The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMD EM5 MKII

raist3d

Got the 75mm F1.8 today. Man, what a *crazy* lens! Glad this is one of my favorite focal lengths. May go out tonight to shoot.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Hello Brian. As far as balancing I hold the camera by the lens with my left hand. If hold the camera only I feel I can take a shot or two but it's definitively front heavy. But holding the camera by the lens works for me.

As far as the lens goes its smaller than I expected for the focal length and aperture it is. I wish it came with the lens hood. This lens is as good as te hype around it is.

I still have a couple of thoughts on my previous equipment. The nikon 1 allows me to have a poketable camera. The fuji to me still captures better tones. I bought the olympus 15 camera lens cap used for real cheap and with that at least I can "dismantle the camera" and put it away in my jeans pocket. If I am using my coat I can put the camera with lens in one pocket but it's a bit felt The camera with lens camera cap and probably Panny pancake feel notably better.

This is one thing I think I sort of miss. The impossibly snall camera and nice prime in such a small and light form it can be worn without a second thought. But if I want better low
Light performance.... Micro four thirds is the next step up and the lenses are smaller than the fuji system overall.

Annna T

Hello Brian. As far as balancing I hold the camera by the lens with my left hand. If hold the camera only I feel I can take a shot or two but it's definitively front heavy. But holding the camera by the lens works for me.

As far as the lens goes its smaller than I expected for the focal length and aperture it is. I wish it came with the lens hood. This lens is as good as te hype around it is.

I still have a couple of thoughts on my previous equipment. The nikon 1 allows me to have a poketable camera. The fuji to me still captures better tones. I bought the olympus 15 camera lens cap used for real cheap and with that at least I can "dismantle the camera" and put it away in my jeans pocket. If I am using my coat I can put the camera with lens in one pocket but it's a bit felt The camera with lens camera cap and probably Panny pancake feel notably better.

This is one thing I think I sort of miss. The impossibly snall camera and nice prime in such a small and light form it can be worn without a second thought. But if I want better low
Light performance.... Micro four thirds is the next step up and the lenses are smaller than the fuji system overall.
Are you aware of the Panasonic 20mm F1.7 pan cake lens ? It is extremely sharp, really small, fast and light. It was the lens to have when MFT started and is still extremely good. It makes the E-M5 almost pocketable, aka not much bigger than the 15mm lens cap, but you get IQ. There are a few drawbacks, however, the focusing is somewhat slowed, so you have to see if that disturbs you. In low light I use the center point with SAF and the focus and reframe technique, so that doesn't disturb me. There is also a 14mm F2.5 Panasonic pancake, which is even lighter and smaller. IQ isn't as good, as the 20mm but still satisfying. Godfrey for instance like it; I think he uses it on an E-Pl7 when he want to go really compact.

Concerning the 75mm F1.8 it is absolutely extraordinary. But my E-M5 II has a rather hard lens mount and compared to the E-M5 I the mounting is now a little tricky. The focusing ring is nicely wide and smooth, but I had to deactivate AF+MF because when holding the camera by the lens I was moving the ring accidentally way to often.
But given the optical IQ, those are nits. For the hood, look on eBay : JJC is offering copies of the Olympus hood at half the price if not less. Just make a search with the Olympus name of the part and add JJC, you should find it easily. The inconvenient is that the hood is really big : the lens will grow in length by about one third.

jonoslack

We've been skiing this week - I found the E-M5ii with the 14-150 Zuiko to be a perfect travelling companion (with a Leica M and the 28 'lux also in the bag)

Here are a couple of early examples

Inside Out

Back to Front

Outside In

raist3d

Are you aware of the Panasonic 20mm F1.7 pan cake lens ? It is extremely sharp, really small, fast and light. It was the lens to have when MFT started and is still extremely good.
Yes, I am aware, and thought I had referenced it above but didn't. That pancake may make the camera somewhat pocketable I think too.

It makes the E-M5 almost pocketable, aka not much bigger than the 15mm lens cap, but you get IQ. There are a few drawbacks, however, the focusing is somewhat slowed, so you have to see if that disturbs you.
Also aware of the slower AF (tried it on G6).

In low light I use the center point with SAF and the focus and reframe technique, so that doesn't disturb me. There is also a 14mm F2.5 Panasonic pancake, which is even lighter and smaller. IQ isn't as good, as the 20mm but still satisfying. Godfrey for instance like it; I think he uses it on an E-Pl7 when he want to go really compact.

Concerning the 75mm F1.8 it is absolutely extraordinary. But my E-M5 II has a rather hard lens mount and compared to the E-M5 I the mounting is now a little tricky. The focusing ring is nicely wide and smooth, but I had to deactivate AF+MF because when holding the camera by the lens I was moving the ring accidentally way to often.
I found myself with the same problem on having AF+MF with the F1.8 75mm. I agree it's amazing.

But given the optical IQ, those are nits. For the hood, look on eBay : JJC is offering copies of the Olympus hood at half the price if not less. Just make a search with the Olympus name of the part and add JJC, you should find it easily. The inconvenient is that the hood is really big : the lens will grow in length by about one third.
Yes, JJC is the one I am thinking about buying.

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions.

- Ricardo

raist3d

75mm @ F2.8. As much as I would like to get full credit for the composition, I cropped in post (though not a super crop).

- Ricardo

raist3d

I like telephoto for my street life. It's the reason I can't just use a Ricoh GR which is to me the most perfect street life camera I have seen. But I am not a wide shooter (Ricoh GR is 28mm equiv.).

The 75mm (150mm equiv) is one of my favorite focal lengths.

- Ricardo