The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 kit lens entrance pupil

sangio

Hi Folks;

I've recently joined this forum because it seems much friendlier than some of the others. It also has a nice blend of gear talk and images.

I just finished testing the G1 14-45 kit lens to find the entrance pupil at various focal lengths for pano stitching. Surprisingly, at least to me, is that the entrance pupil hardly moved at all between 14 and 35 mm FL. It stayed around 55 mm from the tripod socket. When zoomed out fully to 45 mm FL, it moved about 10 mm closer to the camera.

I'm not sure these results are correct. By comparison, when I did this with the Sony R1 lens, I found a noticeable shift as the lens was zoomed, and ended up with 6 different settings between its 14.3 and 71.5 mm focal length.

Has anyone calibrated their 14-45 lens for pano stitching? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
Santo

monza

That's interesting. I can't help as I haven't tried panos yet, but want to. What bracket/pan head is that?

kweide

Until now i made all nearly all my pano without panohead or bracket. So where is this from...i think i need one of that...
Anyone out for Nodal Point Infotable for all Zuiko glasses ???

sangio

Hi folks:

That pano head is a Nodal Ninja 3 MkII. I've been very happy with this purchase.

Here's a link to their main website....

http://www.nodalninja.com/index.html

I bought the NN 3 kit from the Canadian reseller for 320 CDN$, about 200 Euros. They have several resellers in Europe and the US.

Panoramic photography is VERY addictive. I've attached one of the first panos I made with the G1. The original stitched image has a horizontal field of view of about 200 degress, and is 4000 x 13,000 pixels in size. It was made from 8 vertical captures with the kit lens at 14 mm focal length.

Unfortunately, downsizing it to 900 pixels wide really messes it up, but it will give you an idea of what the original looks like.

regards
Santo

Diane B

At one time I considered the Nodal Ninja but ended up with an RRS package (I've been unable to find it on their site right now), but it works well with the 5D, but I've been doing flat stitch panos with a TS lens. Guess I'll have to go back to the rail--which necessitates finding the nodal (actually entrance pupil) point and going from there.

Diane

sangio

At one time I considered the Nodal Ninja but ended up with an RRS package (I've been unable to find it on their site right now), but it works well with the 5D, but I've been doing flat stitch panos with a TS lens. Guess I'll have to go back to the rail--which necessitates finding the nodal (actually entrance pupil) point and going from there.

Diane
I looked at the RRS setup as well. Their products are very well engineered and fabricated. It looks a bit sturdier than the NN. In the end, I went with the NN 3 because it's much smaller and lighter, only 474 grams, about 1 lb. It's always in my camera bag.

regards
Santo

monza

For either the RRS, or the NN, what would be a good tripod? I'd be using the lightweight G1.

Diane B

I won't recommend a tripod--I could use a lighter one, but I'll live with what I use for now. I do like my Markins ballhead but using it necessitates more time leveling. I don't have the full pano (with pano base, etc.) but use the MPR Precision Plus package http://reallyrightstuff.com/pano/03.html which is nice for multiple shots for macro also. I haven't done panos with this setup for awhile--been using a TS lens/flat stitch with a 5D, but think I'll refresh my knowledge and try some with the G1. I notice that you can use the G1 vertically with the NN--with the setup I have, I can't without an L bracket for the G1 (or not easily). I wonder if anyone will ever make an L for the G1--I really do like them for tripod work.

Diane

sangio

For either the RRS, or the NN, what would be a good tripod? I'd be using the lightweight G1.
I'm using a Velbon 535 CF tripod with good results. It weighs less than 3 lb including a Manfrotto ballhead. Velbon have a full range of CF tripods.

http://www.velbon.co.uk/newvelbon/pages/procftrpods.html

The folks at Fanotec, the Nodal Ninja people, seem to like the Slik Sprint Pro, but I don't have any experience with it.

And if you have the budget, you can't go wrong with a Gitzo tripod.

regards
Santo

sangio

I won't recommend a tripod--I could use a lighter one, but I'll live with what I use for now. I do like my Markins ballhead but using it necessitates more time leveling. I don't have the full pano (with pano base, etc.) but use the MPR Precision Plus package http://reallyrightstuff.com/pano/03.html which is nice for multiple shots for macro also. I haven't done panos with this setup for awhile--been using a TS lens/flat stitch with a 5D, but think I'll refresh my knowledge and try some with the G1. I notice that you can use the G1 vertically with the NN--with the setup I have, I can't without an L bracket for the G1 (or not easily). I wonder if anyone will ever make an L for the G1--I really do like them for tripod work.

Diane
Hi Diane:

I agree, an L bracket would be very convenient for tripod work. I haven't been able to find a custom L bracket for the G1, I think it's too new. I've seen some generic brackets at RRS and Kirk that might work.
However, looking at the camera, I think an L bracket would prevent you from opening the LCD fully, so I probably won't be getting one.

regards
Santo

Terry

Charlie,
I was looking at that gigapan setup earlier in the week. I was wondering if anyone has tried it. Perhaps I will post in the gear section to get a broader audience.

Diane B

Hi Diane:

I've seen some generic brackets at RRS and Kirk that might work.
However, looking at the camera, I think an L bracket would prevent you from opening the LCD fully, so I probably won't be getting one.

regards
Santo
I suspect you are right. I looked at it carefully and its unlikely that anyone is going to make an L for it. I found one of my flat plates--an almost 'just right' Wimberley plate I use with it--I have to carry an Allen wrench because it just slightly overlaps the battery door, but otherwise its good.

Diaine