The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EM5 i, ii, and EM1 focus questions?

BradA

Is CAF on the E-M5ii substantially improved versus the original? And I'm assuming SAF in the E-M5ii and E-M1 are very similar and that both are better than the original E-M5. My E-M5 needs to go to the shop and I'm struggling to decide between the ii and the E-M1 as a new upgrade. Things about both I really like. Leaning towards ordering a used E-M1. Thanks.

Annna T

Is CAF on the E-M5ii substantially improved versus the original? And I'm assuming SAF in the E-M5ii and E-M1 are very similar and that both are better than the original E-M5. My E-M5 needs to go to the shop and I'm struggling to decide between the ii and the E-M1 as a new upgrade. Things about both I really like. Leaning towards ordering a used E-M1. Thanks.
I don't see much difference between the E-M5 and the E-M5II when it comes to focusing, but I use mainly SAF and never really tested CAF.

From what I have read, the E-M1 is better for CAF, because it makes use of both PDAF and CDAF when you are using CAF, even with native MFT lenses. For someone owning FT lenses, the E-M1 will work much better than the E-M5II.

mazor

sorry not sure about the C-AF comparison between the EM5 and the EM5ii, but I have tested the EM1 and the E-M5ii in the camera shop and the difference is quite substantial. While the E-M5ii would take half a second to acquire lock when the subject focused was moved closer or further, the E-M1 would be literally tracking the subject real time and did not miss focus at all.

The CAF on the E-M1 firmware 3.0 has improved the camera to a point where C-AF can be used for S-AF type of work if needed. The speed at which the lens moves into focus is almost the same as using a proper DSLR phase sensor. There is no hesitation, no racking back and forth. Literally the moment you half press the shutter, the lens knows exactly where to go and moves in the correct direction. There is no overshooting the focused subject either, which makes for very positive responsive AF experience.