The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus Air

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My Nokia 808 is starting to show its age and is in need for a replacement. My plan was to buy an LG G4, which seems to be the camera phone to have at the moment, but on the other hand I'm tired of buying expensive mobile devices that are designed to fall apart within a couple of years. So here's another idea:

Why not buy a cheaper, like in $100-200 cheap (I actually have one already that I use with SIM cards in other countries), Android phone that will also last for 2 years and connect it with this device when good image quality is needed:

Air A01 Smartphone Camera | Olympus

Then I get image quality like with an E-M1 when needed, can use whatever lens I choose, including adapted lenses with a Speed Booster, lenses that can be shared with my D810. It's just 147 grams and the size of a small lens, so can be taken anywhere. A good idea?

mazor

yes good idea in terms of small portable IQ, but then if you are going to carry all those lenses to mount onto the air, then you may as well just carry a camera which will have more responsive controls and ergonomics.

Speed booster optics are not light either.

My Nokia 808 may be getting old, but it by no means showing it's age. It still is my first go to camera in my pocket when I do not have my E-M1, or when my E-M1 has a nocticron mounted, and need an wider field of view.

Godfrey

It looks like a fun camera/gadget, but I am resistant to buying more stuff. I'd probably find it fun for a week, and then it will sit in my drawer like too many other things. I'm already selling massive lots of stuff like this ... my goal is to not buy those things in the first place now.

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The 808 restarts itself at least once per day, and sometimes it hangs like forever. I delivered it to Nokia for a complete reset and upgrade, but it was only good for a few months.

I agree that there might be too many components for this to be an ideal solution. I consider other ways around this too, like a Nikon Coolpix A (cheap now), Ricoh GR, Ricoh GXR (very cheap now) or Pana GM1. I'm in no hurry, so we'll see.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like a fun camera/gadget, but I am resistant to buying more stuff. I'd probably find it fun for a week, and then it will sit in my drawer like too many other things. I'm already selling massive lots of stuff like this ... my goal is to not buy those things in the first place now.

G
I agree, and maybe this just evaporates. Time will show :)

mazor

That does not sound good. I guess there is a reason why some 808 fans end up with more than one 808, just in case one fails.

Have you considered a Sony RX100 iii or the new iv? This camera is more compact than the air, and is pocket able without the need for attaching additional lenses. The Ricoh GR is a very nice fixed lens camera with a APS-C sensor. Although compact, it is no where as compact as the RX100 series.

The GXR looks again is not so pocketable but does have excellent controls, and can be alot of fun interchanging both the lens and sensor. The highly regarded GXR A12 M mount module is a brilliant performer and is a good starting point torwards getting a Leica M camera ;)

GM1, sounds like an ideal compact solution with ability to mount m43. While nice, one can also consider the LX100, which has a built in fast aperture zoom that will be more compact than a GM1 with an equivalent fast aperture zoom attached.

Thanks for the pointer Jorgen.

First time I have looked at it.

I echo the post about size/weight of the pro lenses. My 12-40 lens weighs the same as my E-M5 body if you take out the battery. I can't see much point in carrying an Air without a zoom attached.

However, there are times when people need a tethered situation. Pack shots, portraits, etc. I wonder if working an Air with a tablet or iPad might have a use for some photographers?

Tony

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the pointer Jorgen.

First time I have looked at it.

I echo the post about size/weight of the pro lenses. My 12-40 lens weighs the same as my E-M5 body if you take out the battery. I can't see much point in carrying an Air without a zoom attached.

However, there are times when people need a tethered situation. Pack shots, portraits, etc. I wonder if working an Air with a tablet or iPad might have a use for some photographers?

Tony
One of the cool things with it is that it's wireless, making it possible to hold the camera at whatever angle necessary while seeing the subject on the phone. Rather cool. With a price of $300, I guess I'll buy one anyway and see how useful it is. Can't hurt, can it?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That does not sound good. I guess there is a reason why some 808 fans end up with more than one 808, just in case one fails.

Have you considered a Sony RX100 iii or the new iv? This camera is more compact than the air, and is pocket able without the need for attaching additional lenses. The Ricoh GR is a very nice fixed lens camera with a APS-C sensor. Although compact, it is no where as compact as the RX100 series.

The GXR looks again is not so pocketable but does have excellent controls, and can be alot of fun interchanging both the lens and sensor. The highly regarded GXR A12 M mount module is a brilliant performer and is a good starting point torwards getting a Leica M camera ;)

GM1, sounds like an ideal compact solution with ability to mount m43. While nice, one can also consider the LX100, which has a built in fast aperture zoom that will be more compact than a GM1 with an equivalent fast aperture zoom attached.
A friend of mine bought the RX100 III. To fragile for me, particularly the pop-up finder, and I would have to cut off a couple of fingers to make it fit my hand. The GR and Coolpix A are typically cameras that would fit in a belt bag, and the image quality is great from both.

mazor

not familiar with the coolpix a, but in the past Nikon have not made exceptional point and shoot digicam. In my opinion I would prefer the GR over the Nikon.

mazor

Wonder how the Olympus air compares with the likes of the Sony QX1? They both have the same concept design, one for Emount APS-C and the other m43.

Annna T

One of the cool things with it is that it's wireless, making it possible to hold the camera at whatever angle necessary while seeing the subject on the phone. Rather cool. With a price of $300, I guess I'll buy one anyway and see how useful it is. Can't hurt, can it?
I find this concept interesting, especially coupled with a pancake lens, like the Panasonics 14mm or 20mm, not sure about the pancakes zooms (IQ ?). But my main concern is that one would need three hands to manage such a system : one to hold the AIR, one to hold the phone and one to manage the controls on the phone. Good luck in achieving precise framing and avoiding motion blur.

one would need three hands

With a pancake you might be able to clip the device to the phone if the promo is to believed?

I would not trust that clip with my 12-40 700UKP zoom though.

My suggestion about using it with a tablet was presuming one would have the tablet on a table. Hold the lens in one hand and work the tablet with the other.

Tony

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I find this concept interesting, especially coupled with a pancake lens, like the Panasonics 14mm or 20mm, not sure about the pancakes zooms (IQ ?). But my main concern is that one would need three hands to manage such a system : one to hold the AIR, one to hold the phone and one to manage the controls on the phone. Good luck in achieving precise framing and avoiding motion blur.
When the phone is clipped to the lens, one is supposed to hold it by the lens I suppose, so only two hands needed. One needs two hands to take photos with a phone anyway. Smartphones are not designed for humans.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Wonder how the Olympus air compares with the likes of the Sony QX1? They both have the same concept design, one for Emount APS-C and the other m43.
I have seen a few reviews of the QX1, and what most people complain about is speed. Not so fast maximum shutter speed at 1/4,000s, only 3.5 fps and an eternity from a shot is taken till the camera is ready for the next one. The Olympus can do 1/16,000s and 10 fps. None of them feature IBIS, but for Olympus, there are Panasonic lenses with OIS available. The 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 and 35-100mm f/4-5.6 are both tiny and of very good optical quality. 70 and 135g respectively, which results in a camera with stabilised lenses from 24-200mm (35mm eqv.) at under 400 gram plus the phone.

The obvious alternative is the GM5, which has an EVF, but that is considerably more expensive. One advantage the Air has over any alternative is obviously that it's always online, so that photos can be shared immediately.

mazor

I have seen a few reviews of the QX1, and what most people complain about is speed. Not so fast maximum shutter speed at 1/4,000s, only 3.5 fps and an eternity from a shot is taken till the camera is ready for the next one. The Olympus can do 1/16,000s and 10 fps. None of them feature IBIS, but for Olympus, there are Panasonic lenses with OIS available. The 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 and 35-100mm f/4-5.6 are both tiny and of very good optical quality. 70 and 135g respectively, which results in a camera with stabilised lenses from 24-200mm (35mm eqv.) at under 400 gram plus the phone.

The obvious alternative is the GM5, which has an EVF, but that is considerably more expensive. One advantage the Air has over any alternative is obviously that it's always online, so that photos can be shared immediately.
hmm, sony Emount lenses do sport image stabilization. even the pancake 16-50mm has stabilization. guess 1/16000 shutter speed is impressive, but that via an electronic shutter. Is there an option for mechanical shutter as well in the air? How does this full electronic shutter perform for action or fast panning?

In my opinion, if the GM5 supports the Oly share app, then it is equally as connected or online as the air. the only difference is the air has no viewfinder, or ergonomic physical controls.

For the good price of $300, I think the air is quite worth it as a toy to play with. can you imagine mounting the nocticron onto the air and going for a shoot.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
hmm, sony Emount lenses do sport image stabilization. even the pancake 16-50mm has stabilization. guess 1/16000 shutter speed is impressive, but that via an electronic shutter. Is there an option for mechanical shutter as well in the air? How does this full electronic shutter perform for action or fast panning?

In my opinion, if the GM5 supports the Oly share app, then it is equally as connected or online as the air. the only difference is the air has no viewfinder, or ergonomic physical controls.

For the good price of $300, I think the air is quite worth it as a toy to play with. can you imagine mounting the nocticron onto the air and going for a shoot.
The low price is obviously part of the trick with this camera. Noctitron, no, but the earlier mentioned Panasonic combo or a Zuiko 12/25/45mm trio would work very well I think.

I can see myself using it when I have an art director with a specific shot in mind.

They can fiddle around with the camera until they have the shot they want on my tablet - and I'll simply press the button.

I tend to use my Sigma Merrills for that sort of shoot normally but I'll happily forgo the extra quality for the pleasure of letting the art director do their own framing and positioning.

Tony

Godfrey

In my opinion, if the GM5 supports the Oly share app, then it is equally as connected or online as the air. the only difference is the air has no viewfinder, or ergonomic physical controls....
The most important difference is that the Olympus Air can be custom programmed if you have that need for a customized use. And I know of no way to remotely control a zoom setting on the GM1 or GM5.

To me, the Air is an inexpensive, highly customizable process camera. It's not a general purpose piece of equipment the way the GM1/GM5 are.

G