Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: OMD E-M5 MKII impressions

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: OMD E-M5 MKII impressions

Just a short note:
    I'm quite happy with the Panaleicas 42,5/1.2 and 15/1.7
    But the 15 suffers from serious distortion ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Just a short note:
    I'm quite happy with the Panaleicas 42,5/1.2 and 15/1.7
    But the 15 suffers from serious distortion ...

Kind regards.
    I'll be frank and say I am not seeing a serious distortion, but very little actually. The Pentax Q 01 (as good as it is) and the Nikon 1 F1.8 18.5mm (again, as good as it is), show me more of a more notable distortion.

I went around and took a couple of shots and I have to say my first impressions were correct. This lens has blue crystals from the Europa moon and do give that extra something I wanted to see. Let me see if I can post a shot and a crop.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Update: nm, I see the distortion now. Looks like Iridient corrects from the m4/3rds profile while Capture One shows it by default in all its glory :-) Not as bad as I have seen in some places but I see your point :-)

- Ricardo
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So here's a snap and a 100% crop. This is ISO 640 and at F1.7 (that's max aperture). I find the tonality and contrast pretty darn good.

Look a the window blinds... each line... And the curtains in the light, etc.

Used Iridient Digital for these.

- Ricardo
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A little blurry. Had to freeze them more and needed to have shot in C-AF the way I did this shot.

- Ricardo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    Update: nm, I see the distortion now. Looks like Iridient corrects from the m4/3rds profile while Capture One shows it by default in all its glory :-) Not as bad as I have seen in some places but I see your point :-)

- Ricardo
    It's a fine lens that should do really well on the streets and is also great for interesting close-ups.
    But you have to accept its shortcoming(s) ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

It's a fine lens that should do really well on the streets and is also great for interesting close-ups.
    But you have to accept its shortcoming(s) ...

Kind regards.
    Well, I'll be frank and say the ultra wide is not my preferred street focal length. But what I recently discovered (using the Nikon 1 no less), is that there are some distinct situations I have sort of identified where I think I would want something more like this.

So I was thinking about this lenses, and the Panny Leicas... then I realized something:

Panny Leica 25mm F1.4 is almost the size of the Fuji XF35 F1.4

Panny Leica Nocticron F1.2 is *bigger* than the Fuji XF56 F1.2

GRRRRR. If that's the case, what gives? Why go for the Olympus then if size with good quality lenses is not on its side when I consider more favorite focal lengths.... At least the 75mm is smaller than the F2.0 XF90 and while I do like that focal length, the other two are more key to me (but I still like the option).

That would leave response time and IBIS. Response time of Fuji has improved and from what I keep reading on the new AF system, there's a new jump in responsiveness here. I would definitively like to see for myself but looks like the difference wouldn't amount to much weight in this choice. The IBIS while very nice, and I will miss it, I don't think would trump the usability and the superb color/IQ of the Fuji.

Maybe some situations with IBIS cancel each other. And the option to use the 25 F1.8 m/43rds lens makes the option of going smaller available even if I cringe now using that lens a bit. Plus the occasional ability to use my older 4/3rd lenses.

Blah, I'll sleep on this.

- Ricardo

PS: I compared some Fuji shots tonight on same locations with some I took with the OMD/15mm lens. Both did pretty good. Fuji had a nicer highlight rolloff, though that can be pushed to some extent on the OMD by exposing more to the right even if it makes the exposure trickier when going full manual. A cloth test subject on the Olympus had color moiré, on the Fuji it had none of that. Maybe this is part of what make the Fuji colors pop out a bit more at times - no subtle color artifacts/significantly reduced color moiré artifacts.
    Last edited by raist3d; 10th June 2015 at 03:52.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Bart- question- where have you found the 15mm Panny Leica shortcomings show up for you? I understand the distortion aspect but since the lens seems so sharp and so well in the micro contrast department, looks like even with the software correction the file holds rather well.

Are you shooting lots of architecture? Just curious.

- Ricardo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Bart- question- where have you found the 15mm Panny Leica shortcomings show up for you? I understand the distortion aspect but since the lens seems so sharp and so well in the micro contrast department, looks like even with the software correction the file holds rather well.

Are you shooting lots of architecture? Just curious.

- Ricardo
    Hi there Ricardo,

I'm so sorry for missing your post, I must have been carried away by the recent announcements: you know the new Q, A7rII ...
    Really, I should have skipped that (s), it's only its distortion that haunts me.
    It's otherwise a perfect little performer.
    But I still have to take it to streets one day ...
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

W
    GRRRRR. If that's the case, what gives? Why go for the Olympus then if size with good quality lenses is not on its side when I consider more favorite focal lengths.... At least the 75mm is smaller than the F2.0 XF90 and while I do like that focal length, the other two are more key to me (but I still like the option).

That would leave response time and IBIS. Response time of Fuji has improved and from what I keep reading on the new AF system, there's a new jump in responsiveness here. I would definitively like to see for myself but looks like the difference wouldn't amount to much weight in this choice. The IBIS while very nice, and I will miss it, I don't think would trump the usability and the superb color/IQ of the Fuji.

Maybe some situations with IBIS cancel each other. And the option to use the 25 F1.8 m/43rds lens makes the option of going smaller available even if I cringe now using that lens a bit. Plus the occasional ability to use my older 4/3rd lenses.

Blah, I'll sleep on this.

- Ricardo

PS: I compared some Fuji shots tonight on same locations with some I took with the OMD/15mm lens. Both did pretty good. Fuji had a nicer highlight rolloff, though that can be pushed to some extent on the OMD by exposing more to the right even if it makes the exposure trickier when going full manual. A cloth test subject on the Olympus had color moiré, on the Fuji it had none of that. Maybe this is part of what make the Fuji colors pop out a bit more at times - no subtle color artifacts/significantly reduced color moiré artifacts.
    Never been bothered with that size/weight conundrum.
    And if you want to go compact a mobile phone is hard to beat
    But hey - I'm getting older too, so a bit of weight reduction won't harm me I suppose.
    Your comments about Fuji's IQ makes me more and more eyeing that X-T10 ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ricardo, just to let you know - we're getting seriously off-topic here ...
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, but all this lenses and size comparisons is part of my impressions of the OMD :-) At least as it stands in the market. I will follow up with you on PM with other questions as/if I have them. Thanks for the reply and the note.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Are any of you that are using the Olympus left-eyed? I am, and am concerned that if it is configured for rear button focus, that there would be confluence of controls, my thumb and my nose. No one in my community sells them, and so it's not possible to pick it up and see if it fits.

Thanks, in advance,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by quadtones View Post
    Are any of you that are using the Olympus left-eyed? I am, and am concerned that if it is configured for rear button focus, that there would be confluence of controls, my thumb and my nose. No one in my community sells them, and so it's not possible to pick it up and see if it fits.

Thanks, in advance,
    I'm left eyed too. No interference problem with the back button on the E-M5II. However, I find the lever allowing you to switch between the two controls allowed by that button too high with respect to the button itself. So I ended up putting the AF lock on the Fn2 button at the same spot where I had it on the E-P5 and E-M5 before. It isn't due to the positioning of the button near of the VF, but to the height of the lever with respect to the button itself. The lever is more accessible and easier to operate than the button. A little stupid IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Annna, that's quite helpful, not only about the ergonomics, but the setup, as well.
    Norm

www.normsnyderphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

So... I am past the date to return the Panny/Leica 15mm which means I am most likely keeping my OMD and getting that Panny-Leica F1.4. Since this little lens and more use of the 4/3rd lenses I have, I see a lot of the iq I felt was missing.

There's also something weird about all these 4/3rd lenses... it's like they never focused well on the 4/3rd original cameras I used but now with accurate manual focusing they are like pretty darn sharp and nice.

So, I still love what Fuji is doing, and I think the X-T10 will be a hit. Love the 14-bit color and its JPEG engine but overall I was thinking ironically how useful the IBIS not just for what IBIS is for, but for making composing through the view finder or even LCD more pleasant.

So to summarize-

From Fuji I will miss:
    - better quality lenses in entire lineup
    - gorgeous stunning color
    - less color moire
    - better DR/less exposure pickiness to avoid burns
    - streamlined more photographer oriented interface/usability
    - more sharp
    - better DOF at most apertures that are equivalent between equivalent lenses
    - non tilt articulated LCD (faster/more discrete for street photography).

From Olympus OMD I welcome
    - IBIS - for image stabilization to lower the ISO at night
    - IBIS - for easier composing (no jumping image while composing but a certain "calm")
    - Still smaller overall system than the Fuji as an option (even if that means using prime lenses I am not completely satisfied with, but I do value small).
    - Overall slightly faster camera response
    - realtime highlight/shadow for exposing in a-priority with exposure compensation is really accurate/good.

Bonus (these added up together have more weight)
    - can use my Olympus 4/3rds lenses
    - manual focus with focus peaking + IBIS of these lenses is a joy
    - can use my 4/3rd flashes (rare use on my part but can be interesting when used; can use for events/weddings)
    - 40 mp mode (mainly for product stuff or static urban/street photography)
    - weather sealed

I had to think for the kind of photography I do and want to do, it seems some aspects are a better match on the Olympus.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Ricardo–Thanks for this summary. I am also thinking that for some of the club photography I do that the shorter focal lengths of the micro 43 lenses combined with large f stops would serve will. I had used an 85mm f1.2 Canon and for shots of musicians there just wasn't enough depth of field to be usable wide open. Something like the Nocticron would still have the light gathering capability, while giving me a little more depth of field than the 85 Canon.

Plus...I can see the 40 Mp mode being useful for "camera scanning" some old negatives.

Guess this thread has cost me some $$$.

Post Thanks / Like

Ricardo,

excellent decision to keep the Oly. You will not regret!

I actually felt much more free as soon as I got rid of my Fuji system and just kept the Oly. The fuji was just too big and while the lenses were sharp I never liked their haptic, feeling etc.

Enjoy

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, for our trip to China I took the Leica Q and my M cameras . . . job to do . . . Emma took her new E-M10 and loved it.

Today I went out with the E-M5ii again, and shot with the Leica 50 APO and the 90 macro elmarit - what fun - and what results too (here are a couple)

Incidentally, has anyone found a quicker way to change the focal length for IBIS than Settings cog C / image stabiliser?

Rose and bug with the 50 APO

Rose with the 90

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Well, for our trip to China I took the Leica Q and my M cameras . . . job to do . . . Emma took her new E-M10 and loved it.

Today I went out with the E-M5ii again, and shot with the Leica 50 APO and the 90 macro elmarit - what fun - and what results too (here are a couple)

Incidentally, has anyone found a quicker way to change the focal length for IBIS than Settings cog C / image stabiliser?
    Here is what I use : OK center button to bring up the SCP, then navigate to the stabilization icon, pick the mode you want if that needs to be changed (off, IS1, etc.) using the right left arrows, then click on the info button and you should be able to change the focal length using the up-down arrows.

Disclaimer : this is from memory and from using the E-M5 mk1. I don't have any legacy lenses here to test whether that does really work for the E-M5II. But I think it should.

Nice roses by the way.. I'm always wondering how people are doing to present flowless flowers closeups and well framed at that. When I try to take one myself, there are always some visible defects, due to wheather, insects having eated their lunch, or whatever.. and if find it very difficult to have a nice background plus a nice framing.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Here is what I use : OK center button to bring up the SCP, then navigate to the stabilization icon, pick the mode you want if that needs to be changed (off, IS1, etc.) using the right left arrows, then click on the info button and you should be able to change the focal length using the up-down arrows.
    Thank you - I'm an idiot - I'd looked and looked on the SCP and not seen it - it's bottom left and works fine.

As for the roses . . dark background and not being afraid to clone out distractions seems to be it (pity Lightroom is so crap at cloning and you have to go into PS, but there you go!). Bart is the master here.

Best
    Jono

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

From a rooftop in Somerville (just uphill from Cambridge MA):

P6240351 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr (click thru to the 64 MPx original -- sharpened and reduced x2)

L6002985 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr (using the new Leica SX28 on M240)

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Thank you - I'm an idiot - I'd looked and looked on the SCP and not seen it - it's bottom left and works fine. ...
    LOL! It gets tricky when you go from camera to camera, always looking at different menus and panels. I remember picking up a Pentax K10D after not using it for four months and not being able to remember how to set the ISO anymore.

Score another plus for cutting down the camera collection.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Ptomsu- I have to say I still really like what Fuji is doing. I still think they got a nice image aspect to it that is very to my taste.
    Hey Jono- that first flower with the insect- that's some real nice tones you got there.
    Godfrey- I second that. Part of why I have been looking ideally for one system instead of many.

We really are living in the era of all cameras are good in one way or another. I still like fuji but I think I am finally making my peace with the OMD. Got the Panny-Leica F1.4/25mm m/43rds finally and glad to see it's a good lens + see what I wanted to see.

I guess other than the Oly 75mm prime, we will have to wait for one of those "super prime" patents to become real and have another true 4/3rds quality style prime lens from Olympus (note: a little bird did indeed tell me apparently at least one of those super primes will happen, but next year).

In the meantime, looks like all the Panny-Leica primes are really good.

Anyway, this shot reminds me a bit of a religious painting. 15m pancake:

- Ricardo
    Last edited by raist3d; 26th June 2015 at 03:09.

Post Thanks / Like

Today I used the OMD EM5 MKii to cover a major street event- Pride Parade in SF. I have some thoughts on the matter, particularly going out with 3 primes (15mm, 25mm, 75mm focal lengths - the first two Panny-Leica's and the last the Olympus 75mm).

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

I usually like when people don't pose, but every now and then people notice and in this case, she posed and held the pose until I took my darn sweet time to walk past the lamp post from the left to the right and boom. I nodded and she winked and changed her stance.

Really love these camera-subject-photographer interactions when they happen. We don't need to speak any spoken language at all yet we connected.

Will comment later on how this relates to my experience with the OMD EM5 MKII today as a tool.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi !

Not sure why, but I'm not seeing any pictures since Jono's flowers macro. Not even a question mark in a square. This concerns Kirkpatrick and Raist. Whose text clearly indicates that I should be able to see pictures.. Not sure whether it is a trick of my webbrowser (Firefox on a PC) or whether it is the new updates of the forum software.

Post Thanks / Like

I would try to check for FireFox updates, then clearing the cache.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also, try viewing the site with another Web browser... and look to reset your Firefox browser to defaults.

Kind regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks both.. I don't think it has anything to do with the updates (I do them regularly) or the cache. I'm seeing them now and didn't do anything. Plus I'm also having that problem on the iPad where I'm using Safari. I think it has something to do with Flickr : on the previous version of the forum software, I had quite often a white spot with an onliner Flickr advise indicating that the picture wasn't available "at the moment".

Post Thanks / Like

Well, this is not posted on flickr but it's posted on typepad. Maybe type pad was down? I wonder.

Update: that doesn't seem to make much sense. I remember I could see my links on other places like my phone.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

One of my attempts at zone focusing using the 15mm. I set an aperture like F5.6/F6.3, focus to an object getting a feel for the distance and then put the camera on manual focus. It made me appreciate more the lenses that have the focus ring lock (Olympus 17mm F1.8 which I don't have but probably won't buy anyway), Ricoh GR snap focus, Fuji sense with focus ring and cameras that let you know in manual focus how far they are focusing.

Speaking of that, I don't understand why Olympus doesn't have such distance focus scale.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Posting this shot under the impressions thread because it's a shot I took some time ago, and shows one interesting use for the IBIS.

The exposure is 1 second and was shot hand held.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Just when I think I have a good decision on Fuji X-T10 vs OMD EM5 MKII I get something out of the OMD I like quite a bit (gratuitous self portrait).

Converted with Iridient Digital (latest at time of writing).
    Like how the color came out.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

So after some more serious play with the OMD, I think I finally figure out a way that it puts the DR of the sensor to better use on an average case at night. ARGH that took forever. Part of the puzzle is something I saw myself experimenting with but that dpreview to my surprise put in concrete terms- which is shooting at a lower ISO then pushing back, and the camera may still show good detail in shadow but good recovery in highlights.

Turns out the OMD EM5 MKII (and I bet EM1 and EM5) have a nice shadow range but can clip highlights with the standard matrix metering a bit easy.

And so far the cure I have found- Go to:

Wrench Menu-> Utility-> Exposure shift-> Set Matrix Metering (Olympus 'ESP" metering) to -1.

From then on if you develop a raw in-camera, develop with +1 EV back and in other raw converters same thing. You should now have a nice range of highlights to work with while the shadows are surprisingly good.

To think of this another way- the shadow areas you develop back up at the time of shooting, if you shot at ISO 800 with the exposure shifted -1 ev, that would be an ISO 1600 equivalent when developing back up. And we know the OMD does reasonably well at ISO 1600 so those areas that are shifted up that way, within reasonable ISO's should present no concerns.

Here's a scene I was having a hard time getting "in range" of the camera with the normal metering, after the final development and the same scene with EV -4 to show all the highlights detail. Shown using Capture One 8.3.2

Max extreme highlight recovery (ev -4).

Below a bottle in a bar, in very low red-led light, at ISO 1600 (pushed back to 3200) and the last one an ISO 10,0000 (!) pushed up back to ISO 20,000 (!!).

What this buys you is a relatively care free metered scene with a nice highlight range. Highlight range I was frustrated I wasn't getting.

Of course doing an exposure to the right using "blinkies" works best but for fleeting scenes, this is pretty good.

- Ricardo
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting stuff, Ricardo.
    I have set ESP to -3/6 and C-W to +2/6, perhaps a little conservative.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4/3 vs M4/3 at 64 MPx

My favorite lens in the good old days of the 5 MPx E-1 was the 11-22 f/2.8-3.5 (well, the 50 macro was also lovely, but there are even nicer current alternatives). I re-bought an 11-22 once the E-M1 came out and offered phase-detect autofocusing. Subsequent GAS attacks have brought an E-M5.2 and the 12-40 pro zoom into the stable, so it is hard not to wonder how they compare. I went pixel-harvesting in an overgrown part of the garden with both lenses on the e-M5.2 yesterday. Set at 14 mm and f/4, autofocused at the same point in a wall of foliage that ranged from 2 to 3 meters distance, back light at the top of the image, processed identically in COne 8.3 with strong sharpening, here is the 11-22 version:

P9061128 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

The older lens has no trouble delivering its 64M pixels, is sharp across the frame without any funny stuff at the edges, and handles the flare at the top just a bit better than the new pro lens, although both have some problems there. Autofocus with the older lens on the m5.2 does take a while. You can see the same scene taken with the 12-40 Pro lens at 14 mm at this link.

Here's another feast of foliage, this time at 22 mm:

P9061137 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

scott
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4/3 vs M4/3 at 64 MPx

Scott, I am going to be frank and say my experience with the older 4/3rd lenses is that they are clearly better than the m4/3rds one. I get the impression the "pro" new zooms are pretty good, but even then they are not a match for the older SHG (though they are vastly smaller).

I can't deny I am frustrated. Every single of the Olympus m/43rds primes I have tried (25mm F1.8 and now the 45mm F1.8) are sub-par to the 4/3rd lens Olympus experience. The only lens I see sort of a match is the 75mm F1.8.

4/3rd lenses were amazingly resilient to purple fringing/CA's. Not so with m4/3rds. I understand Olympus will come out with "Super fast primes" next year, and part of my romulan intelligence network tells me they are coming. They better be Pro line and darn good. Really.

It's amazing the OMD EM5 MKII is being *held back* by the smaller standard primes. To their credit though they are small, and if the light is soft they respond good.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting stuff, Ricardo.
    I have set ESP to -3/6 and C-W to +2/6, perhaps a little conservative.

Kind regards.
    I think -0.5EV for ESP is not bad. It's better than the default and should get a bit better shadow than what I am doing. I am still finding for the shots at night what I am doing seems to work a bit better for me but that's at night.

Finally lenses that are wide angle I think benefit more from the negative shift than zooms, as normally you would have a chance of a higher contrast scene/elements with a wider field of view.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

So more playing with the F1.8 45mm lens.... It's a fantastically sharp lens at F4.0. F3.5 is still pretty darn sharp. F2.8 is where it starts to get sharper/interesting. F1.8 is disappointing, but you can for web work sharpen the work so it looks good.

Again, not the typical Olympus 4/3rds performance of old. Olympus, please come out with those super primes already. This is tilting the scale towards Fuji. Fuji XF35 is sharp @ F1.4.

And it's not just about sharp but when I say sharp I don't mean high quality tones/not so sharp. I mean not so sharp with this kinda "red-purple haze" of meh.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so going over some shots today.

45mm F1.8 prime is a Jekyll and Hyde lens. Wide open is meh but at F3.5/F4.0 it is *amazing*.

Tried to see how the 25mm F1.8 would fare carefully looking at its F4.0 output and it also is pretty amazing (though perhaps the 45mm is a hair more).

Allright, I need to think about this trade off. Fuji's are amazing wide open from the get go but I still value size quite a bit, and since the Olympus has the 75mm in its arsenal- one of my favorite focals... maybe I can reconcile this somehow.

Oh one thing- saw color moire in several shots with the 45mm @ F4.0- a problem I definitively don't have with the Fuji. And some still think that the Xtrans doesn't help and Fuji went through all that trouble for nothing...

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Bayer moire (EM5 MKII), Fuji x-t10 comparison

Shot a quick test with the OMD EM5 MKII and the Fuji X-T10. Equivalent apertures/DOF. The Olympus with the Oly 25mm F1.8 m4/3rds, the Fuji with the XF 35.

I was closer FOV wise with the Fuji, and this can affect at times moire, but I am certainly getting more color moire artifacts with the Olympus for sure. Yesterday I took a few shots and a guy had a shirt that gave a headache to the Olympus.

I have seen Fuji Xtrans color mire but it's more rare. It also seems to dance between blue and yellow rather than green / magenta.

Take a guess which crop belongs to which camera. Both converted with Iridient digital (3.0.4 latest), defaults but taking out any noise reduction and color moire default reduction.

Interestingly, there are 1-2 very localized areas with Xtrans artifacts you don't see in the Olympus but they are very localized.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Color moire shirt

The thing about color moire is that I don't think you need it "Full blown obvious" (like here) to affect color. Maybe that's why Fuji color from Xtrans looks also so great? (a small part of it).

This 100% crop shot with the Olympus 45mm F1.8 @ F4.0. At that aperture this lens is crazy sharp. Probably why the moire showed up so bad.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious whether you get the same moire if you run that image through Olympus software rather than Iridient? I love the ease of use of Iridient, and all the sophisticated options and the responsiveness of the developer Brian Griffiths. But at the end of the day, I frequently go back to Olympus' own software because images just look better (on screen or print, not at pixel level). Especially for color and color attributes. Also curious if you tried LR or ACR?
    Roberto M.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pikme View Post
    I'm curious whether you get the same moire if you run that image through Olympus software rather than Iridient?
    Very good question. I was thinking about that. I think it's there but let me just try it. I would imagine it should at least be less obvious.

I love the ease of use of Iridient, and all the sophisticated options and the responsiveness of the developer Brian Griffiths. But at the end of the day, I frequently go back to Olympus' own software because images just look better (on screen or print, not at pixel level). Especially for color and color attributes. Also curious if you tried LR or ACR?
    Haven't tried LR or ACR. I stopped updating LR when LR 6 came out. I know Capture One shows this though so I am expecting other converters to do so too. Let me try the Olympus official now.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

So here's the shirt with Olympus Viewer conversion and manually selecting the max on "false color compensation." I want to mention with Iridient I could have eliminated some moire by using their anti-moire slider, but using too much changes color a bit (same with Olympus viewer but not as bad).

The metal grill shot has less color moire from the get go and a little false color compensation in Olympus viewer gets near rid of it.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for that.
    Roberto M.