The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

dhsimmonds

I have to say that my experience with the Panasonic 100-300 has been excellent and I use it with one of two Olympus E-M1 bodies. It focuses quick and very sharp with the lens IS switched off and IBIS on. That camera/lens combo has earned me many wildlife images accepted for exhibitions around the world. It is neither splash or dustproof but has served me well from South America to the wet areas of Botswana and the deserts of Namibia without any problems whatsoever.

I did have the mZuiko 75-300 lens which just did not perform in the same way for either focusing accuracy or image quality. My Panasonic DG Leica 45mm prime lens is also a trusted favourite as it makes superb images with a particularly smooth bokeh. It deals with specular highlights particularly well and this can sometimes be a problem when making images of wildlife in their natural environment in the bush. I am hoping that the Panaleica DG 100-400 will be similarly blessed!

The Premium and Pro lenses from Olympus are usually clinically sharp but tend to make a "colder"image than the Panaleica lenses in my eyes. To put it another way they are more 'artistic' in their rendering. Each has it's own uses as I would use the mZuiko 60mm in preference to the Panaleica 45 macro for fine detail work with insects as an example. They are all just tools for the job in hand and your hands may be quite different!

"Teasel Teaser"
E-M5 and Panaleica DG 45mm lens also used for the following image:

"Whiskers"
click on images to view larger images.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Hi Dave, those are terrific shots.

Dark-Eyed Junco shot from yesterday. (I have to get back into the OM-D menus to get ready for the new tele lenses!) :facesmack:

E-M1 + 75-300/4.8-6.7 II @ 300 mm

This is an OOC jpg, slightly modified and reduced in size, but not cropped.
So a bit more reach would be great.
The 100-400/4-6.3 mm or 300/4 mm lens with 1.4x extender would achieve just that.
I like the IQ of the above shot though. ::thumbup:

dhsimmonds

A Panasonic 100-300 lens image on the Olympus E-M1

The "Thieving Magpie" having stolen a baked potato, proceeds to devour it eagerly! An example from this lens cropped approx. 50%

Note for Louis, I took this on a local bird watching trip to Brownsea Island last year! Whilst the twitchers are busy spotting birds with their binoculars, I am taking images and spotting them through the viewfinder! I can get to some places that would be closed to me as just a photographer and I am well accepted by the twitchers as I can keep them supplied with images for our website! It's not just birds either, I have gone to places where there are deer, otters and many different types of insects including butterflies. It makes a change from the wildlife of London's streets! As I say , the critters do one of three things, run or fly away, attack you or if you are lucky and patient even pose for you! One thing they never do is attempt to prosecute you!

Attachments

Last edited:

biglouis

A Panasonic 100-300 lens image on the Olympus E-M1

The "Thieving Magpie" having stolen a baked potato, proceeds to devour it eagerly! An example from this lens cropped approx. 50%

Note for Louis, I took this on a local bird watching trip to Brownsea Island last year! Whilst the twitchers are busy spotting birds with their binoculars, I am taking images and spotting them through the viewfinder! I can get to some places that would be closed to me as just a photographer and I am well accepted by the twitchers as I can keep them supplied with images for our website! It's not just birds either, I have gone to places where there are deer, otters and many different types of insects including butterflies. It makes a change from the wildlife of London's streets! As I say , the critters do one of three things, run or fly away, attack you or if you are lucky and patient even pose for you! One thing they never do is attempt to prosecute you!
Great shots, Dave.

I hope that I'll get to more exotic climes than just Whitechapel with the 100-400 as and when it arrives!

Interesting what you say about using the lens as a virtual binocular. I sometimes think photographers forget that with long lenses and massive sensors they can see things better than with just binoculars.

LouisB

dhsimmonds

In the last chart, I assume that the "Group" refers to lens used but there is no definition of which lenses. I presume that Group A refers to the mZuiko Pro lenses updated to latest firmware? If the new Panaleica DG lens is an IS problem on the E-M1 I would prefer to get a GX8 body and trade in one of my E-M1 bodies rather than get the mZuiko 300 Pro lens.

Knorp

In the last chart, I assume that the "Group" refers to lens used but there is no definition of which lenses. I presume that Group A refers to the mZuiko Pro lenses updated to latest firmware? If the new Panaleica DG lens is an IS problem on the E-M1 I would prefer to get a GX8 body and trade in one of my E-M1 bodies rather than get the mZuiko 300 Pro lens.
I'm also thinking of getting a GX8 rather than the 300, after all it is the cheaper option of the two.
Besides, the EM1 is sooo old school ... ;)

k-hawinkler

Dave, Bart,

Thanks. And so it goes. Good thinking!
When will the E-M1.2 supposedly show up and what sensor will it have? :bugeyes:

I will start with the 300/4 and see what it does before I start considering the 100-400 as well. :grin:
The 300/4 with extender should work very well for these kinds of shots. :thumbup:

E-M1 + 75-300/4.8-6.7 II

Knorp

Dave, Bart,

Thanks. And so it goes. Good thinking!
When will the E-M1.2 supposedly show up and what sensor will it have? :bugeyes:

I will start with the 300/4 and see what it does before I start considering the 100-400 as well. :grin:
The 300/4 with extender should work very well for these kinds of shots. :thumbup:
No doubt in my mind that the 300 is a smashing piece of kit, but as stated previously I do prefer the zoom ... :salute:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The EM1m2 should arrive around Photokina 2016, or at least be announced, which would mean availability by end of 2016 (I assume same pattern as with the original EM1 back in 2013).

Most likely the EM1m2 should have the 20MP sensor which we will already see in the PenF to be announced shortly. With the advancements in sensor technology from Sony over the past years this new sensor should have also better DR and high ISO capabilities and support 4K. But we will see shortly!

Overall good news for the m43 Olympus camp I guess :)

dhsimmonds

I have received a personal VIP invitation to an Olympus announcement to be made at the London Design Museum regarding a new Olympus product. It is probably the new Pen camera and it's sensor, but I am just guessing. It could always be the EM1Mk2 but I somehow doubt it. The date is 27th January but I am unable to go but the press will have full details and I can wait!

"You are invited to the Design Museum, the world's leading museum devoted to contemporary design in every form, to celebrate a special Olympus Camera."

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have received a personal VIP invitation to an Olympus announcement to be made at the London Design Museum regarding a new Olympus product. It is probably the new Pen camera and it's sensor, but I am just guessing. It could always be the EM1Mk2 but I somehow doubt it. The date is 27th January but I am unable to go but the press will have full details and I can wait!

"You are invited to the Design Museum, the world's leading museum devoted to contemporary design in every form, to celebrate a special Olympus Camera."
Also think it is most likely the new PenF.

So we should know details at least by Wednesday next week :)

I actually hope that they at least show some mockups or at least planned schedule of the rumored upcoming high speed primes :eek:

Knorp

No doubt it's all about the new PEN-F: see this link => First real world images of the new PEN-F

source: 43rumors.com

k-hawinkler

K-H, you could be in for a serious system shock, check out this post: Olympus full frame lens patent

:chug:

Thanks Bart. Couldn't we all be in for a serious system shock then?
BTW, what kind of system shock does your crystal ball indicate?

I am hopeful at least one of my OM-D cameras will still work for a long while.
So nothing to worry about even if I buy no more Olympus gear after I get my 300/4. :ROTFL:

Last edited:

Elderly

I'm no VIP but I received one of these invitations too.

I didn't read it as the launch of a new camera because it's being held in a museum ( museums = the past to me ) and they use the word 'celebrate' which so often is used at funerals :D.

Knorp

I'm no VIP but I received one of these invitations too.

I didn't read it as the launch of a new camera because it's being held in a museum ( museums = the past to me ) and they use the word 'celebrate' which so often is used at funerals :D.
C'mon Ian, why so gloomy ? Cheer up ! The invitation does say 'contemporary design', right ? So get ready and consider yourself a VIP !