Site Sponsors

Thread: OMD EM5 MKII

Post Thanks / Like

OMD EM5 MKII

Some shots with the new OMD E-M5 MKII from last night.

Used the Olympus software for these until I decide to sprint for the Iridient license. Iridient sure seems to do a better job with these.

- Ricardo
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: OMD EM5 MKII

Great shots Ricardo!

WRT Irident - why not wait till LR or Capture One Pro support the EM5II files? I am more than happy with both for my EM5 and EM1 development, with C1Pro having a slight edge wrt IQ, noise reduction etc ....

My 5 c

Peter
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

LR is taking it's time!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Great shots Ricardo!

WRT Irident - why not wait till LR or Capture One Pro support the EM5II files? I am more than happy with both for my EM5 and EM1 development, with C1Pro having a slight edge wrt IQ, noise reduction etc ....

My 5 c

Peter
    Hi Peter
    Iridient is very useful - not just until lR supports cameras, but afterwards to look at lens corrections, it's also a very good converter in some conditions.

What is even better with it is that it integrates really well with LR - so that if you shoot JPG + RAW, and then import both into LR (with JPG as master) - when you use Iridient as the external developer it looks for the RAW file and uses that . . . and then over-writes the tiff file that LR created from the jpg.

I wrote an article about it:
    Last edited by jonoslack; 4th March 2015 at 01:08.

Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Peter
    Iridient is very useful - not just until lR supports cameras, but afterwards to look at lens corrections, it's also a very good converter in some conditions.

What is even better with it is that it integrates really well with LR - so that if you shoot JPG + RAW, and then import both into LR (with JPG as master) - when you use Iridient as the external developer it looks for the RAW file and uses that . . . and then over-writes the tiff file that LR created from the jpg.

Hi Jono,

many thanks for the update!

Tried to connect to your link, but does not work .....

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono,

many thanks for the update!

Tried to connect to your link, but does not work .....

Peter
    Sorry Peter - try again.
    best
    Jono

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Peter - try again.
    best
    Jono
    Jono,

Again many thanks, link works now ....

I tried with LR and results are great for X-Trans files as well as Olympus EM1 ORFs.

Will try later with Aperture as well ....

Having said that I wish that Apple would continue to support and develop Aperture as the new Photo App for Yosemite is just crab and not really useable for me WRT flexibility and features. All this abandoning of Aperture drove me back into LR and C1Pro again which start to work properly now for me - but I would have preferred to stay with Aperture. But maybe wonders will happen

Best

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Great shots Ricardo!

My 5 c

Peter
    These were developed with Iridient as a trial. I screen captured them. However, I did go on impulse and did buy a real License today. Part because I have been using Iridient from time to time this way and felt it was fair. Part because Iridient 3.0 can do great color, they improved the noise reduction and can already do 40 MP RAW files from the OMD EM5 MKII.

Iridient is also a prime RAW converter for Xtrans.

That said, LightRoom at least for the Nikon 1 does superb color noise removal, but more often than not, I don't like how the color comes out by default and it's a pain to get a color I want. This however, varies from RAW converter-camera combination.

I will agree with you it could very well be that LR does good support for the OMD EM5 MKII and then it would be a redundant thing, but we will see.

- Ricardo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Peter

Doesn't work for me.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    These were developed with Iridient as a trial. I screen captured them. However, I did go on impulse and did buy a real License today. Part because I have been using Iridient from time to time this way and felt it was fair. Part because Iridient 3.0 can do great color, they improved the noise reduction and can already do 40 MP RAW files from the OMD EM5 MKII.

Iridient is also a prime RAW converter for Xtrans.

That said, LightRoom at least for the Nikon 1 does superb color noise removal, but more often than not, I don't like how the color comes out by default and it's a pain to get a color I want. This however, varies from RAW converter-camera combination.

I will agree with you it could very well be that LR does good support for the OMD EM5 MKII and then it would be a redundant thing, but we will see.

- Ricardo

Iridient seems to have more functionality than RPP64.
    Both can deal with high resolution raw files from my E-M5 II.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Doesn't work for me.
    HI there
    I've corrected my link - but of course I haven't corrected the quote in Peter's (it had two http/ in it!

Here it is again:

"http://www.slack.co.uk/2014/iridient.html'

and as a link Iridient Article

Incidentally - it I've described it in Aperture, but it works quite as well from LightRoom.

if it still doesn't work try this Article at Leica Forum

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

HI there
    I've corrected my link - but of course I haven't corrected the quote in Peter's (it had two http/ in it!

Here it is again:

"http://www.slack.co.uk/2014/iridient.html'

and as a link Iridient Article

Incidentally - it I've described it in Aperture, but it works quite as well from LightRoom.

if it still doesn't work try this Article at Leica Forum

Many thanks Jono. Got it now.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You IŁ)@*(ers (it's all your fault)
    I've got a gig to do on Friday (Crufts Dog Show) . . . .I've cracked
    Picking up a black body in an hour
    (it's all too easy)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

- Ricardo
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Handshake.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

- Ricardo
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great stuff Ricardo
    Here's something different . . .

It's my FIRST picture with my camera. Just a jpg this time.

Norfoik Sunset
    E-M5ii 12-40

Just this guy you know
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JPG is looking good, which is expected since it is an Olympus after all

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Peter

Jono,

Not having ever been in the position of having an unsupported camera before, I have a few questions about a work around for using the ORF RAW files.

I've only shot RAW using the EM5 Mk II and obviously LR 5.7 will not recognize it for import into their catalog.

If I decide to get Iridient 3.0 and I shoot both JPEG and RAW, will LR recognize and import both JPEG and the unrecognized ORF files? As described in your link, using Iridient as an external editor requires it to be in the LR catalog. If this works, and I edit as much as I want of the ORF file using Iridient and close it to go back into LR, what file form does it revert back to, if not a TIFF as the ORF would still be unsupported?

Post Thanks / Like

Got the 75mm F1.8 today. Man, what a *crazy* lens! Glad this is one of my favorite focal lengths. May go out tonight to shoot.

- Ricardo
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

- Ricardo
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice work Ricardo.

How do you find the 85mm f1.8 balances on the EM-5 MKII for you? not too bulky?

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Brian. As far as balancing I hold the camera by the lens with my left hand. If hold the camera only I feel I can take a shot or two but it's definitively front heavy. But holding the camera by the lens works for me.

As far as the lens goes its smaller than I expected for the focal length and aperture it is. I wish it came with the lens hood. This lens is as good as te hype around it is.

I still have a couple of thoughts on my previous equipment. The nikon 1 allows me to have a poketable camera. The fuji to me still captures better tones. I bought the olympus 15 camera lens cap used for real cheap and with that at least I can "dismantle the camera" and put it away in my jeans pocket. If I am using my coat I can put the camera with lens in one pocket but it's a bit felt The camera with lens camera cap and probably Panny pancake feel notably better.

This is one thing I think I sort of miss. The impossibly snall camera and nice prime in such a small and light form it can be worn without a second thought. But if I want better low
    Light performance.... Micro four thirds is the next step up and the lenses are smaller than the fuji system overall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello Brian. As far as balancing I hold the camera by the lens with my left hand. If hold the camera only I feel I can take a shot or two but it's definitively front heavy. But holding the camera by the lens works for me.

As far as the lens goes its smaller than I expected for the focal length and aperture it is. I wish it came with the lens hood. This lens is as good as te hype around it is.

I still have a couple of thoughts on my previous equipment. The nikon 1 allows me to have a poketable camera. The fuji to me still captures better tones. I bought the olympus 15 camera lens cap used for real cheap and with that at least I can "dismantle the camera" and put it away in my jeans pocket. If I am using my coat I can put the camera with lens in one pocket but it's a bit felt The camera with lens camera cap and probably Panny pancake feel notably better.

This is one thing I think I sort of miss. The impossibly snall camera and nice prime in such a small and light form it can be worn without a second thought. But if I want better low
    Light performance.... Micro four thirds is the next step up and the lenses are smaller than the fuji system overall.
    Are you aware of the Panasonic 20mm F1.7 pan cake lens ? It is extremely sharp, really small, fast and light. It was the lens to have when MFT started and is still extremely good. It makes the E-M5 almost pocketable, aka not much bigger than the 15mm lens cap, but you get IQ. There are a few drawbacks, however, the focusing is somewhat slowed, so you have to see if that disturbs you. In low light I use the center point with SAF and the focus and reframe technique, so that doesn't disturb me. There is also a 14mm F2.5 Panasonic pancake, which is even lighter and smaller. IQ isn't as good, as the 20mm but still satisfying. Godfrey for instance like it; I think he uses it on an E-Pl7 when he want to go really compact.

Concerning the 75mm F1.8 it is absolutely extraordinary. But my E-M5 II has a rather hard lens mount and compared to the E-M5 I the mounting is now a little tricky. The focusing ring is nicely wide and smooth, but I had to deactivate AF+MF because when holding the camera by the lens I was moving the ring accidentally way to often.
    But given the optical IQ, those are nits. For the hood, look on eBay : JJC is offering copies of the Olympus hood at half the price if not less. Just make a search with the Olympus name of the part and add JJC, you should find it easily. The inconvenient is that the hood is really big : the lens will grow in length by about one third.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We've been skiing this week - I found the E-M5ii with the 14-150 Zuiko to be a perfect travelling companion (with a Leica M and the 28 'lux also in the bag)

Here are a couple of early examples

Inside Out

Back to Front

Outside In

Just this guy you know
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Are you aware of the Panasonic 20mm F1.7 pan cake lens ? It is extremely sharp, really small, fast and light. It was the lens to have when MFT started and is still extremely good.
    Yes, I am aware, and thought I had referenced it above but didn't. That pancake may make the camera somewhat pocketable I think too.

It makes the E-M5 almost pocketable, aka not much bigger than the 15mm lens cap, but you get IQ. There are a few drawbacks, however, the focusing is somewhat slowed, so you have to see if that disturbs you.
    Also aware of the slower AF (tried it on G6).

In low light I use the center point with SAF and the focus and reframe technique, so that doesn't disturb me. There is also a 14mm F2.5 Panasonic pancake, which is even lighter and smaller. IQ isn't as good, as the 20mm but still satisfying. Godfrey for instance like it; I think he uses it on an E-Pl7 when he want to go really compact.

Concerning the 75mm F1.8 it is absolutely extraordinary. But my E-M5 II has a rather hard lens mount and compared to the E-M5 I the mounting is now a little tricky. The focusing ring is nicely wide and smooth, but I had to deactivate AF+MF because when holding the camera by the lens I was moving the ring accidentally way to often.
    I found myself with the same problem on having AF+MF with the F1.8 75mm. I agree it's amazing.

But given the optical IQ, those are nits. For the hood, look on eBay : JJC is offering copies of the Olympus hood at half the price if not less. Just make a search with the Olympus name of the part and add JJC, you should find it easily. The inconvenient is that the hood is really big : the lens will grow in length by about one third.
    Yes, JJC is the one I am thinking about buying.

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

My undecided me in some shots in color vs b/w

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Sour thoughts

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

nicely composed raist3d, what lense was used here?

Post Thanks / Like

75mm @ F2.8. As much as I would like to get full credit for the composition, I cropped in post (though not a super crop).

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

hmm, great inspiration for m43 Oly 75mm owners

Post Thanks / Like

I like telephoto for my street life. It's the reason I can't just use a Ricoh GR which is to me the most perfect street life camera I have seen. But I am not a wide shooter (Ricoh GR is 28mm equiv.).

The 75mm (150mm equiv) is one of my favorite focal lengths.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Old Soul

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Skaters from last weekend

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Love men...

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

More men...

- Ricardo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

More men...
    I'd say that's just too much men, Ricardo ...
    But I like this shot a lot !

All the very best.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Knorp - can't have enough men :-) And I forgot to give them my business card so I could send them the shot! *facepalm*. I have to say considering that shot was back lit like that with no flash and had to do on the spot.. though it's cropped.... I had to stand way back with the 75mm, but the bokeh works.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Angst.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

I am finding Capture One 8.2 definitively giving me better color than LR (including the just released 6/CC which is pretty much like 5.7).

From tonight.

- Ricardo