The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M4/3 bodies: Wealth of Choice, Quandry for Me

mediumcool

As somebody who only enjoys taking the photograph and has little knowledge, patience or tools to post process (CS2 in a cupboard is as up-to-date as I get:grin:), mediumcool's post does inspire me:thumbup:.
I suppose I am a tad unusual, as I did not begin using computers to serve my photography; rather it was to learn typesetting (I was about forty and ’twas the early ’90s). I had been long interested in type and typesetting, and Macworld magazine was—at that time—a marvel of information (stories by Jim Heid and others accelerated my appreciation and knowledge muchly); the PC was nowhere near adequate for serious work. I had asked a friend who used an Amiga what was the best way to get immersed in the world of fonts and typesetting, and he recommended the before-the-return-of-Steve-Jobs Macintosh. I couldn’t afford a Mac for a while, so used an LC3 at South Australia’s State Library until I got a decently-paying project (the LC3 had a *feature* which provided 16-bit colour if the screen resolution was reduced to 640 x 400 pixels, a major step up from 8-bit!). I was in heaven when I bought an LC475 for just under $3000au in 1994. This has since returned to me after the second owner upgraded—maybe I could make a clock out of it?

However, as I find it almost impossible even to decide on something as simple as a new camera bag, choosing a raw processor would be nigh on impossible for me :banghead:.
Depending on your computer platform, there can be plenty of options for RAW processing (I don’t use Windows, so I don’t follow apps in that space). For basic image editing I prefer Pixelmator (Mac-only) over Photoshop (it hasn’t been a proper Mac program for years!) but subscribe to Ps because it does some things that Pm never will. If I wasn’t doing work that earns money (not often enough!) I would buy Iridient Developer (Mac-only), though it is nowhere as near as fast as C1 is for me. The new Mac-only Affinity Photo seems to be a good buy at under $50us; I will be looking to replacing Pm with it.

We live in exciting times; the tools, from camera to computer to software are getting better, and there is more choice.

Godfrey

As somebody who only enjoys taking the photograph and has little knowledge, patience or tools to post process (CS2 in a cupboard is as up-to-date as I get:grin:), mediumcool's post does inspire me:thumbup:.

However, as I find it almost impossible even to decide on something as simple as a new camera bag, choosing a raw processor would be nigh on impossible for me :banghead:.
It's much easier than you might think. On these forums, photographers obsess over nuances and details because that's what photographers do. While I do look at new image processing tools as they come around and sound interesting, since 2006 I've done 99% of all my image processing in Lightroom. All the little nuances that are debated to death make sense for the very specific demands by individual photographers and their work ... I take a broader brush, try to get my photos right in the camera, and use LR to manage and output it with greater or lesser (usually lesser) gentle tweaks.

Randomly pick any one of the well-supported image processing packages that supports the camera you want to use, forget the debates, learn the software and use it a lot. That's all that's needed. They all do a remarkably good job. :angel:

G

mmbma

Em5 was the game changer camera for me (and for m4/3 IMO). Em1, em5 2, em10, and em 10 2 that followed still have similar IQ and DR.

I would go for a em5 today because 1) the smaller form is the essence of m4/3, the em 1 with the enlarged grip is as big as a ASPC dslr or my A7s. 2) the much improved viewfinder is worth it on its own. If you are on a budget then I'd get a used EM5.

Lenses wise, I lean toward the pro line panasonic zooms since they are much smaller than their Olympus counterparts with 95% of the IQ. Also M4/3 means zooms for me as it is the camera i carry for convenience/travel/kids. I go to full frame and primes for any serious work so I didn't put any money into m4/3 primes. There are certainly many good prime lenses on the system but there are better ones @ larger format.

Finally, I never tried the panasonic cameras because the EM5s satisfied all my needs

Godfrey

Ooh, them’s fighting words! :p
:)

I'm on a cusp at the moment. I've been using FourThirds format for both personal and professional image making since 2007 and have a complete FT SLR and mFT mirrorless system at my disposal. The E-M1 and the Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/are welded together for all practical purposes ... I have done so much of my tabletop/product work with just that it's astonishing.

Yet, at the moment, of all the cameras I've got, the ones that are getting real use are my Leica X, Leica M-P, Leica M4-2, and Nikon F6, and of those mostly the M-P and the X. I'd use the Nikon more if it was digital. Why? I don't know ... I just like these cameras a lot, like how they work and how they feel in the hand, and I like the results they produce. Are the results significantly "better"? No. But using the cameras is the first necessity before getting good results, and if I always grab the M-P or the X, the E-M1 doesn't have much chance to compete.

I'm very likely to order a D750 (very similar size/weight/ergonomics as the F6) and put the whole kit of FourThirds format gear up for sale. And finish off what I started in The Great Reduction ... sell off everything except for the Leica kit, the Nikon kit, and a couple of specialty cameras (the Voigtländer Perkeo II, Hasselblad SWC, Minox EC and C, a Polaroids or three...).

Oh, the battles! :)

G

Made with iPhone 6

mediumcool

… the ones that are getting real use are my Leica X, Leica M-P, Leica M4-2, and Nikon F6, and of those mostly the M-P and the X.
I reckon that you are lost to us; what are the Asylum visiting hours, and will you be allowed to keep an Agfa Clack (no batteries needed, and it makes a satisfying “clack” noise)?

I'd use the Nikon more if it was digital.
I don’t miss film in the slightest, and it would not be practicable for paid work, given how both deadlines and fees have gone south—I’m glad that I’m pulling a disability pension!

BUT there’s a Noblex 120 panoramic camera at a local dealer under $1000—hmmm, time to sell the Pentax stuff? But then I’d have to get a reasonable scanner—my Epson Expression 1680 is not up to it). STOP IT! [shakes index finger at self]

… using the cameras is the first necessity …
I struggle quite a bit with the E-M5’s menu structure, less so with the Lumix G3’s. The Nikon FM remains my favourite camera operationally. Manual aperture and shutter; analogue needle. Simple.

… except for the Leica kit, the Nikon kit, and a couple of specialty cameras (the Voigtländer Perkeo II, Hasselblad SWC, Minox EC and C, a Polaroids or three...).
Done for! :D

ptomsu

Workshop Member

I'm on a cusp at the moment. I've been using FourThirds format for both personal and professional image making since 2007 and have a complete FT SLR and mFT mirrorless system at my disposal. The E-M1 and the Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/are welded together for all practical purposes ... I have done so much of my tabletop/product work with just that it's astonishing.

Yet, at the moment, of all the cameras I've got, the ones that are getting real use are my Leica X, Leica M-P, Leica M4-2, and Nikon F6, and of those mostly the M-P and the X. I'd use the Nikon more if it was digital. Why? I don't know ... I just like these cameras a lot, like how they work and how they feel in the hand, and I like the results they produce. Are the results significantly "better"? No. But using the cameras is the first necessity before getting good results, and if I always grab the M-P or the X, the E-M1 doesn't have much chance to compete.

I'm very likely to order a D750 (very similar size/weight/ergonomics as the F6) and put the whole kit of FourThirds format gear up for sale. And finish off what I started in The Great Reduction ... sell off everything except for the Leica kit, the Nikon kit, and a couple of specialty cameras (the Voigtländer Perkeo II, Hasselblad SWC, Minox EC and C, a Polaroids or three...).

G
I can feel with you - was going through these transitions (reductions) so many times. My last big one was to sell my Nikon D800E and lenses plus all the Fuji kit I had in order to just stay with the EM1. And I love it - really.

Was tempted to get an M-P 240 lately but finally decided to give it a pause till the next sensor shows up in whatever next M2xyz - not that the current M-P is a bad camera by any means but it is a lot of money to put down and expecting a new M at next Photokina (1 year from now) it is just too much waste of money for me. But I fully can understand your feelings WRT to the M.

Actually not so far with the X, as I never loved the X series, but the Q could be for me, as it is FF and I like 28 very much.

But I probably would keep the EM1 - this is really a lovely and very capable camera and you can really o anything with it!

Peter

Tim

Such lenses like this Fuji 90mm were finally the kick for me to leave Fuji completely and just stay with Olympus for mirrorless. In the end what mirrorless should bring to me is a more portable and lighter system, which was no longer given when looking at the latest Fuji lens releases. What does it help to have the smallest and lightest camera bodies, as long as lenses get larger and heavier and do no longer offer a significant size and weight advantage over FF.

So I finally decided to stay just with Olympus EM1 and some selected Olympus m43 PRO lenses for mirrorless and parallel run my FF Nikon system based on the Df and some selected Nikkor primes, including some great older manual Nikkor lenses, which one can buy relatively cheap in these day's.

And man - how happy I am!
So clearly you won't ever get a Sony FF then.

dhsimmonds

Godfrey

You are a goner then! :toocool: We shall miss you. that is.......... until you return one day.;)

Godfrey

... The Nikon FM remains my favourite camera operationally. Manual aperture and shutter; analogue needle. Simple.
Done for! :D
Um, Nikon FM/FM2/FM2n have a three diode readout, not a needle...
They put the FE2's analogue needle into the FM3a. ];-)

Yes, done for. Just ordered a D750 body...

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
So clearly you won't ever get a Sony FF then.
I would not say that. My main goal is to go with native lenses as much as possible and since one of my major priorities is wildlife photography I need something native in the range of 80-400, which is available as the Nikkor 80-400 VRII. I am pretty sure I do not want to go the route via any kind of adapter to mount such a lens on an FE body, not even if it supports full AF functionality, because what I read so far there are always drawbacks in some areas of use.

But it is pretty possible that I would add an FE body like the A7rII just to be able to shoot some of the great Zeiss or Sony/Zeiss AF lenses for FE mount. I am even not willing to mount any manual native FE lenses on such a camera, simply because I prefer AF most of the times.

We will see when the FE mount gets really mature - at least for me - by adding such lens choices natively as I require. When that happens and Nikon has no camera in their lineup which comes close to the state of the art latest FE body at these times, then I might do a major switch to FE FF. But I will most probably always keep one or the other Nikon body and some lenses. I am in no hurry and first want to see how good the FE system can perform compared to the Nikon FF system and only if this exceeds and ticks most of my boxes then it is time to switch.

Also I am confident that we will see a Nikon D850/D900 sooner than later with either the same sensor as the A7rII or even with a more advanced one and it will be interesting to see how Nikon answers to all this FF mirrorless stuff from Sony. I am sure that they know what they are doing and that they are already cooking something nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Um, Nikon FM/FM2/FM2n have a three diode readout, not a needle...
They put the FE2's analogue needle into the FM3a. ];-)

Yes, done for. Just ordered a D750 body...

G
Congrats from my side and enjoy this beautiful camera!

Peter

Elderly

Um, Nikon FM/FM2/FM2n have a three diode readout,

G
I loved the clear simplicity of the red 0, + and -.
I used to work my FM2 bodies 'blind' inside Jacobsen sound blimps
and those diodes were very reassuring.

I still have the blimps in a cupboard somewhere.

mazor

Sad to see you will leaving the m43 camera realm. I would surely think you would miss the IBIS from the E-M1 with excellent low light AF performance and compactness of m43 lenses.

I suspect years down the track you may come back to m43, one day...

Godfrey

Sad to see you will leaving the m43 camera realm. I would surely think you would miss the IBIS from the E-M1 with excellent low light AF performance and compactness of m43 lenses.

I suspect years down the track you may come back to m43, one day...
I've too many times returned to stuff I sold off to ever say never. But having just passed my 61st birthday, it begins to be a question as to how many "years down the track" I want to be swapping systems around rather than just making photos, publishing the photo books, and doing the other work that I want to get done before I leave this mortal coil...

G

Annna T

Actually not so far with the X, as I never loved the X series, but the Q could be for me, as it is FF and I like 28 very much.

Peter
Check Sonyalpharumors.com : there is a rumor that Leica will launch a Q body with interchangeable lens. You may like it if this get real and isn't only someone taking his wishes for the reality..

Last edited:

dhsimmonds

I've too many times returned to stuff I sold off to ever say never. But having just passed my 61st birthday, it begins to be a question as to how many "years down the track" I want to be swapping systems around rather than just making photos, publishing the photo books, and doing the other work that I want to get done before I leave this mortal coil... G
Godfey, you are still a mere boy!! As a very young photo gear addict of well over three quarters of a century, I feel that I can express that to you. I am still reading camera and lens reviews and buying when I need to upgrade and sell older stuff. At the moment I still love using my E-M1 cameras and mZuiko lenses but if the Mk 2 offers a leap forward, then why not. Now that new Leica rumour is extremely interesting...!:thumbs:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Check Sonyalpharumors.com : there is a rumor that Leica will launch a Q body with interchangeable lens. You may like it if this get real and isn't only someone taking his wishes for the reality..
Not sure what will really behind this mirrorless Leica system with interchangeable lenses - we will see. My fear is that it might easily get up into the price range of an M system, which will then be simply out of the reach that I want to spend. For the M I already have all the glass, so adding a digital body (once they build one which I find satisfying to buy) is relatively cheap.

But buying into a complete new Leica system with Leica quality glass and hopefully also telephoto zoom could easily be a very expensive adventure, especially keeping in mind that it is FF.

We will see in a few months...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Godfey, you are still a mere boy!! As a very young photo gear addict of well over three quarters of a century, I feel that I can express that to you. I am still reading camera and lens reviews and buying when I need to upgrade and sell older stuff. At the moment I still love using my E-M1 cameras and mZuiko lenses but if the Mk 2 offers a leap forward, then why not. Now that new Leica rumour is extremely interesting...!:thumbs:
I feel kind of same way, and still I am looking eagerly forward to the EM1II which will hopefully bring 20-24MP so that finally I would have enough room to crop if I need. Especially just selecting 3:2 ratio from the beginning.

WRT systems, I have been through too many switches and still I am kind of open to try if something really wonderful comes down the road :)

This new Leica rumor is very tempting, but I fear the price :cry: