Site Sponsors

Thread: G1 Price increase

Post Thanks / Like

G1 Price increase

4 weeks ago you found plenty of G1s on ebay at prices around $500-530. Now there are only a few and the price has soared by 40%. Anyone knows why?
    Peter Werner
    Leica M8, R9+DMR & Digilux 2; Nikon D700; Panasonic FX01, FX150 & G1; Samsung TL350 (WB 2000)

marknorton

Re: G1 Price increase

Almost certainly the exchange rate against the JPY. The Euro was worth 170 Yen in August, now 116; the GBP has declined from 215 to 129 and the USD from 110 to 89, not as bad as the other two but down nonetheless.

All that means Japanese products are getting more expensive...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I paid Euro 699 for my kit. Now, it is 499. Price increase? Where?

I will wait for the next m4/3 camera to drop in price by 20~30% after the launch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I paid USD 520 (EUR 400) on January 8 at Prodigital in Canada http://stores.ebay.com/Prodigital200...QQftidZ2QQtZkm and they advertised some 20 per week in all colors. Their current price is USD 599 (EUR 460) and they have only 5 blue ones in stock. Other ebay sellers have prices of USD 700 or more. Perhaps in the EU it is not convenient to import from Canada/USA but in Switzerland we pay only 7.6% VAT, so the total cost including transportation was EUR 445
    Peter Werner
    Leica M8, R9+DMR & Digilux 2; Nikon D700; Panasonic FX01, FX150 & G1; Samsung TL350 (WB 2000)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will wait for the next m4/3 camera to drop in price by 20~30% after the launch.
    Vivek, I take it you paid that much for the double lens kit? I saved myself a little by skipping the lumix 45-200mm

Also, don't tell me you're surprised by the cost of riding the bleeding edge

And think of all the value you've gained with your legacy lens collection... your Pen F lenses have appreciated more than the 20~30% you lost on your G1

Stop whining and enjoy your classic camera!

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Since the LUMIX G1 is on the market here in Germany , it is 699 for the basic kit . Price has not changed since December last year .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post

And think of all the value you've gained with your legacy lens collection... your Pen F lenses have appreciated more than the 20~30% you lost on your G1
    How so? Do you want to buy my Zuiko Macro for 600 Euros +the 20 to 30% appreciation you claim?

Stop whining and enjoy your classic camera!
    Are a you Panasonic distributor/agent/rep?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Since the LUMIX G1 is on the market here in Germany , it is 699 for the basic kit . Price has not changed since December last year .
    Prices in Europe are usually much higher than in North America. I have bought my R8,R9,DMR,Digilux 2,M8,FX01,G1 there at a cost that was about 30-40% lower than in Europe, including shipping and import.

Leica gear was not only cheaper but I got items much before they were available in Switzerland: I was amongst the first to get a DMR (July 2005) and an M8 (October 2006) while here there were waiting lists of 3 months or more. There was no problem with warranty either, Leica warranty is world-wide and upon showing a copy of the US invoice Leica honoured the warranty.

Panasonic US warranty is America only but I took the risk and touch wood never had any defective item.

I do not know why European prices are so much higher. Lack of competition? Different legislation as to the obligation of dealers to adhere to list prices? The higher European VAT cannot explain it all.
    Peter Werner

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Henry's in Canada is selling the G1 package for $599.00, new in box. I bought one yesterday having had good luck with Henry's in the past.

Check out their listings on EBay

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How so? Do you want to buy my Zuiko Macro for 600 Euros +the 20 to 30% appreciation you claim?
    I was thinking that your Pen-F lens collection, 2nd hand would be worth less before it was possible to mount it to a digicam... you've been waxing lyrical about them so I'm guessing the e-bay value may go upwards by at least 30%

Are you trying to push up the 2nd hand value of your Pen-F stock?

Are a you Panasonic distributor/agent/rep?
    No, I just find whining quite irritating

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was thinking that your Pen-F lens collection, 2nd hand would be worth less before it was possible to mount it to a digicam... you've been waxing lyrical about them so I'm guessing the e-bay value may go upwards by at least 30%

No, I just find whining quite irritating

Kind Regards

Brian

I have many choice words for you. But ain't worth the bother. I disclosed about my pen F finding for others who may find it useful (if that applies to you, great). I do not need any words of "encouragement" from you to enjoy my gear.
    Last edited by Bob; 5th February 2009 at 10:05.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay let's move forward. Thanks
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Are that many people actually acquiring lenses to adapt to a G1? If so, this certainly could drive the price of some lenses upward, but I'm of the impression that most G1 owners are adapting lenses they already own (which is certainly the case for me). If this is the case, then it would seem the existence of the G1 should have very little effect on their current market prices ... yes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With the current economy, dealer specials, distressed retailers, gyrating exchange rates, and unpredictable demand, I am not surprised to see a variety of prices in the market.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    If this is the case, then it would seem the existence of the G1 should have very little effect on their current market prices ... yes?
    You have it right, Audii-Dudii.

And most of these owners/users do not need digital to validate the continued ownership of their gear.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    Are that many people actually acquiring lenses to adapt to a G1? If so, this certainly could drive the price of some lenses upward, but I'm of the impression that most G1 owners are adapting lenses they already own (which is certainly the case for me). If this is the case, then it would seem the existence of the G1 should have very little effect on their current market prices ... yes?
    Yes - I am. I am a collector and an amateur shooter. I have many Russian LSM lenses, a few CV LSM and M mounts, and I bought an RD-1 to get digital images from these lenses. But, the G1 gives me more than the RD-1 - I like the manual focusing better, I can use zooms, there will be many new lenses for it in the future.

So, I have ordered a Pen FT (always liked it) with the standard lens, and an extra Pen telephoto. Plus, I have bought a c-mount lens (Wallensak 1in) to try that. Since I bought the G1, I am not using my Pentax K-10, Ricoh GX-200, Ricoh GRD-2 or Canon G-10. I have a passion for small powerful and flexible cameras and the G1 fits the bill. Thank you to everyone here for sharing the results of their experiments - you people are very smart and ahead of the curve!

A word on the criticism of the mini SLR shape of the G1. I can't figure out how Panasonic engineers could have done it differently, if you want the fold our LCD and the EVF - which I do.

I think the G1 represents a sea-change, paradigm shift, call it what you will. I'm hooked.

Keith
    Last edited by woodmancy; 5th February 2009 at 12:09.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Keith,

would you mind sharing how much you found the Pen F kit for? I think it would be better to check off-line sources, since e-bay seems to be overpriced for some reason at the moment

Kind Regards

Brian

p.s. Vivek, I apologise for being insensitive towards you further up the thread... this is a nice forum, and I'd hate to alter that.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like I said many times words on the internet sometimes have different meanings when in doubt PM each other and make sure you both are on the same page. Yes we did edit here and sometimes we have no choice. A post was reported and our Mods handled as they should. End of story
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=Brian Mosley;73904]Hi Keith,

would you mind sharing how much you found the Pen F kit for? I think it would be better to check off-line sources, since e-bay seems to be overpriced for some reason at the moment :

Hi Brian:

I paid $299US for a 9++ (haven't got it yet though). Looked like Adorama prices were around $350.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Keith, Guy...

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Pen F prices are all over the place, there are some real bargains on the bay, and then some not so good. KEH had great deals but most of their stock is gone now.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

p.s. Vivek, I apologise for being insensitive towards you further up the thread... this is a nice forum, and I'd hate to alter that.

I accept your apology. All of your insinuations were patently false and a total mis-characterization of my involvement with this site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wink Re: G1 Price increase

I accept your apology. All of your insinuations were patently false and a total mis-characterization of my involvement with this site.
    As were yours... and I can live without your apology.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I could get you guys in the same town as me, I would buy you both a drink.
    A Hendricks anyone? or name your poison, it's on me.
    -bob
    Last edited by Bob; 5th February 2009 at 13:11.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob, it's a major reason I founded the Safari Group, to overcome the stupid ego-driven squabbles which arrise on the forums. I'm just as guilty as anyone! It makes all the difference when you can get out together.

Cheers

Brian

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    If I could get you guys in the same town as me, I would buy you both a drink.
    A Hendricks anyone? or name your poison, it on me.
    -bob
    I second that - in fact, if you are all in Toronto one day - I'll buy the drinks.

A forum thrives on it's trail-blazers, and we have many good ones here. I've donated much to the used camera industry since joining the forum. That's a help towards the "stimulus."

I know that I'm onto something good if I want to tune into this discussion before I eat my morning cornflakes!

Keith

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As were yours... and I can live without your apology.

Kind Regards

Brian

I would if I can find something that I posted and could be pointed to be wrong.

I am driven by photography and am a classic head if that makes me egoistic, so be it.

Bob, Apologies for mistaking your Hefner robe for a shirt/jacket!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob, Apologies for mistaking your Hefner robe for a shirt/jacket!.
    Vivek
    It is my bathrobe and just clowning around with my wife and daughter-in-law for some Christmas pictures.
    gosh, I am a ham
    As Terry suggested, it far closer to Gilligan's Island than the Playboy Mansion.
    -bob