The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M4/3 bodies: Wealth of Choice, Quandry for Me

Godfrey

Maximum 2 lenses of which one is the 75mm and one a macro... then the other should be the PanaLeica 45mm Macro. I haven't owned it, but it's supposed to be excellent. The Zuiko 60mm Macro is too close in focal length to the 75mm if you ask me. I would add the Zuiko 25mm too. It's relatively inexpensive at $350, and only 136g.
The Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8 ASPH is indeed excellent. 1:1 with internal focusing, beautiful wide open to fully stopped down. It's my most-used lens.

Given some of rayyan's comments in another thread, the 75 paired with it and a 25mm would be a perfect kit. I know it's three lenses rather than two, but it hits all the numbers.

Panasonic has a new 30mm f/2.8 macro out too. That and the 75 would also be a good pairing from the focal lengths, but I have no experience with the 30mm lens.

G

rayyan

What a wonderful bunch of folks here at GetDPI.:salute:

Thank you kindly, for your suggestions. Now to work out where it would be the cheapest for me. States or the UK ( I don't pay Vat= 20% off ).

Gracias folks. Big Gracias.

JBurnett

I have a perspective which may be useful; I have owned three m4/3 cameras, a Lumix GF-1 (stolen with a 50mm Pentax-M f/1.7), a Lumix G3 (under-appreciated I reckon) and an Olympus E-M5 (not mkII). First two were bought used from eBAY, and the E-M5 purchased new in February for $499 AU with the 14–42 kit lens (since sold for $130 making the cost of the E-M5 a reasonable $370).

I wasn’t all that happy with the GF-1 due to poor high ISO results and the lack of a viewfinder. The G3 was much better, but the Olympus E-M5 is better again.

I have set it up so that focus is activated by the front Function button and ISO by the back Function button. I use program exposure auto, with the combination of shutter speed and aperture adjustable from the rear control wheel, and EV over- and under-exposure controlled by the front wheel. So I don’t have to dive into menus very often. Didn’t take long to set it up to my liking, but I used online articles to help me.

The anti-shake lets me shoot hand-held down to about an eighth-of-a-second with a roughly 50–50 success rate (I am 63 and getting a bit less steady over time).

I use a number of 4/3 lenses—the 50mm macro is superb, as are the 14–54 and the 11–22, all very useable wide-open. I also have a 20mm Lumix which is pretty good.

HTH.
Great to learn that even the original e-M5 can be considered a step up for a G3 owner. I've been putting off upgrades because specs alone don't tell me if an upgrade might be considered significant (for me, of course). But the latest crop of cameras do beckon!

JBurnett

HI John
Well, I've had all the Olympus cameras - right now Emma uses an E-M10, and I have an E-M1 and an E-M5 mark ii

Get the E-M5 mark ii - it's just a wonderful sorted camera - nicer and quieter than the E-M1 with better IBIS, high res mode - just lovely

Go For It!
Ah, interesting! Sounds like, for you, the E-M5 II trumps the E-M1. It's certainly getting good reviews.

Of course, none of this comes free of charge or change. I've been avoiding getting into the Adobe cloud, but will just have to bite THAT bullet, too, if I want to use Lightroom for the E-M5II. The E-M1 and E-M10 are supported by LR 5.7 (my current version) but not the E-M5 II... unless I've misread.

Annna T

Ah, interesting! Sounds like, for you, the E-M5 II trumps the E-M1. It's certainly getting good reviews.

Of course, none of this comes free of charge or change. I've been avoiding getting into the Adobe cloud, but will just have to bite THAT bullet, too, if I want to use Lightroom for the E-M5II. The E-M1 and E-M10 are supported by LR 5.7 (my current version) but not the E-M5 II... unless I've misread.
You don't necessarily need to pay the subscription for the cloud. LR6 can be updated from previous versions, or bought as a standalone program and its price has gone down with respect to the first versions. But you have to look closer at the Adobe shop if you want to buy the complete standalone license, it is well hidden.

I have Photoshop CS6 whose Camera Raw get updated for the last cameras and LR6 and they work well together (Didn't want to get into the monthly cloud subscription either). If you have a previous version of PS, you can still work with only LR6, but the changes you have made using newer tools won't be transferred to PS. That's all.

Godfrey

Go to
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page. In the right hand corner box you'll see "Lightroom 6 for desktop only. Mobile capabilities not includes" in a box. Clicking "Buy Now" in that box nets the standalone version for $149, full package. On that page click "I want to buy" and pick "Upgrade". Now click "I own" and pick LR 5 ... upgrade price is $79.

Once you download and install LR 6, then go to the Update menu and get the update ... current version is LR 6.1.

Easy... :)

The E-M5II is definitely Olympus' most current hardware on the camera side and has the improvements to the stabilization system that enable the ultra-high-res mode, but I prefer the ergonomics of the E-M1. They keep shipping improvements to the E-M1 as well, firmware v3.1 which came out recently includes another "Live Boost 2" mode that enables you to see in very very low light, finally you can focus on stars for astronomical photography with the EVF.

Plus, the E-M1 is the natural pick if you want to take advantage of the FourThirds SLR lenses. I still have my favorite ZD 11-22/2.8-3.5, 35 Macro, and 50-200/2.8-3.5 lenses ... :)

G

mediumcool

A lone voice extolling Capture One; it even supports 4/3 lenses such as the 11–22, 14–54 and 50/2 Macro!

Knorp

But for Panasonic CO support just 5 lenses. Five !
I suppose the Pannies are in no need of any correction whatsoever ... :rolleyes:

donbga

I love my E-M1 along my 12-40. The prices for this camera have dropped to not too much more than a new G7.

The menu complexity has been way over hyped IMO, and frankly the camera is very usable out of the box. However there are many features not found on other m4/3s and get acquainted with those takes some practice.

You may find the body a little larger than what you are used to.

Having said all that I would definitely recommend the E-M1 or the new E-M5 II. Both are very well sorted out cams. especially if video isn't important to you as it isn't to me.

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

But for Panasonic CO support just 5 lenses. Five !
I suppose the Pannies are in no need of any correction whatsoever ... :rolleyes:
I can be wrong, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the corrections for Panasonic lenses are "baked into the picture file"
Could that be the reason ?

C U
Rafael

mediumcool

I can be wrong, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the corrections for Panasonic lenses are "baked into the picture file"

Rafael
Here is something I prepared earlier:

This RW2 file from a Panasonic G3/20mm f/1.7 is shown (left-to-right):

1) imported into Capture One with Generic profile

2) imported with Manufacturer profile

3) imported with C1’s inbuilt profile for the 20mm

The third panel has had moderate vignetting applied, Color [sic] balance modifications in shadows and mid-tones, some HDR, low percentage LCC, rotation and skewing. Sharpness falloff set to 120% (this setting unavailable with #2’s Manufacturer profile). The bitumen on the road surface is approximately grey.

For some reason I must have applied some vignetting to #2 but can’t be buggered doing that one again. :D

Additional note: the Zuikos don’t permit a Manufacturer profile—you have to specify a profile from the drop-down menu.

Last edited:

rayyan

Back in a quandary. With Fuji announcing the over 500gms/ 90mm lens, I am struggling.

A new system and lenses or a heavy but, according to initial reports, another
Super lens from Fuji. The shallower dof is welcome too c.f the Olympus 75/1.8

Knorp

C U
Rafael
Could be, Raf. But I'm puzzled by the ones that are 'supported':

Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm F2.8 ASPH. POWER O.I.S.
Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II ASPH. MEGA O.I.S.
Panasonic LUMIX G 14mm F2.5 ASPH.
Panasonic LUMIX G 20mm F1.7 ASPH.
Panasonic LEICA DG SUMMILUX 25mm / F1.4 ASPH

Kind regards.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Back in a quandary. With Fuji announcing the over 500gms/ 90mm lens, I am struggling.

A new system and lenses or a heavy but, according to initial reports, another
Super lens from Fuji. The shallower dof is welcome too c.f the Olympus 75/1.8
Such lenses like this Fuji 90mm were finally the kick for me to leave Fuji completely and just stay with Olympus for mirrorless. In the end what mirrorless should bring to me is a more portable and lighter system, which was no longer given when looking at the latest Fuji lens releases. What does it help to have the smallest and lightest camera bodies, as long as lenses get larger and heavier and do no longer offer a significant size and weight advantage over FF.

So I finally decided to stay just with Olympus EM1 and some selected Olympus m43 PRO lenses for mirrorless and parallel run my FF Nikon system based on the Df and some selected Nikkor primes, including some great older manual Nikkor lenses, which one can buy relatively cheap in these day's.

And man - how happy I am!

JBurnett

I want to thank everyone for their opinions and help. I have an E-M5 Mk ii on order, along with the ECG-2 grip/arca-swiss L-bracket. I'm hoping that the ECG-2 helps with hand-holding (yes, the E-M1 would have been superior for that); I use an arca-swiss head on my tripod, so I would be mounting an arca QR plate anyway. The L-bracket is a bonus to me.

I occasionally go through spurts of still-life studies (particularly when it gets cold and miserable in the Canadian winters), so I hope to do some playing with the high-res mode.

JBurnett

Re: New OM-D E-M5 Mk II -- DR

I've now had time to take my E-M5 Mk II on a couple of outings. ONE of my goals with this upgrade from my G3 was to see a reasonable increase in dynamic range. The following shot was taken handheld into the sun at base ISO, then processed in Lightroom (and a bit of PS 'cause I'm still faster with that). Sure, it's not a D810 file. And, to some of you, this is old hat, I suppose. But, to say that I'm pleased with what I could pull out of this file would be an understatement.

What the RAW looked like:

And here's what I was able to produce with very little effort (yes, overboard, but I wanted to see how far I could go).

Godfrey

Re: New OM-D E-M5 Mk II -- DR

I've now had time to take my E-M5 Mk II on a couple of outings. ONE of my goals with this upgrade from my G3 was to see a reasonable increase in dynamic range. The following shot was taken handheld into the sun at base ISO, then processed in Lightroom (and a bit of PS 'cause I'm still faster with that). Sure, it's not a D810 file. And, to some of you, this is old hat, I suppose. But, to say that I'm pleased with what I could pull out of this file would be an understatement. ...
Yes, it is amazing what can be pulled out of an exposure with today's cameras and image processing tools... !

G

mediumcool

John kindly sent me the RAW file to try processing in Capture One, my RAW converter of choice. I began by using layers, and got to four of them before saying to myself, ‘no—go quick ’n’ dirty using only the controls available’.

I have upgraded to C1 rev 8.3.1, so there is a generic profile for the Olympus E-M5 Mk II, which I used. Just under the profile setting (in the BASE CHARACTERISTICS tab) is the Curve pull-down—I chose Film Extra Shadow, which I do wherever there is significant shadow in the scene. [this tends to lower contrast, so I often use that control, and Clarity, to compensate]

EXPOSURE tab
Exposure +0.5
Saturation +30

HDR
Highlight 60
Shadow 20

CLARITY
Method “Natural”
Clarity +20
Structure +20

LENS tab
Sharpening @ default
12-35 Lumix lens correction
LCC Uniform light 20% (Color unchecked)
Vignetting –1.6

COMPOSITION tab
Keystone (straighten tower RHS)
Crop 3:4 ratio

Happy with the result given the time spent—no layers and no drawing of complicated masks! I particularly like the way that highlight compensation with HDR has darkened the sky whilst at the same time bringing up the overall brightness through exposure, LCC, and the shadow curve. There was a very minor adjustment made by clicking the white balance tool in the dark band across the sky just under the blue at the top of the frame.

This exercise has been instructive for me, as I tend to get a bit obsessive and can go over the top in my processing!

Elderly

As somebody who only enjoys taking the photograph and has little knowledge, patience or tools to post process (CS2 in a cupboard is as up-to-date as I get:grin:), mediumcool's post does inspire me:thumbup:.

However, as I find it almost impossible even to decide on something as simple as a new camera bag, choosing a raw processor would be nigh on impossible for me :banghead:.