Site Sponsors

Thread: G1 Firmware version 1.2

kiloran

G1 Firmware version 1.2

Newly available from

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...fts/index.html

Improved auto white balance performance (yay) amongst other things...

ajuett

Re: G1 Firmware version 1.2

Thanks for the heads up kiloran. I'll install it tonight.

Looks like Panasonic didn't close their Firmware plant

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know, is there somewhere a description of what has been improved?
    Peter Werner
    Leica M8, R9+DMR & Digilux 2; Nikon D700; Panasonic FX01, FX150 & G1; Samsung TL350 (WB 2000)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petermcwerner View Post
    Good to know, is there somewhere a description of what has been improved?
    From the download site:

Performances in the Auto White Balance and the color reproduction were improved.
    A reliability on the flash operation in low temperature environments were improved.
    File write back from PC to the camera was enabled also for the models shipped for Europe.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just updated , went fine. Have to play later
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Updated mine, all went well, cant see anything to report though.

Mark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

At least it looks like there's a commitment to improving the firmware on a reasonably frequent basis... I'm holding my breath for the fast MF assist mode!

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Yup, when I checked about 20 minutes later it had reappeared, so I deleted my post about it disappearing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

updated my 2 bodies just now, no problems.

wblynch

Good ! Because white balance is one of my complaints.

doubledan

Help, please!

You all seem to have installed the G1 firmware updates without any trouble, but I'm stuck at a certain point, probably because I'm only the equivalent of a semi-literate when it comes to computers.

I followed the Panasonic site, made sure my sd card was formatted, and saved the update to Desktop. But then I couldn't find a way to run it. Windows said something to the effect that it couldn't tell where the thing had come from, and couldn't find the source online either, and also would not open it on any of various places (like documents) that I tried.

I suspect there's something basic I simply don't know about creating new folders and saving stuff to them. So if any of you kind folk could take the time to walk me through this procedure in PC-for-Dummies style, I'd be most grateful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

if you have the update on your sd card, then insert the card into your camera, then turn on the camera, set it for photo review and you should see a menu on the screen, hit yes and the camera will do the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: "Unpacking" Firmware on Windows

Quote Originally Posted by doubledan View Post
    ... and saved the update to Desktop. But then I couldn't find a way to run it.
    I suspect there's something basic I simply don't know about creating new folders and saving stuff to them.
    OK. You're on your Desktop. Now right click anywhere on it that's free and last but one on the list that comes up (above "Properties") put your mouse over "New" and an arrow pops out with more options - the top one being "File"; click on it and name it "G1" for instance. Then double click on the file you've downloaded from Panasonic and as it's zipped it will ask you where you want to unzip it; say "Desktop - G1". Then take that file that's 8705 Kb in size and called "G1___120" and follow the rest of the instructions. Basically these are to copy and paste (or drag) this "G1___120" file onto the SD card next to where the other two files are usually i.e. what they call the root file. Put the card in the camera and follow the instructions -important: although they say the camera won't accept an update unless the battery's fully charged don't risk it and charge that battery first!

doubledan

Quote Originally Posted by back alley View Post
    if you have the update on your sd card, then insert the card into your camera, then turn on the camera, set it for photo review and you should see a menu on the screen, hit yes and the camera will do the rest.
    Thanks, but nope, it isn't on the sd card. As I think about this, I shouldn't be imposing on you any further; I should be arranging a hands-on tutorial from an IT guy I know -- my son.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Believe me your not imposing on anyone here. We all love to help when we can. We have great members that love to share.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by doubledan View Post
    Thanks, but nope, it isn't on the sd card. As I think about this, I shouldn't be imposing on you any further; I should be arranging a hands-on tutorial from an IT guy I know -- my son.
    you need to move it from your computer on to your sd card.
    there are different ways to do that. i think mine was just a click and drag affair.

doubledan

Re: "Unpacking" Firmware on Windows

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    OK. You're on your Desktop. Now right click anywhere on it that's free and last but one on the list that comes up (above "Properties") put your mouse over "New" and an arrow pops out with more options - the top one being "File"; click on it and name it "G1" for instance. Then double click on the file you've downloaded from Panasonic and as it's zipped it will ask you where you want to unzip it; say "Desktop - G1". Then take that file that's 8705 Kb in size and called "G1___120" and follow the rest of the instructions. Basically these are to copy and paste (or drag) this "G1___120" file onto the SD card next to where the other two files are usually i.e. what they call the root file. Put the card in the camera and follow the instructions -important: although they say the camera won't accept an update unless the battery's fully charged don't risk it and charge that battery first!
    Thanks to all for being so helpful. This post from m3photo looks like the completion of the way I was trying to do it, so I'll continue on that path with some confidence that it will work. Not right now, though, as I must get some work done. Will post an update later (triumphant, I hope) to let you know how it turned out. Meanwhile, I'm really happy to have learned what a nice group of people you are.

Dan

doubledan

Update on installing G1 firmware:

Yes, I did. Having digested the helpful advice offered in this thread, I returned to the task this evening with a clearer head and saw at once that I had been complicating things by adding pointless extra steps. I won't bore you with the details; instead, I'll bore you with an anecdote that seems to fit the situation.

I once worked as a contract writer for a New York magazine, where a copy editor had printed up a sign with the quote: "All art but doth consist in deletion." At the bottom of which, someone had not been able to resist adding, in marking pen: ". . . as it were."

Thanks again for your help and encouragement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you guys .

With this threads information , I could successfully upgrade the body firmware to version 1.2 . A fully loaded battery had enough power to do the upgrade . No problem at all .
    I am using the NOVOFLEX adapter and KONICA HEXAR lenses 28mm , 50mm and 90mm . I am waiting for the VOIGTLÄNDER COLOR SKOPAR 21mm PANCAKE II , (with an AOV of 90 degrees) to arrive .

Jürgen

Post Thanks / Like

So, this is why my LCD won't stay zoomed when MFing.