The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Let's talk about tilt&shift ...

gebseng

Voigtlander released 12mm and 15mm UWA lenses with the same optics as the LTM and early M mounts that we use now, but with a Nikon F mount. The rear element extends WAY back behind the mount of course and could only be used on Nikon bodies that allowed permanent mirror lockup. Lens details here;
"Voigtlander SL 12/5.6 and 15/4.5 Aspherical Lenses for Nikon F/F2 Mirror Lockup"
https://cameraquest.com/VCSL1215.htm
Here is first hand experience from Gareth Gardner on that idea:
The world’s smallest view camera? | GARETH GARDNER

Unfortunately, the SL 12/5.6 in F mount seems not to be available on ebay.

Another thread on dpreview.com:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3024501#forum-post-38765097

best,

Geb

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

I'm on the same track, with the same adapter as Gareth Gardner : the old Fotodiox fits well on the OM-bodies, but does not focus to infinity, at least with some of my lenses and wide open.

So today, I went for a walk in my favorite park, armed with my E-M1 on which I had installed the Fotodiox adapter with an old Nikkor 20/3.5 UD lens, opened to f8. On a light Manfrotto monopod for easy walking ...

I shot 3 different 3-shot pano's, 2 vertical ones, and one horizontal. And also 1 2-shot vertical ... All came out near-perfect

Here they are ...

While I was at it, I also used my cheap tilt adapter for Nikkor lenses.

This is with the 24/2 and almost maximum tilt :

With these two adapters, I consider my back covered ;)

C U,
Rafael​

Knorp

No, there are none that i know. Some years ago, may be when the E-M5 was issued (?), 4/3 rumors or DPreview made a poll concerning the questions the MFT community would see answered by Olympus on a sheduled interview. A video of it was made. When asked about whether they would issue a shift lens, the Japanese Olympus official coughed out of surprise, apparently judging such a question completely absurd. So i have few hopes concerning the issuing of such a lens.

Personnally i would prefer a shift lens to an F1 lens.. But i fear we are in the minority : the majority of photo enthusiasts frequenting forums asks for extreme wa, extreme tele and the fastest apertures possible, without forgetting the highest resolution sensors, the highest iso capable bodies etc. It is almost a specification competition, without questionning the real usage value of such extreme specifications.
Hi Annna,

to me that pretty well seals the chance of having a native T/S lens.
Admittedly, I'm guilty too for wanting long tele and fast aperture lenses ... :eek:

But hey, why can't we just have it all ? Like the bigger formats ?
What's wrong with those μ43 lens-bakers ?

All the very best.

mbroomfield

Yes, it took a long time before I got an ebay hit for the 15mm and I never got a hit for the 12mm while I had an active search. Both are pretty scarce.

Here is first hand experience from Gareth Gardner on that idea:
The world’s smallest view camera? | GARETH GARDNER

Unfortunately, the SL 12/5.6 in F mount seems not to be available on ebay.

Another thread on dpreview.com:
M43 shift adapter and voigtlander 12mm lens: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

best,

Geb

gebseng

I will repeat myself with pictures :D

My Fotodiox shift adapter offers 2x 10mm of shift, you can change the orientation from horizontal shift (panorama) to vertical shift (for architecture) and, it does fit on both the E-M1 and E-M5.
I bought mine some 2-3 years ago, so it may be different from what they sell now.

Here's a picture clearly showing you have ca 5mm left between the adapter at max vertical shift towards the bulge of the E-M1
Hi Rafael, that sound intriguing! Would you mind posting some close ups of the adapter, maybe I can find one of these used on ebay. The new one definitively does not work, I even contacted Fotodiox for confirmation.

best,

Gebhard

Lars

Waking up this thread... Lots of tilt/shift adapters for m43, I'm looking at one for Nikon G lenses (aperture slider necessary).

I have a Nikon 12-24/4 G DX zoom that could be quite interesting as a tilt/shift lens for the m43 format. It resolves well on my D810, and covering DX it should handle some shift on m43. In addition the image circle extends quite a bit outside DX, and even more so when zooming in so it should allow for some pretty aggressive shifts. Whether the camera sensor can handle that is of course another matter.

There is one under the Kipon brand on Amazon. Any experiences with such adapters?
-Lars

Last edited:

mbroomfield

As I mentioned above beware of the incompatibility of the Kipon tilt-shift adapter with EM bodies with a top bulge. The shift only is OK.

Edit, this was a while ago, about a year, and a non-G adapter .. just in case they've updated it or there is a difference with the Nik-G adapter

Attachments

gebseng

I have a Nikon 12-24/4 G DX zoom that could be quite interesting as a tilt/shift lens for the m43 format. It resolves well on my D810, and covering DX it should handle some shift on m43. In addition the image circle extends quite a bit outside DX, and even more so when zooming in so it should allow for some pretty aggressive shifts. Whether the camera sensor can handle that is of course another matter.

-Lars
How would you control focus and aperture with this adapter? AFAIK it only gives you a mechanical connection.

best,

geb

Lars

Re: Let's talk about tilt&shift ...

How would you control focus and aperture with this adapter? AFAIK it only gives you a mechanical connection.

best,

geb
There's a tilt/shift adapter with an aperture lever (but no aperture scale), and Nikon lenses do have a focusing ring, so it should work. Perhaps you were thinking of the Panasonic kit lens?

- - - Updated - - -

As I mentioned above beware of the incompatibility of the Kipon tilt-shift adapter with EM bodies with a top bulge. The shift only is OK.

Edit, this was a while ago, about a year, and a non-G adapter .. just in case they've updated it or there is a difference with the Nik-G adapter
Thanks for the heads up - I have a GM5 which has a flat front as well as a protruding lens mount so it should be ideal for shift.