Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: M4/3 bodies: Wealth of Choice, Quandry for Me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

M4/3 bodies: Wealth of Choice, Quandry for Me

I now live in a beautiful part of my country (Canada) in which I feel very at home (hooray). But I'm also far from a bricks and mortar store, and the ability to personally hold and play with intended purchases. Yes, I know that good on-line retailers will accept returns when an item is unsuitable, but I'd rather get it right (or close to right) the first time.

I currently shoot with two Panasonic G3's, which replaced my G1. I wanted the upgraded sensor, and loved the price (the 2nd one was just $250 US new on closeout). I still prefer the G1's size, and the extra, on-body, direct controls.

I'm now thinking about upgrading, with better sensor again being a motivator (DR, in particular). I'm still not (yet) interested in video. IBIS would be helpful for use with my prime lenses (eg. 75mm) but I've lived without it so far. I dislike menu-diving when shooting, and appreciate external, direct controls.

What a lot of choices!

Panasonic GM5: Too small for me, based on G3 experience.

Panasonic GH3/4: Love the thought of more external controls, but these do look bigger than I want, especially if I'm carting two (again, I've never actually held one).

Panasonic GX7: IBIS is a plus, but I'm not sure about the form factor. Stock seems to be dwindling, and price seems to be holding.

Panasonic G7: From picture comparisons, this body looks like the right size, form factor, and has desirable external controls. I wish Panasonic had included IBIS. 4K video is neither her nor there for me.

Olympus E-M1: This also looks like a great body to hold and work with. I've never dealt with Olympus's menus or layout, so there would be some adapting to do.

Olympus E-M10: Similar IQ to E-M1 at (currently) half the price? From pictures, it all looks a little cramped on the camera. But, then, I do tolerate the G3's.

Olympus E-M5: The high-res mode is not essential but intriguing. I do shoot both found and created still life images, and big prints can be beautiful.

There are many other features (such as improved AF or tracking) that would be nice to have, but are not really essential for the subjects and way that I shoot.

If anyone has any insights, particularly if you have experience with a variety of these bodies, I would appreciate your comments.
    Best regards,
    John.
    http://jburnett.ca

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: M4/3 bodies: Wealth of Choice, Quandry for Me

Hi, John,

I have come to digital photography (from analog and 20 years of not shooting) with the Panasonic G1. I was very happy at that time both with IQ and Form Factor (I have small hands). I still have that G1 but it is modded for IR photography now. I replaced the G1 with a GH2 because I wanted video also at that time. Still shooting with that GH2, but video only.

The big step for me was when I bought the E-M5 (first version) that had IBIS. I'm a fan of vintage lenses, the IBIS multiplied my keeper rate by 5
    Later, I bought an E-M1 that is my main camera for stills.
    If I need higher resolution than the sensor can offer (and that happens quite often), I shoot panoramas and stitch them in Photoshop or recently in Lightroom ... so no E-M5 Gen2 for me.
    I found the menus of the E-M1 (or E-M5 before) somewhat unpractical, but I have learned to live with them, and there are always the external controls ...
    Video on the E-M1 is also good enough for me, so I will not upgrade the GH2 anytime soon ...

I have no experience with the recent Panasonic offerings, the form factor is not what I like, and they lack IBIS, which has become mandatory for all my next camera purchases ...

I hope this helps you, and success with your search
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you very much for your thoughts, Rafael. I'm glad to hear that the transition to the Oly interface wasn't a deal-breaker (I'm assuming one spends a lot of time configuring in the beginning, then much less as time goes by). Although I don't use many vintage lenses, I do use quite a few primes (12, 17, 25, 45, 75). And, at my age, I've started leaving the tripod at home more often on longer hikes. So IBIS would indeed be very welcome.

What was your motivation to move from E-M5 to E-M1, and was anything addressed with E-M5 II or E-M10?
    Best regards,
    John.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBurnett View Post
    I'm glad to hear that the transition to the Oly interface wasn't a deal-breaker (I'm assuming one spends a lot of time configuring in the beginning, then much less as time goes by). 0?
    Except when a firmware up-date wipes your settings!
    Ian.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What was your motivation to move from E-M5 to E-M1
    John, in our family, we work the other way around
    My nephew needed a camera, so he got the FZ30 from my son, my son receiving the G1 from my wife (not the IR one, we have two G1). Making that the wife received my E-M5, and I was "forced" to get me a new E-M1...

Good tactics also to avoid discussions with SWMBO about new cameras

C U,
    Rafael

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My path into mFT was from FT SLRs at first: I bought a Panasonic G1 in late 2008 when they were first released. Mostly used my FT SLR lenses and a couple of adapted lenses on it, and it worked very well. I had a GF1 for a while and it was nice but a little cramped in my hands; I gave it to a friend.

At some point, I stopped using the G1 for some reason; I went back to FT SLR for a time afterwards using an L1 and E-1, then an E-5 replaced the L1s. The E-5 menu structure was complex but logical—I figured it out pretty quickly.

I closed my photo business at the end of 2010, only a few months after I'd gotten the E-5. While I liked the E-5 a lot, it was large and I wasn't keen on carrying it all the time. I kept the smaller E-1 and sold the E-5 and most of my lenses to a friend (who is still using them today for his freelance business).

In September 2013 when the E-M1 was announced, I ordered one right after I saw one in person at the local shop. This is the "fusion" camera I'd been looking for, a camera to use with both my remaining FT SLR lenses (11-22 and 35 Macro) as well as new mFT lenses (fast, short primes). It arrived in October 2013. The menu system is similar to the E-5 but deeper. It has far more features than I've used. But for me, it's really been the mainstay of my more technical shooting needs since I got it. Excellent design in the ergonomics, beautifully put together, and once you learn and set a configuration that works for you, a cinch to use. The IBIS is outstanding, the lenses are excellent, and I find that its "wee little sensor" stands up to the much-acclaimed Sony A7 sensor for noise and quality right up to ISO 6400. It's simply a great camera.

I find it easier to understand the menus by seeing an overview of all the options and settings ... Here's my template and an example with my settings in it. Once you see that as overview, the manual is easier to follow. :-)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ings_BLANK.pdf
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...gs_EXAMPLE.pdf

enjoy!
    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Elderly View Post
    Except when a firmware up-date wipes your settings!
    Gaaah! I hate when something like that happens (note to self -- keep record of configuration).
    Best regards,
    John.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by f6cvalkyrie View Post
    John, in our family, we work the other way around
    My nephew needed a camera, so he got the FZ30 from my son, my son receiving the G1 from my wife (not the IR one, we have two G1). Making that the wife received my E-M5, and I was "forced" to get me a new E-M1...

Good tactics also to avoid discussions with SWMBO about new cameras

C U,
    Rafael
    Yeah, I hear ya. Unfortunately, the only "forcing" in this family is me being forced to wait a long while between upgrades.
    Best regards,
    John.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    In September 2013 when the E-M1 was announced, I ordered one right after I saw one in person at the local shop. This is the "fusion" camera I'd been looking for, a camera to use with both my remaining FT SLR lenses (11-22 and 35 Macro) as well as new mFT lenses (fast, short primes). It arrived in October 2013. The menu system is similar to the E-5 but deeper. It has far more features than I've used. But for me, it's really been the mainstay of my more technical shooting needs since I got it. Excellent design in the ergonomics, beautifully put together, and once you learn and set a configuration that works for you, a cinch to use. The IBIS is outstanding, the lenses are excellent, and I find that its "wee little sensor" stands up to the much-acclaimed Sony A7 sensor for noise and quality right up to ISO 6400. It's simply a great camera.

I find it easier to understand the menus by seeing an overview of all the options and settings ... Here's my template and an example with my settings in it. Once you see that as overview, the manual is easier to follow. :-)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ings_BLANK.pdf
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...gs_EXAMPLE.pdf

enjoy!
    G
    Thanks for your input, and for the settings, Godfrey!
    Best regards,
    John.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am getting interested in Olympus.

For travel, af, and ..I have always wanted to do macro.

Video..simple Vimeo stuff would be fine.

Maximum 2 lenses..one is a done for me, the 75mm. What else?

Best.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post

Best.
    Well, that's a 150mm EFoV. So a 25 (normal) is probably the right pairing. But if you want to do Macro, you want either the M.Zuiko 60/2.8 or Macro-Elmarit 45/2.8.

G

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Best.
    Maximum 2 lenses of which one is the 75mm and one a macro... then the other should be the PanaLeica 45mm Macro. I haven't owned it, but it's supposed to be excellent. The Zuiko 60mm Macro is too close in focal length to the 75mm if you ask me. I would add the Zuiko 25mm too. It's relatively inexpensive at $350, and only 136g.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To the OP:
    The logical upgrade would obviously be the G7, a camera that I consider buying myself. But, one of my priorities is video, and I would like to have 4K. If your priority is mostly photography, I would look at any of the three Olympus models, the E-M1, E-M5 II or E-M10. The latter is a great bargain and price is similar to the Panasonic (although I prefer the Panasonic ergonomics compared to this model). The other two are more expensive, and massive upgrades from your G3 bodies.

The G6 was by many called the GH2.5. In many ways, the G7 is a GH3.8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Best.
    Personally, I would pair the 75mm with the 12-40mm zoom. It's not macro but does focus reasonably close, and the range is what I'd want for travel.
    Best regards,
    John.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    To the OP:
    The logical upgrade would obviously be the G7, a camera that I consider buying myself. But, one of my priorities is video, and I would like to have 4K. If your priority is mostly photography, I would look at any of the three Olympus models, the E-M1, E-M5 II or E-M10. The latter is a great bargain and price is similar to the Panasonic (although I prefer the Panasonic ergonomics compared to this model). The other two are more expensive, and massive upgrades from your G3 bodies.

The G6 was by many called the GH2.5. In many ways, the G7 is a GH3.8.
    The G7 does look very nice (specs & ergonomics), and would be an easy transition for me to use. I wish it had come with at least the IBIS that debuted in the GX7. If I were more into video, it would be a no-brainer.

The E-M10 seems like a really good deal to get IBIS and a better sensor than my G3. Here in Canada, Olympus is selling bodies right now for $450 Cad. (about $367 US). From the specs, it looks like the viewfinder is about G3 resolution, but less magnification, whereas the other cameras have a significantly improved viewfinder. Last concern with E-M10 is AF in lower light, but then I have no idea how it compares to what I've got. It might be just as good or even better, but I recall reports that it lags behind the E-M1.
    Best regards,
    John.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Best.
    Well if you like macro, the 75mm doesn't fit really well in a 2 lenses outfit, because it has a rather long minimal focusing distance. For versatility, I would add the 12-40mm F2.8 zoom, which is remarkable at all apertures and good at all focals. A very uniform and sharp lens. It seems that sigma has a macro lens that is very good value for the money.
    If you only want two lenses and like macro, then the 60mm macro may suits you better than the 75mm (which I own and is a superb lens). Unless you are satisfied with the 12-40mm which has a minimum focusing distance of 20cm (aka ok for flower closeup)

Post Thanks / Like

Best.
    In your case I think bets would be the EM5 II. This is definitely an excellent camera especially for the photographs you usually take (from what I know as you have posted here). The EM1 while still the better camera overall might be too bulky and video is definitely much better on the EM5II.

For lenses I would take the 1.8/17, which is an excellent lens and gives you a 35 equivalent, which I think you might really like (judging again from the photographs I have seen from you). And then the 1.8/75 is just marvelous, although it results in a 150 equivalent for FF, which I am not sure you really like. Other than that the 1.8/45 is a great, cheap and small lens.

Maybe the new 14-140, which very often comes as kit lens for the EM5II would be a great allrounder and pretty cheap as well.

Later you always have the possibility to go for the 2.8 pro zooms if you desire, although they are pretty large compared to the other lenses I mentioned so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a perspective which may be useful; I have owned three m4/3 cameras, a Lumix GF-1 (stolen with a 50mm Pentax-M f/1.7), a Lumix G3 (under-appreciated I reckon) and an Olympus E-M5 (not mkII). First two were bought used from eBAY, and the E-M5 purchased new in February for $499 AU with the 14–42 kit lens (since sold for $130 making the cost of the E-M5 a reasonable $370).

I wasn’t all that happy with the GF-1 due to poor high ISO results and the lack of a viewfinder. The G3 was much better, but the Olympus E-M5 is better again.

I have set it up so that focus is activated by the front Function button and ISO by the back Function button. I use program exposure auto, with the combination of shutter speed and aperture adjustable from the rear control wheel, and EV over- and under-exposure controlled by the front wheel. So I don’t have to dive into menus very often. Didn’t take long to set it up to my liking, but I used online articles to help me.

The anti-shake lets me shoot hand-held down to about an eighth-of-a-second with a roughly 50–50 success rate (I am 63 and getting a bit less steady over time).

I use a number of 4/3 lenses—the 50mm macro is superb, as are the 14–54 and the 11–22, all very useable wide-open. I also have a 20mm Lumix which is pretty good.

HTH.
    Last edited by mediumcool; 20th June 2015 at 02:20. Reason: Added two sentences.

Post Thanks / Like

Re short teles, I understand that the Lumix 42.5mm f/1.7 is much better wide-open edge-to-edge than the Zuiko 45/1.8. But the Lumix costs more!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI John
    Well, I've had all the Olympus cameras - right now Emma uses an E-M10, and I have an E-M1 and an E-M5 mark ii

Get the E-M5 mark ii - it's just a wonderful sorted camera - nicer and quieter than the E-M1 with better IBIS, high res mode - just lovely

Go For It!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Maximum 2 lenses of which one is the 75mm and one a macro... then the other should be the PanaLeica 45mm Macro. I haven't owned it, but it's supposed to be excellent. The Zuiko 60mm Macro is too close in focal length to the 75mm if you ask me. I would add the Zuiko 25mm too. It's relatively inexpensive at $350, and only 136g.
    The Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8 ASPH is indeed excellent. 1:1 with internal focusing, beautiful wide open to fully stopped down. It's my most-used lens.

Given some of rayyan's comments in another thread, the 75 paired with it and a 25mm would be a perfect kit. I know it's three lenses rather than two, but it hits all the numbers.

Panasonic has a new 30mm f/2.8 macro out too. That and the 75 would also be a good pairing from the focal lengths, but I have no experience with the 30mm lens.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful bunch of folks here at GetDPI.

Thank you kindly, for your suggestions. Now to work out where it would be the cheapest for me. States or the UK ( I don't pay Vat= 20% off ).

Gracias folks. Big Gracias.
    koffee & kamera
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mediumcool View Post
    I have a perspective which may be useful; I have owned three m4/3 cameras, a Lumix GF-1 (stolen with a 50mm Pentax-M f/1.7), a Lumix G3 (under-appreciated I reckon) and an Olympus E-M5 (not mkII). First two were bought used from eBAY, and the E-M5 purchased new in February for $499 AU with the 14–42 kit lens (since sold for $130 making the cost of the E-M5 a reasonable $370).

I wasn’t all that happy with the GF-1 due to poor high ISO results and the lack of a viewfinder. The G3 was much better, but the Olympus E-M5 is better again.

I have set it up so that focus is activated by the front Function button and ISO by the back Function button. I use program exposure auto, with the combination of shutter speed and aperture adjustable from the rear control wheel, and EV over- and under-exposure controlled by the front wheel. So I don’t have to dive into menus very often. Didn’t take long to set it up to my liking, but I used online articles to help me.

The anti-shake lets me shoot hand-held down to about an eighth-of-a-second with a roughly 50–50 success rate (I am 63 and getting a bit less steady over time).

I use a number of 4/3 lenses—the 50mm macro is superb, as are the 14–54 and the 11–22, all very useable wide-open. I also have a 20mm Lumix which is pretty good.

HTH.
    Great to learn that even the original e-M5 can be considered a step up for a G3 owner. I've been putting off upgrades because specs alone don't tell me if an upgrade might be considered significant (for me, of course). But the latest crop of cameras do beckon!
    Best regards,
    John.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI John
    Well, I've had all the Olympus cameras - right now Emma uses an E-M10, and I have an E-M1 and an E-M5 mark ii

Get the E-M5 mark ii - it's just a wonderful sorted camera - nicer and quieter than the E-M1 with better IBIS, high res mode - just lovely

Go For It!
    Ah, interesting! Sounds like, for you, the E-M5 II trumps the E-M1. It's certainly getting good reviews.

Of course, none of this comes free of charge or change. I've been avoiding getting into the Adobe cloud, but will just have to bite THAT bullet, too, if I want to use Lightroom for the E-M5II. The E-M1 and E-M10 are supported by LR 5.7 (my current version) but not the E-M5 II... unless I've misread.
    Best regards,
    John.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ah, interesting! Sounds like, for you, the E-M5 II trumps the E-M1. It's certainly getting good reviews.

Of course, none of this comes free of charge or change. I've been avoiding getting into the Adobe cloud, but will just have to bite THAT bullet, too, if I want to use Lightroom for the E-M5II. The E-M1 and E-M10 are supported by LR 5.7 (my current version) but not the E-M5 II... unless I've misread.
    You don't necessarily need to pay the subscription for the cloud. LR6 can be updated from previous versions, or bought as a standalone program and its price has gone down with respect to the first versions. But you have to look closer at the Adobe shop if you want to buy the complete standalone license, it is well hidden.

I have Photoshop CS6 whose Camera Raw get updated for the last cameras and LR6 and they work well together (Didn't want to get into the monthly cloud subscription either). If you have a previous version of PS, you can still work with only LR6, but the changes you have made using newer tools won't be transferred to PS. That's all.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page. In the right hand corner box you'll see "Lightroom 6 for desktop only. Mobile capabilities not includes" in a box. Clicking "Buy Now" in that box nets the standalone version for $149, full package. On that page click "I want to buy" and pick "Upgrade". Now click "I own" and pick LR 5 ... upgrade price is $79.

Once you download and install LR 6, then go to the Update menu and get the update ... current version is LR 6.1.

Easy... :-)

The E-M5II is definitely Olympus' most current hardware on the camera side and has the improvements to the stabilization system that enable the ultra-high-res mode, but I prefer the ergonomics of the E-M1. They keep shipping improvements to the E-M1 as well, firmware v3.1 which came out recently includes another "Live Boost 2" mode that enables you to see in very very low light, finally you can focus on stars for astronomical photography with the EVF.

Plus, the E-M1 is the natural pick if you want to take advantage of the FourThirds SLR lenses. I still have my favorite ZD 11-22/2.8-3.5, 35 Macro, and 50-200/2.8-3.5 lenses ... :-)

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank-you Anna and Godfrey for the LR6 upgrade information!
    Best regards,
    John.

Post Thanks / Like

A lone voice extolling Capture One; it even supports 4/3 lenses such as the 11–22, 14–54 and 50/2 Macro!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

But for Panasonic CO support just 5 lenses. Five !
    I suppose the Pannies are in no need of any correction whatsoever ...
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

I love my E-M1 along my 12-40. The prices for this camera have dropped to not too much more than a new G7.

The menu complexity has been way over hyped IMO, and frankly the camera is very usable out of the box. However there are many features not found on other m4/3s and get acquainted with those takes some practice.

You may find the body a little larger than what you are used to.

Having said all that I would definitely recommend the E-M1 or the new E-M5 II. Both are very well sorted out cams. especially if video isn't important to you as it isn't to me.
    Last edited by donbga; 21st June 2015 at 15:32. Reason: poor grammar
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    But for Panasonic CO support just 5 lenses. Five !
    I suppose the Pannies are in no need of any correction whatsoever ...
    I can be wrong, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the corrections for Panasonic lenses are "baked into the picture file"
    Could that be the reason ?

C U
    Rafael

Post Thanks / Like

I can be wrong, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the corrections for Panasonic lenses are "baked into the picture file"

Rafael
    Here is something I prepared earlier:

This RW2 file from a Panasonic G3/20mm f/1.7 is shown (left-to-right):

1) imported into Capture One with Generic profile

2) imported with Manufacturer profile

3) imported with C1’s inbuilt profile for the 20mm

The third panel has had moderate vignetting applied, Color [sic] balance modifications in shadows and mid-tones, some HDR, low percentage LCC, rotation and skewing. Sharpness falloff set to 120% (this setting unavailable with #2’s Manufacturer profile). The bitumen on the road surface is approximately grey.

For some reason I must have applied some vignetting to #2 but can’t be buggered doing that one again.

Additional note: the Zuikos don’t permit a Manufacturer profile—you have to specify a profile from the drop-down menu.
    Last edited by mediumcool; 22nd June 2015 at 06:51. Reason: Added a final sentence.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in a quandary. With Fuji announcing the over 500gms/ 90mm lens, I am struggling.

A new system and lenses or a heavy but, according to initial reports, another
    Super lens from Fuji. The shallower dof is welcome too c.f the Olympus 75/1.8

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

C U
    Rafael
    Could be, Raf. But I'm puzzled by the ones that are 'supported':

Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm F2.8 ASPH. POWER O.I.S.
    Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II ASPH. MEGA O.I.S.
    Panasonic LUMIX G 14mm F2.5 ASPH.
    Panasonic LUMIX G 20mm F1.7 ASPH.
    Panasonic LEICA DG SUMMILUX 25mm / F1.4 ASPH

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Back in a quandary. With Fuji announcing the over 500gms/ 90mm lens, I am struggling.

A new system and lenses or a heavy but, according to initial reports, another
    Super lens from Fuji. The shallower dof is welcome too c.f the Olympus 75/1.8
    Such lenses like this Fuji 90mm were finally the kick for me to leave Fuji completely and just stay with Olympus for mirrorless. In the end what mirrorless should bring to me is a more portable and lighter system, which was no longer given when looking at the latest Fuji lens releases. What does it help to have the smallest and lightest camera bodies, as long as lenses get larger and heavier and do no longer offer a significant size and weight advantage over FF.

So I finally decided to stay just with Olympus EM1 and some selected Olympus m43 PRO lenses for mirrorless and parallel run my FF Nikon system based on the Df and some selected Nikkor primes, including some great older manual Nikkor lenses, which one can buy relatively cheap in these day's.

And man - how happy I am!
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I want to thank everyone for their opinions and help. I have an E-M5 Mk ii on order, along with the ECG-2 grip/arca-swiss L-bracket. I'm hoping that the ECG-2 helps with hand-holding (yes, the E-M1 would have been superior for that); I use an arca-swiss head on my tripod, so I would be mounting an arca QR plate anyway. The L-bracket is a bonus to me.

I occasionally go through spurts of still-life studies (particularly when it gets cold and miserable in the Canadian winters), so I hope to do some playing with the high-res mode.
    Best regards,
    John.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New OM-D E-M5 Mk II -- DR

I've now had time to take my E-M5 Mk II on a couple of outings. ONE of my goals with this upgrade from my G3 was to see a reasonable increase in dynamic range. The following shot was taken handheld into the sun at base ISO, then processed in Lightroom (and a bit of PS 'cause I'm still faster with that). Sure, it's not a D810 file. And, to some of you, this is old hat, I suppose. But, to say that I'm pleased with what I could pull out of this file would be an understatement.

What the RAW looked like:

And here's what I was able to produce with very little effort (yes, overboard, but I wanted to see how far I could go).

Best regards,
    John.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New OM-D E-M5 Mk II -- DR

I've now had time to take my E-M5 Mk II on a couple of outings. ONE of my goals with this upgrade from my G3 was to see a reasonable increase in dynamic range. The following shot was taken handheld into the sun at base ISO, then processed in Lightroom (and a bit of PS 'cause I'm still faster with that). Sure, it's not a D810 file. And, to some of you, this is old hat, I suppose. But, to say that I'm pleased with what I could pull out of this file would be an understatement. ...
    Yes, it is amazing what can be pulled out of an exposure with today's cameras and image processing tools... !

G

Post Thanks / Like

John kindly sent me the RAW file to try processing in Capture One, my RAW converter of choice. I began by using layers, and got to four of them before saying to myself, ‘no—go quick ’n’ dirty using only the controls available’.

I have upgraded to C1 rev 8.3.1, so there is a generic profile for the Olympus E-M5 Mk II, which I used. Just under the profile setting (in the BASE CHARACTERISTICS tab) is the Curve pull-down—I chose Film Extra Shadow, which I do wherever there is significant shadow in the scene. [this tends to lower contrast, so I often use that control, and Clarity, to compensate]

EXPOSURE tab
    Exposure +0.5
    Saturation +30

HDR
    Highlight 60
    Shadow 20

CLARITY
    Method “Natural”
    Clarity +20
    Structure +20

LENS tab
    Sharpening @ default
    12-35 Lumix lens correction
    LCC Uniform light 20% (Color unchecked)
    Vignetting –1.6

COMPOSITION tab
    Keystone (straighten tower RHS)
    Crop 3:4 ratio

Happy with the result given the time spent—no layers and no drawing of complicated masks! I particularly like the way that highlight compensation with HDR has darkened the sky whilst at the same time bringing up the overall brightness through exposure, LCC, and the shadow curve. There was a very minor adjustment made by clicking the white balance tool in the dark band across the sky just under the blue at the top of the frame.

This exercise has been instructive for me, as I tend to get a bit obsessive and can go over the top in my processing!

Post Thanks / Like

As somebody who only enjoys taking the photograph and has little knowledge, patience or tools to post process (CS2 in a cupboard is as up-to-date as I get), mediumcool's post does inspire me.

However, as I find it almost impossible even to decide on something as simple as a new camera bag, choosing a raw processor would be nigh on impossible for me .
    Ian.

Post Thanks / Like

As somebody who only enjoys taking the photograph and has little knowledge, patience or tools to post process (CS2 in a cupboard is as up-to-date as I get), mediumcool's post does inspire me.
    I suppose I am a tad unusual, as I did not begin using computers to serve my photography; rather it was to learn typesetting (I was about forty and ’twas the early ’90s). I had been long interested in type and typesetting, and Macworld magazine was—at that time—a marvel of information (stories by Jim Heid and others accelerated my appreciation and knowledge muchly); the PC was nowhere near adequate for serious work. I had asked a friend who used an Amiga what was the best way to get immersed in the world of fonts and typesetting, and he recommended the before-the-return-of-Steve-Jobs Macintosh. I couldn’t afford a Mac for a while, so used an LC3 at South Australia’s State Library until I got a decently-paying project (the LC3 had a *feature* which provided 16-bit colour if the screen resolution was reduced to 640 x 400 pixels, a major step up from 8-bit!). I was in heaven when I bought an LC475 for just under $3000au in 1994. This has since returned to me after the second owner upgraded—maybe I could make a clock out of it?

However, as I find it almost impossible even to decide on something as simple as a new camera bag, choosing a raw processor would be nigh on impossible for me .
    Depending on your computer platform, there can be plenty of options for RAW processing (I don’t use Windows, so I don’t follow apps in that space). For basic image editing I prefer Pixelmator (Mac-only) over Photoshop (it hasn’t been a proper Mac program for years!) but subscribe to Ps because it does some things that Pm never will. If I wasn’t doing work that earns money (not often enough!) I would buy Iridient Developer (Mac-only), though it is nowhere as near as fast as C1 is for me. The new Mac-only Affinity Photo seems to be a good buy at under $50us; I will be looking to replacing Pm with it.

We live in exciting times; the tools, from camera to computer to software are getting better, and there is more choice.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's much easier than you might think. On these forums, photographers obsess over nuances and details because that's what photographers do. While I do look at new image processing tools as they come around and sound interesting, since 2006 I've done 99% of all my image processing in Lightroom. All the little nuances that are debated to death make sense for the very specific demands by individual photographers and their work ... I take a broader brush, try to get my photos right in the camera, and use LR to manage and output it with greater or lesser (usually lesser) gentle tweaks.

Randomly pick any one of the well-supported image processing packages that supports the camera you want to use, forget the debates, learn the software and use it a lot. That's all that's needed. They all do a remarkably good job.

G
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Em5 was the game changer camera for me (and for m4/3 IMO). Em1, em5 2, em10, and em 10 2 that followed still have similar IQ and DR.

I would go for a em5 today because 1) the smaller form is the essence of m4/3, the em 1 with the enlarged grip is as big as a ASPC dslr or my A7s. 2) the much improved viewfinder is worth it on its own. If you are on a budget then I'd get a used EM5.

Lenses wise, I lean toward the pro line panasonic zooms since they are much smaller than their Olympus counterparts with 95% of the IQ. Also M4/3 means zooms for me as it is the camera i carry for convenience/travel/kids. I go to full frame and primes for any serious work so I didn't put any money into m4/3 primes. There are certainly many good prime lenses on the system but there are better ones @ larger format.

Finally, I never tried the panasonic cameras because the EM5s satisfied all my needs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    I go to full frame and primes for any serious work …
    Ooh, them’s fighting words!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooh, them’s fighting words!
    :-)

I'm on a cusp at the moment. I've been using FourThirds format for both personal and professional image making since 2007 and have a complete FT SLR and mFT mirrorless system at my disposal. The E-M1 and the Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/are welded together for all practical purposes ... I have done so much of my tabletop/product work with just that it's astonishing.

Yet, at the moment, of all the cameras I've got, the ones that are getting real use are my Leica X, Leica M-P, Leica M4-2, and Nikon F6, and of those mostly the M-P and the X. I'd use the Nikon more if it was digital. Why? I don't know ... I just like these cameras a lot, like how they work and how they feel in the hand, and I like the results they produce. Are the results significantly "better"? No. But using the cameras is the first necessity before getting good results, and if I always grab the M-P or the X, the E-M1 doesn't have much chance to compete.

I'm very likely to order a D750 (very similar size/weight/ergonomics as the F6) and put the whole kit of FourThirds format gear up for sale. And finish off what I started in The Great Reduction ... sell off everything except for the Leica kit, the Nikon kit, and a couple of specialty cameras (the Voigtländer Perkeo II, Hasselblad SWC, Minox EC and C, a Polaroids or three...).

Oh, the battles! :-)

G

Made with iPhone 6

Post Thanks / Like

… the ones that are getting real use are my Leica X, Leica M-P, Leica M4-2, and Nikon F6, and of those mostly the M-P and the X.
    I reckon that you are lost to us; what are the Asylum visiting hours, and will you be allowed to keep an Agfa Clack (no batteries needed, and it makes a satisfying “clack” noise)?

I'd use the Nikon more if it was digital.
    I don’t miss film in the slightest, and it would not be practicable for paid work, given how both deadlines and fees have gone south—I’m glad that I’m pulling a disability pension!

BUT there’s a Noblex 120 panoramic camera at a local dealer under $1000—hmmm, time to sell the Pentax stuff? But then I’d have to get a reasonable scanner—my Epson Expression 1680 is not up to it). STOP IT! [shakes index finger at self]

… using the cameras is the first necessity …
    I struggle quite a bit with the E-M5’s menu structure, less so with the Lumix G3’s. The Nikon FM remains my favourite camera operationally. Manual aperture and shutter; analogue needle. Simple.

… except for the Leica kit, the Nikon kit, and a couple of specialty cameras (the Voigtländer Perkeo II, Hasselblad SWC, Minox EC and C, a Polaroids or three...).
    Done for!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on a cusp at the moment. I've been using FourThirds format for both personal and professional image making since 2007 and have a complete FT SLR and mFT mirrorless system at my disposal. The E-M1 and the Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/are welded together for all practical purposes ... I have done so much of my tabletop/product work with just that it's astonishing.

Yet, at the moment, of all the cameras I've got, the ones that are getting real use are my Leica X, Leica M-P, Leica M4-2, and Nikon F6, and of those mostly the M-P and the X. I'd use the Nikon more if it was digital. Why? I don't know ... I just like these cameras a lot, like how they work and how they feel in the hand, and I like the results they produce. Are the results significantly "better"? No. But using the cameras is the first necessity before getting good results, and if I always grab the M-P or the X, the E-M1 doesn't have much chance to compete.

I'm very likely to order a D750 (very similar size/weight/ergonomics as the F6) and put the whole kit of FourThirds format gear up for sale. And finish off what I started in The Great Reduction ... sell off everything except for the Leica kit, the Nikon kit, and a couple of specialty cameras (the Voigtländer Perkeo II, Hasselblad SWC, Minox EC and C, a Polaroids or three...).

Oh, the battles! :-)

G
    I can feel with you - was going through these transitions (reductions) so many times. My last big one was to sell my Nikon D800E and lenses plus all the Fuji kit I had in order to just stay with the EM1. And I love it - really.

Was tempted to get an M-P 240 lately but finally decided to give it a pause till the next sensor shows up in whatever next M2xyz - not that the current M-P is a bad camera by any means but it is a lot of money to put down and expecting a new M at next Photokina (1 year from now) it is just too much waste of money for me. But I fully can understand your feelings WRT to the M.

Actually not so far with the X, as I never loved the X series, but the Q could be for me, as it is FF and I like 28 very much.

But I probably would keep the EM1 - this is really a lovely and very capable camera and you can really o anything with it!

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Such lenses like this Fuji 90mm were finally the kick for me to leave Fuji completely and just stay with Olympus for mirrorless. In the end what mirrorless should bring to me is a more portable and lighter system, which was no longer given when looking at the latest Fuji lens releases. What does it help to have the smallest and lightest camera bodies, as long as lenses get larger and heavier and do no longer offer a significant size and weight advantage over FF.

So I finally decided to stay just with Olympus EM1 and some selected Olympus m43 PRO lenses for mirrorless and parallel run my FF Nikon system based on the Df and some selected Nikkor primes, including some great older manual Nikkor lenses, which one can buy relatively cheap in these day's.

And man - how happy I am!
    So clearly you won't ever get a Sony FF then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Godfrey

You are a goner then! We shall miss you. that is.......... until you return one day.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

... The Nikon FM remains my favourite camera operationally. Manual aperture and shutter; analogue needle. Simple.
    Done for!
    Um, Nikon FM/FM2/FM2n have a three diode readout, not a needle...
    They put the FE2's analogue needle into the FM3a. ];-)

Yes, done for. Just ordered a D750 body...

G