The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMD E-M5 MKII impressions

raist3d

So more playing with the F1.8 45mm lens.... It's a fantastically sharp lens at F4.0. F3.5 is still pretty darn sharp. F2.8 is where it starts to get sharper/interesting. F1.8 is disappointing, but you can for web work sharpen the work so it looks good.

Again, not the typical Olympus 4/3rds performance of old. Olympus, please come out with those super primes already. This is tilting the scale towards Fuji. Fuji XF35 is sharp @ F1.4.

And it's not just about sharp but when I say sharp I don't mean high quality tones/not so sharp. I mean not so sharp with this kinda "red-purple haze" of meh.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Ok so going over some shots today.

45mm F1.8 prime is a Jekyll and Hyde lens. Wide open is meh but at F3.5/F4.0 it is *amazing*.

Tried to see how the 25mm F1.8 would fare carefully looking at its F4.0 output and it also is pretty amazing (though perhaps the 45mm is a hair more).

Allright, I need to think about this trade off. Fuji's are amazing wide open from the get go but I still value size quite a bit, and since the Olympus has the 75mm in its arsenal- one of my favorite focals... maybe I can reconcile this somehow.

Oh one thing- saw color moire in several shots with the 45mm @ F4.0- a problem I definitively don't have with the Fuji. And some still think that the Xtrans doesn't help and Fuji went through all that trouble for nothing...

- Ricardo

raist3d

Bayer moire (EM5 MKII), Fuji x-t10 comparison

Shot a quick test with the OMD EM5 MKII and the Fuji X-T10. Equivalent apertures/DOF. The Olympus with the Oly 25mm F1.8 m4/3rds, the Fuji with the XF 35.

I was closer FOV wise with the Fuji, and this can affect at times moire, but I am certainly getting more color moire artifacts with the Olympus for sure. Yesterday I took a few shots and a guy had a shirt that gave a headache to the Olympus.

I have seen Fuji Xtrans color mire but it's more rare. It also seems to dance between blue and yellow rather than green / magenta.

Take a guess which crop belongs to which camera. Both converted with Iridient digital (3.0.4 latest), defaults but taking out any noise reduction and color moire default reduction.

Interestingly, there are 1-2 very localized areas with Xtrans artifacts you don't see in the Olympus but they are very localized.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Color moire shirt

The thing about color moire is that I don't think you need it "Full blown obvious" (like here) to affect color. Maybe that's why Fuji color from Xtrans looks also so great? (a small part of it).

This 100% crop shot with the Olympus 45mm F1.8 @ F4.0. At that aperture this lens is crazy sharp. Probably why the moire showed up so bad.

- Ricardo

pikme

I'm curious whether you get the same moire if you run that image through Olympus software rather than Iridient? I love the ease of use of Iridient, and all the sophisticated options and the responsiveness of the developer Brian Griffiths. But at the end of the day, I frequently go back to Olympus' own software because images just look better (on screen or print, not at pixel level). Especially for color and color attributes. Also curious if you tried LR or ACR?

raist3d

I'm curious whether you get the same moire if you run that image through Olympus software rather than Iridient?
Very good question. I was thinking about that. I think it's there but let me just try it. I would imagine it should at least be less obvious.

I love the ease of use of Iridient, and all the sophisticated options and the responsiveness of the developer Brian Griffiths. But at the end of the day, I frequently go back to Olympus' own software because images just look better (on screen or print, not at pixel level). Especially for color and color attributes. Also curious if you tried LR or ACR?
Haven't tried LR or ACR. I stopped updating LR when LR 6 came out. I know Capture One shows this though so I am expecting other converters to do so too. Let me try the Olympus official now.

- Ricardo

raist3d

So here's the shirt with Olympus Viewer conversion and manually selecting the max on "false color compensation." I want to mention with Iridient I could have eliminated some moire by using their anti-moire slider, but using too much changes color a bit (same with Olympus viewer but not as bad).

The metal grill shot has less color moire from the get go and a little false color compensation in Olympus viewer gets near rid of it.

- Ricardo