The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Let's talk about tilt&shift ...

Knorp

Anyone has any experience with tilt&shift adapters or lenses on μ43 cameras ?
Any particular lenses (focal length) that would work well or should better be avoided ?

I've noticed Kipon has some T&S models for these mounts M42, Olympus OM, Leica R, Nikon F, Nikon G.
But they are rather pricey (€339) ... :eek:
So before taking the plunge I'm hoping for your thoughts.

TIA

Kind regards.

scho

Any particular lenses (focal length) that would work well or should better be avoided ?

I've noticed Kipon has some T&S models for these mounts M42, Olympus OM, Leica R, Nikon F, Nikon G.

TIA

Kind regards.
Bart,

I've not had any experience with the Kipon TS adapters, but I did use a Canon 24mm TS-E II lens on the Panasonic G1 that worked very well. Samyang/Rokinon make a knock-off of this lens that is about half the price of the Canon, but construction is not as good as the Canon. If I were going the adapter route I would look seriously at the Hcam adapter if available in m43 mount. I think that it is only for sony E mount right now?

V

Vivek

TIA

Kind regards.
Hi Bart, You are welcome to try my PC Nikkor 28/3.5 (shift) and PC Nikkor 85/2.8 (T/S and Macro) if you have the (regular) Nikon adapters for m43rds (or else, I can find something that will work). Drop me a line. :)

f6cvalkyrie

Hi, Bart,

I own a cheap shift adapter from the EBay, for Nikon F mount lenses.
Use it occasionally only. With wide-angle lenses only.

C U
Rafael

Knorp

Bart,

I've not had any experience with the Kipon TS adapters, but I did use a Canon 24mm TS-E II lens on the Panasonic G1 that worked very well. Samyang/Rokinon make a knock-off of this lens that is about half the price of the Canon, but construction is not as good as the Canon. If I were going the adapter route I would look seriously at the Hcam adapter if available in m43 mount. I think that it is only for sony E mount right now?
Hi there Carl,

thanks for the hint; I think that Hcam Master TS is Stefan's baby, right ?
Not sure I want to go that route, but perhaps one day when I'm back into Sony ... :)
I'll sure have a look at that Canon lens.

Thanks again and kind regards.

Knorp

Hi Bart, You are welcome to try my PC Nikkor 28/3.5 (shift) and PC Nikkor 85/2.8 (T/S and Macro) if you have the (regular) Nikon adapters for m43rds (or else, I can find something that will work). Drop me a line. :)
Wow - that's a generous offer, Vivek ! Much appreciated :clap:
I'd really like to try my hand on that TS 85/2.8 ...
Let me get an adapter, then I'll get in touch.

Thanks and kind regards.

Knorp

Hi, Bart,

I own a cheap shift adapter from the EBay, for Nikon F mount lenses.
Use it occasionally only. With wide-angle lenses only.

C U
Rafael
Hi there Raf,

in a previous life, when I still had all my gear, I had this Pentax 28/3.5 Shift lens that worked pretty good on my K5-IIs but not so good on the A7r .
Anyway, I've always been wanting more than Shift only, so it really has to be Tilt&Shift this time :)

Thank you and all the very best.

Annna T

I'd love to have a 12mm shift for architecture...

anyway, it seems that the Fotodiox adapter does not work with the OM-D series because of the viewfinder bulge:
https://www.fotodioxpro.com/lens-mo...irrorless-camera-with-shift-and-rotation.html

best,

geb
Me too, I'd like a 12mm shift lens for architecture. I got interested by these shift adapters at first, but what wide angle lenses could you find to shoot architecture ? Even a very wide 15mm on FF would only be a 30mm equivalent on MFT. And I doubt that an APSC zoom would allow enough shifting with reasonable sharpness in the corners. I looked into the APSC wide angle zoom offering a while ago and found that these zooms were exhibiting complicated mustache distortion almost impossible to correct. So correcting verticals in software may still be a better solution than using a shift adapter.

But I would love to have a native shift adapter for architecture, something between 10-12mm. No need for a fast aperture, no need for tilt either, since the smaller sensor gives more DOF, so for the wide angle shift only would be OK.

f6cvalkyrie

I'd love to have a 12mm shift for architecture...

anyway, it seems that the Fotodiox adapter does not work with the OM-D series because of the viewfinder bulge:
https://www.fotodioxpro.com/lens-mo...irrorless-camera-with-shift-and-rotation.html

best,

geb
I can't confirm the incompatibility of the Fotodiox shift adapter with OM-D's. I just tried it on my E-M1 with a Nikkor 20mm lens (the widest I have), it fits, and it can shift all the way (10mm) both horizontally and vertically.

However, my lenses show a problem with infinity focus when shooting fully open, but Fotodiox does not confirm this ...

C U
Rafael

Knorp

Knorp

Me too, I'd like a 12mm shift lens for architecture. I got interested by these shift adapters at first, but what wide angle lenses could you find to shoot architecture ? Even a very wide 15mm on FF would only be a 30mm equivalent on MFT. And I doubt that an APSC zoom would allow enough shifting with reasonable sharpness in the corners. I looked into the APSC wide angle zoom offering a while ago and found that these zooms were exhibiting complicated mustache distortion almost impossible to correct. So correcting verticals in software may still be a better solution than using a shift adapter.

But I would love to have a native shift adapter for architecture, something between 10-12mm. No need for a fast aperture, no need for tilt either, since the smaller sensor gives more DOF, so for the wide angle shift only would be OK.
Hi there Annna,

Native μ43 T/S lenses would be my preferred option too, but are there any at all ?
My Pentax 28/3.5 Shift on the K5-IIs was already FF 42mm and, although excellent all the way into the corners, certainly not wide enough.

Kind regards.

Knorp

I can't confirm the incompatibility of the Fotodiox shift adapter with OM-D's. I just tried it on my E-M1 with a Nikkor 20mm lens (the widest I have), it fits, and it can shift all the way (10mm) both horizontally and vertically.

However, my lenses show a problem with infinity focus when shooting fully open, but Fotodiox does not confirm this ...

C U
Rafael
Hi Raf,

I'm wondering why the Fotodiox is not OMD compatible according to the manufacturer.
Perhaps you can't turn it around all the way as shown on the website ?
But the deal killer here is the inability for infinity focusing.

Thanks and all the best.

V

Vivek

Wow - that's a generous offer, Vivek ! Much appreciated :clap:
I'd really like to try my hand on that TS 85/2.8 ...
Let me get an adapter, then I'll get in touch.

Thanks and kind regards.
Sooner the better. :)

I would like to sell them to generate some cash towards a AA 90/2.

mediumcool

I have two Pentax K > m43 tilt adapters purchased from eBay; I have never seen a shift adapter for m43. The first worked well enough, but fell apart within a year (of light use) whilst still being assembled, if you can picture that!

The second has internal milling to act as light blocking—it doesn’t work, at least with the 120mm Pentax-M I tried it with—huge flare. I expect it will be no better with the Pentax 35mm f/2.8 I have used in the past for small product shots, but I may be wrong!

I will chase down the purchases if I can’t find any branding on the adapters themselves, and look for the boxes.

mediumcool

I think a between 8-to-12mm shift lens would be a good fit for M43—for a focal length this short, DOF is not much of a problem, but converging verticals will be more readily reduced with shift. Stitching anyone?

I routinely use the Keystone tool in C1 to correct an up-tilted image, but you run out of edges/corners quickly, and extreme correction is not feasible. The same thing happens with Photoshop, though that program does allow you to run distortion outside the image area, and fill in gaps with the stamp or content-aware fill.

Annna T

Hi there Annna,

Native μ43 T/S lenses would be my preferred option too, but are there any at all ?
My Pentax 28/3.5 Shift on the K5-IIs was already FF 42mm and, although excellent all the way into the corners, certainly not wide enough.

Kind regards.
No, there are none that i know. Some years ago, may be when the E-M5 was issued (?), 4/3 rumors or DPreview made a poll concerning the questions the MFT community would see answered by Olympus on a sheduled interview. A video of it was made. When asked about whether they would issue a shift lens, the Japanese Olympus official coughed out of surprise, apparently judging such a question completely absurd. So i have few hopes concerning the issuing of such a lens.

Personnally i would prefer a shift lens to an F1 lens.. But i fear we are in the minority : the majority of photo enthusiasts frequenting forums asks for extreme wa, extreme tele and the fastest apertures possible, without forgetting the highest resolution sensors, the highest iso capable bodies etc. It is almost a specification competition, without questionning the real usage value of such extreme specifications.

mbroomfield

There might be a way to get 12 or 15mm shift on m43. I've done this with 12mm on the Sony Nex. I don't know how much play (for shifting) you'd get with the smaller opening on the m4/3 though.

Voigtlander released 12mm and 15mm UWA lenses with the same optics as the LTM and early M mounts that we use now, but with a Nikon F mount. The rear element extends WAY back behind the mount of course and could only be used on Nikon bodies that allowed permanent mirror lockup. Lens details here;
"Voigtlander SL 12/5.6 and 15/4.5 Aspherical Lenses for Nikon F/F2 Mirror Lockup"
https://cameraquest.com/VCSL1215.htm

So by using this lens in combination with a shift only Nikon-m4/3 adapter should allow you to shift the lens. Example of the adapter;
Kipon Shift Adapter for Nikon F Lens to Micro 4 3 Mount M43 GF1 GF3 OM D PL3 GX1 | eBay

I have this combo for use on a Nex body. The big issue is colour cast and vignetting. Both pretty bad but correctable if you don't mind some PP and might be a less on the m4/3. A couple of examples;

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

Like the Fotodiox the Kipon T/S adapter will not fit the EM1 and EM5 due to the top bulge. I returned mine.
I will repeat myself with pictures :D

My Fotodiox shift adapter offers 2x 10mm of shift, you can change the orientation from horizontal shift (panorama) to vertical shift (for architecture) and, it does fit on both the E-M1 and E-M5.
I bought mine some 2-3 years ago, so it may be different from what they sell now.

Here's a picture clearly showing you have ca 5mm left between the adapter at max vertical shift towards the bulge of the E-M1

and this is a 3-shot vertical pano I shot using the -10 / 0 / +10 positions and stitched in PS

However, close inspection of details in the background show that there is a (slight) problem with infinity focus. It could be overcome by shooting at a smaller opening.

C U,
Rafael