Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 300

Thread: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

  1. #51
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Rather the PanaLeica for me as it is a zoom which I prefer for wildlife.

    The Oly is too expensive and restrictive. Also shows where IBIS is coming clearly to an end finally!
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #52
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Rather the PanaLeica for me as it is a zoom which I prefer for wildlife.

    The Oly is too expensive and restrictive. Also shows where IBIS is coming clearly to an end finally!
    The 100-400 is also high on my wish-list, but I'm not too sure about the Oly to be "too expensive": expensive maybe, but let's wait and see what we've to shell out for the 100-400 ...
    I guess we'll know by the end of this week

    All the best.
    Bart ...

  3. #53
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    The 100-400 is also high on my wish-list, but I'm not too sure about the Oly to be "too expensive": expensive maybe, but let's wait and see what we've to shell out for the 100-400 ...
    I guess we'll know by the end of this week

    All the best.
    The Oly is rumored to cost 2600.- which would be a lot for a m43 lens, especially if it is "only" fixed focal length.

    http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/olym...-on-colorfoto/

    The PanaLeica seems to be a bit cheaper (below 2000.-) according to rumors, plus has the flexibility of being a zoom.

    Decision would be no brainer IMHO.
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #54
    Senior Member Elderly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Ian.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  5. #55
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Bart ...

  6. #56
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Mmm, that's not much of a hood: DPReview Hands-on
    Bart ...

  7. #57
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  8. #58
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Mmm, that's not much of a hood: DPReview Hands-on
    There seems to be a full-sized lens hood as an optional accessory.
    Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  9. #59
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    I have just placed my pre-order for this lens. If it does what it say's 'on the tin', I shall be well pleased!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  10. #60
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Thanks Dave. I am looking forward to your images.
    With best regards, K-H.

  11. #61
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    I have just placed my pre-order for this lens. If it does what it say's 'on the tin', I shall be well pleased!
    Excellent ! I already ordered my copy on the 16th of October. I guess I'm high if not #1 on the list of my local camera-monger ...
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #62
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Very (very!) tempted. Might just bring me back into the m43rds family.

    And it seems to be keenly priced, especially compared to the new Oly 300/4

    LouisB
    Last edited by biglouis; 7th January 2016 at 10:59.

  13. #63
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Multitude of choices! 300/4 with 1.4x teleconverter becomes 420/5.6 and/or 100-400/4-5.6. Which one to get? Or both?

    After the latest firmware updates one can use the combination of Olympus' IBIS with the OIS of Panasonic's Nocticron 42.5/1.2 AFAIK.
    Will that also work for the 100-400 lens?
    I assume one can combine Olympus' IBIS and OIS of the 300/4 lens, including 1.4x teleconverter, to get 6 stops of stabilization.

    Feedback? TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.

  14. #64
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    IMO there is interesting information here with regards to which lens I should get, owning an E-M1 and E-M5.2:

    http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1840

    Salient points I picked up on with regards to the Olympus 300/4 PRO:

    For E-M1 and E-M5.2:

    Better: Silent mode > Anti-Shock Mode > Single-Shot mechanical shutter.
    Also the Olympus 75-300 II seems to focus extremely well. Mine certainly does!

    This sentence "With the 5-axis Sync IS, the lens IS corrects for pitch and yaw movements, while the body-based IS handles pitch and yaw as well as roll movements. probably should read "With the 5-axis Sync IS, the lens IS corrects for pitch and yaw movements, while the body-based IS handles X and Y translations as well as roll movements."

    I also like the following chapter, explaining the massive 6-stops of image stabilization correction when used with a compatible camera body! Quote:

    "Why is the Image Stabilization system with the new Olympus 300mm /4 Pro so great? According to Olympus, one of the main factors -- in addition to new I.S. algorithms -- is the hand-selected, high-performance gyro sensor inside the lens. Not only did Olympus contract specifically for high-performance gyro sensors, but also each gyro sensor undergoes performance assessments in the factory. Then, Olympus themselves hand-selects the best-performing sensors to go into each 300mm lens. In other words, only the best of the best make the cut for the Olympus 300mm /4 Pro lens. Furthermore, each time the camera is powered-on, the in-camera IS gyro sensor and the lens's counterpart are calibrated against each other. "

    Question: I there any such detailed information available about the PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3? TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  15. #65
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    This a very recent hands on review with brief spec. of features where it states that "dual image stabilisation" is a feature. If so it is exactly the same as the Oly F4 300 prime. Both are splash and dust proof etc. the weight of the lens is 985g and the lens images show the lens both fully extended and retracted. It might help you Karl-Heinz? Panasonic Leica DG 100-400mm f/4-6.3 ASPH Hands-On Preview
    OLympus mention that the latest firmware is needed to employ dual image stabilisation on their new mZuiko f4 300 and this may also be true for the DG100-400. I shall be using mine with the E-M1 using the latest firmware v4.0.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  16. #66
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    OK, put in a pre-order at Amazon here in the UK. I tend to buy kit like this from them because they have a generous 30 day exchange period and that was very useful on one occasion last year.

    Now I have a conundrum. I don't have a camera body!

    I don't know whether to pick up a s/h GH-3 or go the whole hog and get the GX-8 from a grey importer.

    Any suggestions?

    LouisB

  17. #67
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    OK, put in a pre-order at Amazon here in the UK. I tend to buy kit like this from them because they have a generous 30 day exchange period and that was very useful on one occasion last year.

    Now I have a conundrum. I don't have a camera body!

    I don't know whether to pick up a s/h GH-3 or go the whole hog and get the GX-8 from a grey importer.

    Any suggestions?

    LouisB
    Sorry Louis, you're on your own in this I'm afraid.
    However, that said: do you remember this cool Post Focus ?
    If you like that feature then consider this:
    The Post Focus function will be available on LUMIX GX8, G7 and FZ300 by updating the firmware to version 2.0.
    It will be available on upcoming new models as well.
    Get the new firmware free of charge for LUMIX GX8, G7 (G70 in Germany) and FZ300 (FZ330 in UK).
    Well, it doesn't read GH3 or GH4, does it ?

    Perhaps this will help you make up your mind: In the field with Panasonic's new 100-400mm zoom
    Now don't pay attention to the lens as you already ordered one: just check out the camera ...


    All the very best and may you choose wisely ...
    Bart ...

  18. #68
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Hi Louis, I agree with Bart. For that lens you seem to need a compatible camera for the dual IS to work. Or vice versa. YMMV.
    With best regards, K-H.

  19. #69
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    OK, put in a pre-order at Amazon here in the UK. I tend to buy kit like this from them because they have a generous 30 day exchange period and that was very useful on one occasion last year.

    Now I have a conundrum. I don't have a camera body!

    I don't know whether to pick up a s/h GH-3 or go the whole hog and get the GX-8 from a grey importer.

    Any suggestions?

    LouisB
    Hi Louis

    Or the Olympus E-M! is now reducing in price as dealers reduce stocks in readiness later this year for the Mk2. A grey importer will probably undercut them!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

  20. #70
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Multitude of choices! 300/4 with 1.4x teleconverter becomes 420/5.6 and/or 100-400/4-5.6. Which one to get? Or both?

    After the latest firmware updates one can use the combination of Olympus' IBIS with the OIS of Panasonic's Nocticron 42.5/1.2 AFAIK.
    Will that also work for the 100-400 lens?
    I assume one can combine Olympus' IBIS and OIS of the 300/4 lens, including 1.4x teleconverter, to get 6 stops of stabilization.

    Feedback? TIA.

    I am in doubt now whether that is a correct reading of available information.
    Joint update service for OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM can be found here: Joint update service for OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM - OLYMPUS Digital Camera
    According to this page currently the latest Firmware versions are: E-M1 version 4.0, E-M5.2 version 2.1 and E-M5 version 2.1

    After updating the before mentioned cameras man can also use them to update Panasonic lenses, for example the

    LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5mm/F1.2 ASPH./POWER O.I.S.
    (H-NS043) *4

    to ver. 1.2 with Release Date of Aug. 18, 2015

    with the following proviso:

    *4 When using the E-M5 camera for updating the firmware of the lenses, you will need the following firmware version:
    - The firmware version of the camera must have the latest version. Please make sure to update the firmware of the camera to the latest version before updating the lenses.
    - The firmware version of the Digital Camera Updater must have version 1.03 or later ( for Win ) / version 1.04 or later ( for Mac ).
    E-M5 Firmware update
    OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater


    Also available is a Description of the Nocticron update to version 1.2. It has this url Update Contents for Update Contents for H-NS043 and the following text.

    Update Contents for H-NS043
    Improvements

    Date/Version 2015/08/05 Ver. 1.2

    Description
    Dual I.S.( Image Stabilizer ) is available by this firmware update.
    (in case of the usage of Camera with this function)
    * Dual I.S.:Innovative Handshake Correction System by the ideal combination of lens I.S and Body I.S.

    Date/Version 2014/04/22 Ver. 1.1

    Description
    Improved the motion picture quality under high sensitivity in use with GH4.

    The terms used are Panasonic expressions, namely: Dual I.S., Lens I.S and Body I.S.

    Corresponding Olympus expressions are: 5-axis Sync IS, Lens IS and Body IS according to this page: M.Zuiko ED 300mm f4.0 IS PRO Lens | Olympus


    Here is a quote from Panasonic DMC-GX8 Lumix Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds DMC-GX8/B
    "Dual Image Stabilization
    Helping to achieve the utmost sharpness when photographing handheld, Dual I.S. combines the GX8's sensor-shift image stabilization technology with lens-based image stabilization to compensate for a broader range of movement types to render sharper, clearer imagery. Dual I.S. requires the use of compatible Lumix lenses featuring O.I.S."

    So, how interoperable are Olympus and Panasonic cameras with the other company's lenses?

    It seems the 300/4 wouldn't get the full benefit of stabilization, i.e. Dual I.S., on a Panasonic camera.
    An open question in my mind is whether the 100-400 gets the full benefit of stabilization, i.e. 5-axis Sync IS, on an E-M1 or E-M5.2 the way the 300/4 does. I doubt it does.
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 8th January 2016 at 14:24.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  21. #71
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    So, after checking some more I finally got the message.
    MFT lenses can be used on Olympus and Panasonic cameras - but not all native features work on non-native cameras.
    In particular Dual I.S. seems specific to Panasonic and 5-axis Sync IS to Olympus.

    Does that matter?
    Well, only if one cares how many stops of image stabilization is attainable.
    According to some websites, in case of the Olympus 300/4 PRO lens, it's either 4 or 6 stops.
    Clearly the law of diminishing returns seems already in effect.
    Does it make a difference for one's photography? Maybe, maybe not. You decide!

    Anyway, for my E-M1 and E-M5.2 I have ordered the Olympus 300/4 PRO lens.

    Now, what to do about my LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5mm/F1.2 ASPH./POWER O.I.S. lens?
    Dual I.S. would be operative in combination with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera.
    How much difference would that make? I don't know. Probably not as much as other camera features like the newer sensor.

    Final questions.

    Currently, which camera would be best to use with the Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens?
    How many image stabilization stops does the POWER O.I.S. Lens achieve? How many with Dual I.S.?

    Any feedback is appreciated. TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  22. #72
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    The Olympus 300mm f/4 Pro Review - MirorLessons

    Quote:

    "Here again the performance will vary depending on which camera you use. Within the Olympus range, we have to separate the E-M1 and E-M5 mark II from the other OM-D and Pen cameras. When the lens is attached to the E-M1 or E-M5 mark II with their latest firmwares installed, both stabilisation systems (optical and sensor) will be used together to produce what Olympus calls Sync IS. In fact if you turn off the IS on the lens, the IBIS on the camera is de-activated as well. Once IS is enabled on the lens, you can choose the IBIS type on the camera. I found that leaving it to Auto was often the best option. Olympus claims 6 stops of compensation.

    During my tests, I managed to get sharp results down to 0.4s which is quite impressive."

    "With Panasonic cameras, only the optical stabilisation will be effective. It is true that the GX8 has a similar system to the Olympus Sync IS called Dual IS. Unfortunately it only works with select Panasonic lenses so in this case, I could only benefit from the lens IS. That could seem like a limitation somehow but the truth is that the internal stabilisation of the 300mm is quite stunning. I managed to get sharp results down to 1/6s."


    The Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm *PRO *Lens - creative * island * photography

    A non-technical review with videos.



    Обзор M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm 1:4.0 IS PRO — часть 8 — Примеры снимков | Дмитрий Крупский

    A review in Russian with lots of pictures.
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 8th January 2016 at 23:29.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  23. #73
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    K-H, all well and good, but what is 6 stops of compensation worth for moving targets ?
    Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  24. #74
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Thanks Bart, please tell me.
    With best regards, K-H.

  25. #75
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    So, after checking some more I finally got the message.
    MFT lenses can be used on Olympus and Panasonic cameras - but not all native features work on non-native cameras.
    In particular Dual I.S. seems specific to Panasonic and 5-axis Sync IS to Olympus.

    Does that matter?
    Well, only if one cares how many stops of image stabilization is attainable.
    According to some websites, in case of the Olympus 300/4 PRO lens, it's either 4 or 6 stops.
    Clearly the law of diminishing returns seems already in effect.
    Does it make a difference for one's photography? Maybe, maybe not. You decide!

    Anyway, for my E-M1 and E-M5.2 I have ordered the Olympus 300/4 PRO lens.

    Now, what to do about my LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5mm/F1.2 ASPH./POWER O.I.S. lens?
    Dual I.S. would be operative in combination with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera.
    How much difference would that make? I don't know. Probably not as much as other camera features like the newer sensor.

    Final questions.

    Currently, which camera would be best to use with the Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens?
    How many image stabilization stops does the POWER O.I.S. Lens achieve? How many with Dual I.S.?

    Any feedback is appreciated. TIA.
    Without any scientific research or tests I would say from my long year experience with any type of camera brands that the PanaLeica lens will work best on a GX8 (currently, till a GH5 will be available) and the Olympus lens on a Olympus camera (currently EM1, EM5II, till EM1markII becomes available). Simple as that!

    But to be hones, I would not really care about that and what combo gives you the most advantage in f-stops, as for any moving subject (which is most what at least I shoot with long tele) the object movement becomes the limiting factor much earlier than the camera movement due to camera shake etc.

    For me these lenses are interesting mainly because of

    1) the reach

    2) the flexibility (zoom wins hands down, if IQ is good, which I take for granted with the PanaLeica).

    Hence my first choice would be the 100-400 and only then the 300 (although I generally love Olympus Pro lenses).

    Just my 5c
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #76
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Bart, please tell me.
    I think Peter sums it up pretty accurate
    Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  27. #77
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Thanks gentlemen. As always, the proof is in the pudding.

    Grey Seals at Angel Bay - Olympus Sync IS (OM-D E-M1, M.Zuiko 300mm f/4 Pro, MC-14)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW_q3AeGo_c
    The video was shot entirely hand held with Sync IS stabilisation (M-IS1 setting).

    Well, I am impressed!
    I am sure video quality will be better in future Olympus cameras.
    IMHO the 300/4 lens + 1.4x teleconverter seem to deliver.

    I agree, the PANA LEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3 has more utility in certain situations.
    In this context these two lenses seem similar to my APO-R 280/4 and VARIO-R 105-280/4.2.
    I like using both, depends on what I would like to shoot.
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 9th January 2016 at 23:57.
    With best regards, K-H.

  28. #78
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks gentlemen. As always, the proof is in the pudding.

    Grey Seals at Angel Bay - Olympus Sync IS (OM-D E-M1, M.Zuiko 300mm f/4 Pro, MC-14)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW_q3AeGo_c
    The video was shot entirely hand held with Sync IS stabilisation (M-IS1 setting).

    Well, I am impressed!
    I am sure video quality will be better in future Olympus cameras.
    IMHO the 300/4 lens + 1.4x teleconverter seem to deliver.

    I agree, the PANA LEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3 has more utility in certain situations.
    In this context these two lenses seem similar to my APO-R 280/4 and VARIO-R 105-280/4.2.
    I like using both, depends on what I would like to shoot.
    You know what ? I'm hoping the MC-14 gets along with the 100-400 ...
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #79
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    You know what ? I'm hoping the MC-14 gets along with the 100-400 ...
    Thanks Bart. I am with you. Unfortunately it doesn't.
    So far it only works with 2 lenses, the Oly 40-150/2.8 PRO and the 300/4 PRO.
    With best regards, K-H.

  30. #80
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post

    All the very best and may you choose wisely ...
    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Hi Louis, I agree with Bart. For that lens you seem to need a compatible camera for the dual IS to work. Or vice versa. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Hi Louis

    Or the Olympus E-M! is now reducing in price as dealers reduce stocks in readiness later this year for the Mk2. A grey importer will probably undercut them!
    OK, well thanks for the advice. I've gone with a GX-8 and 12-35/2.8 bundle which comes at a very competitive price, plus GBP 150 cash back and a 5 year warranty (and a free 32GB card which is not one of my liking but hey-ho).

    My experience before with m43rds leads me to believe that for a Lumix lens a Panasonic body is probably the best. BTW, I wonder how long it will before I crack and get the 20/1.7, 7-14 and the incredible (I think) DG 45 macro.

    Now, I only have the long wait for the 100-400.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  31. #81
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    The last few posts reference dual image stabilisation is very interesting, if for no other reason that the 4/3 open platform details as originally set up by Olympus for the E-1, specified if I remember correctly that no competitive advantage should be available to designers of products signing up to their platform should gain any uniquely competitive design advantage. ie Any lens , flashgun etc produced by a partner to the 4/3 partnership must be able to be used on another's camera body etc. So far in approx. ten or more years this has held good and strong with both Leica and Panasonic upholding that principle, albeit Leica pulled out of 4/3 during their difficultes. OK Panasonic went down the lens IS route and Olympus the sensor I.S routes but either could be used on either camera. Probably Olympus gaining here as the Panny lenses could be used on their bodies by switching off the lens IS if so required. Certainly on my Panny 100-300 better results were obtained by using IBIS in favour of lens IS.

    Now the ball game has shifted as both lenses reach 600mm or more where IBIS has reached it's limits of usefulness. Panny has already shifted to sensor stabilisation in their latest bodies and continued lens IS on their longest lenses. Oly have made the biggest change, by now offering lens IS on their longest new lens. I suppose that this is a must for them due to the fixed focal length. Dual IS is probably belt and braces for them. For Panny it was a no brainer as they already have both.

    It remains to be seen whether the latest firmware for the Oly Pro camera (E-M1) will allow for dual IS when using the Panaleica DG100-400! (dual IS is almost a must as this lens can be used at FL well below 300mm)

    There is no doubt that the 4/3 and m4/3 platform continue to provide a fantastic source of excellent lenses and flashguns etc than just about any other platform.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #82
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Bart. I am with you. Unfortunately it doesn't.
    So far it only works with 2 lenses, the Oly 40-150/2.8 PRO and the 300/4 PRO.
    That would be too bad: but in what way doesn't it work ? Doesn't fit, no AF, no sharp images ?
    Bart ...

  33. #83
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    OK, well thanks for the advice. I've gone with a GX-8 and 12-35/2.8 bundle which comes at a very competitive price, plus GBP 150 cash back and a 5 year warranty (and a free 32GB card which is not one of my liking but hey-ho).

    My experience before with m43rds leads me to believe that for a Lumix lens a Panasonic body is probably the best. BTW, I wonder how long it will before I crack and get the 20/1.7, 7-14 and the incredible (I think) DG 45 macro.

    Now, I only have the long wait for the 100-400.

    LouisB
    You can keep cracking for a long time, Louis ...
    What about the DG's; 25/1.4 or 45/2.8 or 15/1.7 or 42,5/1.2 ?
    Bart ...

  34. #84
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    You can keep cracking for a long time, Louis ...
    What about the DG's; 25/1.4 or 45/2.8 or 15/1.7 or 42,5/1.2 ?
    The 45/2.8 is imho one of the finest lenses produced for the m43rds system. At f3.2 it hasa fantastic draw. Which is why I would give a home to another one.

    Looking around ebay the prices of s/h Lumix kit is dismally low. You can pick up 20/1.7's - the lens which to my mind must have truly peed off Leica, for peanuts. That lens is as good as any summicron you want to put it up against.

    Is it me or has the 25/1.4 lost its Leica branding? Panasonic now do not describe it as a Leica DG, just a Panasonic. When I bought that lens it even came with a Leica lens cap.

    I sold all my m43rds kit when I went heavily into film and only kept the GH-2 with the 100-300. I then sold that to purchase a 70-200/4 for my Sony system which in comparison was I am afraid to say a piece of crud.

    I am going to be very interested to test out the GX-8 against my Sony bodies and lenses.

    LouisB

  35. #85
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    The 25/1.4 still is the Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 ASPH (H-X025).
    There is a new Panny 25/1.7 though ...
    Bart ...

  36. #86
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    That would be too bad: but in what way doesn't it work ? Doesn't fit, no AF, no sharp images ?
    Sorry Bart, not fit would have been the correct word.
    The only two lenses which the teleconverter reportedly fits are the two I mentioned.
    So, I may have jumped to a conclusion.

    I believe you have a teleconverter.
    If true I assume you will find out once your 100-400 mm lens arrives and let us know. TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  37. #87
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Sorry Bart, not fit would have been the correct word.
    The only two lenses which the teleconverter reportedly fits are the two I mentioned.
    So, I may have jumped to a conclusion.

    I believe you have a teleconverter.
    If true I assume you will find out once your 100-400 mm lens arrives and let us know. TIA.
    K-H, will do for sure and I've used the MC-14 for my R-lenses with good result, although I'm not certain if I tried this combo at infinity.
    Note: the MC-14 fits perfectly into the R-mFT adapter.

    Unfortunately I've no Panasonic lens that allows to test the MC-14.

    Kind regards.
    Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  38. #88
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    K-H, will do for sure and I've used the MC-14 for my R-lenses with good result, although I'm not certain if I tried this combo at infinity.
    Note: the MC-14 fits perfectly into the R-mFT adapter.

    Unfortunately I've no Panasonic lens that allows to test the MC-14.

    Kind regards.

    Thank you so much Bart. That's very useful information. Much appreciated! Why didn't I think of that?
    I have several APO-Extender-R 1.4x and 2x. As you know the 1.4x cannot be used on the APO-R 180/3.4.
    The last lens element would collide with the extender glass for infinity setting. The 2x extender doesn't have this problem.

    So, I followed your advice and attached the Olympus 1.4x teleconverter between E-M1 and the Novoflex MFT/LER adapter, then the APO-R 180/3.4.
    Following is a hand held shot with the IBIS focal length set to 250 mm.



    E-M1+Oly 1.4x TC+MFT/LER adapter+APO-R 180/3.4 at 252 mm, f/3.4, ISO 3200, 1/15 s, hand held, uncropped, reduced in size.

    Thanks again Bart. This works like a charm and should work for infinity focusing as well. No doubt in my mind!

    Yup, I cannot attach the Olympus teleconverter to the Nocticron 42.5/1.2.


    IIRC correctly, you also have the Nocticron that has POWER O.I.S. Mine is updated to latest firmware.
    Using E-M5 and E-M5.2 or E-M1, all updated with latest firmware, one could probably figure out if the Nocticron benefits from 5-axis Sync IS.
    According to Panasonic/Olympus literature we already know that on the GX8 camera the Nocticron would benefit from Dual I.S.
    Question is, would the Nocticron also benefit from 5-axis Sync IS on either the E-M1 or E-M5.2?
    One could then compare with the behavior on the E-M5 that doesn't support the 5-axis Sync IS feature.
    So, I am wondering if the differences in behavior are easily demonstrable.

    Bart, which OM-D cameras do you have? I have kept all 3.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  39. #89
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Bart, which OM-D cameras do you have? I have kept all 3.
    Well, my original OM-D cameras, EM5 and EM1 along with my Panasonic G1 (red), were all stolen.
    Now I only have one EM1 Not much to grin about ...
    Bart ...

  40. #90
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thank you so much Bart. That's very useful information. Much appreciated! Why didn't I think of that?
    I have several APO-Extender-R 1.4x and 2x. As you know the 1.4x cannot be used on the APO-R 180/3.4.
    The last lens element would collide with the extender glass for infinity setting. The 2x extender doesn't have this problem.

    So, I followed your advice and attached the Olympus 1.4x teleconverter between E-M1 and the Novoflex MFT/LER adapter, then the APO-R 180/3.4.
    Following is a hand held shot with the IBIS focal length set to 250 mm.

    E-M1+Oly 1.4x TC+MFT/LER adapter+APO-R 180/3.4 at 252 mm, f/3.4, ISO 3200, 1/15 s, hand held, uncropped, reduced in size.

    Thanks again Bart. This works like a charm and should work for infinity focusing as well. No doubt in my mind!
    That sure looks pretty good, K-H !
    Again infinity has to be confirmed yet, but I too believe it will work.

    These shots I took with the Telyt-R 350/4.8 and the MC-14: #post646118

    Kind regards.
    Last edited by Knorp; 11th January 2016 at 11:32. Reason: Added samples
    Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  41. #91
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Washington D.C. region
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    You can keep cracking for a long time, Louis ...
    What about the DG's; 25/1.4 or 45/2.8 or 15/1.7 or 42,5/1.2 ?
    And the 35-100/2.8 (there's also a slower one)
    is not too shabby. It doesn't change length in
    zooming, and w/long lens hood reversed is shorter
    than 12-40/2.8 w/hood out and not much longer
    if that petal hood's reversed --and lighter.
    (GX7 + 35-100 slung around neck/shoulder
    while cycling ... --and used prices put lens
    at about half of new 40-150, so my choice
    was easy.) For me, the Pany zoom's OIS
    on GX7 --which I perfer feel of to gripped E-M5--
    does about as well as E-M5(I)'s IBIS + lens.

    Similarly, the Pany 7-14/4 vs. Oly 2.8, for me,
    and my copy --from KEH.com-- seems sharp
    wide open all 'round. (or, sharp as I am,
    which is a lower standard... )

    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #92
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm f/4 Pro - 4K video (shot with Panasonic GX8)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiW8gdkc5mw
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 12th January 2016 at 13:56.
    With best regards, K-H.

  43. #93
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Panasonic 100-400 lens shots

    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3951201
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  44. #94
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 14th January 2016 at 13:35.
    With best regards, K-H.

  45. #95
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    A fixed focal length does actually make a lot of sense for bird photography, which is my main interest in a long lens. However, I was always so impressed with my 100-300 that I prefer to continue with Panasonic rather than switch to Olympus. I'm sure Olympus owners feel exactly the same about continuing with what they know.

    I took advantage of the January sales to gear up with a GX-8 and I have the 100-400 on order from two different companies. I just hope that the delivery deadline is not delayed and that I am in the list for the first orders.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  46. #96
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    A fixed focal length does actually make a lot of sense for bird photography, which is my main interest in a long lens. However, I was always so impressed with my 100-300 that I prefer to continue with Panasonic rather than switch to Olympus. I'm sure Olympus owners feel exactly the same about continuing with what they know.

    I took advantage of the January sales to gear up with a GX-8 and I have the 100-400 on order from two different companies. I just hope that the delivery deadline is not delayed and that I am in the list for the first orders.

    LouisB
    Just curious : why do you think that a fixed focal is better for birding ? I feel that zooming with your feet is much less effective with very long focals and that a zoom would make more sense, but then I don't shoot so many birds.

    I have a very bad experience with my Panasonic 100-300mm, so would prefer an Olympus at this length (I have a few other Panasonic lenses which I like, in particular the 14 and 20mm pancakes and the 25mm F1.4 of which I like the rendering a lot, but dislike the cumbersome hood).
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  47. #97
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Just curious : why do you think that a fixed focal is better for birding ? I feel that zooming with your feet is much less effective with very long focals and that a zoom would make more sense, but then I don't shoot so many birds.

    I have a very bad experience with my Panasonic 100-300mm, so would prefer an Olympus at this length (I have a few other Panasonic lenses which I like, in particular the 14 and 20mm pancakes and the 25mm F1.4 of which I like the rendering a lot, but dislike the cumbersome hood).
    I'm sorry for your bad copy, Annna. I've always liked my 100-300 a lot. But then perhaps I'm somewhat less critical or I had a good copy, I don't know.
    I wouldn't be surprised that in the end the fixed 300 Oly surpasses the 100-400 Pana in IQ, but I do prefer the flexibility of the zoom for my type of shooting.

    Kind regards.
    Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  48. #98
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Louis, Annna, Bart,

    Thanks. Where to begin? First, I apologize for posting about the 300/4 in this thread. But that seems fitting and I didn't want to start another thread about that lens. Also these two lenses are the top offerings from the two MFT gear makers and will be compared, no doubt. My guess, I'll probably end up with both. The 100-400 is scheduled to show up about a month later than the 300/4. So I have my pre-order in for the 300/4 at this time.

    All I can say about my Olympus 75-300 II lens on each of my three OM-D cameras is that I like the results I get with it. For most of my shots I have been using it at 300 mm though. Nevertheless, I consider the 100-400/4.0-6.3 more useful than the 300/4 for many situations. However, for available light scenarios the 300/4 will be a better fit. I also use the Sony A7r/2 FF cameras with the Leica lenses 105-280/4.2 and 280/4 and the Nikon D800E and AF-S 80-400/4.5-5.6 VR II system. But for walking around I still prefer the Oly 75-300 II or would prefer the 100-400 from Panasonic for MFT cameras. But which MFT camera would be best? (BTW, the new Fuji XPRO2 24 MP and 100-400/4.5-5.6 and 1.4x extender may even have an advantage. Time will tell.)

    Back to MFT cameras. I have never owned a Panasonic camera but get the impression that Panasonic lenses are best used on Panasonic cameras and vice versa for Olympus gear, in particular now that Dual I.S. and 5-axis Sync IS are available. I have not seen any indication that the two different dual image stabilization technologies can be used with mixing components from both companies. Of course, the lenses can still be used interchangeably, but only with their own lens or body IS, but not both. Of course, that may not matter for some uses. (BTW, the Fuji lens claims 5 stops of image stabilization, measured the standard way).

    At this time the GX8 seems to have an advantage with its 20 MP sensor and 4K video. So, Louis I think you made an optimal choice for your situation. Congratulations on your new system.

    I wonder though when the E-M1.2 will show up?
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 16th January 2016 at 05:14.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #99
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Anna, K-H, Bart

    I really think it comes down to which system you have invested in. I'm a Panasonic fanboy (haha) so I've gone for Panasonic.

    To answer Anna's question: most birding requires very long lenses. In fact my 100-300 was a bit short, hence my desire to own the 100-400. Even though the amount of 'bird' in my frame may be double it will be quite small. Only rarely do you get to be close up enough to fill the frame of small song birds, for example. Mind you, I don't go in for blinds and things to disguise myself - I am only a 'backyard birder'.

    I class the photo below as one of my most successful photos mainly because the common sparrow is actually quite uncommon in the UK now (it was on the endangered species list but does seem to be coming back) and I must have stalked the bird for about 4 hours to get a shot of it emerging from a pipe in a house. But as stated this is perhaps a fraction of the full frame and close to a 100% crop. Shot on a GH-2.



    Anna, it really is a shame you had a bad experience with the 100-300. As you noted in a previous post I did quite well with it. My only mistake was to sell it! I did consider buying it back but I am in the fortunate position to have some spare cash to upgrade my camera and go for the newer lens.

    BTW, I actually started the Panasonic 100-300 Flickr group (but handed over the admin to someone else a couple of years ago) and there are some fantastic captures in that group. Well worth visiting to see what the 100-300 is capable of.

    I left the m43rds community a couple of years ago because I felt the format was ultimately a technical cul-de-sac but it is remarkable that the format is still going strong and Panasonic are still developing news lenses for the format with oversight by Leica.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  50. #100
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    I'm sorry for your bad copy, Annna. I've always liked my 100-300 a lot. But then perhaps I'm somewhat less critical or I had a good copy, I don't know.
    I wouldn't be surprised that in the end the fixed 300 Oly surpasses the 100-400 Pana in IQ, but I do prefer the flexibility of the zoom for my type of shooting.

    Kind regards.
    Yes, I probably had a bad copy : it just wouldn't allow me to focus at infinite past the 225-250mm range.

    What itches is that I sent it back to the support service while it was still on warranty and it came back as is with the diagnostic that it was "corresponding to the specifications".

    I do also get double lines in many situations even when the lens is fixed to the tripod with a specially engineered tripod foot I bought from Germany especially for itand using the electronic first curtain on the E-M5II.

    I can already see in the VF when using MF that the lens isn't able to focus. Something prevents me from turning the ring as far as I would like. It isn't incompatibility with the Olympus bodies, since I had the same problem with the Panasonic G3 body. The lens is just not able to acquire focus at the longer ranges, whether with AF or with MF. And I tried several apertures (closing down should help contrast and AF) with no improvement.

    At the shorter range the lens perform better, but I tend to use it at the longer end.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •