The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EM1-II: 1/32.000 - now we're talking ...

Elderly

Why an EM-1 MKII in 2016 surprises you? Olympus does not update their top tier line fast. That's how they did it with 4/3rds.

- Ricardo
I was chatting with an Olympus rep and a photo store manager recently and they were describing to me the restrictions that were put in place to prevent leaks about forthcoming products that were being shown way in advance to relevant parties.

I did ask him about an EM1-Mk2, and I did believe his answer of
"Nothing this year".

jonoslack

I was chatting with an Olympus rep and a photo store manager recently and they were describing to me the restrictions that were put in place to prevent leaks about forthcoming products that were being shown way in advance to relevant parties.

I did ask him about an EM1-Mk2, and I did believe his answer of
"Nothing this year".
HI There Ian
From what I can see, and of course, only that; it seems to me that Reps are the very last people to know about product development - their loyalties are very much towards their customers, so it's much safer to keep them in the dark until the publicity material is printed. . . . .

Of course, Olympus could be different, but I doubt it. Of course, I've no idea whether there will be an E-M1ii this year or not, but I wonder if he does either :)

Elderly

Who knows Jono????? Only time will tell .......

But when I got the "Nothing this year" answer, I responded that of course I understood
that they "Couldn't possibly comment".

However they said that in the past they had been shown (current) equipment well in advance of release date with extreme measures taken to ensure no actual details could be leaked by them, but this time they had not been shown anything.

As somebody who believes that we are so misinformed by so many vested interests about so many things, that it's almost not worth having an opinion on anything unless it's first hand, I must be getting naïve in my old age :shocked:.

Are you enjoying beta testing the EM1 iiiii ? :p:)

jonoslack

Are you enjoying beta testing the EM1 iiiii ? :p:)
Hi Ian I am indeed enjoying testing it. It's a fabulous camera! But actually, I only test cameras for someone else :(

Right now, the partnership of the E-M1 and the E-M5ii does a grand job, and they're a joy to use (must take advantage of that 40mp stuff . . .but I haven't yet!).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Not sure what to think of these rumors.

If the PK2016 release would be really with a 18MP sensor, then this should be better able to play a lot of crazy things (global shutter, extreme DR and extreme good high ISO performance), or why would they need some 9 months longer for this sensor compared to the 20MP Sony sensor rumored for the CES16 release in the beginning of 2016???

And why would a 20MP sensor be a backup plan for a 18MP sensor?

Add to this that the increase from the current 16MP to the rumored holy grail 18MP of next year PK16 release is only very lame. So it would need lot of other benefits (as I listed some above) to make sense.

:confused:

Knorp

Not sure what to think of these rumors.

If the PK2016 release would be really with a 18MP sensor, then this should be better able to play a lot of crazy things (global shutter, extreme DR and extreme good high ISO performance), or why would they need some 9 months longer for this sensor compared to the 20MP Sony sensor rumored for the CES16 release in the beginning of 2016???

And why would a 20MP sensor be a backup plan for a 18MP sensor?

Add to this that the increase from the current 16MP to the rumored holy grail 18MP of next year PK16 release is only very lame. So it would need lot of other benefits (as I listed some above) to make sense.

:confused:
Some crazy rumours, Peter.
But it's all good fun :)

Kind regards.

zensu

There are a lot of rumors! I just wonder, now that Sony is a share holder in the Olympus Corp., what kind of new sensor tech the E-M1 II will actually get from Sony?
Bobby

Knorp

There are a lot of rumors! I just wonder, now that Sony is a share holder in the Olympus Corp., what kind of new sensor tech the E-M1 II will actually get from Sony?
Bobby
Whatever the new sensor - I'm sure it will be excellent, but of course I'm hoping for something a bit revolutionary. A low-noise 20MP BSI sensor at least ...

k-hawinkler

24 MP for an MFT sensor equals about 57 MP for an FF sensor resolution wise. :thumbs:

PS: Correction. I should have written:

24 MP for an APS-C sensor equals about 57 MP for an FF sensor resolution wise. :thumbs:

Last edited:

Knorp

I would say this should not be a problem given what modern sensor technology can offer :D
Still, I'm opting for a low-noise sensor over a high-res sensor.
16MP is fine for my type of m43 shooting, if I want more I grab the Sony ...