The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

mZuiko 14-150 mkll lens

dhsimmonds

I wonder if anyone else here has tried the new 14-150 Mk ll lens yet.

Whilst it is not quite in the same league as the Pro lenses at a starting aperture of just F4, it is weatherproof and like the Pro lenses it ships with a lens hood! :thumbup:

I used the older 14-150 for many years and found it capable of making good images in the right light and is also a superb travel lens. The Oly rep. has advised that the new lens has had a complete re-vamp and is now optically improved as well as being fully weatherproof.......again perfect for travelling or just walking about. I traded my old 14-150 for it's replacement, it takes the same size filter.

Annna T

I wonder if anyone else here has tried the new 14-150 Mk ll lens yet.

Whilst it is not quite in the same league as the Pro lenses at a starting aperture of just F4, it is weatherproof and like the Pro lenses it ships with a lens hood! :thumbup:

I used the older 14-150 for many years and found it capable of making good images in the right light and is also a superb travel lens. The Oly rep. has advised that the new lens has had a complete re-vamp and is now optically improved as well as being fully weatherproof.......again perfect for travelling or just walking about. I traded my old 14-150 for it's replacement, it takes the same size filter.
From what I have read about that lens, the image IQ is the same as for the previous one; the biggest change concerns the weather proof finish and the addition of a new coating in order to reduce flare. And may be a better AF, at least more silent. Alas I don't remember where I read that. Anyway, I don't think it is a complete revamp of version one.

May be check 43rumors and dpreview to find more about that version two : this is were I lurk and probably where I found more info on that lens.

Here is what you can read about that lens at DPreview : Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm F4-5.6 II: Digital Photography Review

Olympus 14-150mm F4.0-5.6 II offers cosmetic improvements and optical coatings: Digital Photography Review

Reading the Olympus release, I don't think it is a complete revamp.

dhsimmonds

From what I have read about that lens, the image IQ is the same as for the previous one; the biggest change concerns the weather proof finish and the addition of a new coating in order to reduce flare. And may be a better AF, at least more silent. Alas I don't remember where I read that. Anyway, I don't think it is a complete revamp of version one.

May be check 43rumors and dpreview to find more about that version two : this is were I lurk and probably where I found more info on that lens.

Here is what you can read about that lens at DPreview : Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm F4-5.6 II: Digital Photography Review

Olympus 14-150mm F4.0-5.6 II offers cosmetic improvements and optical coatings: Digital Photography Review

Reading the Olympus release, I don't think it is a complete revamp.
Yes I think that you are right, it focuses and feels the same lens. I would say that the focusing is quicker perhaps but the lens coatings and lens hood are worth the upgrade anyway! Incidentally, the trade in price for the old one was quite good, especially as I bought it used at a good price!

It is a very useful lightweight lens with a superb zoom range, so useful for travel and even street photography. The lens hood parks nicely in reverse on the lens when not using it too!

Annna T

Yes I think that you are right, it focuses and feels the same lens. I would say that the focusing is quicker perhaps but the lens coatings and lens hood are worth the upgrade anyway! Incidentally, the trade in price for the old one was quite good, especially as I bought it used at a good price!

It is a very useful lightweight lens with a superb zoom range, so useful for travel and even street photography. The lens hood parks nicely in reverse on the lens when not using it too!
Ha ! I read your mail too fast and missed the anyone "else" word, so didn't realize that you had already got it. Sounds like you made a good deal. I'm happy for you.

jonoslack

Damn already
I guess I'll have to buy one as well - always liked the old version . . . Emma's E-M10 arrives today (her choice) and it's the obvious lens for her to use when travelling.

I didn't realise the new lens was weathersealed . .

dhsimmonds

Damn already
I guess I'll have to buy one as well - always liked the old version . . . Emma's E-M10 arrives today (her choice) and it's the obvious lens for her to use when travelling.

I didn't realise the new lens was weathersealed . .
Hi Jono

Yes it is weather sealed and ships with a Pro type lens hood. For travelling it is light, compact and a lens for almost every eventuality, even close focusing but it is no macro, all providing you get good light. As I only ever travel to warmer, sunnier climes, it suits me well enough.