The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I noticed the link this morning and only managed to look at the samples now.

How is it that Dpreview are consistently able to take the best kit available and create truly mediocre test samples?

LouisB
Something I also do not understand. I meanwhile have lost lot of desire to look at their site - really degraded overall during the past years :thumbdown:

Peter

Knorp

I noticed the link this morning and only managed to look at the samples now.

How is it that Dpreview are consistently able to take the best kit available and create truly mediocre test samples?

LouisB
I've got to agree: the provided samples here are not convincing, to say the least.

dhsimmonds

I have placed my pre-order for this lens, but so far I much prefer the images that I have seen so far from the Oly 300mm. I just hope that someone else will produce images in the field that will inspire me to retain my order. :thumbdown:

Compare with Robin Wong's Olympus Pro 300/F4 images and he is a self confessed non sports or wildlife photographer!

Last edited:

biglouis

And even more samples: New Panasonic 100-400mm lens test by Daniel Cox | Photoshelter

But is it me or are these samples lacking 'bite' and sharpness ?

:watch:
This may be a dumb question but how do you know these were shot with the 100-400?

I quite like them, in fact I think they are an improvement on his original photos but I can't see any EXIF info or explanation on the pages which say which camera and which lens he was using.

TIA for showing me where this.

LouisB

Knorp

Thanks for that dpreview link, K-H.
Indeed, those are the same images and not sure yet and while they look a bit better that could be due to the smaller format.
The same images in the link in my post are much larger.
No time now to do a thorough comparison, it has to wait till this evening when I'm back from work.

Kind regards.

biglouis

Thanks for that dpreview link, K-H.
Indeed, those are the same images and not sure yet and while they look a bit better that could be due to the smaller format.
The same images in the link in my post are much larger.
No time now to do a thorough comparison, it has to wait till this evening when I'm back from work.

Kind regards.
Thanks, Peter. Promising indeed, but still - I also find those images lack the 'bite' of the Oly 300 ... K-H's samples proof to be excellent in my view.

Kind regards.
Thanks all for clarifying the links. The video is amazing. I can't believe the punishment the GX8 and that lens is taking. Giving that the lens extends I would have expected that no amount of weather sealing would protect it (especially looking at all the snow on it while it is extended) but it seems to work.

I like the photographs - they are much better than the Dpreview samples gallery which was quite bland.

If anything my desire for the lens is increased further!

LouisB

k-hawinkler

Thanks all for clarifying the links. The video is amazing. I can't believe the punishment the GX8 and that lens is taking. Giving that the lens extends I would have expected that no amount of weather sealing would protect it (especially looking at all the snow on it while it is extended) but it seems to work.

I like the photographs - they are much better than the Dpreview samples gallery which was quite bland.

If anything my desire for the lens is increased further!

LouisB

Well in that case you already have the fitting camera, the GX8.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx8-review
Congrats and good luck with getting the lens soon!
I am looking forward to your images taken with that combination!

Last edited:

dhsimmonds

Well as many know from this thread and others, I am a devotee of Lumix Leica DG lenses and for wildlife in particular, of zoom lenses. However whilst the snow monkey sequence is very good this lens so far is not producing images with the wow factor (contrast, sharpness etc} that I am seeing for similar images produced with the Olympus mZuiko 300/F4. This review is a good example, just scroll down to the images Robin Wong: Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS PRO Lens Review
There are a number of similar reviews

I am seriously considering canceling my order for the 100-400 in favour of the 300/F4 and try to get used to the extra bulk and keep the mZuiko 50-150Pro on my other E-M1 body for when the darned critters decide to get closer!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks, Peter. Promising indeed, but still - I also find those images lack the 'bite' of the Oly 300 ... K-H's samples proof to be excellent in my view.

Kind regards.
I quite agree!

- - - Updated - - -

Well as many know from this thread and others, I am a devotee of Lumix Leica DG lenses and for wildlife in particular, of zoom lenses. However whilst the snow monkey sequence is very good this lens so far is not producing images with the wow factor (contrast, sharpness etc} that I am seeing for similar images produced with the Olympus mZuiko 300/F4. This review is a good example, just scroll down to the images Robin Wong: Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS PRO Lens Review

I am seriously considering canceling my order for the 100-400 in favour of the 300/F4 and try to get used to the extra bulk and keep the mZuiko 50-150Pro on my other E-M1 body for when the darned critters decide to get closer!
I exactly feel the same way!

Peter

biglouis

I think you should. In my case part of the decision is budget. I just don't feel comfortable spending the additional £700 for the 300/4. But I have to agree the output of the 300/4 looks amazing. As you may have read I am extremely - let me emphasise that - EXTREMELY - pleased with the Oly 7-14 I bought. The first ever Oly lens I have owned, so I can appreciate they may have the edge on Lumix DG Leica glass.

LouisB

k-hawinkler

My favorite - and only - Lumix Leica DG lens: Nocticron 42.5/1.2 :thumbs:
My favorite Oly lenses: 7-14/2.8, 12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8, 300/4, MC-14 :thumbs: and the 75-300/4.8-6.7 II :LOL:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I had a more detailed look at the video from the 100-400 and while I am still not too impressed with the results which are shown it should be clear that these shots were taken under much more suboptimal conditions (humidity, fog, etc.) like the Robin Wong shots from the SA safari with the Olympus 4/300.

This might also be one of the reasons why the Oly lens shines in comparison to the PanaLeica lens - just to be fair.

Having said this - I am still tending more now to the Oly 4/300, as Olympus is my main (only so far) m43 system and the 300 would be a great complement to the 2.8/40-150 and the TC1.4 I already own.

Just hoping for the new EM1 mark2 to be released sooner than later - I WANT that new 20MP sensor which performs already superbly in the PenF.

Annna T

My favorite - and only - Lumix Leica DG lens: Nocticron 42.5/1.2 :thumbs:
My favorite Oly lenses: 7-14/2.8, 12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8, 300/4, MC-14 :thumbs: and the 75-300/4.8-6.7 II :LOL:
My favorite lenses for MFT :

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8, Olympus 75mm F1.8
Panasonic 25mm F1.4, Panasonic 20mm F1.7

I like the results of the 40-150mm F2.8, but can't put it among the favorite as it is too big and too cumbersome.

Other lenses I like less :
Olympus 12mm F2 (the pro zoom is just as sharp), Olympus 45mm F2.8 (my copy is decentered)
Panasonic 7-14mm F4 (it can exhibit purple blobs on Sony sensors) Panasonic 14mm F2.4 Pancake (I like the size but it has too much distorsion)
Samyang 8mm F3.5 fisheye (difficult to focus correctly or I have got a bad copy).

Lenses I don't care for :
Olympus 12-50mm zoom and the slower 40-150mm (it is light and very nice to handle but once you have seen the results if the pro version you don't want to shoot with it anymore).