps to a maximum high speed of 9 fps." puzzles me.
In the menu it still says 6.5 fps max.
Perhaps I'm missing something here ?

Kind regards.
the firmware 3.0 updates the CAF H and not the CAF L. CAF L (low speed burst) still will be at max 6.5fps but now the CAF H which would only pre AF the first shot in a sequence will now AF continuously using the PDAF feature on the E-M1.

mazor

hmm, For those interested, using mft lenses I found that enabling C-AF for stills using single shot, ie non burst modes, the camera seems to default to using on chip PDAF sensors, and AF is really quite swift and efficient compared to using S-AF which tends to shimmer into focus at a rapid rate. What is interesting though is if AF lock is not acquired on the first try (eg horizontal lines) using C-AF, the lens will rack to the extents, and no acquire focus lock at all (identical behavior to my older DSLRs), whereas in S-AF it seems to use CDAF all the time, and always gets a lock.

So now I find myself using one myset for C-AF and one for S-AF depending on the situation. In good light and high contrast subjects I am torn to which mode to use. Both a very accurate, with the C-AF setting being more DSLR like.

Maybe Olympus should put an update that has a mode called SC-AF or hybrid AF, that will use PDAF when in good light and CDAF in low light or when PDAF fails to lock. It would makes things alot simpler

Knorp

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Firmware Version 3.0 Details

The firmware version 3.0 update’s primary function is to boost maximum framerate from 6.5 fps to 9 when shooting in continuous AF mode.

With this update, AF tracking performance is improved when using continuous-AF (C-AF) Sequential H mode. When set to C-AF, 37-point on-chip phase detection AF is used.
AF tracking during C-AF continuous shooting in continuous shooting H mode is supported.
Previously, in continuous shooting L mode 6.5 frames per second was possible, but now taking a maximum of 9 frames per second in continuous shooting H mode is possible.
* We recommend setting C-AF Lock as standard when using C-AF.
OI.Share Ver. 2.5 is supported.
Live view display when shooting movies is possible.
Update Olympus E-M1 Firmware Update V3.0 via Digital Camera Updater
Link to the instructions document: http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/omd/correction_em1_e.pdf

Last edited:

Godfrey

I doubt the C-AF changes will do much for me, but the ability to stream video to the iPad or iPhone when shooting might prove useful. I'll try the update process from OV3 this evening.

G

k-hawinkler

I doubt the C-AF changes will do much for me, but the ability to stream video to the iPad or iPhone when shooting might prove useful. I'll try the update process from OV3 this evening.

G

Well, if you started taking pictures of hummingbirds it might. :D