The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M5 II • high res shots • gone wrong

k-hawinkler

To me it makes sense to dedicate a thread to the issues that can arise when not properly using the hi res shot mode of the E-M5 Mark II.
Although that has already somewhat been discussed in other treads, please let me kick off the discussion here with a glaring example, taken with the Leica 16-18-21/4 WATE lens.

First the .ORI lo res single shot file, developed with Iridient and downsized to 2304*1728 pixels.

Now the .ORF hi res, slightly shifted, multi shot file, developed with Iridient and downsized to 2304*1728 pixels.

In this case the problems arise from two effects

• a minimal motion of the tripod fixed camera from minuscule amounts of wind, and
• substantial motion of the subjects, be it the running water or the twigs moving in the wind.

By comparing the two images one clearly can see the artifacts in the water generated by multiple shots.
Even better visible is the effect in the upper left hand corner where moving twigs are captured 8 times in the image.

Not so glaringly obvious is the effect of the moving camera on immovable rocks and dead twigs sticking solidly in the ground.
But careful inspection reveals that the multiple, slightly shifted shots impart a fuzziness to those objects.

Of course, in this case the solution is obvious to avoid these problems, namely, use the single shot file. :D
There is nothing to be gained here from the hi res shots! :eek:

Comments and feedback are welcome. TIA.

Knorp

Hi there K-H,

thank you for all your (and others!) effort, I appreciate and enjoy all the info and images.
But to me this hi-res feature is too much a hassle, at least when considering its current technical state.
However, don't let this stop you from exploring ... :salute:

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

Hi there K-H,

thank you for all your (and others!) effort, I appreciate and enjoy all the info and images.
But to me this hi-res feature is too much a hassle, at least when considering its current technical state.
However, don't let this stop you from exploring ... :salute:

Kind regards.

Many thanks Bart for your interest and feedback. Much appreciated.
Isn't there a Clint Eastwood movie with the memorable line:

"A man's GOT to know his limitations."

I would add "... and those of his tools."

But, before I dig deeper into that, I would like to point out what a great tool the E-M5 Mark II really is IMHO.

For the moment let's forget about the hi res shots and use the E-M5 II simply as one would use any other 16 MP µFT camera.
It is also a lucky break that PS CS6 currently cannot open the single shot .ORI (or for that matter the single shot .ORF) files.
One tool that can however open those files (as well as the hi res shots .ORF file) is Iridient Developer 3.0.
Although Iridient isn't a full fledged editor as PS CS6 is, it does an excellent job of converting all those E-M5 II to 16 bit tiff files.
It also has basic processing functionalities and is very well integrated with PS CS6.
(For completeness I need to mention that PS CS6 can import a hi res shots .ORF file with the help of an Olympus Plugin though.)

Of course, Jono has known and been using Iridient all along for different reasons.
But for me Iridient Developer 3.0 was a real discovery and I have added it to my tool box and will be using it also for other cameras.

Following are some lo res evening shots from yesterday I took at Bandelier National Monument with the E-M5 II and Leica lenses.
Although OT, I will display the images here without the, in this case, distracting hi res shots to show off a bit the excellent performance of the E-M5 II IMHO.

scho

Many thanks Bart for your interest and feedback. Much appreciated.
Isn't there a Clint Eastwood movie with the memorable line:

"A man's GOT to know his limitations."

I would add "... and those of his tools."

But, before I dig deeper into that, I would like to point out what a great tool the E-M5 Mark II really is IMHO.

For the moment let's forget about the hi res shots and use the E-M5 II simply as one would use any other 16 MP µFT camera.
It is also a lucky break that PS CS6 currently cannot open the single shot .ORI (or for that matter the single shot .ORF) files.
One tool that can however open those files (as well as the hi res shots .ORF file) is Iridient Developer 3.0.
Although Iridient isn't a full fledged editor as PS CS6 is, it does an excellent job of converting all those E-M5 II to 16 bit tiff files.
It also has basic processing functionalities and is very well integrated with PS CS6.
(For completeness I need to mention that PS CS6 can import a hi res shots .ORF file with the help of an Olympus Plugin though.)

Of course, Jono has known and been using Iridient all along for different reasons.
But for me Iridient Developer 3.0 was a real discovery and I have added it to my tool box and will be using it also for other cameras.

Following are some lo res evening shots from yesterday I took at Bandelier National Monument with the E-M5 II and Leica lenses.
Although OT, I will display the images here without the, in this case, distracting hi res shots to show off a bit the excellent performance of the E-M5 II IMHO.
ACR 8.8 can now open HR ORF files in CS6, but can only open ORI files if you first re-name the extension to ORF.

k-hawinkler

ACR 8.8 can now open HR ORF files in CS6, but can only open ORI files if you first re-name the extension to ORF.
Many thanks Carl. I have now this version installed on OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite Beta 5 and it works exactly as you wrote. :clap:
BTW, if you have ever tried Raw Photo Processor 64 (RPP64) I would like to know your take on it. ;) TIA.

Last edited:

scho

Many thanks Carl. I have now this version installed on OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite Beta 5 and it works exactly as you wrote. :clap:
BTW, if you have ever tried Raw Photo Processor 64 (RPP64) I would like to know your take on it. ;) TIA.
I hope that LR gets support soon as well. RPP works OK with the HR ORF files and will export tiffs directly to LR. I used it before Irident and ACR provided support for the ORF files.