The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best Oly/Panny tele sooms?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I have been looking at the following lenses, with the primary intended use being video:

Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 35-100mm f/4.0-5.6 ASPH. MEGA O.I.S.

Panasonic Lumix G 45-150mm f/4-5.6 OIS

Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4-5.6 ASPH OIS.

I don't need superzooms for my work; I have other cameras using primes shooting in sync for these angles.

So—what have I missed in the 35/45–100/200 range? I will be in Singapore in a few hours, and have two days to find and buy! TIA, KL

Knorp

Hi there Kit,

as I'm not in video I have no clue what might be important.
All I know is that I was pretty much amazed about the very smooth 'oily-slick' zooming action of the older type Pana 14-140 HD lens.

Note. in fact I find the much praised 40-150/2.8-PRO is not even close !

So if no one can advise you timely and smooth zooming is important, I'd say you have to try the lenses in the shop ... sorry :eek:

Kind regards.

mazor

It really depends on what wide angle lenses you have to really gauge whether a 35 or 45mm at the wide end is more suitable. I know I would prefer to have a having more tele 150mm in a lens as it will allow for greater reach for times where you cannot get closer ;)

jianghai

Definitely try the Olympus 40-150 2.8 out. Quality is really up there, plus the 2.8 aperture is great. Doesn't have OIS though, would have to rely on IBIS or steadycam.

mazor

the 40-150 pro with no ibis would need to be on a static tripod or steady rig. better keep to the OIS panys I think. If fast aperture in that tele zoom range is required one can consider the pany 35-100 f2.8.

Annna T

I have been looking at the following lenses, with the primary intended use being video:

Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 35-100mm f/4.0-5.6 ASPH. MEGA O.I.S.

Panasonic Lumix G 45-150mm f/4-5.6 OIS

Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4-5.6 ASPH OIS.

I don't need superzooms for my work; I have other cameras using primes shooting in sync for these angles.

So—what have I missed in the 35/45–100/200 range? I will be in Singapore in a few hours, and have two days to find and buy! TIA, KL

You could have a look at the DXO camera/lens comparator

Lens scoring versus Optical Metrics - DxOMark

Note that this is an interactive webpage : you have to select the camera you are using in the right frame and then the type of lenses you want to look at.

(Sorry, I can't offer you a clickable link, since each time I click on the appropriate icon above the editing window that will crash Safari on my iPad)

Edit : the link became clickable all by himself.. So may be that is why clicking on the link/icon now crashes the browser and reinitializes the editor window.

f6cvalkyrie

Hi, Kit,

I have both the Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4-5.6 ASPH OIS and the 45-200mm f4-5.6

For video, the "fly by wire" zoom function of the 45-175 is a big plus. It's also compact and light ... IQ more than enough for Full HD, don't know for 4K ???
Both lenses have IS built in.

For me : the 45-175 !

CU,
Rafael