The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon G on m4/3?

W

wslam

Am I right to assume that there is no adapter to allow aperture control of Nikon G lenses on m4/3 mount?

I have a 16-9.net Lever-Operated Nikon G > Canon EF Adapter on order. As far as I know, this is the only adapter that allows aperture control of Nikon G lenses on other camera mounts.

Most of my Nikkors are G... it would be SO nice if I could make use of the G lenses on the m4/3 with Aperture Control. Anyone has a solution?

ws

mawz

A lever adaptor is quite doable but has not been produced. I doubt that there will be much of a call for one as I can only think of 1 G lens that would be worth mounting on a G1 (the 50mm f1.4G). The others are simply too large or frankly uninteresting in range.

A lever adaptor is quite doable but has not been produced. I doubt that there will be much of a call for one as I can only think of 1 G lens that would be worth mounting on a G1 (the 50mm f1.4G). The others are simply too large or frankly uninteresting in range.
Not only, but you can buy a MF 50mm/1.4 for peanut money, probably less than the cost of an adapter

M

marknorton

I use a small piece of plastic inserted into the aperture lever slot to wedge open my 200-400 + TC-17 EII, then a Nikon to Leica M and Leica M to mFT adapters. Gives me the equivalent of 680 - 1360mm f6.3...

woodyspedden

Actually an adapter for G lenses to be used on EOS mounts was developed and worked really well. I forget the guys name who developed it but he is a reviewer and I believe he has a site called 16:9 or something like that. You should go to the Fred Miranda site and search for G to EOS Adapters. My guess he is still producing them since the lens of his choice which drove him to develop the adapter was the Nikon G 14-24. Canon did not have, and still do not have an equivalent lens so there was tremendous interest in this combination.

Good hunting

Woody

mawz

Actually an adapter for G lenses to be used on EOS mounts was developed and worked really well. I forget the guys name who developed it but he is a reviewer and I believe he has a site called 16:9 or something like that. You should go to the Fred Miranda site and search for G to EOS Adapters. My guess he is still producing them since the lens of his choice which drove him to develop the adapter was the Nikon G 14-24. Canon did not have, and still do not have an equivalent lens so there was tremendous interest in this combination.

Good hunting

Woody

Yes, that is true, but I was referring to a m43 lever adaptor, which is what the OP was asking for, not the hubsand G-EOS adaptor which was developed specifically for the 14-24G in order to use it on high-MP Canon FF bodies. The 14-24 isn't of much interest on m43 (If I want huge, fast and sharp for that range on m43 I'll buy the similarly priced ZD 14-35 f2)

W

wslam

Yes I actually have ordered the Nikon G to Canon EF levered adapter. Still waiting. The lead time is significant...

Don't forget, some of the DX Nikon G lenses could be quite fun on the G1!

V

Vivek

A stop down (manual) lever adapter is easy to make for the G lenses. When I find time, I will post more on that.

W

wslam

Really? It seems like Mark from 16-9 is the only one with a 'commercially' available adaptor for G lenses at the moment... and only for EF mount.

V

Vivek

Yes, it is easy. But, understand that I would only give hints for a DIY gizmo and it is up to you or anyone else to pick up on that and get it made.

If you are looking for an adapter purchase, then you will have to contact 6:9 or someone who sells them.:)

mawz

Yes I actually have ordered the Nikon G to Canon EF levered adapter. Still waiting. The lead time is significant...

Don't forget, some of the DX Nikon G lenses could be quite fun on the G1!
Maybe the 12-24, but it's a monster (size and price-wise) or the 10.5 Fisheye (Which is rather pricey as well). But overall I see essentially nothing of interest in the DX line to a G1 shooter (And I own one of the best DX lenses, the 16-85VR).

mawz

Really? It seems like Mark from 16-9 is the only one with a 'commercially' available adaptor for G lenses at the moment... and only for EF mount.
4/3rds (or M43) would be far easier to do than EF for a lever adaptor, much more space to play with. But there's also a lot less interest in Nikon G lenses as the really interesting ones are, for the most part, poor focal length choices for 4/3rds.

I could see some serious interest in adapting some of the long G lenses to 4/3rds (but not so much to m43). The 200/2, 400/2.8, 500/4 and 600/4 are all unmatched in the 4/3rds lineup, better than the aperture-equipped versions from nikon and hard to find in other adaptable versions (Since only the Nikon and Canon versions are at all easy to find and the EF versions are unadaptable)