Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

Not a great sample perhaps, but to my eye the PL100-400's output at 132mm is pretty good, certainly good enough for me ...

Bart ...
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Some 100-400mm samples with my Pen F.
    Fun to use, on static things (tracking is )

Post Thanks / Like

I find the sharpness very good from wide open between 100 and 200mm. Then good until 400mm.
    IMO the bokeh also looks better in the short focal lengths.

Post Thanks / Like

From the 5min comparison I could make, the Oly 300mm PRO IQ looks clearly in another league (sharpness, contrast, bokeh) but I'm not sure the m4/3 sensors deserve such IQ level.
    Personally I'm more happy with a smaller, lighter, cheaper, more flexible lens like the 100-400mm Pana (I would choose a Nikon D750 or D810 and a 300mm f4,0 in second hand + crop or teleconverter if more reach is needed).
    Don't shoot me for saying this, it's just my personal view and I've never been a sport photographer :roll eyes:

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anGy View Post
    From the 5min comparison I could make, the Oly 300mm PRO IQ looks clearly in another league (sharpness, contrast, bokeh) but I'm not sure the m4/3 sensors deserve such IQ level.
    Personally I'm more happy with a smaller, lighter, cheaper, more flexible lens like the 100-400mm Pana (I would choose a Nikon D750 or D810 and a 300mm f4,0 in second hand + crop or teleconverter if more reach is needed).

Hopefully that camera "deficiency" gets addressed through future m43 cameras.

Also, I wonder how the Pana 100-400 compares with the Oly 40-150/2.8 and with MC-14 for 100 and 200 mm?
    Likewise the Pana at 400 mm with the Oly 300/4 with MC-14 at 420 mm?
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 28th March 2016 at 11:03.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Not a great sample perhaps, but to my eye the PL100-400's output at 132mm is pretty good, certainly good enough for me ...
    Thanks Bart. BTW, which image stabilization are you using, if any?
    The in Lens or E-M1 Body IS?
    Is there a difference in user experience?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Evening walk in the park,
    (Oly Pen F)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Bart. BTW, which image stabilization are you using, if any?
    The in Lens or E-M1 Body IS?
    Is there a difference in user experience?
    Well, I've spent no time yet bothering about the stabilization.
    So I'd say every single option is still switched to ON.
    Seems to work fine though ...

Perhaps anGY can run some tests otherwise as soon as the weather improves and my dad is out of hospital I'll give it a try.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bart. Sorry to hear about your Dad in the hospital. I hope he will be fine soon. Good luck!
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't shoot me for saying this, it's just my personal view and I've never been a sport photographer :roll eyes:
    The problem with using a D810 for this is that you need a 300mm plus a 1.4x TC plus crop mode to get the same reach as an E-M1 with the 300mm without TC. Although the image quality of the D810 is amazing, particularly at low ISO, you would rarely be at base ISO with such a combo. ISO 800 and an effective aperture of f/8 would be the norm according to my experience, while the Olympus combo with better IS and wider effective aperture probably would allow ISO 100 or 200 under the same circumstances.

With a D750, which has less resolution, it becomes even more problematic. I think one can safely say that m4/3 has a great advantage when it comes to long lenses. Notice also that the new 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 for Sony E-mount is a expensive, as heavy and as large as the Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 which has comparable reach, and I suspect better image quality plus the option of a TC. Getting to 600 or 800mm with an A7 would get me in to all kinds of problems with my bank, while with an Olympus or Panasonic camera, it's really a piece of cake

When all that is said, I do prefer optical viewfinders with long lenses, but the weight of a full frame camera with the necessary lens can be quite a challenge, particularly when travelling. The best compromise is probably the D500 plus the 300mm f/4 PF and a TC. That's an option I will consider vs. m4/3 in the coming months.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I agree.
    The m43 is the king of small & lightweight equipment and this is even more true when using long focal lenses.
    I knew before buying the Oly Pen F that the pixel quality wouldn't be at the same level as full frame dslr; but I also knew I would never go out with a DSLR + 500mm lens for casual shooting like I now can do with the Pen F + 100-400mm.

But this logic doesn't hold well if the Olympus 300mm F4 comes in the equation.
    600mm equivalent / top optical qualities / 22cm long / 1.6kg / 2.600eur are remarquable specs compared to FF DSLR lenses.
    The problem is that 2kg in a small bag is not lightweight anymore, and I only use my M43 system when I want to be light so it immediately puts this combo out of the equation.

I'm new to the m43, I don't know how good the AF continuous tracking of an EM-1 is compared to a sport DSLR body, and I don't know neither how the Pen F AF tracking compares with the EM-1.
    Maybe after a firmware update and better settings I'll get better results with my Pen F, but for the moment my continuous shooting experience (with of without TR activated, with or without face recognition, etc) is quite disappointing.

To me long focal length lenses (300mm eq. and up) are much more usable on bodies with excellent AF (for sport of course but also nature). This is important and could also be a reason enough not to spend 2.600eur on a tele lens.

But 'maybe' again, the combination of a Oly body + a Oly lens that has a constant f4 aperture will give good AF tracking results when a Oly body + a Pana zoom lens with a slower aperture will ruin your action shots in any other than ideal situations.

In this case I might re-consider my choice as the 300mm f4 Pro lens would then be more usable than the Pana zoom lens.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, I agree.
    The m43 is the king of small & lightweight equipment and this is even more true when using long focal lenses.
    I knew before buying the Oly Pen F that the pixel quality wouldn't be at the same level as full frame dslr; but I also knew I would never go out with a DSLR + 500mm lens for casual shooting like I now can do with the Pen F + 100-400mm.

But this logic doesn't hold well if the Olympus 300mm F4 comes in the equation.
    600mm equivalent / top optical qualities / 22cm long / 1.6kg / 2.600eur are remarquable specs compared to FF DSLR lenses.
    The problem is that 2kg in a small bag is not lightweight anymore, and I only use my M43 system when I want to be light so it immediately puts this combo out of the equation.

I'm new to the m43, I don't know how good the AF continuous tracking of an EM-1 is compared to a sport DSLR body, and I don't know neither how the Pen F AF tracking compares with the EM-1.
    Maybe after a firmware update and better settings I'll get better results with my Pen F, but for the moment my continuous shooting experience (with of without TR activated, with or without face recognition, etc) is quite disappointing.

To me long focal length lenses (300mm eq. and up) are much more usable on bodies with excellent AF (for sport of course but also nature). This is important and could also be a reason enough not to spend 2.600eur on a tele lens.

But 'maybe' again, the combination of a Oly body + a Oly lens that has a constant f4 aperture will give good AF tracking results when a Oly body + a Pana zoom lens with a slower aperture will ruin your action shots in any other than ideal situations.

In this case I might re-consider my choice as the 300mm f4 Pro lens would then be more usable than the Pana zoom lens.
    I doubt that any current mirrorless camera can compete with the best DSLR bodies when it comes to focus tracking. This is partly technology-related, but I suspect that Canon's and Nikon's experience within this field, with enormous input from thousands of professional users, comes into play as well. This may change in the future, but not any time soon I'm afraid. If you turn the table, there's no way Nikon can compete with the contrast detect AF-C of the GH4 when shooting video. That's Panasonic's domain, and they are he ones with the experience.

I agree that the Zuiko 300mm is surprisingly heavy, even more so than the old, full frame Nikkor 300mm f/4 AF-S. My guess is that the Zuiko in reality is a full frame lens, and possibly telecentric om the 4/3 format to optimise sharpness across the frame on a digital sensor. Oversized lenses seem to be all the rage at the moment
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am shooting now m43 since years, starting from GH2, then EM5, and now EM1. While AFC and AF tracking significantly improved even the EM1 with latest firmware does not come close to a Nikon D810 WRT to AF tracking. I also shot the XPro1, XE2 and XT1 for a long time (all sold finally) and also the Fuji's were far away from the Nikon responsiveness and AF tracking capabilities, even with the latest FW updates. And from what I heard and read about the XPro2 even this latest Fuji incarnation cannot compete with Nikons when it comes to AFC and AF tracking.

And I even do not compare that to the latest incarnations of Nikon AF in a D5 and D500 respectively. It for sure is experience from more than one decade of constructing and designing AF systems as well as lens parks which most of them are superior AF wise to new mirrorless lenses coming from whatever manufacturer, name it, as soon as we are talking AFC and AF tracking.

Maybe it will take another 4-5 years till mirrorless and DSLR will become equal in that disciplines.
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Let me clarify that I'm not expecting the little Pen F + zoom to approach the CaNikon AF tracking performance, it would have be foolish. Here when I say I'm disappointed with the Oly + Pana combo, I'm talking about following people at 50m distance that are gently walking towards you, or ducks fighting in the middle of a pond (okay, there was a lot of water reflections ).
    I expect such basic moving subjects to be efficiently tracked with a better ratio than 1/5.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi folks. If any of you are still looking for this lens, my local camera shop (Stewarts Photo) has a few in stock and more on the way. Contact Brian Weeks in Anchorage, Alaska at 907-272-8581 or [email protected]. I have bought a lot of gear from Brian and Stewarts Photo over the years. Highly recommend them.

Gary Benson

Post Thanks / Like

Still using the lens o a Pen F, really fun with slow moving subjects,

- - - Updated - - -

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Tend to agree with anGy, on the shorter end the lens is good, the longer end indeed less so.

LEICA DG 100-400/F4-6.3 Shot at 132 mm
    Aperture priority AE, 1/250 sec, f/8, ISO 400

Bart ...
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tend to agree with anGy, on the shorter end the lens is good, the longer end indeed less so.

LEICA DG 100-400/F4-6.3 Shot at 132 mm
    Aperture priority AE, 1/250 sec, f/8, ISO 400

I seem to think the longer shot is pretty good, too. Maybe my eyesight, monitor, or taste is failing me?

Post Thanks / Like

A tame model and a tele lens on hand, sometimes it's too easy

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    I seem to think the longer shot is pretty good, too. Maybe my eyesight, monitor, or taste is failing me?
    Hi there Elliot,

the second image is a 100% crop of the first. Sorry ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there Elliot,

the second image is a 100% crop of the first. Sorry ...

Kind regards.
    Thanks -- it is all clearer now.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Another sample: first full, second crop ...

LEICA DG 100-400/F4-6.3 Shot at 264 mm
    Aperture priority AE, 1/320 sec, f/8, ISO 400, Ev -1

Bart ...
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LEICA DG 100-400/F4-6.3 Shot at 400 mm
    Aperture priority AE, 0.5 sec, f/13, ISO 100, Ev +0.3 | tripod used, lens and camera stabilisation both switched off

need a better more suitable object for testing ... a stuffed bird perhaps ?
    Bart ...
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Aperture priority AE, 4 sec, f/9, ISO 100, Ev +0.3 | tripod used, lens and camera stabilisation both switched off

Preliminary conclusion: at close range (1,5 - 2,0 mtr) at 400mm on a tripod with stabilisation switched off it is actually not too bad ...
    To do: a test with and without stabilisation and a long range test.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Aperture priority AE, 0.5 sec, f/13, ISO 100, Ev +0.3 | tripod used, lens and camera stabilisation both switched off

need a better more suitable object for testing ... a stuffed bird perhaps ?
    It's a Leica... beautiful delicate tones.

I just wish one of the two I have on order would finally come through!

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    It's a Leica... beautiful delicate tones.

I just wish one of the two I have on order would finally come through!

LouisB
    This lens seems indeed to have beautiful color, contrast and sharpness!
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

Yippee! Mine is finally on its way to me and I should have it tomorrow!

LouisB
    -----

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LEICA DG 100-400/F4-6.3 Shot at 400 mm : distance 7,5 mtr
    Aperture priority AE, 0.2 sec, f/8, ISO 100, Ev +0.3 | tripod used, lens and camera stabilisation both switched off

Bart ...
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My lens was delayed by four days due to a SNAFU by Royal Mail, so this evening I finally have it in my hands and have only had about half an hour in late evening light to try it out.

First impression: wow! These are all hand held and with minor alterations in LR, taken with GX8. Not my best work but still impressive for quick and dirty photographs. I am sure better technique and a longer time to take the shots will lead to much better results.

This last shot, like Knorp's above shows to me that the lens is a 'Leica'
    -----

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, Louis. It looks already pretty good to me

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Too bad about that shiny spider thread, but these tulips are just gorgeous

Posted this also in "Artful pics of flora..."
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Gosling, Regent's Canal, today.

-----
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Still struggling with the long end long distance shots with this lens ...

Bart ...
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^ Bart - you need steady hands, plus high burst setting - but you nailed the shot. ^^^^

Thiis is from today. Hand-held and this is a near 100% crop demonstrating the strengths of the sensor and the lens. Not the most attractive animal - a Coot with a recently hatched chick, I know because the chick was not there yesterday. Only had it 4 days already I love this lens.

-----

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    ^^^^ Bart - you need steady hands, plus high burst setting - but you nailed the shot. ^^^^
    Absolutely nailed it, but that's where the struggle starts for me ...
    Still, I'm happy with this lens.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Allez hop ...

Bart ...
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This one kinda justifies the asking price of the lens. To me, at least. This is about 60% of the frame.

-----

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent shot, Louis
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent shot, Louis
    I've been using both my monopod and hand holding. I get more keepers hand holding which says something about the manoeuvrability of the lens, imho.

I'm feeling really glad that I bought back into m43rds.

LouisB
    -----

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LEICA DG 100-400/F4-6.3 Shot at 400 mm : distance ... 'longish'
    Aperture priority AE, 1/160 sec, f/8, ISO 400, Ev -0.7 | tripod used, lens and camera stabilisation both switched off

Bart ...
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

LEICA DG 100-400/F4-6.3 Shot at 400 mm : distance ... 'longish'
    Aperture priority AE, 1/160 sec, f/8, ISO 400, Ev -0.7 | tripod used, lens and camera stabilisation both switched off
    I really do like what I see from this lens so far.

Have a question question WRT using both camera IBIS of EM1 and lens OIS - does it work ok?

Or does it only work perfect in combination with GX8?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I really do like what I see from this lens so far.

Have a question question WRT using both camera IBIS of EM1 and lens OIS - does it work ok?

Or does it only work perfect in combination with GX8?

Thanks in advance.

Peter
    K-H did some extensive investigation and recommendation regarding IBIS, OIS and Dual IS.
    The best combo obviously is the PL 100-400 and GX8.

So far I've done hand-held with everything switched on and tripod with everything switched off.
    Still to do the various combinations ...

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Knorp; 9th May 2016 at 14:09. Reason: Typo
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bart, handheld on an Olympus camera, I would switch on either the lens IS or IBIS, but not both. Then at least you know what you are dealing with. When switching on both then I have no idea what's happeing. One would think in that case one system or the other would get switched off to avoid interference. But I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen. I have found no reference for that, except to use one or the other, but no both. As it's a 400 mm lens I would start with lens IS and see whether that improves your current handheld experience. Good luck and please let us know what you find.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Bart ...
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LEICA DG 100-400/F4-6.3 Shot at 300 mm
    Aperture priority AE, 1/40 sec, f/5.7, ISO 1000, Ev -0.3

slightly visible: a nasty noisy patch right under the monkey's mouth/throat
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LEICA DG 100-400/F4-6.3 Shot at 300 mm
    Aperture priority AE, 1/40 sec, f/5.7, ISO 1000, Ev -0.3

slightly visible: a nasty noisy patch right under the monkey's mouth/throat

Look at it on an iPad and the noise is gone

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Firmware update for the big gun ... Joint update service for OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 19.18.39.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	124655  
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Firmware update for the big gun ... Joint update service for OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM
    What does this exactly mean?

Will this enable to use Dual IS with that lens also on the Olympus EM1.2 ?????

That would be wonderful indeed!