Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OMD E-M5 MKII impressions

Post Thanks / Like

OMD E-M5 MKII impressions

Several impressions/observations follow in sections. Unlike what I did years ago of getting a camera to test in several ways for specific things with charts and files, I am just going to comment on what I find as I find it relevant to things I want to do with it for several reasons.

---------------------

first- quickie impressions as I am about to had out and try some real world scenarios

- camera is solid nice grip for as small as it is a/b level feels like it could break somwtime though

- quietest shutter of any camera with such I have seen so far this one surprised me

- camera operates pretty fast in responsiveness

- aF looks promising for the scenario I have in mind

- no ibis noise I could hear in a normal quiet room unlike the first model in this series

- ibis does seem as crazy as what the previews were saying though to me more of 2-3 solid stops (which is like Beat I have seen for a general ibis)

- ISO 5000 looks pretty reasonable (so far)

- dr is good seems like newer sony sensors (it is a sony sensor right?) that there's more shadow range than highlight - a matter of exposing to the right

All of this may change in some nuances- as I get to play more with the camera.

-----------------

ISO 8000 (1/125 F1.8, so like 1/45-1/50 @ f2.8)

Converted from RAW (Iridient), no heavy noise reduction. The JPEG version isn't bad, but the glowing letters "Walgreens" (red middle right) have color artifacts/burn, while the RAW does not.

--------------------

Improvement over OMD EM5 1.0 - no banding in shadows. The first model had some banding once you start hitting ISO 12800 (very well controlled) and shadows pushed past that (not horrible like the older Panasonic 4/3rd sensors but it's there). I don't see any banding here.

-----------------

Auto - focus

The Autofocus works pretty well and the camera would lock even in pretty low light though it slows down but still reasonably fast for the light it is.

What I noticed though is that pretty much any attempt to follow any objects that are coming towards me/away from me in this light usually resulted in a miss-focus. Need to see how to do the continuous AF - tracking for this model, but a couple of things I tried didn't quite work.

Static or mostly static objects is another story. Or objects that would keep their distance from me to them even if they are moving left/right, up/down.

--------------------

Auto focus update - tried setting the proper C-AF. When shooting several shots (5 fps- "low fps") I was able to get some shots in focus at night. This is a tough situation, and I felt the C AF worked in a couple of shots.

When doing single shot acquisition seems like it wouldn't quite work but if you "pump" the shutter while following the object you would increase your chances of getting shots in focus.

- Ricardo
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: OMD E-M5 MKII impressions

Wanted to update with more impressions -

- Tried a video in a car just as a curiosity in All -i Frame / 77Mbps mode to both check the quality and the IBIS. The IBIS is as crazy as the hype proclaims. You can even see in the video the dirty dash-glass jumping up and down while the road and other cars are pretty darn steady. Wow.

Note: I don't care for video for my work, but nice to see it's there. The quality looks reasonable. I would still expect a GH3 or GH4 to be much better, but if you are mainly a stills guy with occasional video, the new Olympus camera may do.

Fuji Xtrans camera vs this Olympus camera (you know this was coming)
    Image quality? Fuji. Hands down. I don't care what SteveHuff says here, I don't think he's giving the Fuji a fair chance. The Fuji has more DR, jumps with more color and "presence" if you will, hard to describe.

The Olympus is pretty good, it's simply the Fuji does better here.

Now, operational speed, and AF, the OMD E-M5 MKII makes my X-E1 look positively archaic. Would love to give the X-T1 a spin in similar situations with one of the newer faster lenses. I have to admit I really love that Fuji look, and it gives me pause for a second, but at the end of the day, I want a smaller ninja style camera for street photography and the Olympus matches that better.

I am surprised how well rounded the Olympus is actually. Very refined since the original E-M5. Really happy to see they took care of the banding even at the highest ISO and push from shadows.

I think if a Fuji that was like an X-E3 with that new F2.0 35mm prime was out today, I would have a hard time deciding. I still like Fuji quite a bit, but the Olympus seems to keep growing on me fast. Years ago this wouldn't be a discussion- I would have destroyed a planet for a camera like this one, it's just that there are so many good options to consider now.

All cameras are really good now.

As for my Nikon 1 J4, I still love the size.. I guess maybe that's what makes me wonder about the Fuji- if I can have the Olympus be as pocketable as a Q/ 1 J4, a part of me feels I may as well go with the slightly bigger Fuji- but truth is the Olympus system will still be smaller and it's very snappy today, not a year from now.

Maybe in 5 years if the Nikon 1 system is still around and their sensor tech has moved forward a lot I would like something like that again.

Anyway, just thinking a bit out loud. I think it's time to accept that if I want small and still ONE camera for street and paid work, the OMD EM5 MKII seems to be as good as I said I wanted.

- Ricardo
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    Wanted to update with more impressions -

- Tried a video in a car just as a curiosity in All -i Frame / 77Mbps mode to both check the quality and the IBIS. The IBIS is as crazy as the hype proclaims. You can even see in the video the dirty dash-glass jumping up and down while the road and other cars are pretty darn steady. Wow.

Note: I don't care for video for my work, but nice to see it's there. The quality looks reasonable. I would still expect a GH3 or GH4 to be much better, but if you are mainly a stills guy with occasional video, the new Olympus camera may do.

Fuji Xtrans camera vs this Olympus camera (you know this was coming)
    Image quality? Fuji. Hands down. I don't care what SteveHuff says here, I don't think he's giving the Fuji a fair chance. The Fuji has more DR, jumps with more color and "presence" if you will, hard to describe.

The Olympus is pretty good, it's simply the Fuji does better here.

Now, operational speed, and AF, the OMD E-M5 MKII makes my X-E1 look positively archaic. Would love to give the X-T1 a spin in similar situations with one of the newer faster lenses. I have to admit I really love that Fuji look, and it gives me pause for a second, but at the end of the day, I want a smaller ninja style camera for street photography and the Olympus matches that better.

I am surprised how well rounded the Olympus is actually. Very refined since the original E-M5. Really happy to see they took care of the banding even at the highest ISO and push from shadows.

I think if a Fuji that was like an X-E3 with that new F2.0 35mm prime was out today, I would have a hard time deciding. I still like Fuji quite a bit, but the Olympus seems to keep growing on me fast. Years ago this wouldn't be a discussion- I would have destroyed a planet for a camera like this one, it's just that there are so many good options to consider now.

All cameras are really good now.

As for my Nikon 1 J4, I still love the size.. I guess maybe that's what makes me wonder about the Fuji- if I can have the Olympus be as pocketable as a Q/ 1 J4, a part of me feels I may as well go with the slightly bigger Fuji- but truth is the Olympus system will still be smaller and it's very snappy today, not a year from now.

Maybe in 5 years if the Nikon 1 system is still around and their sensor tech has moved forward a lot I would like something like that again.

Anyway, just thinking a bit out loud. I think it's time to accept that if I want small and still ONE camera for street and paid work, the OMD EM5 MKII seems to be as good as I said I wanted.

- Ricardo

I haven't tried the video yet.
    The E-M5 II has grown on me as well.
    It's a jewel, very well thought out, including its user interface, and delivers excellent image quality.
    I find it complementay to my FF cameras, but not as a replacement for them.
    Hopefully the announced Olympus 300/4 is available soon.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say though Olympus has tried to improve the UI, it's still over complicated/over designed. I still think they need to further simplify how they deal with it.

- Ricardo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

K-H, Ricardo
    I hate you

I really thought I was going to escape this one, but the combination of the Irident stuff, the electronic shutter You Two and the size has defeated me.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that for full frame I'd really rather stick to my Leica M camera . . . and that for mirrorless I might as well take advantage of the real advantages of size µ43 offers.

So my lovely (and rather beaten up) E-M1 now has a new friend.

WEX (my local pusher) will have it ready to pick up at 1.

Just this guy you know
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jono,

Great move on your part.
    I know you will really appreciate the refinements over the E-M5 and E-M1.
    Of course, I will use the E-M5, E-M1, and E-M5 II alongside each other.
    For me personally that's an excellent educational tool to appreciate the technological advancements.

I agree with you on Iridient. It's a most welcome addition to our tool box.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

In all honesty, unless you want smaller, I think the EM1 should be your camera as you bought it. It also has slightly better IQ than this one from a few comparisons I have seen (Olympus has always put a tiny bit higher IQ in the top tier since 4/3rds days so not surprised).

Anyway, the EM1 is not for me because I want smaller. In fact, the OMD EM5 MKII is big enough it made me pause for a second since I am so attuned to the Nikon 1 J4 now, but I could shoot anything with this camera, and i don't dare to shoot some paid work with a Nikon 1... so....

As I am sure you already know what you see here is not the image quality of the OMD EM5 MKII as much as what I do as a photographer. I have many shots with my Pentax Q after all.

Good to see Iridient 3.0 level up a bit. I was always concerned for their noise reduction. It's better now but it is also very dependent like all raw converters on which camera you use. For the Nikon 1 J4 is still not so hot.

Anyhow, enjoy, it's a tiny speed demon.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    K-H, Ricardo
    I hate you

I really thought I was going to escape this one, but the combination of the Irident stuff, the electronic shutter You Two and the size has defeated me.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that for full frame I'd really rather stick to my Leica M camera . . . and that for mirrorless I might as well take advantage of the real advantages of size µ43 offers.

So my lovely (and rather beaten up) E-M1 now has a new friend.

WEX (my local pusher) will have it ready to pick up at 1.
    Now how did I know this was coming? I think it was the appearance of Iridient that pushed Jono over the edge.

I've been trying to get the improved autofocus in Firmware 3.1 for my E-M1 to turn me back into a basketball shooter, something I haven't done for about six years. The 3.1 magic hasn't been powerful enough to work that miracle so far, but I'll keep trying. There are some successful basketball shots with either an M5Vii or an M-1 on Imaging-Resource, but you note that they had great light (exposures at 1/1000) and shot a practice session with only four players.

So I took the M set at ISO1600 last night to a crowded, underlit set of Purim "experiences" in which you walk through a series of running scenes filled with actors in crazy costumes. It worked pretty well; some results are over in the Leica forum. This would also have been a great test for the M1 or M5Vii using ISO 3200 with the new firmware, but I wasn't brave enough to go through a second time.

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post

Now how did I know this was coming? I think it was the appearance of Iridient that pushed Jono over the edge.
    Hi Scott - it was.

Picked it up - it seems lovely (but I haven't used it yet)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The high res PS plugin works like a charm.
    One needs to enter the camera serial number to download the plugin.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, this said first impressions
    Having had the E-M5 (passed on to Sim in China) and having the E-M1, I was expecting this to seem a little less sturdy, but on the contrary, it seems to be built like the proverbial brick s**t house - metal dials. I love it that you can just turn the LCD around and forget about it. The finish generally is entirely likeable and feels much sturdier than the E-M5

Much too early to tell about the ergonomics, but they seem to be fine.

I haven't played with any of the esoterics yet, but the shutter is really delightfully quiet (significantly quieter than the E-M1) - Probably the quietest focal plane shutter I've ever had in a camera.

What's not to like?

. . . and just for once I was patient enough to wait until heading home to get the first shot . . . here it is

Norfoik Sunset
    E-M5ii 12-40

Just this guy you know
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Like I said that camera is a little jewel!
    Resistance is futile! :-)
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Like I said that camera is a little jewel!
    Resistance is futile! :-)
    Definitely not going to crack ...
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Hi Bart, then you better don't try it in a store!
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

K-H is right Bart - keep away from stores - especially don't look at the silver one (actually I chose the black, but that's just a reflection of my black heart).

Resistance is Futile

Selling my A7ii - wannabuy?

Just this guy you know
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

K-H is right Bart - keep away from stores - especially don't look at the silver one (actually I chose the black, but that's just a reflection of my black heart).

Resistance is Futile

Oh, BTW, I got a silver E-M5 II, keeping in tradition with my E-M5.
    My E-M1 is black.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

More typing than shooting ...
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More typing than shooting ...
    Your new signature with the 🎃 is interesting.

(FWIW, Bart is a very affable man in real life and has good sense of humor too, it may not come through online.)

Post Thanks / Like

i skipped the EM 1 for this and i'm now a happy owner of the mark ii

I tried the live composite feature last night. very impressive. the file was not some gimmicky JPEG but it was recorded in RAW and almost no noise!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup ..

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, that's déjŕ vu all over again. :-D

The EM5II looks like a great camera. I'll keep passing the open stores for now...

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say as much as I am enjoying the new camera, the Fuji files have this "pizzaz" I am not quite seeing in my OMD. Not that the OMD files are bad. Just that it's like Fuji has the photos painted on metal. Very chromic.

It's as if the OMD EM5 MKII still had some level of AA filter or something.

But I know if I go OMD (and looks like that's the way I am heading), I am giving something up for the size. I guess it's hard to give up the Fuji color richness.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

The OM-D E-M5 Vii has super powers. Not only does it get under the skin of recovering GASaholics, it even has psychotherapeutic abilities. Has anyone noticed that Jono has remembered to whom he loaned his tripod?

I'm curious about the qualities of the AF in this firmware release. How does it handle scenes with multiple fast moving objects: small children, dogs, basketball players...?

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The OM-D E-M5 Vii has super powers. Not only does it get under the skin of recovering GASaholics, it even has psychotherapeutic abilities. Has anyone noticed that Jono has remembered to whom he loaned his tripod?
    Yes Scott . . . but I haven't asked for it back yet!
    I'm curious about the qualities of the AF in this firmware release. How does it handle scenes with multiple fast moving objects: small children, dogs, basketball players...?

scott
    Incidentally - I'm finding startup time to the EVF to be rather slow - any hints on improving it?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    I have to say as much as I am enjoying the new camera, the Fuji files have this "pizzaz" I am not quite seeing in my OMD. Not that the OMD files are bad. Just that it's like Fuji has the photos painted on metal. Very chromic.

It's as if the OMD EM5 MKII still had some level of AA filter or something.

But I know if I go OMD (and looks like that's the way I am heading), I am giving something up for the size. I guess it's hard to give up the Fuji color richness.

- Ricardo
    Ricardo,

this is exactly what/how I feel about IQ from Fuji versus Olympus - and I must say nothing changed over the past 3 years.

The Oly's typically excel in AF speed and performance, size, system size, etc, but IQ wise I still very much prefer the Fuji files.

Hard to decide which way to go, so for the time being I decided to follow both tracks

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    this is exactly what/how I feel about IQ from Fuji versus Olympus - and I must say nothing changed over the past 3 years.

The Oly's typically excel in AF speed and performance, size, system size, etc, but IQ wise I still very much prefer the Fuji files.
    Hmm. While Fuji ergonomics had something to do with it, the basic reason I didnt like the Fujis was that the colors seem off to my eye and the files always seemed mushy, particularly in the greens. I much prefer the Olympus more neutral raw files.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm with Godfrey on the colour. I like the neutral Olympus colour, and I had a real issue with mushy greens in the X-T1. Not all the time, but unpredictably and quite badly.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one who thinks AWB on the E-M5 II seems to work very well?
    Getting the WB right IMHO is a big first step of getting natural looking colors.
    For my eyes the OM-D cameras, in particular the E-M5 II, seem to deliver on that count.

But for me there are two important reasons for the OM-D cameras, namely:

* a second to none IBIS
    * telelenses that I can carry around all day

With the E-M5 Olympus finally got a sensor on par with the industry.
    Once that was achieved other factors gain on importance IMHO.

I have seen great portrait shots with Fuji cameras and their excellent prime lenses.
    But somehow a state of the art IBIS goes a long way for me to be interested in a particular camera - assuming all other characteristics being about equal.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I just shipped off my Fuji gear (X-T1 and 3 lenses) for sale after using the OMD E-5II. Will use the proceeds for the 40-150 Oly lens. I could never come to terms with Fuji X raw processing results - inconsistent.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    I just shipped off my Fuji gear (X-T1 and 3 lenses) for sale after using the OMD E-5II. Will use the proceeds for the 40-150 Oly lens. I could never come to terms with Fuji X raw processing results - inconsistent.
    The 40-150/2.8 PRO is an outstanding lens.
    It also works great with the 1.4x teleconverter.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

The fuji color can be quite neutral if you either choose the fuji Pro neg std or hi somulation or do so in lightroom itself with the new fuji profile. It is as neutral as it gets. If you use Astia (soft), pro via (standard) or velvia (vivid) the fuji will go after its films which are known to impart a certain tonal an color response.

As for mushy greens this is a complete non issue in iridient, capture one or Even now lightroom if you push in lightroom tese tail alder to at least 75% if not 100%. On a Bayer sensor lightroom will give you grain artifacts hen doing this. With an XTRaNs sensor lightroom will give you detail. It was thanks to ala escape phoographer I bumped into this and it's because of the way xtrans data responds to the mathematical sharpening algorithms.

What I am not seeing in the omd va the fuji files is the same severL of micro contrast (that "seems as if it still has an AA filter comment), the color tonality and richness, the dynamic range. This is comparing with my xe-1, an x-t1 will do even better thanks to further sensor tweaks and 14 bit raw data (omd and x-e1 has only 12 bit raw files) which increases tonal transition and avoids posterizarion.

The one area sensor wise that the omd did surprise me was in its ability to hold color at higher ISO and the further tweaks olympus did to avoid banding at high ISO or extreme shadow push (vs original em5). The fuji does fine here too, but I was expecting the omd to fall apart in this area quicker than it does.

On the micro contrast- the very nikon 1 j4 seems to do better here (when in a well exposed scene for its dr and with the right primes)

The omd em5 mkii allegedly doesn't have the AA filter but perhaps it could be olympus anti color Moire algorithms (guesstimate) that take a little toll on the sharpness.

Of course this is part of the tradeoff you go by going smaller as a system. I like snall so on that end the omd appeals. And the response time is a step above fuji for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I do agree fully with Ricardo - the Fuji colors are just more neutral if you wish or you can easily choose whatever film-effect we know (remember) from film times. Especially the Classic Chrome effect is something reminding me on Kodachrome, while Provia for me is how I usually see and remember the shot. And the really great thing - you can apply these film simulations in LR to RAW files, so these are not limited to JPEG and can be changed as you desire. Well - in the light of all these Irident discussions - I for myself cannot find too many differences between LR, C1 Pro and Irident for either Olympus or Fuji RAWs - so the only effect for me using Irident so far is to complicate the workflow (mind you I am using LR and C1Pro simultaneously).

Also WRT detail and sharpness Fuji is better for me than Olympus, this may be due to what Ricardo described, but reiterating from my side - I never had any issues here from LR or C1 Pro.

The Olympus is not far apart, but it definitely is apart from the Fuji results. Where the Oly shines is responsiveness, AF modes, operability of the complete system etc. - here Fuji can still learn and I am sure they will! The advantage Fuji has is especially the larger APSC sensor, which will easier allow to increase resolution without sacrificing IQ.

Interesting to see what develops out of this competition in the future, but currently both systems have their place for the photpgraphy I do!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I do agree fully with Ricardo - the Fuji colors are just more neutral if you wish or you can easily choose whatever film-effect we know (remember) from film times. Especially the Classic Chrome effect is something reminding me on Kodachrome, while Provia for me is how I usually see and remember the shot. And the really great thing - you can apply these film simulations in LR to RAW files, so these are not limited to JPEG and can be changed as you desire. Well - in the light of all these Irident discussions - I for myself cannot find too many differences between LR, C1 Pro and Irident for either Olympus or Fuji RAWs - so the only effect for me using Irident so far is to complicate the workflow (mind you I am using LR and C1Pro simultaneously).

Also WRT detail and sharpness Fuji is better for me than Olympus, this may be due to what Ricardo described, but reiterating from my side - I never had any issues here from LR or C1 Pro.

The Olympus is not far apart, but it definitely is apart from the Fuji results. Where the Oly shines is responsiveness, AF modes, operability of the complete system etc. - here Fuji can still learn and I am sure they will! The advantage Fuji has is especially the larger APSC sensor, which will easier allow to increase resolution without sacrificing IQ.

Interesting to see what develops out of this competition in the future, but currently both systems have their place for the photpgraphy I do!
    I guess I just don't like the Fuji cameras or their notions of colors and processing requirements. Olympus makes better cameras for me, and I greatly prefer their out of camera files and the processing required.

As I've said before, I've seen excellent results out of every camera currently on the market, so it's all the "other stuff" that usually guides my purchases. :-)

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Resistance is Futile

Hi Jono
    Allow me to ask: If you hadn’t got the Leica M, would you still sell the A7II and prefer the E-M5II instead? And why? Colours seem to be a tiny bit more “rich” and more “complete” from the A7II, or? The E-M5II looks more neutral but also a bit more “cold”/clinic?
    And how about the subjective feeling for the two cameras? Which will do the better talking to you, instant handling etc.?
    Thorkil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Hi Jono
    Allow me to ask: If you hadn’t got the Leica M, would you still sell the A7II and prefer the E-M5II instead? And why? Colours seem to be a tiny bit more “rich” and more “complete” from the A7II, or? The E-M5II looks more neutral but also a bit more “cold”/clinic?
    And how about the subjective feeling for the two cameras? Which will do the better talking to you, instant handling etc.?
    Thorkil
    HI Thorkil
    No indeed, I guess if I didn't have the M, then I'd definitely keep the Sony - but I'd also keep the Olympus, I think the combination of µ43 and full frame is really useful .

I've always liked the non-committal colour of the Olympus cameras, and to be honest, the lens line up compared to the Sony is a no-brainer (on quality / size / price). M lenses play better on M cameras (we all know that) .

Also, with respect to the Fuji cameras - I'm with Godfrey - the colour is instantly seductive, but finally rather un-satisfying: maybe things have changed, but I found the X-T1 produced randomly smudgy greens (quite un-repairable) -not often, but certainly enough to be a show stopper.

The Olympus cameras seem to be successful Jack of All Trades - but the lenses are really special.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you! helpfull and....not (while I wouldn't buy both of them...)
    but the comfortable size, weight at the E-M5II and with the upcoming 7-14/2.8 together with the 12-40, it might be a wise choise.
    Thorkil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

HI Thorkil
    No indeed, I guess if I didn't have the M, then I'd definitely keep the Sony - but I'd also keep the Olympus, I think the combination of µ43 and full frame is really useful .
    I've always liked the non-committal colour of the Olympus cameras, and to be honest, the lens line up compared to the Sony is a no-brainer (on quality / size / price). M lenses play better on M cameras (we all know that) .

The Olympus cameras seem to be successful Jack of All Trades - but the lenses are really special.
    Jono, I think we're on exactly the same page. Now that I have the M-P, I find myself liking it much more than either M9 or Sony A7. Given my collection of R lenses, I'll be evaluating them on the M-P as soon as the mount adapter arrives, after which the A7 body might well be relegated to be for pinhole and other edge uses only.

The Sony simply doesn't inspire the same confidence in use that I get with the Oly and am getting with the M-P.

G

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Jono, I think we're on exactly the same page. Now that I have the M-P, I find myself liking it much more than either M9 or Sony A7. Given my collection of R lenses, I'll be evaluating them on the M-P as soon as the mount adapter arrives, after which the A7 body might well be relegated to be for pinhole and other edge uses only.

The Sony simply doesn't inspire the same confidence in use that I get with the Oly and am getting with the M-P.

G
    The Leica R lenses also work well on the E-M5II, particularly in HR mode. Shot below with the Leica R 50mm Summicron on the E-M5II. Processed raw in Irident and then exported 40 MP jpeg to Flickr.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey - I am with you on workflow and on all current caneras. All current cameras are good and it's a matter of mixing and matching preferences.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

G
    Such words are essential to me.
    Finally when it comes to everyday use, its a matter of which camera you will have lust for grabbing on your way out. And that lust will be the essence of your instinct overall conclusion and make you moving on in a mental easier way...
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

More impressions after more time with it:

Continuos Autofocus- to my pleasant surprise this camera even though it's contrast only, can track moving objects and photograph with accuracy (F1.8 25mm m4/3rd prime lens). You need to make sure you set the release priority to "when in focus" for continuous auto focus or you will get a lot of duds. But it's pretty fast.

General focusing in low light- fantastic. Amazing. Can lock/is fast, etc.

Focusing using small squares- again, fantastic, amazing. AF capability hardly changes and it does it pretty accurately.

Note that this should not read "focus is perfect in every single situation" but relative to general camera focusing systems in general.

Focusing with 4/3rds lens - eh / meh. It's ok but it's not fast and it's not always accurate.
    But not surprising.

- Ricardo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Ricardo
    Thanks for the 'when in focus' tip - I'll try that.
    I gave it a real hammering at Crufts dog show in horrible lighting on Friday, and generally speaking it performed really well

I like it!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ho Hum
    I was trying to use M mode with Automatic ISO at Crufts, and it didn't . . . . so I checked it on the E-M1 and it didn't either . . . has this changed? Am I having a brainfart? How do you implement TAV mode on an OMD?

On a different front, it's inspired me to get out the smaller zooms; the 14-150 is such a gas on an E-M5ii body - here's a couple from today

Swan

Chicken

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

. . . and here's one of little Scarlett with the glorious 75 f1.8

Hippety Hop

Just this guy you know
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

why doesn't Lightroom support this camera yet? usually Olympus is pretty quick in giving adobe an update in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For Auto ISO in M, try the following:

I don't know how it's done on the EM-5 II, but on the EM-1 you go to the custom menu (cogwheel) and to 'Exp/--/ISO' and there, under 'Auto-ISO' (below the Auto-ISO set). There you select 'All' instead of P/A/S.

Henning
    Last edited by henningw; 8th March 2015 at 15:07.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by henningw View Post

I don't know how it's done on the EM-5 II, but on the EM-1 you go to the custom menu (cogwheel) and to 'Exp/--/ISO' and there, under 'Auto-ISO' (under the Auto-ISO set). There you select 'All' instead of P/A/S.

Henning
    Excellent, Henning ! I couldn't remember how I had Auto-ISO enabled for the other modes.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how it's done on the EM-5 II, but on the EM-1 you go to the custom menu (cogwheel) and to 'Exp/--/ISO' and there, under 'Auto-ISO' (below the Auto-ISO set). There you select 'All' instead of P/A/S.

Henning
    The same on E-M5 and E-M5 Mark II.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Remember also that AutoISO in Manual exposure mode on the E-M1 does not have an EV Compensation control or exposure lock (at least as far as I'm aware). You can only adjust the EV compensation by going to custom menu K and adjusting the exposure calibration for manual exposure mode. It's clumsy at best ... I wish they'd enable EV Compensation for this mode.

G

Post Thanks / Like

. . . and here's one of little Scarlett with the glorious 75 f1.8

Hippety Hop[/SIZE][/CENTER]
    I *almost* bought this lens today. I walked myself out of the store to make sure I am really going full feet in the m4/3rds. But I tried it and it sure looks like a great awesome lens.

- Ricardo