The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Soon High Res Shooting without tripod

raist3d

So do we agree: the silent shutter is its main attraction ?
I would say (now more so that I have it and used it for two days- will post some impressions soon)- the silent shutter + improved IBIS + overall set of refinements- this means slightly better interface, better build, better LCD, better EVF, super quiet regular shutter... it's like, take the OMD EM5 and refine several areas of it. The whole thing adds up to a more attractive package.

So Silent shutter + IBIS + group of refinements I would say are the stand outs. 40 MP resolution shots are gravy. If yo are a product photographer than the 40 MP resolution may be a key aspect.

- Ricardo

raist3d

You must be quoting information from another source than the interview in DPReview. Where can I read about possible patents and 10-shot schemes?

scott
I didn't say the patent deal was from an interview- someone else, somewhere else mentioned this. I can't recall at the moment where I read on 10 shot but I believe that yes, it was Olympus that commented on it. If I remember I'll post the links.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Mmm, well perhaps - but one stop won't save you from grabbing for your ND filter on a bright day, me thinks.
It's not one stop but two (1/16,000 for the electronic shutter). This is the speed I can use to shoot wide open in many situations on the Nikon 1 J4 with the 32mm F1.2, so I can certainly see how it would work with the OMD EM5 MKII. Of course, if you have one of those 0.95 Voitlangers you still need the ND filter :)

Last Sunday even the Z40-150 at f/2.8 and 1/8000 dropped the ISO value as low as 100.
But fair enough - let's rephrase my statement: the attraction is for its silent and fast shutter ... :)

Kind regards.
Also keep in mind the scenario of shooting a concert. I have been in that situation now 6 times in the last 3 years, where complete silence is not optional but required. Yes, I am talking about quiet. Have a shutter and get kicked out kinda situation :) Real world. Some classical music student recitals, 2 chorus concerts, one Cello quartet group.

That all said, not everyone is in those situations and needs one. That's understandable. But there's a set of people who do.

- Ricardo

k-hawinkler

I would say (now more so that I have it and used it for two days- will post some impressions soon)- the silent shutter + improved IBIS + overall set of refinements- this means slightly better interface, better build, better LCD, better EVF, super quiet regular shutter... it's like, take the OMD EM5 and refine several areas of it. The whole thing adds up to a more attractive package.

So Silent shutter + IBIS + group of refinements I would say are the stand outs. 40 MP resolution shots are gravy. If yo are a product photographer than the 40 MP resolution may be a key aspect.

- Ricardo

Having used my E-M5 II now for two days you seem to describe very accurately my experiences as well. Thank you. Most importantly I find this camera a joy to use.