The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The China-made Leica M -> m4/3 Adapter

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Re: good news and bad

(...) Bad news is doesn't reach infinity focus. (...)
What now? I'll contact the shipper, we'll see.....
Hi James, it would be very interesting to know what Jinfinance (Rong Jin) answered you ... ?

jklotz

Hi James, it would be very interesting to know what Jinfinance (Rong Jin) answered you ... ?
He emailed me back. He said

"there has been some similar reports about this... so we've already looked into this... seems most likely it's a simple mis-calculation."

He is going to send me another one from the 2nd batch, with the problem corrected. He did not want me to return the original. Seems like a stand up guy to me, we'll see.

In the mean time, I may try the sanding trick mentioned earlier in this thread, knowing that if my mechanically dis-inclined hands muck it up, there's another one on the way....

GDI

He emailed me back. He said

"there has been some similar reports about this... so we've already looked into this... seems most likely it's a simple mis-calculation."

He is going to send me another one from the 2nd batch, with the problem corrected. He did not want me to return the original. Seems like a stand up guy to me, we'll see.

In the mean time, I may try the sanding trick mentioned earlier in this thread, knowing that if my mechanically dis-inclined hands muck it up, there's another one on the way....

My Cameraquest adapter arrived and I have received a refund from jinfinance, so all is well - he is a good seller.

Charles2

My adapter was too thick and would not reach infinity.

Rather than sending it back and waiting to see if jinfinance can sort this out with his OEM, I did the following:...
Great instructions! Sadly, when I took the metal flange off a Praktica bayonet mount -> m/43 adapter, I discovered the flange is held by both a lip and an inner floor.

Don't know how to sand that.

photoSmart42

Don't know how to sand that.
You don't. You sand the piece you took off. You can either sand it off the bottom so the top surface sinks a bit more into the groove you uncovered, or you sand the top surface where the lens mounts - whichever's flattest. I'm not sure of on that adapter the mount piece rests on the outer lip of the adapter well or not. If it does, you'll need to grind the top surface because the bottom won't do anything.

Do it very slowly and on a very flat surface with a fine-grain sanding paper sheet, and measure often to see when you've achieved your infinity goal. For the adapters I've had to sand down it wasn't much. Proceed at your own risk.

Charles2

You don't. You sand the piece you took off. ...
Thank you for your patience. Maybe some day I will learn to read. The original instructions, I now see, clearly said sand the flange. Guess that's why I never became President of the U.S. "Let's see, to abort the nuclear launch, press the black button ... or was it the red button?"

I'm off to buy abrasive paper.

Charles2

Sanding works!

My adapter was too thick and would not reach infinity.

Rather than sending it back and waiting to see if jinfinance can sort this out with his OEM, I did the following:
Followed Ranger 9's instructions for sanding an adapter that is too thick and therefore unable to focus to infinity. They work.

This link goes to a sample of the best focus possible on some brickwork and roof shingles before sanding:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41790885@N08/4883074902/

And after:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41790885@N08/4883074904/

The improvement is clear in these 100% crops (and more dramatic in the entire image). The comparison is not exact: my distance was perhaps 10% different, and the light was different (sunlit before, overcast after). Still, I believe the point is made. Both images were shot at f/8.

The lens is a Carl Zeiss Jena 28mm f/2.8. I do not know what its best performance should be.

The instructions stress the need to sand a bit, test, and repeat as needed. Things are at the point where I don't see further improvement after a round of sanding, but the focus ring does not yet go past infinity.

Of course, I spent a couple of hours on one adapter and might not be finished. The Chinese manufacturer cannot or will not machine the part correctly in the first place. Looking around the Web, all merchants who sell adapters for Praktica bayonet mount to m4/3 seem to have the same product.

Anyone who might ever use an adapter should copy and save Ranger 9's instructions.